Login

russian armor

Advanced Emplacement Regiment discussion

20 Apr 2017, 15:25 PM

I've never thought of this commander as being OP but it is annoying. Brace costing muni isn't a bad suggestion IMO.

Let's say somebody buys rocket artillery against an emplacement and they brace...its free and effective defense against a relatively expensive unit, that's not balanced...make it cost muni.
20 Apr 2017, 16:20 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Here is another problem with emplacements in general, they can be build out of supply. One game I though, oh he is going to build here so I attacked the cut off. Nope did not work...
20 Apr 2017, 16:25 PM

1. Emplacements are simply not fun
2. The micro to have/to destroy are completely opposite
3. Brace needs to be toned down, emplacements are hard enough to attack with a well defending army. Especially in 2v2s
4. British in general are idiot proof cheese ability cheese units.
20 Apr 2017, 21:56 PM

Is it really fun for anyone to sit and watch a mortar pit a forward assembly and a bofors, while occasionally hitting brace? I cannot imagine not drooling on myself while playing this commander.

Ah right, now I'm with you.
Normally I either knit or do some artistic welding in between braces. Not sure what others do.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 14:16 PMBudwise
The introduction of this commander brought about the decline of this game imo. It's just now recovering but this commander I still loathe with a passion.

+1
It was a last hurrah of a cash grab by Relic i reckon

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 14:27 PMGarrett

I agree, this commander represents almost everything thats wrong with the game. Very noob friendly, hard to counter, plus it is forcing you to play a certain way, or you instant lose. Auto repair makes for little risks of losing engeneers (that you effectively dont need); enemy annoys you with ISG? Just activate 1-click counter-battery. Enemy has tanks? Well, you still have OP-Comet and/or Fireflies...

See this is why I love OKW scavange commander.
that 105 arty just rapes everything
20 Apr 2017, 22:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 14:31 PMVipper
One could simply remove the repair emplacements aspect and make it work like Soviet industry ones...

Repair for F.Assemblies/A.Assemblies really needs to go.

Definetly, it is just stupid that you can repair your stuff without any risk of losing engeneers or other units in the process. You dont get punished for receiving damage, just brace and let it be auto-repaired.

As many people here have pointed out, there are counters (like Fortification or the 105mm Scavenge arty). The problem is that your hands are pretty much tied, plus you still have to focus all your efforts on a god-damn emplacement that just doesnt seem to die. If you finally remove it, it isnt even so much of a loss to the Brit (compared to Flak-HQ for example). While all your indirect fire is shooting at the emplacements, thus not threatening enemy infantry, you still have to micro all your units so that they dont get hit by the enemy mortars. As some people here pointed out, the micro that you have to invest to counter it is not even comparable to the easiness of just building one bofors/mortar after another and then drinking a tea, or reading a newspaper or whatever you feel like - dont really have to use any micro except the occasional brace and counter-battery.
20 Apr 2017, 22:13 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Although the commander can't be removed, the forward assembly ability could probably be replaced.
20 Apr 2017, 22:25 PM

IMO, forward assembly should be a muni cost and repair vehicles only (basically Brit repair bays) while Counterbattery should become something like Coh1's Brit Overwatch. With a few other changes, you could probably make the commander something of a support commander rather than some Sim City bullshit.
20 Apr 2017, 22:53 PM

Did anyone use this commander in the GCS and win?
20 Apr 2017, 22:55 PM

At the moment, I have the most success when I focus on getting the forward HQ down first. Since it can't brace and is generally weaker. Once that goes things generally go down hill for the cancer commander.
20 Apr 2017, 23:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 22:53 PMGrumpy
Did anyone use this commander in the GCS and win?

Thats irrelevant since we talk about team games here and because good players dont go Bofors. Doesnt mean the commander is okay though.
20 Apr 2017, 23:05 PM

Here is another problem with emplacements in general, they can be build out of supply. One game I though, oh he is going to build here so I attacked the cut off. Nope did not work...

Last I checked, you can't start construction out of supply but you can finish it.
21 Apr 2017, 02:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2017, 23:03 PMGarrett

Thats irrelevant since we talk about team games here and because good players dont go Bofors. Doesnt mean the commander is okay though.

Even in team games, this commander isn't that good. I'd much rather play against it than Tactical Support, Vanguard, Mobile Assault, even Royal Engineer or Royal Arty. The best thing about it is the engineers from the forward assembly. They have good repair speed and synergize with Comets quite well (but then, what doesn't?).

21 Apr 2017, 14:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2017, 02:21 AMGrumpy

Even in team games, this commander isn't that good. I'd much rather play against it than Tactical Support, Vanguard, Mobile Assault, even Royal Engineer or Royal Arty. The best thing about it is the engineers from the forward assembly. They have good repair speed and synergize with Comets quite well (but then, what doesn't?).

We are not discussing other BS commanders here, this thread is not to find out which has the most cancer. The point that most commentators here make is that it takes extremely little skill, effort and micro to be succesful, or at least to annoy the hell out of your opponent.

But try to play Minsk Pocket against this commander. You will have much fun, believe me. At guns get countered by the mortar pit, your indirect fire gets countered by counter-artillery, and at the same time his emplacements will be auto-repaired! If his mate plays USF, this guy can push and safely retreat until they get the nice Comet/Calliope combination and you slowly drain out of victory points. Sounds extremely fun, doesnt it?
23 Apr 2017, 23:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Apr 2017, 14:17 PMGarrett

We are not discussing other BS commanders here, this thread is not to find out which has the most cancer. The point that most commentators here make is that it takes extremely little skill, effort and micro to be succesful, or at least to annoy the hell out of your opponent.

But try to play Minsk Pocket against this commander. You will have much fun, believe me. At guns get countered by the mortar pit, your indirect fire gets countered by counter-artillery, and at the same time his emplacements will be auto-repaired! If his mate plays USF, this guy can push and safely retreat until they get the nice Comet/Calliope combination and you slowly drain out of victory points. Sounds extremely fun, doesnt it?

It's not just map depended, also game mode can be a thing. In 4v4 you can have 2+ Brits do exactly the same thing on a key fuel point. Then they just stall until they can run you down with Comets. I hope with the pending Comet changes it will be less cancer.
24 Apr 2017, 06:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2017, 23:43 PMNano

It's not just map depended, also game mode can be a thing. In 4v4 you can have 2+ Brits do exactly the same thing on a key fuel point. Then they just stall until they can run you down with Comets. I hope with the pending Comet changes it will be less cancer.

Its not only about that, they can also camp VPs and make it incredibly hard to gain access to VPs, and with the low count of just 500 even in big game modes, you run out pretty fast. Some bofors/mortar on one VP is sufficient to hold it for a long time...
24 Apr 2017, 16:14 PM

Perhaps apply a delay for brace

~10 seconds. So the attacker has a 10 second window to apply damage assuming it was a sneak attack.

Doesn't make it exactly brainless to activate. Would then require strategic thinking, to plan on what your enemy is going to do or doing

Also doesn't completely waste Stuka shots and such.

Can't brace while using self repair ability or vise versa

Can only allow 2 structures in one sector to help prevent sim city
24 Apr 2017, 16:48 PM

I think if brace reduced MP income for duration (think soviet crew repairs, but for manpower) it would be far more balanced. Problem is you can inflict hella bleed without taking a drop
25 Apr 2017, 02:49 AM

Brace on its own isn't really the issue though. It's the combination of the cancer commanders abilities that make it difficult to deal with.

The key is really to kill the forward HQ first. But that is often very hard to do because mortar pits can fight back very effectively. Maybe if we reduced the range of the passive repair from it and upped the respawn time of the engineers that come out of it after they die it might reduce the impact of the forward HQ.
25 Apr 2017, 17:00 PM

I agree the range is nasty, personally i would rather its auto fire be reduced and its barrage allow for increased range, then at least the brit has to do SOMETHING aside from set up their automation
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★