Login

russian armor

Flamers

19 Apr 2017, 23:01 PM

I don't use them much, as I don't play as the EFA factions that much, but how do flamer mechanics work in general? Does their dps change at range? Is it affected by RA? Stuff like that. Thanks.
19 Apr 2017, 23:18 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I don't use them much, as I don't play as the EFA factions that much, but how do flamer mechanics work in general? Does their dps change at range? Is it affected by RA? Stuff like that. Thanks.

DPS is consistant per burst but can hit multiple models since it's an AoE weapon. So if your tightly clumped in cover it'll hit most if not all models and the health damage will be equal across all models. Same applies for garrisons. Every model is damaged X amount per burst no matter how big or small the garrison. DPS does not change with range and is not affected by RA.
19 Apr 2017, 23:53 PM

DPS is consistant per burst but can hit multiple models since it's an AoE weapon. So if your tightly clumped in cover it'll hit most if not all models and the health damage will be equal accross all models. Same applies for garrisons. Every model is damaged X amount per burst no matter how big or small the garrison. DPS does not change with range and is not affected by RA.

Thanks. Is the flamer an accuracy roll too? Or does it just always hit somebody?
19 Apr 2017, 23:57 PM

Could someone also explain the flame crit mechanic? I vaguely recall reading about it but I haven't really worked out exactly how it works. Is just RNG? Nothing impacts the chances?
20 Apr 2017, 00:02 AM

I want to add a question: does the flamer still do bonus damage to green cover and reduced damage to red cover?
20 Apr 2017, 00:31 AM
Developer Relic Badge

Alright, going to toss these out here just to quickly answer everything regarding handheld flamers.

-1.25 damage versus heavy cover and garrisons

-No penalties or bonuses against units in Negative Cover (

-Accuracy of 1, but AOE accuracy of 15 so it never misses.

-AOE of 2 which deals equal damage throughout its AOE

-Equal cooldowns and aim-time throughout all ranges (1.25/1.75 min and max cooldown)

-Range of 20 (Rifles and most small-arms are 35)
20 Apr 2017, 00:52 AM

Alright, going to toss these out here just to quickly answer everything regarding handheld flamers.

-1.25 damage versus heavy cover and garrisons

-No penalties or bonuses against units in Negative Cover (

-Accuracy of 1, but AOE accuracy of 15 so it never misses.

-AOE of 2 which deals equal damage throughout its AOE

-Equal cooldowns and aim-time throughout all ranges (1.25/1.75 min and max cooldown)

-Range of 20 (Rifles and most small-arms are 35)

I believe most of these are correct except the penalty in negative cover. This only applies to water negative cover but if you're standing in negative cover that is water the flamer damage is multiplied by 0.5. All other negative cover doesn't matter.

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Apr 2017, 23:57 PMNano
Could someone also explain the flame crit mechanic? I vaguely recall reading about it but I haven't really worked out exactly how it works. Is just RNG? Nothing impacts the chances?

Can you explain what this crit is? I've never heard of a flamer criting.
20 Apr 2017, 00:57 AM

Can you explain what this crit is? I've never heard of a flamer criting.

Maybe there is no such thing, I thought I recalled reading that flamers could crit in some way. Maybe not :S

People seem to mention something like it here and there:
https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/191713/bring-back-100-health-flame-crits-for-heavy-flamers-and-molotovs
20 Apr 2017, 01:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 00:57 AMNano

Maybe there is no such thing, I thought I recalled reading that flamers could crit in some way. Maybe not :S

People seem to mention something like it here and there:
https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/191713/bring-back-100-health-flame-crits-for-heavy-flamers-and-molotovs

The article is saying that 100% HP flamer crits were once in the game but no longer. Heavy flamers included (according to the article) vehicle flamethrowers like the KV-8, 251 HT flamers, and the crocodile a bit later upon release had the crit still been in the game. As far as I can tell it has been removed. I imagine it was part of the patch after the garrison flame resistant patch since those vehicles were destroying garrisons incredibly fast and then the next patch they toned down the flame power against garrisons. They never removed the massive garrison flame resist part when they toned down the flamethrowers against garrisons, so now you can see a single flamethrower takes like 2-3 minutes to actually set a garrison on fire.
20 Apr 2017, 02:26 AM

The article is saying that 100% HP flamer crits were once in the game but no longer. Heavy flamers included (according to the article) vehicle flamethrowers like the KV-8, 251 HT flamers, and the crocodile a bit later upon release had the crit still been in the game. As far as I can tell it has been removed. I imagine it was part of the patch after the garrison flame resistant patch since those vehicles were destroying garrisons incredibly fast and then the next patch they toned down the flame power against garrisons. They never removed the massive garrison flame resist part when they toned down the flamethrowers against garrisons, so now you can see a single flamethrower takes like 2-3 minutes to actually set a garrison on fire.

Back when molotovs were considered OP...
20 Apr 2017, 02:34 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I believe most of these are correct except the penalty in negative cover. This only applies to water negative cover but if you're standing in negative cover that is water the flamer damage is multiplied by 0.5. All other negative cover doesn't matter.

Can't really confirm but i'm not sure if those types of covers are been used.
20 Apr 2017, 02:49 AM

Can't really confirm but i'm not sure if those types of covers are been used.

TBH not that hard to confirm. Just stick a squad of say riflemen in the massive swamp in the north of bryansk forest and give an ostheer pio a flamer and kill the 3 models with MP40s. If the flamer does half damage, 100% confirmed. It's in the mod tools so I assume it's factual anyways.
20 Apr 2017, 03:10 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

TBH not that hard to confirm. Just stick a squad of say riflemen in the massive swamp in the north of bryansk forest and give an ostheer pio a flamer and kill the 3 models with MP40s. If the flamer does half damage, 100% confirmed. It's in the mod tools so I assume it's factual anyways.

True, although his remark was true. Negative cover is "negative". Water (if applies) is "water" but both are "red cover".
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★