Login

russian armor

M42 change ideas - Winter Patch 1.2 / 1.3 / 1.4

15 Dec 2016, 08:26 AM

We are also working on some more anti infantry utility for Penals in v1.3 to make them more desirable and flexible without making them necessarily stronger.

Realistically, T1 isn't so attractive at the moment because of how OP maxims are currently, but Maxims will definitely be getting nerfed next patch (if we get that far) which will make Tier1 a bit more attractive.

Nerfed penals and maxims, with penal AI further compromised by PTRS, will leave RUS weak against strong long range AI dps. Remember the days of 90% Axis queues in automatch?

Anyway, this thread is about M42. One other benefit of M42 over penal PTRS is that it better counters flame halftrack. MAxim is one of the better detterents against this unit, penals probably won't be as good without maxim support against it. Even if they have PTRS.
15 Dec 2016, 08:58 AM

When I first made the video talking about PTRS Penals and I mentioned M42, I couldn't articulate my thoughts on it so I breezed over it. I have had a think about putting the M42 on Tier 1 as opposed to PTRS Penals and I have come up with the following issues, aside from the fact that its out of scope and probably not possible to get cleared by Relic anyway

• It's a boring overlap to just have a shitty version of the Ziss gun on Tier1, whether or not its got some gimicks to make it useful. PTRS Penals is a more unique approach that's completely different to the Ziss gun. This makes Tier1 actually feel unique instead of "It's Tier2 minus the Maxim." since you could argue that Sniper and Mortar fill a similar role. (dislodging and harassing static units)

• M42 won't scale into the late game where as PTRS Penals are mobile and still decent due to deflection damage. (Assuming that Penals can get a 3rd PTRS option later on in the game which we have coming for 1.3) If M42 gets deflection damage its then going to be the only AT gun in the game with deflection, where as all infantry-based AT weapons have deflection damage

• It will require the commanders with M42 on it to have a new ability, which will be more work and would put it even more out of scope of the patch

• PTRS Penals gives a lot of fun synergy with M3 and M5, which will help those units become more interesting because currently they're not very useful or at least one-dimensional. (M3 as Flamer Clown Car, M5 as Quad.)

• Having to build the M-42 instead of just upgrading PTRS to ward off light vehicles will make Tier 1 even weaker, and that's the opposite of what the concern is now of making people actually want to go Tier1 over Conspam and/or T2. Conspam gives better early game pressure and more AT utility, Tier 2 is more robust and gives better strategic flexibility (and Maxims are OP) Without Flamer Penals being so overpowered, and with Guards being nerfed, what reasons is there for players to want to go Tier1? The only real reason is the Sniper and better scaling of Penals compared to Conscripts.

• Whilst not necccesary buffing the anti tank of Soviets due to the heavy investment it requires, PTRS Penals give strategic flexibility to anti-tank in ways that all other factions have, since M42 will have the same counters and vulnerabilities as Ziss. In team games, Soviets can be in a very limiting spot late game if heavy Axis Tank destroyers nullify all their armour and Offmaps, Rocket Arty & Sturmtiger can constantly deny AT guns. With no infantry-based AT, Soviets have little options in these situations.

I watched your video and in the first part when you talk about why PTRS is a good solution, each argument can be used to justifie M-42 as well.

1. So you say M-42 and ZiS overlap but in the video you say that overlapping is not a problem and Penals+Guards won't overlap, huh? Well it overlaps with ZiS to a smaller extent than Penals and Guards. M-42 is way weaker but it's also more mobile and has way better RoF while PTRSes are excatly the same for Penals and Guards (in terms of AT).

2. Then make it scale by making vet ability which increases pen/damage/range + I belive I'm on of few with huge experience with M-42 (I played for months only with defensive tactics) and reaching 10k damage by single M-42 is not a problem.

3. How much more work it require to change M-42 for, let's say, PTRS Cons? How much time it takes to replace 2 ability slots? 5mins?

4. They also give feeling of blobbing and making only 1 type of unit against infantry and vehicles.
On the other hand M-42 gives what this game should be about - combined arms, not 1 unit with different upgrades.

5. How M-42 will make weaker T1 than PTRS? It's opposite. By upgrading PTRS you make your Penals very weak in terms of AI and very weak agasint late game tanks. From good AI you get something which is bad in both. M-42 gives you option to leave Penals without PTRS ergo they AI fully remain ergo you don't waste ammo and 1 squad just to keep at bay light vehicles which will turn in late game into useless unit.

6. Let's be honest. PTRS Penals are not AT infantry. They are here to keep at bay LVs, that's all and in late game they will be useless, unless you blob like 4 squads with PTRS.

