Login

russian armor

Mortar Pits Hiding behind buildings

22 Jun 2017, 14:13 PM

A forward Schwer is always a gamble due to how many artillery options allies have,

Also, every shot counts towards the schwer as well as the double leigs.

They don't have a magical push button forcefield or a auto rep button or an increase in health doctorin.

Still forces counter artillery and camping and is boring?
22 Jun 2017, 14:24 PM

But dude... Double leig near FRP protected by Schwer... Isn't it the same?

it's similar sure. But not like ISG can brace during barrages and Allies have tons of indirect fire options.

USF not so much, they're mainly doctrinal.

Compare though to stuka vs mortar pit. 100 fuel investment only to see brace spammed.

Katyusha vs ISG > Stuka vs mortar pit.

The only reliable counter is the howitzer, which is doctrinal and comes at 8CP. Until then, good luck get hit by a double mortar that can just brace if you even manage to push of IS and get near it.

But sure, I see the similarity. Camping playstyles should not be so viable.
22 Jun 2017, 15:03 PM

I always agree camping is boring as well as blobbing being terrible. But in this meta. Soviets are spamming mass penals with dshka.
Americans are flat out blobbing with calliope most every game
British are British. Nuff said there. (Landmattress/sim city)

I would guess people going double Leig is a must have to compete. I normally don't do that and rarely go schwer. I don't like cheese
22 Jun 2017, 17:35 PM

it's similar sure. But not like ISG can brace during barrages and Allies have tons of indirect fire options.

USF not so much, they're mainly doctrinal.

Compare though to stuka vs mortar pit. 100 fuel investment only to see brace spammed.

Katyusha vs ISG > Stuka vs mortar pit.

The only reliable counter is the howitzer, which is doctrinal and comes at 8CP. Until then, good luck get hit by a double mortar that can just brace if you even manage to push of IS and get near it.

But sure, I see the similarity. Camping playstyles should not be so viable.

Isg can move during barrages though. Schwerer, not so much, but sturmpios repair so fast that they can get it back to full health between barrages. Usf (IMO) can't camp as well as other factions, although it's certainly still possible.

Stuka vs mortar pit is certainly an inferior matchup, but you can delete any vickers and 6pdrs in the area and then rush in while his simcity is braced. Flame nades still do a ton of damage vs. braced structures as well.
22 Jun 2017, 17:51 PM

The difference is between OKW dedicating a whole strategy around that play (2 Leigs and one fucking expensive Tier building somewhere near the frontline. as UKF i just flood manpower for 1,5mins and build it somewhere and force my opponent to deal with it (atleast in 1v1 because it covers 2 VPs on almost any map i can think of) while beeing totally flexible with my strategy and teching.

edit: brace is just the icing on top of it.
thats not even taking in consideration how late schwerer HQ comes and how many possible counters can be avaible at that time.
22 Jun 2017, 20:18 PM
Patrion 310

How is it biased? He's hardly the only player who dislikes facing up against mortar pits behind shotblockers.

Anyone who plays both allies and axis can probably agree that emplacements affect gameplay hugely. It forces counter artillery and camping. it's boring. They take almost no micro and with shotblockers, they can last for absolutely ages.

I don't see the bias.

Just check this threads, all are complaining about op allies stuff and how underpowered OKW is

22 Jun 2017, 20:29 PM

Just check this threads, all are complaining about op allies stuff and how underpowered OKW is

Bias elsewhere doesn't mean there's bias here.

I think mortar pits go against the heart and soul of CoH, where dynamic play is exciting and rewarded. Emplacements negate that and force static play. Mortar behind a builnding is famously difficult to destroy. Let's assume there's no bias for a moment, do you feel that this unit improves gameplay or has a negative effect?
nee
22 Jun 2017, 22:19 PM

IMO mortar pits seem to have better firing arc over buildins whereas any oposing artillery does not, so you get the Pak43 shotblocker sort of frustration where you can't shoot back at something despite using the exact same method.
At least Pak43 is large, doctrinal, expensive and shoots slower and doesn't have Brace.
The obvious solution to this real/imagined problem is that if you build a pit like right next to building, expect the majority of its shells to be firing at the building rather than over.

Or just nerf mortar pits, it's already durable, non-doctrinal and excellent range, plus the garrison/ Forward Assembly buff. It's basically the Volksgrenadier/ T2 FRP of Brits.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★