Login

russian armor

Heavy Gammon bombs (hammer/anvil redesign)

30 Apr 2018, 11:58 AM

these things cost 75 muni but they pretty much suck, they can't even one shot an MG bunker like penal satchels do iirc and even the Jagdtiger can dodge them by driving 5cm backwards.

They need to be made useful rather than a lulz ability that only kills anything if your opponent is asleep.

Now my proposed FIX:

It would be pretty interesting if the brits had to pick between tulip rockets in hammer or buffed gammon bombs (that have slightly shorter range than a faust but more damage and 3 second stun) in anvil if you ask me. Both snare type abilities but different uses in offence and defence, to balance out the weaker firefly tracking could be swapped out with tulips and made a 40muni upgrade.
30 Apr 2018, 12:03 PM

Making a good and unrelated ability limited will not make a shitty, expensive and unreliable ability good or even look good.

Gammon bombs suffer from identity crisis.

They want to be satchel charges, but they are too weak for that.
They want to be AT nades, but are too shitty for that too as they have long fuse and do not stick.
They want to be a potent nades, but you can throw them 50cm away.

They do believe they are all of the above, so they cost as much as all of the above combined.
30 Apr 2018, 12:30 PM

A Firefly without Tulips is useless.
30 Apr 2018, 12:33 PM

Gammon bombs have (slightly) better stats than (normal) satchels, so they are at least equal.
30 Apr 2018, 12:43 PM

A Firefly without Tulips is useless.

Having it crutch on tulips is bad game design anyway, they should be an extra tool to help deal with JT, KT or Ele rather than an ability you have to spam every game to survive against panthers or stugs. Rof tweak to jackson levels if it still struggles without them
30 Apr 2018, 12:48 PM

Having it crutch on tulips is bad game design anyway, they should be an extra tool to help deal with JT, KT or Ele rather than an ability you have to spam every game to survive against panthers or stugs. Rof tweak to jackson levels if it still struggles without them

You'd rather have another Jacksone clone, but on steroids with hammer?
Because you can not possibly believe FF would not be buffed from 8sec to 6sec reload if it lost default tulips.

Gammon bombs suck because that is a shitty ability, not because other ability works fine.

If you have a plane with 2 engines and one does not work, you fix broken engine, not throw a wrench inside the working one.

So focus on ideas on how to make gammon bombs not a complete POS.
30 Apr 2018, 12:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2018, 12:48 PMKatitof

You'd rather have another Jacksone clone, but on steroids with hammer?
Because you can not possibly believe FF would not be buffed from 8sec to 6sec reload if it lost default tulips.

I'm not saying make it a clone, but possibly 7sec is the sweetspot.

It would still be stronger than it is now and not borderline OP as it was with the old vet 3 damage bonus. Tulips shouldn't be a crutch they should be a tool, just like puma has target weakspot for example.
30 Apr 2018, 13:17 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2018, 12:03 PMKatitof
Making a good and unrelated ability limited will not make a shitty, expensive and unreliable ability good or even look good.

Gammon bombs suffer from identity crisis.

They want to be satchel charges, but they are too weak for that.
They want to be AT nades, but are too shitty for that too as they have long fuse and do not stick.
They want to be a potent nades, but you can throw them 50cm away.

They do believe they are all of the above, so they cost as much as all of the above combined.

>Thread<

Katitof is right tbh, the Gamma bomb needs to be one of the three but cant be all if you want it to clear bunkers. TBH it would be nice to have it clear bunkers since brits lack indirect anyways to deal with them but thats a whole other topic.
30 Apr 2018, 13:57 PM

Penal satchels:
Range 0 - 10
Penetration near

AOE Radius 5
Distance near 1.25
Distance mid 2.5
Distance far 3.75
Damage near 340
Damage mid 255
Damage far 85

Target Table
Target type vehicle
Damage multi 0.7058824
Extra damage 340, Requires types: building

Gammon bomb
Range 5 - 12
Penetration near 1000
AOE Radius
Distance near 1.25
Distance mid 2.5
Distance far 3.75
Damage near 340
Damage mid 255
Damage far 85

Target Table

Target type vehicle
Accuracy multi 1
Damage multi 0.7058824
Extra damage 340, Requires types: building

Some people need to check stat before posting.
(Gammon bombs are 50 mu not 70 stat are about the same with Gammon having more range and being able to stun tanks)
30 Apr 2018, 16:35 PM

If I were to change gammon bombs I would say just make it so that they work like the old AT Satchel where they track but cancel if the tank drives out of range. A tracking gammon bomb that only causes temporary engine damage wouldn't be OP and would be a soft fix to the Brit's problem of lacking snares without being a major redesign since it'd be a teching choice and come fairly late. Otherwise I tend to agree that they are aren't very useful at all unless it's against the most braindead of opponents. Plus I'm pretty sure Relic always intended Gammon bombs to be an additional snare option for Brits but the timer just makes them impossible to use as a snare.
30 Apr 2018, 16:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2018, 13:57 PMVipper

Some people need to check stat before posting.
(Gammon bombs are 50 mu not 70 stat are about the same with Gammon having more range and being able to stun tanks)

Indeed I admit I was wrong, but this ability is so rarely used literally noone has noticed the patchnotes.

relic notes

Pointless change. Relic want them for "clearing garrisons" when 24mins into a game when they are unlocked the map is already a moonscape with no buildings in sight.

Make it a snare and people will pick hammer/anvil tech again rather than spamming cromwells or fireflies.
30 Apr 2018, 17:23 PM

Indeed I admit I was wrong, but this ability is so rarely used literally noone has noticed the patchnotes.

Everyone makes a mistakes from time to time, only the wise thou admit it, so congratulations. Some choose to insist in their error making more mistake in the process.

The ability can be powerful if it lands but the chances are small. As many other things in the game it should be more reliable and less powerful.
1 May 2018, 18:29 PM

I agree, tracking gammon bombs with temporary snaring would be perfect. Seeing as I don't ever use them cos Mill's bombs are so good anyway. UKF have definitely had a power creep in terms of their dueling axis heavy armour ability.

At release, the lack of snares was fine because UKF had insane anti tank ability, the comet was just a better panther that could kill infantry and the firefly had temporary snaring on the tulips which also dealt insane damage, Piats would just flatten anything en masse if you could aim them and the 6 pdr was (still is until next patch) totally brokenly good, that was all patched out leaving UKF on par with every other faction but without snares (except dank hunters). The gammon bomb I reckon is the perfect thing to make snare, unless you gave sappers at grenades. Perhaps make the gammon bomb guided and temporary snaring like the satchel and give dank hunters something better and permanently snaring? or cheaper that comes earlier? Or whatever. Only issue I can think of is snares combined with the 17 pdr being a little silly, although axis can do that with the PaK43 and jagtiger/elefant so it clearly isn't that much of an issue to relic.

Seeing as Literally every Axis infantry apart from Obersoldaten have snares, I think it's probably fair enough that Brits get one, and/or just remove half of the axis snares. (honestly ridiculous if you ask me, can't even approach axis infantry without getting snared whereas axis tanks do what they like, Volksgrenadiers, grenadiers, fallschirmjaegers, Panzerfusiliers, Jaeger light infantry even Osttrupen for christ's sake and everything else has panzerschreks except for assault grenadiers and obers.............................and UKF get nothing.) It's time for UKF snares if you ask me. :P
1 May 2018, 18:50 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Jaegers dont have fausts/snares. Not that you mentioned them and not that its all to relevant to your point, but pgrens dont have snares either. Assault grens are, well.....yeah
1 May 2018, 20:53 PM

Pgrens, sturms and stormtroopers have (or can have) Panzerschreks though which melt armour anyway. Maybe jaegers don't, been a while since I played OKW scavenge doctrine so maybe I'm remembering wrong but they're rare anyway, and all axis line infantry do and so do some elites and if they don't have fausts they have schreks was more my point. :P

And yeah Assault grens are... yeah, a waste of skin to be honest.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 53
United States 16
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak