Login

russian armor

Map Contest Status?

Law
15 Sep 2017, 00:00 AM

Does anybody know what's going on with the map contest? I don't have a dog in the show but I'm curious as to what is going on.
15 Sep 2017, 00:18 AM

As far as I know, it's proceeding more or less as planned.

Things were delayed last month, and there was a hiccup with the project transitioning from one relic staff member to another.

I think the 27th will be the final submission for the maps, so it's essentially in its final stage.

Andy_RE has been slowly making review posts of the accepted maps here:

https://community.companyofheroes.com/categories/maps

Either way, between now and the 27th, hopefully the maps still in the contest will get more than a couple reviews from people that aren't also the (former) competition. ;)

Personally I'm curious as to how the map makers are supposed to 'seek feedback' when they're remaining anonymous. I don't think the supply event to convince non-contestants to try the maps out is going to happen.
Law
16 Sep 2017, 02:51 AM

Thanks. After reading the dialogue between Tric and Andy... i'm still not sure what's going on. It answered my question though, well, for the most part.
16 Sep 2017, 03:56 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Now that Alliance of Defiance (AOD) has been cut I can talk about it. Ive never done this but here goes.

Relic, are you on drugs?

I dont know who is reviewing the maps but are your guys lights even remotely on??

Ive actually had mappers who submitted maps who are still in the contest and are confused why AOD was cut because they are certain their map is worse.

This was a 3 month project with experts to make a very balanced 2v2 map specifically for competition. Whoever is judging these maps has never touched competitive COH.

If i sound like im complaining because my map was cut, I am. Take a look at the maps for yourself.

The 2v2 map pool needs better maps added and shit maps cut, that's what this effort with 16+ players, a few of which are competitive experts, was put forth. Ive been making maps for over ten years and so many of them ive never released because they arent good enough (imo). If i submit a map for competition its solid, AOD has turned out great in all respects (tweaking is always on the table as usual).

But you know what.....im done with this game, Relic ya killed another one of your once upon a time admirers. Considering relic has abandoned it (no patch incoming) and this map competition which could have been a great thing has turned into a confusing mess and map judgment that is...shit. My interest in this game has always been competitive and map driven, but if the enormous effort to create these goes squandered then the effort disappears. Ive worked with Relic devs since COH1 2.602 with barely a whisper of gratitude. Few people there understand.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im sure theres things ive forgotten over the years but heres some. Work done mapping for COH:
-Fixed half of the maps for 2.602 COH1 patch
-Fixed at least 7 maps for COH2 release (they were even worse before the effort)
-Continued to support Relic at their request thru the COH2 release with map guidance, much was ignored but what can ya do, THQ was dying (Eagleheart you were a great Relic employee, they need more like you)
-Wrote the unique Worldbuilding with WhiteFlash guide
-Created a lot of mediocre maps over ten years, something like 10ish
-Created 2v2 Alsace Moselle (COH1)
-Created the successor to Alsace, 2v2 Alliance of Defiance (COH2) i maintain a very solid 2v2 map and worth listing on its own
-Created 1v1 Argentan Crossroads (COH1)
-Created 1v1 Crossroads (COH2)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This post surely isnt well crafted but this all needed to be said.

gbye coh

oh and i kept a running list of people who helped w the map AOD, it turned out great, thanks guys it was appreciated if i missed anyone i apologize;

lt reborn
sturm tiger
von stuve
the parasite
truexxx reborn
rjppunk
ninehunid reborn
budwise reborn
nosliw reborn
kimboslice
troyd
cheesesturm
magnolia
devlish
doggy
olafge

-WhiteFlashReborn
16 Sep 2017, 07:28 AM
Senior Referee Badge

Now that Alliance of Defiance (AOD) has been cut I can talk about it. Ive never done this but here goes.

Relic, are you on drugs?

I dont know who is reviewing the maps but are your guys lights even remotely on??

Ive actually had mappers who submitted maps who are still in the contest and are confused why AOD was cut because they are certain their map is worse.

This was a 3 month project with experts to make a very balanced 2v2 map specifically for competition. Whoever is judging these maps has never touched competitive COH.

If i sound like im complaining because my map was cut, I am. Take a look at the maps for yourself.

The 2v2 map pool needs better maps added and shit maps cut, that's what this effort with 16+ players, a few of which are competitive experts, was put forth. Ive been making maps for over ten years and so many of them ive never released because they arent good enough (imo). If i submit a map for competition its solid, AOD has turned out great in all respects (tweaking is always on the table as usual).

But you know what.....im done with this game, Relic ya killed another one of your once upon a time admirers. Considering relic has abandoned it (no patch incoming) and this map competition which could have been a great thing has turned into a confusing mess and map judgment that is...shit. My interest in this game has always been competitive and map driven, but if the enormous effort to create these goes squandered then the effort disappears. Ive worked with Relic devs since COH1 2.602 with barely a whisper of gratitude. Few people there understand.
Im sure theres things ive forgotten over the years but heres some. Work done mapping for COH:
-Fixed at least 7 maps for COH2 release (they were even worse before the effort)
-Continued to support Relic at their request thru the COH2 release with map guidance, much was ignored but what can ya do, THQ was dying (Eagleheart you were a great Relic employee, they need more like you)
-Created the successor to Alsace, 2v2 Alliance of Defiance (COH2) i maintain a very solid 2v2 map and worth listing on its own

gbye coh

oh and i kept a running list of people who helped w the map AOD, it turned out great, thanks guys it was appreciated if i missed anyone i apologize;

lt reborn
sturm tiger
von stuve
the parasite
truexxx reborn
rjppunk
ninehunid reborn
budwise reborn
nosliw reborn
kimboslice
troyd
cheesesturm
magnolia
devlish
doggy
olafge

-WhiteFlashReborn

Its really sad to hear that all of this is turning out in a mess and that you became a victim of it :(
16 Sep 2017, 09:49 AM

Relic, are you on drugs?

gbye coh

lt reborn
sturm tiger
von stuve
the parasite
truexxx reborn
rjppunk
ninehunid reborn
budwise reborn
nosliw reborn
kimboslice
troyd
cheesesturm
magnolia
devlish
doggy
olafge

-WhiteFlashReborn

When relic fired their entire dev team after ESL, the writing was on the wall. Even if there was some faith after that, the USF T0 mortar fiasco was the final nail.

lelic Entertainment: Where you we drain the community dry until there is no one left.
16 Sep 2017, 10:20 AM

-WhiteFlashReborn
hey thanks for all your maps and projects whiteFlash. keep well my man
16 Sep 2017, 12:30 PM

16 Sep 2017, 14:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2017, 12:30 PMRosbone

I think at this point there were supposed to be 15 maps. However, Andy_RE added two more maps at a later date. Ones that were officially rejected at first. After his talks with Tric, they may be doing something special since they missed a round of feedback.

I noticed that AOD has not yet received any Relic feedback (9/16). I would not count it out until the feedback shows up.

They weren't added to the Workshop, so I think he just posted reviews (sorta, if you read them.) to maps that were still rejected.

And Relic's feedback on AoD is explicit in that it did not advance in the map contest, which is a little baffling because it was one of the few maps that has actually been tested. :D
16 Sep 2017, 15:20 PM

16 Sep 2017, 15:25 PM

16 Sep 2017, 16:13 PM

Makes me sad for COH2 and it´s community.
A_E
16 Sep 2017, 19:35 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

They have staff stuff going on, they've said that, be patient imo.
16 Sep 2017, 20:05 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Ive been patient with relic since May of 2011, thats 6 years ive been patient with them. Im done being patient.
16 Sep 2017, 21:32 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

At what point does a Triple A developer fuck up the contest this badly? I entirely agree with WhiteFlash. I am trying to salvage this UTTER MESS while dealing with complete idiots from the community that still think it is okay to make snide remarks about the only person (me) that stuck up for all the maps publicly and like to think they know what the hell is going on when they don't have even the slightest clue, despite being told several times, as they choose to live in wonderland.

On top of that this is an official Relic contest, I merely helped setup the rules and they added the community judging which was to sate the abattoir of screaming, retarded children that is the large part of the community. And in a way I agree with their choice "give them an option to vote, so you can point the finger back at them", but at the end of the day... we didn't even get half the submissions we did for the 1v1 contest and the majority of these maps are from the same author multiple times, just goes to show you what happens when people with no way of communicating outside of "its shit" or "its good" get at the end of the day. Add in the targeted harassment that still persist TO THIS DAY and really wonder why this is such a shit show, and I'm sure I'll have to explain again why things were dont certain ways and why, at the end of it each time, its Relic fucking up.

Just like now. When Kyle left for 2 weeks I get one message saying "hey I'm leaving" and then nothing, no follow up contact info, or anything, and then we miss an entire period of judging (on top of it not even being setup), we don't have the supply event, and maps that ARE CLEARLY BETTER THAN SOME OF THE ONES THAT MADE IT THROUGH, got cut, because the people at Relic can't even communicate with each other let alone this community. And that means people didn't submit updated versions of their maps (cause no one new what the hell was going on) so they were just auto removed.

Hell, no one ever even got the confirmations we were promised.

Now remember, these same idiots will be making AoE 4. Just sit and think about that. This is an official RELIC contest, and this is how it is being run.

There are 3 maps that shouldn't have been cut (and wouldn't have been) if this shit show was being run by the community. The anonminty couldve been handled and was a big fucking issue with everyone and wouldn't have been an issue if this community wasn't constantly bitching about how the maps are shit when the majority of issues present are balance issues (from the words of the modders that make our patches mouth's and several top players).

All in all this will be the last train wreck from Relic and I'll be surprised (if the contest even finishes) if we have 3 patches left before complete abandonment.

16 Sep 2017, 21:56 PM

Why I´m not even disappointed after hearing these news ?

Maybe because the saying "a man will get used to anything if he´s given enough time" is true.
FBP, Miragefla 2016 patch, British Faction, 100 man RET, laser firing shermans, veterancy bug ....

:hansGG: Relic, you once agains did not surprise me. Why ? Because after all the debacles you can only surprise your community in a good way. I don´t get it why you always fail, sooner or later.

We are such a loving, caring community with such a big patience. I don´t know if you haven´t noticed but this game is driven for at least 2 years mostly by the community. Tournaments, maps, patching... Everything is done by the community. You have almost zero input in it. Yet you always fuck it perfectly.

GGWP RELIC

I´m almost sure Depeche Mode has some experience with Relic because this song is like written for them. This is your song Relic, only your from now.

16 Sep 2017, 21:58 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Relic burns bridges with good members of the community again, like clockwork.
16 Sep 2017, 23:35 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Troll post removed.

Back to topic.

Tobis has it on the nail.
17 Sep 2017, 19:49 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Hi everyone,

We've been dealing with a few issues, and recognize that there have been some problems with the contest thus far.

However, we really appreciate the efforts of the community and want to see this contest be as successful as possible. Please bear with us while we see what we can do moving forward.

Regarding Whiteflash's post, I've reached out to him directly to discuss the issue. Originally, his map was excluded for non-submission by the 2nd deadline, not for a lack of quality.

It seems there was either misunderstanding or miscommunication around this deadline.

In light of his work over the years, and the overall reception for this map, we will re-enter the map and have our Relic map judge assess it tomorrow.

I hope this clears up this specific issue, and I'd like to thank everyone for their passion and involvement in this project.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★