Login

russian armor

New modder!! A lot of modding questions!

13 Feb 2017, 07:24 AM

I am a new modder who just started modding 3 months ago. I am now making a turning mod and I have a lot of questions want to ask you guys.
1. I want to make Maxim HMG into lmg just like 30cal and mg42(lmg). I have tried to make it into a slot item but it will not show animation( model). I have also tried to make it an epbs and add it to the squad as an upgrade, but once the squad get the upgrade, the whole squad will split into half and one of them will automatically become an HMG squad.
2.I want to make a mortar trench. I have successfully make it happen but I could not make the inside mortar doing any force attack(hit the ground) or ability. Also, my trench model is based on the UKF mortar emplacement. If I want it can hold a USF pack 75mm and LInGs. Do I need to add texts into the abps files?
3. I have tried put a commander on KV1. But it seems like the whole person is glitched in the tank. Do I have a way to fix it?
Sorry, if there are a lot of grammars mistakes. I am not an English speaker
13 Feb 2017, 07:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 07:24 AMHarry
I am a new modder who just started modding 3 months ago. I am now making a turning mod and I have a lot of questions want to ask you guys.
1. I want to make Maxim HMG into lmg just like 30cal and mg42(lmg). I have tried to make it into a slot item but it will not show animation( model). I have also tried to make it an epbs and add it to the squad as an upgrade, but once the squad get the upgrade, the whole squad will split into half and one of them will automatically become an HMG squad.
2.I want to make a mortar trench. I have successfully make it happen but I could not make the inside mortar doing any force attack(hit the ground) or ability. Also, my trench model is based on the UKF mortar emplacement. If I want it can hold a USF pack 75mm and LInGs. Do I need to add texts into the abps files?
3. I have tried put a commander on KV1. But it seems like the whole person is glitched in the tank. Do I have a way to fix it?
Sorry, if there are a lot of grammars mistakes. I am not an English speaker
13 Feb 2017, 12:54 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Welcome to modding COH2! It's always good to see some new people here.

1. I'm afraid that's not possible, because team weapons are fundamentally different to small arms in how they work. Team weapons are separate entities with squad members being attached to the gun, while small arms are more or less just animation states shown on the entities.
You could make the Maxim behave more like a slot item by giving it an instant setup and better movement stats. Alternatively, you could give its stats to a slot item like the DP-28.

2. Each weapon has, under "behaviour", a flag named "attack_ground_type". This needs to be set to "anywhere" for barrages to work while garrisoned.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 07:24 AMHarry
Do I need to add texts into the abps files?

What do you mean by that?

3. I have tried that as well, a while ago. It seems that the marker for the crew position is set wrongly, so I don't believe there is anything we can do about it, sadly.

I'm sorry that I couldn't provide any more help, but the mod tools are quite limited right now. Feel free to ask any more questions you might have, though!
13 Feb 2017, 18:57 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

"Do I need to add texts into the abps files?"
What do you mean by that?

You only need to add the other models in the abp file when they have to act as one entity. An emplacement with garrison doesn't require any abp changes. You only need to change the hold of the emplacement to enable the hold of other unit types (Default is only infantry and mg). I doubt that the models will get the right position in the trench, but you just have to try it ;)
13 Feb 2017, 20:02 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You only need to add the other models in the abp file when they have to act as one entity. An emplacement with garrison doesn't require any abp changes. You only need to change the hold of the emplacement to enable the hold of other unit types (Default is only infantry and mg). I doubt that the models will get the right position in the trench, but you just have to try it ;)

Oh, I didn't realise the question was about ABP files :D You're right - that's not necessary in this case.
Also, from my testing, I can say that the le.IG fits into a mortar pit pretty well, but the Pack Howitzer doesn't quite fit.
13 Feb 2017, 20:17 PM

I have tried to put soviet 120mm mortar into the trench. For some reason, the mortar was placed at the infantry position( the place where the infantries stand where is on the edge of the emplacement) instead of in the middle( where usually the two mortars place in the default UKF emplacement). I have tried to change the type of the 120mm mortar, and also the hold unit type of the trench. None of them work. Do you guys know how to fix it.( Same idea for At guns and Support guns)? And, thx for your guys help.
And also, Sneakeye. I am the person who asked you questions under your Steam mod page discussion. So, thx for helping me again!
13 Feb 2017, 20:33 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Feb 2017, 20:17 PMHarry
I have tried to put soviet 120mm mortar into the trench. For some reason, the mortar was placed at the infantry position( the place where the infantries stand where is on the edge of the emplacement) instead of in the middle( where usually the two mortars place in the default UKF emplacement). I have tried to change the type of the 120mm mortar, and also the hold unit type of the trench. None of them work. Do you guys know how to fix it.( Same idea for At guns and Support guns)? And, thx for your guys help.

The mortar pit model works with the HM-38, as you can see in the trending image on the front page. Clone the mortar entity's "holdable_ext" and change "holdable" from "hold_large_gun" to "hold_mortar". You can do that for the light artillery guns as well. If you then also modify their weapons as I described above, they should be fully functional.

Edit: You also need to set "enable_in_building" to True for the barrage abilities.
14 Feb 2017, 01:23 AM

The mortar pit model works with the HM-38, as you can see in the trending image on the front page. Clone the mortar entity's "holdable_ext" and change "holdable" from "hold_large_gun" to "hold_mortar". You can do that for the light artillery guns as well. If you then also modify their weapons as I described above, they should be fully functional.

Edit: You also need to set "enable_in_building" to True for the barrage abilities.

Thx, Planet Smasher.
Thx for your help, the 120mm mortar finally fits in the middle. But, those abilities are still not able to active.
I have changed "enable_in_building" to True for the barrage abilities. To be more specific, When I am trying to active the mortar ability, it will start cooldown(the icon will turn yellow), but no actual action will be done, and because of this. The cooldown bar will maintain at the beginning. Could you please tell me how to fix it?
Edit, the mortar in the trench will not autofire at long range( close range yes).How do I suppose to change it?( I have added an ability to increase mortar performance when they are in garrison which including increase weapon range.)
14 Feb 2017, 08:32 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Feb 2017, 01:23 AMHarry
I have changed "enable_in_building" to True for the barrage abilities. To be more specific, When I am trying to active the mortar ability, it will start cooldown(the icon will turn yellow), but no actual action will be done, and because of this. The cooldown bar will maintain at the beginning. Could you please tell me how to fix it?
Edit, the mortar in the trench will not autofire at long range( close range yes).How do I suppose to change it?( I have added an ability to increase mortar performance when they are in garrison which including increase weapon range.)

Each weapon has, under "behaviour", a flag named "attack_ground_type". This needs to be set to "anywhere" for barrages to work while garrisoned.

Have you done this? Also, note that for barrages, you need to make sure the weapon has at least the same range as the ability. Make sure to increase both when garrisoned. Lastly, as far as I know, mobile team weapons (everything with wheels, basically) will only be able to fire to the front of the emplacement, because they can not rotate once set up.

I have a mod that I'll probably release later today where this stuff is included. I can send you the source files, if you want.
14 Feb 2017, 19:17 PM

Have you done this? Also, note that for barrages, you need to make sure the weapon has at least the same range as the ability. Make sure to increase both when garrisoned. Lastly, as far as I know, mobile team weapons (everything with wheels, basically) will only be able to fire to the front of the emplacement, because they can not rotate once set up.

I have a mod that I'll probably release later today where this stuff is included. I can send you the source files if you want.

Yes, I have done all that you mentioned. I have changed everything that might control firing in garrison to "true". And, also. "you need to make sure the weapon has at least the same range as the ability.", Sorry, What do you mean by that? Considering the garrison buffing ability is interdependent on the barrage ability. Do I really need to make sure both of them are having the same range? ( pack support gun is having a different auto fire range and barrage range. ). At this point. Do you think there is any possibility that something is wrong with the emplacement entity?
For auto fire question, I meant for team weapons like mortars and support guns. They should be able to auto-chase(aim) the enemy and fire at them. Originally, they should do these too when they are in garrison. Do you remember if there was a default mortar trench( I think it is under epbs, environment)?Any Mortar in that trench could auto fire at the enemies. I made my trench base on that entity. I only changed the model link and added a construction command. Here are more details about what is happening right now to the mortars in the trench which i made. It will auto_fire (rotate their fire angle and start firing)only when the enemies are close enough( almost face to face, out of the closest limit range). If the enemies are too far away from them(Still in the weapon range, and they are visible.), I have to give them commands to attack the enemies. I think there may be something wrong with the line of sight entity( considering the buff I set up for the garrisoned mortar is only for increasing their weapon range).

Yes. If you can send me your source file, I would appreciate you a lot!
I will give you my email address when you respond to me again.Also, I will send you my source file too. Could you help me check the mortar entities if there is anything wrong?

Once again, Thank you very much Planet Smasher, Thank you very much!!!!
14 Feb 2017, 21:52 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Feb 2017, 19:17 PMHarry
Yes, I have done all that you mentioned. I have changed everything that might control firing in garrison to "true". And, also. "you need to make sure the weapon has at least the same range as the ability.", Sorry, What do you mean by that? Considering the garrison buffing ability is interdependent on the barrage ability. Do I really need to make sure both of them are having the same range? ( pack support gun is having a different auto fire range and barrage range. ). At this point. Do you think there is any possibility that something is wrong with the emplacement entity?
For auto fire question, I meant for team weapons like mortars and support guns. They should be able to auto-chase(aim) the enemy and fire at them. Originally, they should do these too when they are in garrison. Do you remember if there was a default mortar trench( I think it is under epbs, environment)?Any Mortar in that trench could auto fire at the enemies. I made my trench base on that entity. I only changed the model link and added a construction command. Here are more details about what is happening right now to the mortars in the trench which i made. It will auto_fire (rotate their fire angle and start firing)only when the enemies are close enough( almost face to face, out of the closest limit range). If the enemies are too far away from them(Still in the weapon range, and they are visible.), I have to give them commands to attack the enemies. I think there may be something wrong with the line of sight entity( considering the buff I set up for the garrisoned mortar is only for increasing their weapon range).

Yes. If you can send me your source file, I would appreciate you a lot!
I will give you my email address when you respond to me again.Also, I will send you my source file too. Could you help me check the mortar entities if there is anything wrong?

Once again, Thank you very much Planet Smasher, Thank you very much!!!!

No problem, helping each other out is the purpose of this forum!

Which model did you use? The trench or the mortar pit? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Let's use the Pack Howitzer as an example. The entity has five different weapons in its combat_ext. The first one is for right-click attack, auto-attack and attack ground. For that one, you need to make sure the minimum range is not too high. The second weapon is used for the standard barrage ability. This ability has a maximum range of 120. Let's say you increase that by 50%, so it becomes 120*1,5=180. Now the range of the weapon also needs to be at least 180, or the barrage ability will not always work.

This means that for every barrage ability, you need to check how high the maximum range can possibly be, including veterancy modifiers and everything. Then you need to make sure the weapon used by the barrage ability also has at least the same range. (More is also alright.)

You can download the files for my mod here: https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/NoMoreSimCity

Open them with the Mod Tools and have a look, maybe that will help you. If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask.
If nothing else works, you can also send me your files, maybe I'll find your mistake.
15 Feb 2017, 01:11 AM

No problem, helping each other out is the purpose of this forum!

Which model did you use? The trench or the mortar pit? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Let's use the Pack Howitzer as an example. The entity has five different weapons in its combat_ext. The first one is for right-click attack, auto-attack and attack ground. For that one, you need to make sure the minimum range is not too high. The second weapon is used for the standard barrage ability. This ability has a maximum range of 120. Let's say you increase that by 50%, so it becomes 120*1,5=180. Now the range of the weapon also needs to be at least 180, or the barrage ability will not always work.

This means that for every barrage ability, you need to check how high the maximum range can possibly be, including veterancy modifiers and everything. Then you need to make sure the weapon used by the barrage ability also has at least the same range. (More is also alright.)

You can download the files for my mod here: https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/NoMoreSimCity

Open them with the Mod Tools and have a look, maybe that will help you. If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask.
If nothing else works, you can also send me your files, maybe I'll find your mistake.

Thx for your file. But, sorry, I couldn't figure out what's wrong with my mortar abilities. And I think we have both misunderstood each other for quite a bit. I added a buff ability to autofire.Not the barrage ability.( But I did set both of them having the same max range). And, for the auto fire issue. In your mortar pit, every support weapon could auto aim the enemies and fire at them. But, in my trench(in my mod, to be more specific), they will not. (oh, I made my mortar trench base on default mortar trench' data which is under epbs environment
, the only two things I changed was added a construction command and changed the "trench" model into a "UFK's mortar pit" model).
Can I send you my file? Could you please help me to check it.
Here are all the changes I did( all base on soviet 82mm mortar)
1. I have made the garrison barrage ability independently compare to a regular barrage.
they are all under mbm/weapon/....barrage_hold(both of the smoke and normal garrison barrage is named with_hold after their default name.
2. My mortar trench(pit) is under mbm/epbs/environment. And there should be only one file. The construction mission is given to soviet combat engineer.
3. The garrisoned mortar ability is under mbm/abilities/soviet/time_abilites and its name is mortar_hold_round.(it applies to every autofire abilities)
Here is link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1r6_0QWePLFOEtZcW54SzBfTDg?usp=sharing
Please help me.
Tnx for your help,again
15 Feb 2017, 11:20 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Sure, I can have a look. I can't access the file, though. Could you unlock it or upload it somewhere else?
15 Feb 2017, 23:22 PM

Sure, I can have a look. I can't access the file, though. Could you unlock it or upload it somewhere else?

Sorry for responding you late, I was at school and I did not have my laptop with me.
Here is the new link to my file. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1Skht32xsnzdVluNEpiYS1ySU0?usp=sharing
If this does not work. I think the only left for me is sending you my folder through email. So, if you can not download anything from this link. Please give me your email address.
Thx a lot
15 Feb 2017, 23:54 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

No problem!

Your new barrage abilities are not working because you forgot to change which hardpoint they use - they are still trying to use the original, unchanged weapons which don't work while garrisoned.

You also didn't add the new auto-fire weapon to the mortar entity. It still uses the original weapon with 80 range. I would suggest adding it as a second weapon to hardpoint 1 and creating a requirement_action with required_in_structure in the entity's action_apply_ext to switch between the two weapons!
16 Feb 2017, 00:01 AM

No problem!

Your new barrage abilities are not working because you forgot to change which hardpoint they use - they are still trying to use the original, unchanged weapons which don't work while garrisoned.

You also didn't add the new auto-fire weapon to the mortar entity. It still uses the original weapon with 80 range. I would suggest adding it as a second weapon to hardpoint 1 and creating a requirement_action with required_in_structure in the entity's action_apply_ext to switch between the two weapons!

Thx, I will try your suggestions out tomorrow.( I have a test tomorrow, so I have to review for it tonight:()
I will tell you the result after I have tried.
Thx again!
16 Feb 2017, 07:12 AM

No problem!

the

I have tried all of your suggestions. For the barrage problem. They finally worked:lolol:. Thank you.
BUT, the mortars in the trench do not show any animations when doing Barrage( I have changed "show passenger animation" to TRUE. Do you know what is wrong with it?
For the autofire issue. I have figured out what was wrong by myself.It was because, For some reason, when the mortars get into the trench. They will automatically follow the trench sight data in epbs. I have fixed it by increasing the sight max radius of the mortar trench. BUT!It seems like this is a bad idea. Because, since all the mortars and a weapon that more than 60. Some of them even having a range of 120. It is radiculose when I changed the mortar sight to 130.It could literally have a vision that more than the half-length of a map. Do you any better idea to fix my autofire issue?
But still, I have to say Thank you again.:)
16 Feb 2017, 20:25 PM

Out of curiosity are the mortars unable to fire outside their sight range? Can they barrage into the fow?

Sight range and weapon range are very different values, and especially pertinent for indirect fire weapons.

The mortars don't need sight in the trench /pit necessarily, so as long as it's sight is appropriate for any other unit using it like infantry or mgs.
16 Feb 2017, 21:01 PM

Out of curiosity are the mortars unable to fire outside their sight range? Can they barrage into the fow?

Sight range and weapon range are very different values, and especially pertinent for indirect fire weapons.

The mortars don't need sight in the trench /pit necessarily, so as long as it's sight is appropriate for any other unit using it like infantry or mgs.

I totally understand. But, right now. For some reason. When the mortars get into the trench. It will be automatically limited by the sight of the trench(whatever I set the trench into natural or not). So, just pretend the trench has only 35 range in max sight angle. Then the mortars inside it can only auto attack the targets inside that range.( I set the mortar autofire weapon range to 70, so it should be able to attack any target inside 70 range). I realized it by changing the sight of the trench 100, then the 82mm mortar(which has a range of 70) work fine. But for 120mm mortar( which has a range of 120) won't attack anything outside 100 range, however, I could still ground attack everything in 120 range.I know it is kind of unbelievable. But, I guess there should be something wrong with the trench epbs!
17 Feb 2017, 01:03 AM

Okay, that clarifies to me what you were saying. I wasn't sure.

So well damn, I wish I had a solution for you off the top of my head. Maybe this weekend I'll investigate it a bit when I have time, but there's a number of people here who have explored the murky waters of modding emplacements/garrisons far more than I. Hopefully they can help.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★