Login

russian armor

Early obersoldaten

26 Apr 2018, 14:42 PM

Anyone have done it? to rush to t3 for early obersoldaten?I mean if you have already 3 squads of volks vet 3+ why you need to replace them with obers?thoughts?
26 Apr 2018, 14:53 PM

A Vet 0 Obersoldaten squad with LMG42 upgrade is much deadlier than even a Vet-5 Volksgrenadier - Plus the earlier you get the Ober, the longer it has to kill anything with a heartbeat.
26 Apr 2018, 16:18 PM

*LMG 34, not 42.
26 Apr 2018, 16:24 PM

Realistically, Obers are not a good choice except as situational troops. In most cases Volks are better because of their versitility and much lower cost. Obers and other long range elite infantry like Guards and Paras are great at locking down a VP Solo because they demand that at least two regular squads or a tank or light vehicle respond to it to force them off. This frees you up to put pressure back on the contested VP, usually the center.

You can also use them as bait. Sweep mines with your Storm Pios and set mines of your own to snare a tank that comes to push off the Obers and finish it off with a cloaked rakettenwerfer.
26 Apr 2018, 16:42 PM

*LMG 34, not 42.

Wow, thanks!

What do you mean by "Volks versatility" though? And how does being less expensive mean they are better? Volks can make green cover and throw flame nades... Obers can booby train points, have bundle nade, have phosphorous nade... sounds fairly versatile to me too.

Volks armies have big problems fighting any allied infantry late game - Guards are much better, BARed riflemen are much better... 2x Bren Tommies are much better.

While I agree that Volks are acceptable in 1v1, due to the popularity of Falls and the nature of the game mode, Obers in 2v2 and higher are just fantastic. If you are a decent player with a brain, you can accomplish so much more with a squad of Obers than just "camping a VP". That is a huge waste to be honest. Use Obers to push with your Volksgrenadiers, and use the Volks as a damage sponge (since that's all they are good for after 20 minutes) and use Obers to do the real killing. It's quite easy in a typical 2v2 game, for example, to get an Ober squad with over 40 kills. That's quite impressive considering how much later they come, etc.

@GIJohn playercard?
26 Apr 2018, 17:27 PM

i just tested in a 2vs2 game ,i hold up trhe techtree got falls and created 2x obers and 2 x falls they gust wipe everything ,when i combine them they rekt 2 x Shock Troops and 3xGuards Rifle Infantry in another battle,you guys thinkis better a mixed group from both or seperate?
26 Apr 2018, 18:17 PM

eh, spending 135 fuel and 700 mp for more AI while you really need something to fight that LV is not a winning strategy.
27 Apr 2018, 03:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2018, 16:42 PMNosliw

Wow, thanks!

What do you mean by "Volks versatility" though? And how does being less expensive mean they are better? Volks can make green cover and throw flame nades... Obers can booby train points, have bundle nade, have phosphorous nade... sounds fairly versatile to me too.

Volks armies have big problems fighting any allied infantry late game - Guards are much better, BARed riflemen are much better... 2x Bren Tommies are much better.

While I agree that Volks are acceptable in 1v1, due to the popularity of Falls and the nature of the game mode, Obers in 2v2 and higher are just fantastic. If you are a decent player with a brain, you can accomplish so much more with a squad of Obers than just "camping a VP". That is a huge waste to be honest. Use Obers to push with your Volksgrenadiers, and use the Volks as a damage sponge (since that's all they are good for after 20 minutes) and use Obers to do the real killing. It's quite easy in a typical 2v2 game, for example, to get an Ober squad with over 40 kills. That's quite impressive considering how much later they come, etc.

@GIJohn playercard?

Nothing that you said is untrue. The versatility of Volks that I was referring to was their role as a general purpose unit. They can fight infantry as most ranges, depending on upgrades, they get good durability as they vet up and have abilities that counter cover and can snare a vehicle. That right there is the biggest reason that Obers are situational while Volks are just plain necessary.

So, in summary, you're not wrong, but I'm not wrong either. Obers are great, but they shouldn't be used as a replacement for Volks.
27 Apr 2018, 04:03 AM

"Replace" can be a tricky word here.

Getting an obers out on the field can free up a volks, or sturmpios, from pushing and can harass or flank.

It doesn't have to mean not getting (or losing) a volks. For me the obers finally lets my sturmpios switch to full time engi duty.
27 Apr 2018, 05:20 AM

What are obers? Are those the guys that are really good at catching indirect fire with their faces Kappa
2 May 2018, 21:49 PM

Obers and Jaegers together just annihilate everything from max range.
2 May 2018, 22:35 PM

They are mandatory mid game if you've lost a volk squad or two.

The amount of times I've seen players lose a vet5 volk squad then simply replace it with another vet-0 volk when they have their flak truck is infuriating, then they wonder why their infantry are getting eaten up by paras and guards.

Falls and panzerfuss can somewhat substitute them, but they are still not as powerful. Obers have that crazy RA that makes them bulletproof compared to falls
3 May 2018, 18:11 PM

Lately(2-3 days) i am playing with this srtrat"
3xsturmpioneers>1st sws>2x Mgs+1 At>2nd sws>obers by that time i have the sturm vetted with shrecks and sg44 for close combat and 2-3 obers and going for 1 or 2 mefium tanks what you guys saying?
3 May 2018, 22:23 PM

sometime they can go toe to toe with HMG so i think they worth getting even if i already had 3 vetted volk as long as teamweapon still had deathloop i think it's worth xD
6 May 2018, 21:27 PM

I believe if you go spec ops doctrine, obers with the infared can solo HMG squads when they have vet 2.
8 May 2018, 08:16 AM

Tried the rush obers strategy.
They are anti infantry monsters, but most of the time enter the field around the time tanks show up.
Rushing them gives them a few moments without the tank threat, and a chance to vet.
29 May 2018, 06:39 AM

I have been using them in combination with mgs. MG pins a unit and the ober has a chance to make a few kills. I use my volks for front line and capturing points.
29 May 2018, 07:57 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post29 May 2018, 06:39 AMsinthe
I have been using them in combination with mgs. MG pins a unit and the ober has a chance to make a few kills. I use my volks for front line and capturing points.

I have to say that pairing the two is a bit counterproductive. A unit that is suppressed gains a .5 received accuracy modifier, and a pinned unit gets a .25 received accuracy modifier. This means that the HMG is actually making your obers kill slower, make of that what you will.
31 May 2018, 02:47 AM

I have to say that pairing the two is a bit counterproductive. A unit that is suppressed gains a .5 received accuracy modifier, and a pinned unit gets a .25 received accuracy modifier. This means that the HMG is actually making your obers kill slower, make of that what you will.

Where do you get the data for that? From my experience it seems as if they die faster when pinned.
31 May 2018, 03:19 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 May 2018, 02:47 AMsinthe

Where do you get the data for that? From my experience it seems as if they die faster when pinned.

That's just a well known stat about suppression and pin. However the suppression/pin RA bonuses wear off after 10 seconds I believe. So if your opponet doesn't notice his squad is pinned it eventually just counts as neutral (or negative if on negative).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★