Login

russian armor

Requesting an Alternative to the Lend Lease Soviet Builds

1 Oct 2017, 22:26 PM

I'am solidly middling right now at rank 10 1v1 with the soviets, mostly off conscript reliant builds that go t2 most of the time. It is impossible to deny the ubiquity of t1, dshkas, and penals, into sherman spam in the tournament scene and upper level play, but I was wondering if there are still strategies that function well without relying on this core. This is in the context of the upper mid 1v1 scene.

Is the maxim ever worth getting? I find that it is decent upon acquiring the activated ability but prior to that is extremely lackluster suppression wise.
3 Oct 2017, 17:36 PM

I'am solidly middling right now at rank 10 1v1 with the soviets, mostly off conscript reliant builds that go t2 most of the time. It is impossible to deny the ubiquity of t1, dshkas, and penals, into sherman spam in the tournament scene and upper level play, but I was wondering if there are still strategies that function well without relying on this core. This is in the context of the upper mid 1v1 scene.

Is the maxim ever worth getting? I find that it is decent upon acquiring the activated ability but prior to that is extremely lackluster suppression wise.

I'm no pro (am only lvl 16), but I've been playing and learning the game for quite some time now, and I often watch the pros play. Some of them have managed to make conscript-builds work by going for early map control, and some go for multiple engineers for lots of capping and trap setting pressure.

That said, even the other commander paths that are viable (kv8 rush vs OKW), KV1 commander, everything is just better with penals and dshka. Why build conscripts when you have terminator-esque dps from Penals? Why build maxims when you have the space age gatling gun dshka? They're vastly superior options that make it difficult for players to want to choose Conscripts and T2. You can still play/compete I guess, but they're firmly entrenched in the meta for very good reason.
3 Oct 2017, 18:09 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

A) Maxims

B) You can go vs Wehrmacht like Sniper and cons

C) Also B4 doc is meta atm. With Kv1 and the for mother russia ability for your inf

D) Guarde Mortar is still a good doc!

E) Community defensive doc, where you have dhkas and 120mm works good
3 Oct 2017, 23:10 PM

everything can works if you have enough skill, even conscript spam.
Now you say that you are beginner, so i wouldn't recommend you to go for "non-meta" strategy because you are mostly going to loose with them.

i didn't play coh2 for a few month but i think the game didn't change much so i guess you should rely on 2 engineer at beginning to capture territory, followed by 3-4 penals (scout car if ennemy got sniper/Kubel) followed up by t70.

The commander choice doesn't matter much but i think 'for mother russia' ability is still overpowered as fuck for its price so you can go for the kv1 commander.

6 Oct 2017, 23:30 PM

A very powerful one is 'Soviet Shock Army'

Con spam with Ppsh, add one Shock squad, flank flank flank like your USA, keep adding pressure. Maybe add a single MG, as long as you use it to add pressure where needed.

Now get a 120mm mortar and bring it quite far forward using your pressurising army to provide safety for it. Try to destroy any forward trucks, or Werh weapon teams.

Use high level of map pressence to make the most of mines and demos.

Rush T34 and hopefully put them in a hole before they can bring out decent armour.
7 Oct 2017, 08:34 AM

Many player experiment with Soviet reverse army - petals AT partisans t34 swarms and conscript swarms are really strong

And with Counterattack tactics - kv1 is a poor man's replacement of sherman. And the main reason why they go this commander is For Mother Russia ability which changes your penals into sprinting pre nerf Obersoldaten ;)
7 Oct 2017, 12:01 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I covered using reserve army a while ago but the game hasn't really changed. Single engineer into 4 penals rather than the usual 2 engineer 3 penal strat. Rapid conscription spam into t34/76 spam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDcp5TyZi4U
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS