Login

russian armor

December Balance Preview v1.1 "T-pose" bug

2 Nov 2017, 12:55 PM

While testing the official December Balance Preview patch (v1.1), I have noticed that infantry models will sometimes assume a "T-Pose" during combat. This type of pose is used by the 3D artist to create and rig the model without animation. From what I can tell, this bug happens with all factions and infantry squads. This suggests that the models are missing an animation and is likely due to the changes to squad AI behaviour.

From the patch notes:

Squad Behaviour
* Added a squad AI behaviour where individual models in squads assume varying postures while fighting the enemy (without changing their position) - i.e. Elite squads will prefer a crouching animation for some of their members, whereas non-elite squads will also drop prone to the ground.

2 Nov 2017, 13:19 PM
Patrion 14

I see that behaviour in the current version of the game in automatch quite often as well. I've never been quite able to work out what it was that causes it. I'm not sure if it is related to the squad postures. At least it didn't seem that the frequency increased but I'll check some more. But regardless of whether it was made worse by the mod, it would be nice if it got fixed, if it is fixable within the limitations of the mod tools.
2 Nov 2017, 13:28 PM

I never noticed it in the live game before, but that doesn't rule it out, either (which is worse than in the patch preview if true). As you say, certainly something fixable. Probably just referencing the wrong animation name(s) somewhere. I'll validate and perhaps reinstall on my SSD later to see if that fixes it to make sure it isn't something on my end.
2 Nov 2017, 14:06 PM

Could you list which squads have this issue? We could give those squads the original AI.

I've definitely seen this happen to Tommies. I don't remember if I've seen this happen to Pathfinders, and I've definitely never seen this happen to EFA infantry (yet).
2 Nov 2017, 14:11 PM
Patrion 14

I've had it with pathfinders. I think most of the time it was the guy with a bar.

On tommies I had it as well.
2 Nov 2017, 14:23 PM

Could you list which squads have this issue? We could give those squads the original AI.

I've definitely seen this happen to Tommies. I don't remember if I've seen this happen to Pathfinders, and I've definitely never seen this happen to EFA infantry (yet).

Or just remove the squad AI all together because it doesnt add anything to the game cept bugs ;)
2 Nov 2017, 14:40 PM

So far I've seen it with the following squads: Conscripts, Guards, Penals, Panzerfusiliers, and Volksgrenadiers. Will test with the other factions.
2 Nov 2017, 15:07 PM

So far I've seen it with the following squads: Conscripts, Guards, Penals, Panzerfusiliers, and Volksgrenadiers. Will test with the other factions.

Does this occur only when there are flamers/explosives involved, or does this also occur when those aren't involved?
2 Nov 2017, 16:35 PM

Does this occur only when there are flamers/explosives involved, or does this also occur when those aren't involved?

Could you clarify whether you mean on screen flames and explosions in general or equipped flamers and AT/grenades? I have observed the T-pose on regularly equipped models (e.g. without flamer or panzerschreck upgrades), so I don't think it is necessarily due to squad weapon upgrades or abilities. It's generally very brief, such that the model will switch from a firing pose to the T-pose and then back. Also, models in this pose appear to fire and move along with the rest of the squad.

After testing with the USF, UKF, and Ostheer, I've only seen the T-pose with Infantry Sections (Tommies) in addition to the ones I already mentioned from the Soviets and OKW.

I'll go through my replays to see if I can pinpoint anything else.
2 Nov 2017, 18:16 PM

Also noticed the bug on Volksgrenadiers in Helping Hans' twitch stream testing the preview vs Noggano, so it isn't just my system.
2 Nov 2017, 19:44 PM

All squads have a separate squad AI reaction animation. The reaction animation triggers when the squad is hit with explosives or flames, or various AoE effects (triggers at most once per 30 seconds).

The mod normalized the behaviour for all squads to "drop to the ground and crawl for cover".

Perhaps the falling-down-to-the-ground part cannot be supported by certain models, and I'm asking to see whether this is the case.
2 Nov 2017, 20:00 PM

I have also noticed strange AI behaviour regarding weapon teams. I was playing as OKW on battle in the Woods(or something like that) on mid VP with fussies when the soviet AI sent an Maxim. It refused to set up the maxim and just stood there while my fussies just killed the crew.

Dunno what is required for this to happen, or if i am the only one with this problem, but it happened only whilst playing the patch beta in the mod store.
2 Nov 2017, 21:43 PM

Let me know if you encounter this problem with non-rifle-wielding troops too (e.g., SMGs).
2 Nov 2017, 22:02 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Aye, I'm 95% sure this is a bug relating to the new rifle animations. Before the patch, conscripts and guards used the original animations the game came with, which did have a good amount of bugs (SMG Moving animations come to mind), but were compatible with squad-ai. The new animations, added with ardennes assault, are a bit shotty and cut some corners, resulting in a T-pose due to a missing transition animation or something.

It seems someone made all the rifle infantry models (apart from engies) use the new animations, and in combination with the basic ai that the new animations are not compatible with, that results in bugs.

I remember the BAR riflemen in COH1 T-posed sometimes, usually during or after a fight.
2 Nov 2017, 22:04 PM
2 Nov 2017, 23:19 PM

All squads have a separate squad AI reaction animation. The reaction animation triggers when the squad is hit with explosives or flames, or various AoE effects (triggers at most once per 30 seconds).

The mod normalized the behaviour for all squads to "drop to the ground and crawl for cover".

Perhaps the falling-down-to-the-ground part cannot be supported by certain models, and I'm asking to see whether this is the case.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure what triggers it, but it could easily be the drop and cover behaviour that you describe since I only observe it after a game has been going on for a while. I just played a game where I saw it in a tank hunter infantry section squad where the center model (5 man size upgrade) would always revert to the T-pose when not being given a move command. I'll spool through that replay to see where it started.
2 Nov 2017, 23:45 PM

After watching that replay, the bug started immediately after the 5th squad member was added to the squad for the first time. I had just upgraded the squad size and had the tank hunter squad at the FRP (out of combat). There were no fires or explosions (in the direct vicinity) and the squad was standing still (no move commands given, just reinforcement). It only happened to the one model for that particular tank hunter squad, too. Because the AI moves its squads around constantly (quite literally), I didn't observe any other models exhibiting the bug (in that particular game).

Will test out flamethrowers next.
3 Nov 2017, 00:33 AM

I was unable to force the bug to occur in soviet units after subjecting them to diverse combinations of flames and explosives for a half an hour. Does the duck and cover AI behaviour only occur from enemy attacks or will it also trigger with any flame or explosion? I was, admittedly, roasting my own soldiers with molotovs, flamethrowers and KV-8 (attack ground), as well as the incendiary barrage.

Didn't see the bug in any of the units that match, in fact. However, it was a pretty "calm" game compared to when I have seen the bug occur. Perhaps it occurs more frequently in large game modes where there is more going on? Not sure.
3 Nov 2017, 01:49 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I was unable to force the bug to occur in soviet units after subjecting them to diverse combinations of flames and explosives for a half an hour. Does the duck and cover AI behaviour only occur from enemy attacks or will it also trigger with any flame or explosion? I was, admittedly, roasting my own soldiers with molotovs, flamethrowers and KV-8 (attack ground), as well as the incendiary barrage.

Didn't see the bug in any of the units that match, in fact. However, it was a pretty "calm" game compared to when I have seen the bug occur. Perhaps it occurs more frequently in large game modes where there is more going on? Not sure.

It triggers with any flame or explosion, but each squad has a different cooldown. Im pretty sure Conscripts have the lowest cool-down. It also depends on the reaction radius of the weapon itself. You can see the behavior much better with a large explosion, like the heavy mortar and such.
3 Nov 2017, 11:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2017, 01:49 AMLugie

It triggers with any flame or explosion, but each squad has a different cooldown. Im pretty sure Conscripts have the lowest cool-down. It also depends on the reaction radius of the weapon itself. You can see the behavior much better with a large explosion, like the heavy mortar and such.

Good to know. I definitely observed the squads dropping to the ground for cover at various intervals when being damaged by flames. Will test out other factions under similar conditions today if I have the time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★