Login

russian armor

Attribute Editor crashing immediately after start!

28 Sep 2017, 09:25 AM

I don't get it, the thing was working pretty well last night, perfect even. Finished updating my mod, played a game with a friend on it, then went to sleep. The next day, I tried to launch up the editor again but the thing crashes as soon as it finishes loading up!

In fact, it happens so quickly, I only have a split second to do whatever I need to do, so I tried to catch a screencap of it with print screen and these are the red text errors I got in the bottom text box before it closes instantly;

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)

at AttributeEditorXML.Program.Main(String[] args)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got back in the 'groove' to mod, but this issue is killing it pretty quickly and I am quite lost about it!

And no, I am not aware of any updates on my computer. I left it on overnight, but it doesn't seem like my video card or java or anything updated.
I run on Windows 7, 64-bit. Like I said, everything was running perfectly last night, and this time, I've been getting that error.

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear from anyone soon that could provide assistance!

EDIT Found the log for the Attribute Editor on the AttributeEditorXMLLog.txt. This is what I got;

AttributeEditorXML.exe Error: 0 : Caught an exception in main e = System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderLayoutRoot.Read9_LayoutRoot()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader textReader)
at Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock.Layout.Serialization.XmlLayoutSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader reader)
at Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock.Layout.Serialization.XmlLayoutSerializer.Deserialize(String filepath)
at AttributeEditorXML.Windows.MainWindow.Window_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)

UPDATE 9/29/2017 5:10PM
I've just tried updating my graphics card to the latest drive version. Still no dice. Attempting to update my .Net Framework soon.

UPDATE 9/29/2017 6:54PM
I'm starting to run out of options. I've already updated my .NET Framework, updated my Flex SDK, updated my video card, ran SFC, and ran SFCFix to make sure it fixes what SFC wasn't able to, but my error continues to persist. I'm starting to feel a little more worried than I should be :<
28 Sep 2017, 17:52 PM

Is this happening when you open the attribute editor from the drop down menu in mod tools or when opening your mods attribute file in the attribute editor?

As in, can you open the attribute editor without any modded files?
29 Sep 2017, 01:59 AM

Is this happening when you open the attribute editor from the drop down menu in mod tools or when opening your mods attribute file in the attribute editor?

As in, can you open the attribute editor without any modded files?

Nope, I tried opening the AE with and without modded files and it still crashes on me, showing the exact same errors. Tried running the AE.exe directly, tried opening different .xml files, but still nothing but the same error that closes it down instantly.
30 Sep 2017, 09:00 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

AttributeEditorXML.exe Error: 0 : Caught an exception in main e = System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

It seems like a corrupt xml file which is used in the main function of the AttributeEditor. Have you tried to reinstall the Modtools/Attribute editor?
30 Sep 2017, 09:20 AM

It seems like a corrupt xml file which is used in the main function of the AttributeEditor. Have you tried to reinstall the Modtools/Attribute editor?

Yep, I've reinstalled it even on another drive and it still shows the same error. Just recently have I even tried system restore back a few days before the tools broke, yet the issue persists.

I'm re-downloading the CoH2 mod tools yet again on another drive atm. I highly doubt it's going to work though.

EDIT:
Yeah, no... Just reinstalled it on another drive for the 2nd time, and still no luck. The thing crashes as soon as it launches, showing the exact same error log.
1 Oct 2017, 19:52 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Well its def something with windows then. Something must have updated while your computer was on. Im not sure about your own preferences, but I turn off automatic updates for everything. If you dont, then it is most certainly updates that have caused this problem.

Try uninstalling whatever Java version you have and put in the latest version of 7 (Java 7 is very stable and compatible with most things), Java 8 can cause some problems. I don't think Video-card drivers are the problem here, as this is something with the XML.

I forget what program/update/software handles XML files, but that software not being compatible/implementing new things that the current version of the attrib editor cant handle is probably it. Knowing updates, its probably a update related to security and/or performance. So if an update caused this, then updating even more is probably not going to help. Downgrading a few things might be the solution here.
1 Oct 2017, 21:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Have you tried validating cache on the mod tools? The error mentions it can't find the root XML, so maybe you are missing files.
2 Oct 2017, 04:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Oct 2017, 19:52 PMLugie
Well its def something with windows then. Something must have updated while your computer was on. Im not sure about your own preferences, but I turn off automatic updates for everything. If you dont, then it is most certainly updates that have caused this problem.

Try uninstalling whatever Java version you have and put in the latest version of 7 (Java 7 is very stable and compatible with most things), Java 8 can cause some problems. I don't think Video-card drivers are the problem here, as this is something with the XML.

I forget what program/update/software handles XML files, but that software not being compatible/implementing new things that the current version of the attrib editor cant handle is probably it. Knowing updates, its probably a update related to security and/or performance. So if an update caused this, then updating even more is probably not going to help. Downgrading a few things might be the solution here.

Well, I've uninstalled Java 8 and downloaded Java 7. Still no luck and stuck with the same error. My windows updates are turned off as well, never have I switched them on as far as I can remember. At this point, I don't know what to downgrade, especially since my internet isn't the best.

At this point really, I might as well just reformat my computer for a fresh restart. Mostly just my main drive to get it over with. Someone told me that's how they fixed it atleast.

Have you tried validating cache on the mod tools? The error mentions it can't find the root XML, so maybe you are missing files.

Yep. Already tried validating the mod tools, and even reinstalling the mod tools on different drives. Same thing.
26 Jan 2018, 03:02 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the same (or very similar) problem today. However, I went to my AppData and purged the Attribute Editor folder and it seems to have worked for me. Try it, see if it works. Hope this helps.
6 Sep 2020, 14:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2018, 03:02 AMKasarov
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the same (or very similar) problem today. However, I went to my AppData and purged the Attribute Editor folder and it seems to have worked for me. Try it, see if it works. Hope this helps.

Thanks - That worked for me today.
5 Mar 2022, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jan 2018, 03:02 AMKasarov

Sorry to revive a very old thread, but i ran into same issue today. Can you guide me through your way of solving it. Thank
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 28
Germany 388

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment