Login

russian armor

Why shouldn't CoH3 be set in WW1 instead?

15 Jun 2018, 12:42 PM

Relic has done WW2 twice now and The Great War mod shows a lot of promise for CoH in WW1, a friend of mine even made an edit of that mod focusing more on the trench warfare aspect of the war in 1915-1917 instead of the more mobile and open warfare of 1918.

Here's a link to the group for anyone who is interested in seeing what exactly I'm talking about: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/TGWWVPMedit

Anyhow, my point is that I think the PC FPS and RTS market is oversaturated by WW2 and Modern games and there are few set in WW1 so there's a lot to experiment with and develop, plus having some recent popular games such as Battlefield 1, Iron Harvest (sort of) and Verdun/Tannenberg draw a lot of attention to WW1 there seems to be a huge lack of WW1 RTS games, not to mention that lack of good such, most are either mods or incomplete.

How I imagine it would work out is as usual as CoH has been, you start a match as either 4 of the Entente Armies (France, British Empire, Italy and Russian Empire) or 4 of the Central Power Armies (German Empire, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria) plus some minor countries such as Canada and the ANZACs appearing in doctrines for the British while perhaps the US could be featured as foreign reinforcement units for the French as it was planned in the TGW mod.

Anyhow, the match could go in 2 of these ways: Either mobile warfare of 1918 (or Eastern Front) ala vanilla CoH but set in WW1 or full on Trench Warfare.

How you would achieve that is by having the player choose between either teching up with his fuel or deciding to dig in by making trenches cost fuel as well.

Pillboxes would be constructed by engineer units while weapon teams such as Machine Guns, Trench Mortars, Field guns and Howitzers would play an even bigger part in the game than before as they will be the main tools you will use as to hold and attack trench lines.

To go in a bit more of a detail in these weapon systems, you can probably already guess the role of the Machine Gun so I won't go into it, Trench Mortars would basically act as light and short ranged indirect fire artillery meant to weaken the enemy in their trenches, Field Guns would basically act as AT guns but also as bunker buster weapons that could also be loaded with shrapnel for use against infantry in the open as well, they could either be pushed slowly or towed by a truck. Howitzers would be heavier indirect fire artillery capable of firing a barrage of rounds in a target area, smoke, gas and creeping barrages from specific doctrines. To top it off I would also suggest these weapon teams being able to dig themselves in.

Heavier guns such as the Big Bertha could perhaps be only towed or built by engineer units or just featured as heavy off-map artillery.

Some maps could also perhaps feature "No Man's Land" a territory between trenches that belongs to no one, meaning it could only contain barbedwire, mines and sandbags as well as shell craters, small pieces of land on the map borders would connect the territories that are separated by the No Man's Land.

Vehicles such as Staff Cars, Trucks, Armored Cars, Tanks and perhaps even Cavalry would play a huge role in the game as well, they will respectively have their own roles such as transporting officer units around, transport guns and infantry around the front where they are needed, feel in gaps in the line and help assault enemy trenches, Cavalry as in the real world would be useless charging MGs with but perhaps could be used in great effect in the early trench-less game phase or if the game doesn't go the trench route.

All in all I believe that the concept of CoH in WW1 that The Great War mod and soon to be Iron Harvest are presenting is a good motivator to go for something new and not as experienced, CoH has the needed systems in the form of cover (I forgot to mention that there would be a 4th type of cover, Trench Cover), terrain destruction and so forth in order to portray a believable WW1 game scenario, not to mention the many stories which can be told such as those of the ANZACs at Gallipoli and Africa, the Canadians at Passchendaele, the French at Verdun, the German offensive of 1918, the Bulgarians on the Balkans, the British at the Somme, the US at the Meuse-Ardennes Offensive and so forth.

Thanks for reading, cheers and have a nice day.
15 Jun 2018, 13:04 PM

Because vast majority of WW1 was just shooting from trenches, artillery and gas attacks.

Better stick to Iron Harvest for "WW1-like" experience.
15 Jun 2018, 13:04 PM

Noone like the war style form WW1. Sit in trench for ages and arty fest the enemy....oh wait..brits working like this.
15 Jun 2018, 13:33 PM

Just because they disagree with you, it doesn't mean that they're trolls.

I agree with them, nobody likes prequels.
Not
15 Jun 2018, 13:45 PM

The Great War mod and the edit of it by my friend make both of your points irrelevant so refrain from posting on this topic again if you have nothing more to add, if not you will be reported, I've had it arguing with the 2 biggest trolls on these forums, it's like talking to a brick wall.
The biggest troll is you are while posting on balance forums.
WW1 was boring, almost no tanks, meaning there is nothing was something relative, to promise a dynamic combat that we have in CoH2. And yes, if you want to say something aboud "my mom's work", post here screenshots and videos, so we all can see his work.

The most important, work on CoH3 is already began so whole topic sadly is wasted.
15 Jun 2018, 14:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2018, 13:04 PMKatitof
Because vast majority of WW1 was just shooting from trenches, artillery and gas attacks.

Noone like the war style form WW1. Sit in trench for ages and arty fest the enemy....oh wait..brits working like this.

if you knew anything about history you would know the overwhelming majority of causalities during WW2 were from artillery too.

If CoH2 was true to events like you claim with WW1 then it would be boring as well, every OKW game would be spent trying to transport horses and half-tracks across open French roads in Falaise while American and British artillery shell and destroy your entire army.

....but this is CoH and CoH can take historical liberties (IR halftracks, firefly rockets, IR obersoldaten, pinpoint stuka bombs). I don't see why CoH or a CoH spin off game wouldn't work in the setting. (it would just be a lot more squad and infantry based with more micro, light vehicles and less tanks).
15 Jun 2018, 15:49 PM

Just because they disagree with you, it doesn't mean that they're trolls.

I agree with them, nobody likes prequels.

One is a proven troll that has no opinion of his while the other is a well known Axis fanboy and I provide proof of what they say is false these is no more discussion to be had with them unless they bring something new to the table rather than old bullshit.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2018, 13:45 PMNot
The biggest troll is you are while posting on balance forums.
WW1 was boring, almost no tanks, meaning there is nothing was something relative, to promise a dynamic combat that we have in CoH2. And yes, if you want to say something aboud "my mom's work", post here screenshots and videos, so we all can see his work.

The most important, work on CoH3 is already began so whole topic sadly is wasted.

Oh so I'm a troll for posting my opinion but their passive aggressive shit is fine? Plus, this is not the balance forums so shoo on to there, I hadn't posted there in about a month or 2 anyhow until recently and that was just out of anger.

And if you really believe that WW1 was boring then you really have learned nothing from history, you want pictures? Here: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045598073/screenshots/?appid=228200&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

There are sadly no videos but feel free to download the mod and try out, we usually play during European nights in the weekend, but since I know you won't bother thanks for just wasting my time replying to you.

Work on CoH3 should and probably would be stopped immediately if SEGA orders a change in direction or Relic themselves figure they'll make the same flop as Dawn of War 3 so nothing is set in stone until the game is released plus many of the same systems which already exist and are implemented will be used not a lot new stuff so I don't see the problem here, you're just obviously not very keen on game development.
15 Jun 2018, 20:52 PM

Just play the huge ww1 mod for vCoh.
15 Jun 2018, 22:49 PM

WW1 wouldn´t be that bad... People act like it was only trench warfare but it wasn´t. Also no one would really bat an eyelid if Relic portrayed WW1 a bit more dynamic than it really was.

I´d prefer WW1 over any modern scenario. Maybe even over the boring, overdone western front France 1944 WW2 scenario.
16 Jun 2018, 01:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Are there enough eye candy toys for people to use and make them want a WW1 game? The perspective of an FPS is completely different than the one you have on an RTS. Iron Harvest is too far away from a WW1 experience by having a steampunk mecha units attached to it.

Not sure how you would handle vehicle warfare, specially since most of them are kinda ugly or clunky to use. You could take liberties but most tanks would be JT slow.

The core of the CoH game is much more dynamic playstyle that i think that a WW1 setting is more likely to be done correctly on a game such as Men of War, for how "frontally" and delimited territories are in that game.

PD: WW1 is not only Verdun, but i don't think other scenarios would translate as well in the CoH engine neither. For ex: height and elevations are managed poorly by teh game.
16 Jun 2018, 08:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2018, 13:04 PMKatitof

The Eastern Front in its length was much larger than the Western Front. For this reason, the war on the Eastern Front was less positional in character than the Western Front.
16 Jun 2018, 10:19 AM

It'd be difficult. If you say WW1 everyone expects trench stalemates. It'd be hard to meet expectations and make a good strategy game at the same time.
16 Jun 2018, 10:28 AM
Donator 11

It is 100% certain they are going to do ww2. How would they fall back from a fancy front to ww2 western front if they choose a different time period? :D

Not sure how you would handle vehicle warfare, specially since most of them are kinda ugly or clunky to use. You could take liberties but most tanks would be JT slow.

As for vehicles, try playing Battlefield 1. All the vehicles in this game move as fast and agile as if they were modern tanks and cars :D It is totally not historically accurate but I guess most people fail to even imagine how slow these things actually were so this "version" of history would suit coh better, just like it suits battlefield better.
16 Jun 2018, 10:47 AM

How about nope ! WW1 theme already ruined a game i liked(BattleField), i would like to keep playing COH.
16 Jun 2018, 11:02 AM

How about nope ! WW1 theme already ruined a game i liked(BattleField), i would like to keep playing COH.

Dice ruined Battlefield 1. Not WW1. Just like they are going to ruin BF V. Trash game developer and terrible publisher (EA).
16 Jun 2018, 13:53 PM

Battlefield 1 is not set in world war 1.

All in all, it would be great but there is too much folks who will not accept anything other than western front 44-45 for a setting. CoH could work in ww1 and it could work nearly flawlessly for 39-41 ww2 but noone is going to do it, because you cannot release a ww2 game that does not feature USA and those late Wehrmacht vehicles that make so many people fap over them.
16 Jun 2018, 19:02 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As for vehicles, try playing Battlefield 1. All the vehicles in this game move as fast and agile as if they were modern tanks and cars :D It is totally not historically accurate but I guess most people fail to even imagine how slow these things actually were so this "version" of history would suit coh better, just like it suits battlefield better.

You can basically outrun or keep the pace with any of the tanks with the exception of the single light tank, the FT (basically Stuart). They are all turretless. MK, St Chamond, A7V (german brick). There's a reason they removed angle/crit damage from infantry sources, as well as nerfing other AT tools (dynamite/mines), because they don't have the same maneuverability nor firepower as older battlefields.

As i said, they all play like using a JT. You slowly creep terrain, you shoot from distance and the moment you get flanked, you die.

For other vehicles in BF1, the Putilov is basically the USF HT with an AT gun instead. I guess you have a mobile artillery/mortar/aa gun and then you have jeeps/bikes (which handle like crap) and armored cars. Oh, you have horses but not sure how would you handle them in game (Relic first patch will remove horse crush).

The concept of "medium" tank doesn't exist as well as variety of vehicles for each faction.

Offtopic:

Dice ruined Battlefield 1. Not WW1.

How so ? If you could answer me with a spoiler tag that would be great.

16 Jun 2018, 19:39 PM

I would prefer seeing a CoH with an african campaign than a WW1 CoH which would basicly have no gameplay except rushing to enemy trenches,then falling back again,calling for arty and then rushing again
16 Jun 2018, 19:50 PM
Patrion 14

i am sure if anyone of us actually spend enough time and thought power to imagine how to make CoH style game in any setting, be it ww1, modern warfare, etc etc, we can figure things out so it'll be fun.

but that's game developer's job. so yea, ww1 setting would be cool for me, not sure how it will work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 50
unknown 10
unknown 10

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak