Login

russian armor

Pop cap Issues

26 Mar 2018, 13:46 PM

Somebody teach this guy to stop overposting...
26 Mar 2018, 14:59 PM

Lol ok dude.

And yes, indeed I'm bad at math, that's why I divided 6 by 5 to get 1.2 on my computer's calculator.
thats because u did math wrong is 5 pop didved by 6 unit = 0,83333333333....... and no, osttruppen should be 1 pop x model
26 Mar 2018, 19:03 PM

"Nobody?" You mean just yourself. You still haven't presented any facts, just feelings. And your math is wrong.

here are some post DBP stats:
KotH faction winrates (up to S2E9)
If we add episode 10 that concludes the second season, the faction winrates are as follows:

Allies 26 wins
Axis 24 wins

SOV vs OKW = 5-5
SOV vs OST = 8-5

UKF vs OKW = 2-4
UKF vs OST = 1-3

USF vs OKW = 8-4
USF vs OST = 2-3
26 Mar 2018, 20:04 PM

Permanently Banned

here are some post DBP stats:
KotH faction winrates (up to S2E9)
If we add episode 10 that concludes the second season, the faction winrates are as follows:

Allies 26 wins
Axis 24 wins

SOV vs OKW = 5-5
SOV vs OST = 8-5

UKF vs OKW = 2-4
UKF vs OST = 1-3

USF vs OKW = 8-4
USF vs OST = 2-3

That's a very small sample size. If balance is dependant on basically the top20 players in the game, I don't think it would be balanced. At least coh2chart.com gives winrates by player ranking so we know what top 150 players behave like and 150-500, etc.
26 Mar 2018, 20:17 PM

I thought top level play would be the best way to inform about balance as these players all know how to best utilize the units in a given roster, and therefore define meta/balance.

I agree though, larger sample size would be nice.
26 Mar 2018, 21:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That's a very small sample size. If balance is dependant on basically the top20 players in the game, I don't think it would be balanced. At least coh2chart.com gives winrates by player ranking so we know what top 150 players behave like and 150-500, etc.

The only problem with CoH2charts was that unless there was a ±10% difference between factions, not much can be said about it, due to how match making works on COH2. SiphonX made a good explanation about it.

A lot of people won't agree because you're only suggesting a nerf to Allied infantry pop cap with a buff to Axis infantry pop cap so I'll just address the not making sense part.

Why should a 6 man squad fill 5 pop cap lol. I mean if it were me, I'd just go with CoH's way of doing things and just make each model cost just 1 pop cap, I really see no point in artificially limiting the game's scale with such bullshit anyhow.

We have adjusted the squad and entity population values of infantry. This will allow all infantry to retain their previous population value pre-patch without the use of decimal values. Previously having decimal population values would cause issues with call-in units. This is now resolved. All infantry entities will now have a population of 1 with the difference added onto their squad population extension.

First of all: nerfing double bars long range DPS and double bren/5man pop IS while giving proper buffs to UKF are in line but that doesn't mean everything else should be buff around it.

1- 6pdr is worht 8pop
2- PG could see some "side" buffs (i like the concept of 0.5 tiers so some specific units can arrive earlier) but reducing by 1 pop could be on the line.
3- I think for IS, the upgrade if possible should increase the popcap.
4- PF/AG/Prostruppen are fine.

Adding more units from other factions would made your topic less antagonizing.
26 Mar 2018, 22:27 PM

The only problem with CoH2charts was that unless there was a ±10% difference between factions, not much can be said about it, due to how match making works on COH2. SiphonX made a good explanation about it.

First of all: nerfing double bars long range DPS and double bren/5man pop IS while giving proper buffs to UKF are in line but that doesn't mean everything else should be buff around it.

1- 6pdr is worht 8pop
2- PG could see some "side" buffs (i like the concept of 0.5 tiers so some specific units can arrive earlier) but reducing by 1 pop could be on the line.
3- I think for IS, the upgrade if possible should increase the popcap.
4- PF/AG/Prostruppen are fine.

Adding more units from other factions would made your topic less antagonizing.

That "difference added onto their squad population extension" is still bullshit if you ask me but whatever.

Like I see no problem if the IS are like 4 pop cap and later 5 with the bolster squad upgrade while the commandos are like 3 and later 4 when fully reinforced, like that would affect team games at the most since you'd probably rarely max out your pop cap in a 1v1 if ever.
26 Mar 2018, 22:29 PM

thats because u did math wrong is 5 pop didved by 6 unit = 0,83333333333....... and no, osttruppen should be 1 pop x model

Like he said, I'm bad at math, I admit it.

