Login

russian armor

BEST UKF DOCTRINES ?

12 Oct 2017, 13:02 PM

12 Oct 2017, 13:22 PM

This Doctrine is simply THE BEST (image is a link to guide)

Other viable doctrines are vanguard, special weapons regiment and commandos a bit.
12 Oct 2017, 13:36 PM
12 Oct 2017, 14:46 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Personal Favorite: Vanguard Operations

- Raid Operation: allows vehicles to cap territory. Generally more useful when you have more armor on the field (late game).
- Command Glider: spawns an Airlanding Officer (4-man commando) with an extremely powerful AoE infantry buff. Additionally you can build regular 5-man Commandos from the glider, Medics (I generally don't get these). Cherry on top is that it also works as a Forward Retreat Point. Usually during mid-game I get a glider if I'm floating a lot of MP.
- Vehicle Crew Repairs: costly but useful after a large armor engagement. Can also be used as a last-ditch effort to save a dying tank.
- Strafing Support: arguably the strongest airstrike, it spawns a Typhoon that strafes infantry with cannons and a Typhoon that strafes tanks with 3' Rockets.
- Crocodile: tough to kill, deceptively agile, roasts team weapons and eats them for breakfast. Excellent when paired with a Firefly (long-range AT support while the Croc soaks up all the damage.
12 Oct 2017, 16:38 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

This Doctrine is simply THE BEST (image is a link to guide)

Other viable doctrines are vanguard, special weapons regiment and commandos a bit.

For 1v1s, i think most brit players would agree that special weapons is better than mobile assault (probably by quite a lrage margin).
12 Oct 2017, 16:55 PM

For 1v1s, i think most brit players would agree that special weapons is better than mobile assault (probably by quite a lrage margin).

expain why ? what is better than flamer, wiping machine and on map arty - thats all tools who brits lack ;)
12 Oct 2017, 18:01 PM

I tend to agree that Mobile Assault it good but it's situational (best when you have lot of garrisons to maximize flamers and Commando pop cheese) - otherwise it doesn't have quite the same late-game potential as something like Vanguard or Special Weapons.

Special Weapons is good given the Luches meta where the Tankhunters help you and the Concentrated Arty Barrage is great for nuking forward placed OKW trucks. Add in the Crocodile and you're set. Personally I like to play around with Royal Engineer too if I ever want to hinge my strategy on on emplacements and the AVRE is just fun to use.
12 Oct 2017, 22:57 PM

I like commandos for the bullshit bombing run you can call on okw players with good muni control. Mortar cover is pretty good too and commandos are ofc in the regiment too. I base my strategy with it around 1-2 commandos and light vehicles supported by vickers and 1-2 sections till I get tanks.
13 Oct 2017, 04:15 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

expain why ? what is better than flamer, wiping machine and on map arty - thats all tools who brits lack ;)

Not ALL of the tools that brits lack.
AT sections give you a snare, long range vehicle spotting (fun fact: they even spot goliaths, camouflaged or not), and the ability to skip the aec.

Assuming the enemy doesnt get AT (admittedly rare), the HT allows constant pressure and lmgs without tech. Also, a HT with a a double vickers section inside wipes squads about as easily as a luchs does, all without the terrible on the move accuracy of the luchs.

The two other muni abilities come too late and cost too much to be that useful. They're great when you happen to have the cp and munis, but I just think thats too rare to count these abilities in the doctrines favor. Not as useless as a lot of abilities in most other doctrines, just very situational.

Finally, the croc. Get 1 croc, 2 AT guns, and a baseline amount of infantry squads and you'll win the game unless the enemy has a KT or double panthers. Add a firefly, and I honestly cant think of a more efficient late game army composition.

Special weapons summary:
Snares, vehicle spotting, speeds up teching by allowing you to bypass the AEC and possibly weapon racks, conditionally useful muni abilities, probably the best single callin vehicle in the game.

Mobile assault summary:
Flamers, commandos (instawipes, and flanks, but also slightly inefficient/poor scaling squads, especially against someone with decent micro to avoid gammons), land mattress wipe machines, pretty heavily delayed teching if you get a land mattress, crew repairs which I guess are pretty good.

I can see mobile assault being a contender against special weapons on maps with a lot of buildings. I think another factor is that mobile assault probably works better in lower ranks/ is more effective the lower skilled the players are. Flamers are better played around by better players (though probably not to that large of an extent, flamers are still flamers), commandos are better played around and better nullified by better players, land mattresses are better played around by better players (less panic retreating, smarter blobbing, better defensive unit/weapon team positioning).
13 Oct 2017, 04:28 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

(Since my previous reply was getting kind of long)
IMO, mobile assault doesnt help you against the things that will lose you the game. What does the land mattress MEANINGFULLY help you against in a build? What do commandos MEANINGFULLY help you against in a build? Commandos are kind of (if you'll let me use the term liberally) a cheesy unit that relies on cheesy wipes to be effective and see their impact drastically decrease when conditions turn unfavorable. They dont force any unit out of your opponent, and they dont really counter any unit that your opponent will have. Similar argument against the land mattress, inconsistent/cheesy wipes, doesnt counter any of the opponents units.

The current meta against okw generally comes down to dealing with the luchs and then dealing with the callins that come after. Mobile assault helps you with neither of those, and (imo) baits you into wasting manpower (commandos) and delaying teching (land mattresses with their fuel costs), two of the things that you absolutely shouldnt be doing against okw. Against ostheer, mobile assault is theoretically much better than against okw, but you still get nothing from the doctrine to help against a tiger. Fail to get a lead with mobile assault, and you probably lose late game against ostheer when they call in a tiger. Fail to get a lead with special weapons, then you get a croc and two at guns then probably win. In addition, I'd still rather have a double vickers HT against ostheer than I would commandos or the land mattress.
13 Oct 2017, 04:28 AM

I would say that commandos can be really dangerous if controlled well. Even the pithy 4 man squads without demos can still wipe really well if pre-positioned to catch retreating troops with ambush bonuses, or just popping out of camo to turn the tide of an engagement and basically instawipe any support teams (which will even happen to very skilled players as there's basically not enough warning against light gammons out of cover to the point that it's a bit abusive). They are at face value a very inefficient squad though, especially since they cost significantly extra initially in all doctrines (compared to their "technical" baseline price of 350 for the normal squad).

Mattress and flamers are definitely more lethal at lower ranks though, and croc is very gud. Honestly though, I hate skipping the aec because the vet1 ability is insanely good, especially since it's not broken any more. Almost always results in a dead tank (even panthers/kts) if pulled off right and it can't really be countered except with good general awareness.

I personally still like commando regiment and vanguard better than mobile assault though, with that and special weapons being about even depending on situation in my opinion. Real commandos (the 5 man ones) do a pretty good job at wrecking infantry with good micro and ambushes, even stg obers or massed volks (the latter with grenades and/or good support). Commandos plus vickers and sections can be a beastly defensive or offensive force.
13 Oct 2017, 04:35 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Honestly though, I hate skipping the aec because the vet1 ability is insanely good, especially since it's not broken any more. Almost always results in a dead tank (even panthers/kts) if pulled off right and it can't really be countered except with good general awareness.

The issue there is that with the two treadshots from the aec, you miss out on 160 damage, which in a lot of practical cases, is the amount of extra damage you'll be allowed to do with your auxiliary AT. Instead of outright finishing off the vehicles in the two shots from the aec, you spend both shots doing reduced damage and giving your opponent the extra time to at least trade his tank for your aec. Seeing as how the treadshots have to penetrate to first do their slow then their immobilize, and the ability becomes very conditional.
All of that said, yeah, its an excellent ability when its use case arises, but near useless in every other case.
13 Oct 2017, 06:58 AM

I´ve always found Boys AT infantry section too unreliable - they are basicly a PTRS cons 2.0 with a snare. No thanks for 300 mp unit. It may protect your AT gun from lights but they will die to any infantry and cannot be upgraded any further. I cant name anyone who will dive with light tank against AT gun + at section so you will be just able to hold a section of map with it.

This will mean that you enemy will be able to hold both flanks + can push you off map anytime once luchs forces 1-2 infantry squads to retreat because you´ve spend such a huge amound of MP that you cannot hold you line against volks anymore. No thanks. Better to get AC and commandos. It allows me much more agressive approach because I´m mobile, agile and can counter anything anywhere. Also flamethrower will allow me to counter any defensive position created by garrison so you arent punished for not holding your garrisons 24/7 anymore.

Also if I wanted to go all in card and put everything into infantry play early mid game into crocodile lategame I would go vanguard. Fast capping and SKILLPLANEZ are much better because they counter even those double panthers or kingtiger.

For me special weapons regiment is something like a jack of all trades. You get everything with it, some early game power and some late game boost but neither of them is gamebreaking and wont allow you to break a stalemate.

I will much rather risk everything at single card and either win the match in get go or lose because I´m outplayed than to create a stalemate and long attrition war. No thanks I dont want to give my initiative to the wrong hands - enemy hands
13 Oct 2017, 07:02 AM

I think another factor is that mobile assault probably works better in lower ranks/ is more effective the lower skilled the players are.

What lower ranks are you talking about ? You are only top tier player compared to me right now because you have more time to play the game and reach better ranks by bashing noobs. Matchmaking is so screwed right now that anyone who is able to make it into top 50 is also able to make it to top 10 if he´s given enough time to play.

If I had enough time to play the game instead of studying and other more important stuff I could be top 10 too ;)

Flamers are better played around by better players (though probably not to that large of an extent, flamers are still flamers), commandos are better played around and better nullified by better players, land mattresses are better played around by better players (less panic retreating, smarter blobbing, better defensive unit/weapon team positioning).

The purpose of flamer is not to burn squads alive in garrisons. The purpose of flamers is to force enemy from the garrison so you can garrison your IS inside and force enemy in the open to retreat.

Actually commandos can be greatly used even against good players, all you need to know is to hide them in retreat path and learn how to throw grenade so it explodes right on top of the retreating squad. I dont see any option how a top player can guide retreating squad ;)

Or just sneak them and kill rakketens/mgs. Purpose commandos is to work behind the lines and score wipes and cause chaos. They aren´t rambos.

And again, purpose of land mattress is not to skill cheeky wipes on blobs but to force defensive positions like pak walls or mgs or units in cover/garrisons to move so you can make a big push with your tanks and infantry alike and gain valuable ground. Maybe you will wipe something when you put such a big pressure on your opponent but thats not the primary design.

If youre using whole "cheesy commander" just to score wipes then you´re using it wrong ;)

(Since my previous reply was getting kind of long)
IMO, mobile assault doesnt help you against the things that will lose you the game. What does the land mattress MEANINGFULLY help you against in a build? What do commandos MEANINGFULLY help you against in a build? Commandos are kind of (if you'll let me use the term liberally) a cheesy unit that relies on cheesy wipes to be effective and see their impact drastically decrease when conditions turn unfavorable. They dont force any unit out of your opponent, and they dont really counter any unit that your opponent will have. Similar argument against the land mattress, inconsistent/cheesy wipes, doesnt counter any of the opponents units.

The current meta against okw generally comes down to dealing with the luchs and then dealing with the callins that come after. Mobile assault helps you with neither of those, and (imo) baits you into wasting manpower (commandos) and delaying teching (land mattresses with their fuel costs), two of the things that you absolutely shouldnt be doing against okw. Against ostheer, mobile assault is theoretically much better than against okw, but you still get nothing from the doctrine to help against a tiger. Fail to get a lead with mobile assault, and you probably lose late game against ostheer when they call in a tiger. Fail to get a lead with special weapons, then you get a croc and two at guns then probably win. In addition, I'd still rather have a double vickers HT against ostheer than I would commandos or the land mattress.

And who said that I´m going to use mattress and commandos as my core build ? Read my guide first to see that I´m going medium tanks and comet first, before I call in mattress

14 Oct 2017, 20:13 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

snipped

I don't doubt that you could also make it into the top 10 with how the ladder currently is. Still, you assume I bash noobs because of what reason, exactly? Also, if you're saying that im a better player than you because i have more time to play (not sure if this is what you mean or not), then, well, you just said that im a better player (not that I myself meant that I was better anyway). Also, to be clear, I didn't mean to say that you are a low rank, sorry if thats what it seemed like. I meant that mobile assault has more relative strength the lower skilled the players in the game are. I guess you could think of it as me proposing an equation in which the relative effectiveness of mobile assault is inversely proportional to player skill. Actually, I'm not even sure why my rank or how I got it even became a part of the discussion.

Yeah, I agree that the main purpose of flamers is to force the enemy from garrisons, so its cool we agree on that. Not sure why you mentioned that though. I guess you thought I was implying that the "purpose of flamers is to burn squads alive in garrisons" for some reason?

I also agree that commandos can be greatly used even against good players. Youre also correct that a top player cannot control the path of a retreating squad once the retreat button is pressed. My point on that was more about the efficiency and how much harder it becomes the more skilled the enemy is (again, effectiveness inversely proportional to enemy player skill).

Yeah, I really oversold the "land mattress is only for cheeky wipes idea," that was a mistake by me. Still, I alluded to its use against weapon teams/defensive lines which you expanded upon in your reply.

My apologies, I shouldnt have made assumptions about how you use the doctrine/ when you get a land mattress, especially when (as you said) theres a guide on this very site that could have given me actual information about this. I did read the guide, but it appears I don't quite remember the specifics. Anyway, like you said, if you go land mattress after your first medium tanks, then the land mattress doesnt delay your teching, so disregard my point on that. I'd prefer to have a croc instead of a comet + land mattress, and I would argue that the croc is actually stronger in general, but with so many things to consider (play style, situation, etc.) I guess either one will be the better, given different conditions.

Obviously mobile assault works excellently for you. But maybe its because of how your play style matches with the doctrine? If thats the case, i dont think you could call it the best. I always use USF tactical support in 1v1s because it works with my play style and build, but I still wouldnt say its the best USF 1v1 doctrine. When claiming a doctrine is the best, I think it would be best to make a claim based on objective power (not that we can objectively say much about doctrines...). The fact that most of the top ukf players (going by ladder, unfortunately im not sure which doctrine the VERY BEST players like luvnest, devm, theodosios, noganno prefer when they go ukf) go special weapons only reinforces my belief that special weapons is the best doctrine. Maybe you can make mobile assault the best doctrine for YOU, but that doesnt make it the best. As far as I'm aware deep dark fantasy, royal hants, burmie, guard and helping hans all favor tactical support now.
15 Nov 2017, 07:54 AM

I am a lv 11 ukf player I do find myself using special weapons more just for the sake of boys and croco. Since I always get a Bren carrier I rarely rely on flamethrower sappers. The BC is like a wonder unit for me . I can fend off kuber, sniper and upgrade it for garrison if I need to. I think mobile is mostly good for urban maps. For me it is safer to get the bolster squad and weapons upgrade add two 6lbs then I have a rather safe mid game.
1 Jan 2018, 14:15 PM

Special Weapons, AT nades for Brits makes Piats so good and scares off lights. Vehicle detection is great (Even if it was slightly nerffed)

Double vickers melt squads, so good AI. It's a very good doctrine, well rounded and accomplishes AT and AI. British don't need help fighting heavies as you got the Firefly, 17 pounder and reliable brit AT guns.

So you're set!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS