Login

russian armor

Spawning squads regardless of popcap requirements

11 Nov 2017, 14:48 PM

I have this issue with the new balance mod.

In order to fix USF teching not showing a progress bar, I've turned the upgrades into special squads.

The moment the lieutenant_spawner (costs 200MP 50FU etc) is complete, it yields the player the lieutenant-dispathched upgrade (to unlock the tier), spawns an actual lieutenant squad and dies.

However, I noticed that this cuases issues when the player tries to tech up when they are near full-popcap.

For instance, say that you are at 90/100 popcap. You click the lieutenant upgrade, which allocates 8 popcap while building. Now you are at 98/100 popcap

The lieutenant finishes building and calls in the actual squad to reinforce. However, reinforcement_action refuses to spawn the squad when you are above popcap. This means that the actual lieutenant squad will not spawn.

Is there a way to make the reinforcement_action ignore popcap. Or, how would you guys fix that?

I haven't managed to find a workaround for this workaround, yet, and I might have to pull this feature out of the patch.
12 Nov 2017, 21:26 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Cant you just set the reinforcement action's min pop-cap to 1 or 0? The normal squad will still spawn and take up pop-cap even if there isn't enough to allocate. If not, a possible cheeky workaround: make the reinforcement action delayed, so that when it actually runs the fake squad is already gone and not taking up any pop-cap.
12 Nov 2017, 21:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Nov 2017, 21:26 PMLugie
Cant you just set the reinforcement action's min pop-cap to 1 or 0? The normal squad will still spawn and take up pop-cap even if there isn't enough to allocate. If not, a possible cheeky workaround: make the reinforcement action delayed, so that when it actually runs the fake squad is already gone and not taking up any pop-cap.

I tried the former, and it didn't seem to work.

Delaying the squad might sometimes work. However it could cause issues when you are at 100/100 popcap, there's a squad reinforcement queueing up; when the fake squad is gone, the squad reinforcement is complete, and the real lieutenant squad gets bugged out.
13 Nov 2017, 13:12 PM
Patrion 14

Not a solution to the initial problem, but maybe something to consider. You could make all tech not spawn an officer and then have a separate button to call in the first officer for free. Then the progress could be tied to the tech like other factions.

That would also allow back teching at full pop cap and avoid getting a squad you don't want. Example: late game when you need a m20 mine, have to back tech but don't have the pop cap to support the lieutenant as well.

Potentially, there is also a way to just have the same button for the lieutenant have no cost the first time it is used, not sure.
13 Nov 2017, 13:18 PM

Potentially, there is also a way to just have the same button for the lieutenant have no cost the first time it is used, not sure.

I'll have to try that idea. I'll still need to find a way to change the reinforcement cost of the officer when it is spawned, and when it is manning teamweapons (so, that you don't get a free-to-reinforce squad).
13 Nov 2017, 13:20 PM

The moment the lieutenant_spawner (costs 200MP 50FU etc) is complete, it yields the player the lieutenant-dispathched upgrade (to unlock the tier), spawns an actual lieutenant squad and dies.
I haven't managed to find a workaround for this workaround, yet, and I might have to pull this feature out of the patch.

I'm not familiar with modding tools, but pure logic suggests me the workaround for workaround for workaround here. Let your lieutenant_spawner (8pop) spawns not the lieutenant squad (8pop) but another dummy thing (0pop) which will spawn the lieutenant. Is it possible or even if so it will be too complicated?
13 Nov 2017, 13:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Nov 2017, 13:20 PMHater

I'm not familiar with modding tools, but pure logic suggests me the workaround for workaround for workaround here. Let your lieutenant_spawner (8pop) spawns not the lieutenant squad (8pop) but another dummy thing (0pop) which will spawn the lieutenant. Is it possible or even if so it will be too complicated?

The fake squad should still make the company post unlock to require 8-or-so popcap. Otherwise, if the fake lieutenant squad reserves no popcap, it is possible that the real lieutenant squad will have no room to spawn.
13 Nov 2017, 15:09 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I read your question a few days ago, but couldn't find any solution. However, I just got this idea with only one squad and only one upgrade.

1) The building calls-in the squad.
2) The lieutenant entity has default higher costs (fuel + mp - the mp costs of the other 4 men)
3) The squad adds the (player owned) upgrade only the first time when he spawns.
4) That upgrade modifies the costs of that lieutenant entity to the original manpower costs.
(The British 5th member upgrade uses the same costs modifiers)
5) The build time can also be modified if needed.

I hope this helps! (I haven't tried it ;))
13 Nov 2017, 16:06 PM

I read your question a few days ago, but couldn't find any solution. However, I just got this idea with only one squad and only one upgrade.

1) The building calls-in the squad.
2) The lieutenant entity has default higher costs (fuel + mp - the mp costs of the other 4 men)
3) The squad adds the (player owned) upgrade only the first time when he spawns.
4) That upgrade modifies the costs of that lieutenant entity to the original manpower costs.
(The British 5th member upgrade uses the same costs modifiers)
5) The build time can also be modified if needed.

I hope this helps! (I haven't tried it ;))

I'll try this one as well. My main concern would be whether this changes something about lieutenant reinforcement costs, when models die or the lieutenant captures an MG gun. It would be kinda bad if lieutenant starts sucking Fuel out of the player :p
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★