By upgrading Penlas with PTRS you just make them useless, wasted pop cap. They will do the job by holding LVs but what's next? Third PTRS? Come on... It's like trying to make PTRS Penals great AT infantry by force becasue of lack of ideas. On the onther hand M-42 gives you option not to upgrade Penals, which won't be wasted pop in late game, combined arms, using different units, no blobbing and you still can use it in late game with some vet ability.
15 Dec 2016, 09:02 AM

• It's a boring overlap to just have a shitty version of the Ziss gun on Tier1, whether or not its got some gimicks to make it useful. PTRS Penals is a more unique approach that's completely different to the Ziss gun. This makes Tier1 actually feel unique instead of "It's Tier2 minus the Maxim." since you could argue that Sniper and Mortar fill a similar role. (dislodging and harassing static units)

If you don´t like m-42 coz is a shitty version of the ziss gun, maybe you won´t like PTRS penals as they are the shitty version of Guards, that came at only 2 CP.

• M42 won't scale into the late game where as PTRS Penals are mobile and still decent due to deflection damage. (Assuming that Penals can get a 3rd PTRS option later on in the game which we have coming for 1.3) If M42 gets deflection damage its then going to be the only AT gun in the game with deflection, where as all infantry-based AT weapons have deflection damage

rak is the only atgun that can garrison and retreat at this moment, and I don´t see a problem with that.Why m42 can´t be the only one with deflection damage??? we like asimetrical balance and combined arms....both are reasons to give m42 to tier1 and deflection damage to m-42

• It will require the commanders with M42 on it to have a new ability, which will be more work and would put it even more out of scope of the patch

you can leave the m42 on the commander without problems, modify the thing so it came as an M42 without crew and with prize reduction as you already have in other commanders (airbone gives you a t1 unit in the commander but without crew...same way should work for the m42).

• Having to build the M-42 instead of just upgrading PTRS to ward off light vehicles will make Tier 1 even weaker, and that's the opposite of what the concern is now of making people actually want to go Tier1 over Conspam and/or T2. Conspam gives better early game pressure and more AT utility, Tier 2 is more robust and gives better strategic flexibility (and Maxims are OP) Without Flamer Penals being so overpowered, and with Guards being nerfed, what reasons is there for players to want to go Tier1? The only real reason is the Sniper and better scaling of Penals compared to Conscripts.

sniper and penals are enough reasons to go SU tier1 if you think on others factions tier1 as OKW (only give you LEIG) or USF Tier1, with no AT except for the Zook in the m20 crews...

• Whilst not necccesary buffing the anti tank of Soviets due to the heavy investment it requires, PTRS Penals give strategic flexibility to anti-tank in ways that all other factions have, since M42 will have the same counters and vulnerabilities as Ziss. In team games, Soviets can be in a very limiting spot late game if heavy Axis Tank destroyers nullify all their armour and Offmaps, Rocket Arty & Sturmtiger can constantly deny AT guns. With no infantry-based AT, Soviets have little options in these situations.

m42 will fight LV and will help better AT tools to deal at least with mediums...

is not rocket Arty & sturmtiger hardconunter of HAT infantry???

15 Dec 2016, 09:19 AM

IMO, the M42 in T1 would suit much better than PTRS's on Penals, why? because PTRS on penals make them useless vs infantry in most cases and it would make them somewhat good vs very light vehicles, M42 could use some buff, for example raketen camo option
15 Dec 2016, 11:05 AM

Permanently Banned
Give shreks to penals :hansGASM:
15 Dec 2016, 11:34 AM

Give shreks to penals :hansGASM:

Give schreks to Engineers :hansGASM:

Lol wow, actually, PTRS on engineers suddenly doesn't seem like such a bad idea :D :D
15 Dec 2016, 11:49 AM

Give schreks to Engineers :hansGASM:

Lol wow, actually, PTRS on engineers suddenly doesn't seem like such a bad idea :D :D

At least it sounds better than wasted Penals squad :P

Oh, and TheMachine, I don't agree with you that Penals need upgrade (if we take away PTRS) becasue why? They are good on their own, they have some nice utility, they are different than Cons and they are good on their own without upgrades.
I would rather see for example single DP28 (so they don't overlap with Guards, as single DP is way inferior to Guards) which would make them quite good AI with M-42 backup. But that's just an idea.
15 Dec 2016, 12:51 PM

Because Penals are superior to Conscripts, especially scaling wise (on an individual basis, but Con spam is very strong), Sniper is incredibly good on open maps and M3 is a nice sniper counter as well as an excellent way of aggressively clearly MG's from garrisons with Flamers. Overall, it's a more aggressive playstyle than Tier 2 which relies on Support weapons. Without any anti-tank, Tier 1 would be prevented from realising that aggressive potential.

We are also working on some more anti infantry utility for Penals in v1.3 to make them more desirable and flexible without making them necessarily stronger.

Realistically, T1 isn't so attractive at the moment because of how OP maxims are currently, but Maxims will definitely be getting nerfed next patch (if we get that far) which will make Tier1 a bit more attractive.

Enlight me how you want to nerf maxims ? because if you nerf their depoyment time or supression the will turn into defensive weapon (that should be defensive weapon) but with their poor Arc of rife they are so hard to use defensively except in houses.

Hope you can both nerf their deploy rate and increase their firing cone - something like worse USA mg without AT rounds.

Also don´t forget about dushka whitch is even more OP than maxim because of her big damage - vaporising mg42s in seconds.

I believe you ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 22
Germany 850
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %