Login

russian armor

Pack Howitzer

Would you like to see the Pack Howitzer reworked to have less overlap with the mortar?
Option Distribution Votes
83%
17%
Total votes: 42
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
23 Apr 2018, 15:16 PM

The Pack Howitzer was USF's indirect fire unit. Several patches ago USF got a T0 mortar to help it deal with garrisons early on. The two units were meant to coexist: the USF mortar was to be a very limited mortar with the Pack Howitzer being a stronger option locked behind tech. In practice it was easier to just buy a second mortar if you needed more indirect fire than to get a Pack Howitzer.

In SBP the USF mortar's being brought in line with the other mortars. For all the benefits of the mortar rework it's left the Pack Howitzer a little redundant.

Given USF now has light indirect pretty much covered by its T0 mortar could the Pack Howitzer be reworked the Pack Howitzer to fill a different role? Maybe it could be like a halfway point between a mortar and a static artillery piece: a small fuel cost, no autoattack and one hell of a barrage.

What do you think? Would you like to see the Pack Howitzer reworked to have less overlap with the mortar?
23 Apr 2018, 16:06 PM

PACK howi should never be standarized to a mere mortar.

With requierment of 3 men crew and being very slow, it always should be long range focused.

USF already has a mortar, 2nd one that requires bigger crew and can't retreat is not needed, its beyond me how did it even happened to even get the idea.

However only longer range will also not cut it as then it'll be vastly inferior 120mm.

I've said it once in the past, I'll say it again with a small update:

Was it up to me, I'd make PACK howi act as an actual, mobile howi.

Performance somewhere between sexton and 120mm, BARRAGE ONLY, 160 range.
Price, pop, cooldown, number of shells adjusted to desired effect.

This way USF receives something akin to other factions rocket arty, but not just a copy and it wouldn't be long term muni strain, like Major arty is.
23 Apr 2018, 16:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2018, 16:06 PMKatitof

With requierment of 3 men crew and being very slow, it always should be long range focused.

USF already has a mortar, 2nd one that requires bigger crew and can't retreat is not needed, its beyond me how did it even happened to even get the idea.

However only longer range will also not cut it as then it'll be vastly inferior 120mm.

This way USF receives something akin to other factions rocket arty, but not just a copy and it wouldn't be long term muni strain, like Major arty is.

I never understood why this wasn't the case.

IMO it should've just been a mortar HT in the first place, but I've got mod tools for that.
23 Apr 2018, 17:57 PM

Good ideas

+1, they should have done this a long time ago.
23 Apr 2018, 18:37 PM

add suppression again:snfPeter::snfPeter::snfPeter:

it should be a mini ml-20
23 Apr 2018, 19:13 PM

wow that sounds interesting
something original and asymmetrical
can someone make mod with this?
23 Apr 2018, 19:21 PM
Donator 11

Good idea, although it would need quite a lot of ballancing to be done right.

23 Apr 2018, 23:01 PM

I love the idea of USF having a non-doctrinal howitzer type unit. It fills the role of area denial and anti emplacement that rocket artillery and static howitzers do for other factions without being a copy of any of them. Making it decidedly unlike a LIEG or a mortar would be very cool to play with and against. I like it thematically as well. The allies (and axis for that matter) had and utilized lots of artillery in the war in ways that is underrepresented in the game. Now I’m not saying IDF should dominate all game modes, but seeing traditional artillery filling it’s intended role instead of all rocket artillery would be very cool.

Makes me miss the ‘ol 105 piece from vCoH.

“ARTILLERY HERE!.......WHAT?!?!!!”
24 Apr 2018, 07:18 AM

turns it into stationary weapon team that is built on field by rear echelons
8 May 2018, 14:11 PM

That'd create a hole in the USF Captain tier.

A mobile baby howitzer however would be great.
8 May 2018, 21:10 PM

I feel that axis f-boys won't allow this change.

So they can still spam their bunkers and Medical HQ in the front line.
9 May 2018, 02:30 AM

the pack howitzer should have been the USF's mortar.

The USF faction have four piece of artillery but are still losing the artillery game unless they go for specific doctrine. Both the okw and OST have two pieces each and have no problem with projecting firepower.

just remove the 81mm mortar and buff the pack howizter.
9 May 2018, 09:12 AM

The 81mm mortar was added in the first place because having their only non-doctrinal garrison clearer locked behind Captain tech was deemed too crippling by Relic.

The 81mm isn't amazing at clearing out emplacements and buildings but it can do it. Before that USF could be screwed over by a simple bunker if their early game went suboptimally.
9 May 2018, 09:45 AM

make it like the ISG from actuall game patch: never kill a model..even when u hit 1m in front of it...bad aiming and reload time.

not that huge range high explosive like actually.

#FactsAreFunny
9 May 2018, 09:53 AM

make it like the ISG from actuall game patch: never kill a model..even when u hit 1m in front of it...bad aiming and reload time.

#FactsAreFunny

Genuine curiosity.
Is there a singular allied unit you do not find op or singular axis unit you do not find up?

Also, Dead Sea have called. It wants all of its salt back from you.
9 May 2018, 10:25 AM

#FactsAreFunny

I'm not seeing how that would lessen the overlap between the Pack Howitzer and 81mm Mortar. If anything, that'd cement the mortar's position as the preferred choice.
9 May 2018, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 May 2018, 10:25 AMLago

I'm not seeing how that would lessen the overlap between the Pack Howitzer and 81mm Mortar. If anything, that'd cement the mortar's position as the preferred choice.

i cant count this squads wipes by the first shoot on a unit through this pack howitzer..annoying
9 May 2018, 12:21 PM

i cant count this squads wipes by the first shoot on a unit through this pack howitzer..annoying

Literally NO ONE uses PACK howi ever since the mortar introduction and it was hardly a popular choice prior to that.
What you are experiencing these wipes from? Bad dreams?
9 May 2018, 14:16 PM

Literally NO ONE uses PACK howi ever since the mortar introduction and it was hardly a popular choice prior to that.

i can you show minimium 10 games from Danes cast where you can see a USF player use it....and it perform so much effective..
9 May 2018, 15:20 PM

Try installing and playing the game. Its being used by sucessfull USF players all the time.

The Pack Howitzer. The problem with the pack howitzer is that its has crazy accurate shells, usually the first one lands on your mortar or mg and either wipes the crew, or the next shell does before it can even pack up and relocate. To some extent, the same problem exists with the USF mortar. In practice its just insanely accurate.

Otherwise I like the idea of a long range, barrage only mini howitzer. Note sure about 160 range though, unless its more of a barrage weapon than a pinpoint weapon.

The USF mortar needs to be reworked though. Its badly positioned as it is. The USF never needed, or should have an OST clone mortar.

It could be a quick fire, quick reposition mortar with limited range (60) and reduced damage (60) so its a smoke tool and a indirect weapon forcing relocation so it can follow closely and help out riflemen, rather than a wipe machine of support teams.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★