And yeah I agree with the 1 pop cap per model thing, that sounds fair, reasonable and logical to me.
26 Mar 2018, 22:43 PM

Like he said, I'm bad at math, I admit it.

And yeah I agree with the 1 pop cap per model thing, that sounds fair, reasonable and logical to me.

It´s not because it would render Soviet 6 man units useless.
26 Mar 2018, 22:48 PM

Wut
26 Mar 2018, 22:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That "difference added onto their squad population extension" is still bullshit if you ask me but whatever.

Like I see no problem if the IS are like 4 pop cap and later 5 with the bolster squad upgrade while the commandos are like 3 and later 4 when fully reinforced, like that would affect team games at the most since you'd probably rarely max out your pop cap in a 1v1 if ever.

You are only thinking about the limit of your total army. The whole point of the popcap system, is the upkeep you are paying for it. Since you don't have ways to increase your man power, every point on pop is going to hurt you passively if you don't make use out of it.

26 Mar 2018, 23:02 PM

Wut

If you make one model = pop size 1

-->

5 Conscripts squads-> 30 Pop

5 Grenadiers squads -> 20 Pop

Which means that the Soviets pay crazy upkeep and cant field enough units. Since one conscript model is significantly worse than one Grenadier model. Same for weapon teams.

That´s the reason why COH2 doesnt use the one model = 1 pop size. Thankfully.

Just imagine how unbalanced the game would be if lets say both sides had 5 mainline infantry units + one mg + at gun + mortar.... Soviets would end up at 48. Ost at 32.

26 Mar 2018, 23:13 PM
Donator 11

As far as I know all resources and their incomes in coh2 are calculated in floating point numbers. They are only rounded to be shown in the UI, but the calculation is done using real numbers all along. So in fact there is nothing wrong with having a soldier use less than one pop, if the squad is cheap enough and if the editor supports it.

Still, I don't really think there is a need for that in the case of ostruppen.
26 Mar 2018, 23:19 PM

The pop of unit is the sum of the pop of each entity plus the Pop of the squad itself.

For instance pioneer have a POP 5 although they are 4 entities.

If a pioneer squad is left with 1 entity it will have a pop of 2.
26 Mar 2018, 23:43 PM

You are only thinking about the limit of your total army. The whole point of the popcap system, is the upkeep you are paying for it. Since you don't have ways to increase your man power, every point on pop is going to hurt you passively if you don't make use out of it.

Oh right, CoH's strategic points also gave you +3 manpower if I'm not mistaken apart from 3 more pop cap slots until you reached 125 which was the max.

If you make one model = pop size 1

-->

5 Conscripts squads-> 30 Pop

5 Grenadiers squads -> 20 Pop

Which means that the Soviets pay crazy upkeep and cant field enough units. Since one conscript model is significantly worse than one Grenadier model. Same for weapon teams.

That´s the reason why COH2 doesnt use the one model = 1 pop size. Thankfully.

Just imagine how unbalanced the game would be if lets say both sides had 5 mainline infantry units + one mg + at gun + mortar.... Soviets would end up at 48. Ost at 32.

Yeah yeah it makes sense now that I remember about the upkeep being tied to pop cap.
27 Mar 2018, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

As far as I know all resources and their incomes in coh2 are calculated in floating point numbers. They are only rounded to be shown in the UI, but the calculation is done using real numbers all along. So in fact there is nothing wrong with having a soldier use less than one pop, if the squad is cheap enough and if the editor supports it.

Still, I don't really think there is a need for that in the case of ostruppen.

It was changed, cause there was a bug with call in units. If you had 94.4 pop and you were to call in a 6 popcap unit, you would waste the resources and the unit wouldn't be call IIRC.
27 Mar 2018, 13:03 PM

context dude we are talking about ostruppen
27 Mar 2018, 13:12 PM

context dude we are talking about ostruppen

But osttruppen are pretty solid now at last...
27 Mar 2018, 13:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Mar 2018, 13:12 PMKatitof

But osttruppen are pretty solid now at last...
yea that why i said they should remain at 6 pop cap 1 x unit
27 Mar 2018, 14:41 PM

yea that why i said they should remain at 6 pop cap 1 x unit

Alright, cool then.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 18
South Africa 1
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias