Login

russian armor

New Community Map Feedback Thread

1 Jan 2017, 06:15 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Dec 2016, 22:50 PMpigsoup
thanks for the reply. ofc i dont have too much live testing right now so i was brainstorming for the most part.

this map reminds me of (6) pavlov's house.

It's ok. You hit on things that we weren't sure about in testing, but it plays better this way, so this is what we went with.

Also pavlov's house I never played, but I went and google'd it real fast and it has the same visual theme, so I can see why you would say that just from glancing at it.
11 Jan 2017, 21:47 PM

I've found another problem in Lisorne River:

Infantry can't retreat (from north to south) through the bridge on the left, and instead of using the ford next to the bridge they run to the ford on the middle of the map to get back to the base.

Got a replay to show
11 Jan 2017, 22:07 PM

I guess the 2VP Pudding on Pripyat was alrdy mentioned before right? Just add a 3rd VP.. the rest of the new 2v2 maps are either fine or only have small issues imo
11 Jan 2017, 22:56 PM
Patrion 14

I guess the 2VP Pudding on Pripyat was alrdy mentioned before right? Just add a 3rd VP.. the rest of the new 2v2 maps are either fine or only have small issues imo

that is not constructive, tell us reasons why (however it might seem obvious) and maybe even tell us about the experience on the map +replays.
12 Jan 2017, 06:45 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

If you don't like the map veto it, there are plenty that like it just fine the way it is. And considering I already explained AND tested this map for about 6 months on and off stream... yah its not getting another VP, it was entirely designed around the two VP setup.

For example, if I were to add a 3rd VP directly between the two bases and the two existing VPs the entire map will be north favored, so it will require and entire restructuring of the entire map to improve pathing to account for the same travel times to all points, and on top of that the 3rd VP would be in the middle of an open, negative cover area, so in the end, it would be better off left alone. Especially since the vocal minority would love to bitch about any changes regardless, and there are plenty of people that enjoy the map the way it is.

12 Jan 2017, 06:46 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

I've found another problem in Lisorne River:

Infantry can't retreat (from north to south) through the bridge on the left, and instead of using the ford next to the river they run to the ford on the middle of the map to get back to the base.

Got a replay to show

I'll have to look at it with mono, ty for the heads up. I wish I would have been more involved with adapting this, but it all fell on mono due to loss of communication from relic and between ourselves. I'm sure he's already working on it right now. However I don't know when the fix will be uploaded. :(
12 Jan 2017, 08:54 AM

2v2 maps - Lisores River (I think that's what it's called) Just another artillery camp fest map with bunkers and MGs defending red cover, very very dull to play and gives allies a huge edge thanks to them having superior arty in general.

Pripyat sector - Only having 2 VPs almost always causes the match to stretch out and doesn't really pressure your opponents as much as they should. Also having only two VPs makes the match be two 1v1s on the other sides of the map, and only makes people work together when the other flank is secured.

The other two new 2v2 maps are fine

Just my general thoughts on the new maps
12 Jan 2017, 10:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 06:45 AMTric

If you don't like the map veto it, there are plenty that like it just fine the way it is. And considering I already explained AND tested this map for about 6 months on and off stream... yah its not getting another VP, it was entirely designed around the two VP setup.

For example, if I were to add a 3rd VP directly between the two bases and the two existing VPs the entire map will be north favored, so it will require and entire restructuring of the entire map to improve pathing to account for the same travel times to all points, and on top of that the 3rd VP would be in the middle of an open, negative cover area, so in the end, it would be better off left alone. Especially since the vocal minority would love to bitch about any changes regardless, and there are plenty of people that enjoy the map the way it is.

Wouldnt there be space for a 3rd VP if the map would become a bit bigger? If u look at the south player spawn, to the left cutoff, you can see that this road is a blind alley, dunno if that is a good idea. Overall are there very much blind alleys on the edges of the map, though these are blind alleys for tanks only. This could become solved too with bigger map size.

The huge problem of 2VP is that unequal games with a dominant team can take up to 1 hour, and equal matches can take up to 2 hours

^ Im not even joking and speaking out of experience :(
12 Jan 2017, 14:57 PM

Yeah 2 VPs generally breaks the balance of timing.

It's one of the reasons people dislike Langres in CoH2: it's really hard to get that 3rd VP, which makes matches drag. When there's not even a 3rd VP to contest the VP drain is always a pretty slow trickle.

I can say it's a map that is more tailored for a UKF and OKW matchup because both of those factions sorta steamroll into the lategame, which is usually guaranteed with such a slow or even static VP game.
12 Jan 2017, 23:26 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

And you all just described what the map was intended to do. If the game lasts over an hour.

Veto it if you don't like it, like I said, others enjoy it a ton and I'm not getting anything new out of it.

The map was designed to be "this side" and "that side", and when one is lost you move over and fight up a side together, it has a ying yang effect early on in the game and than splits down the map horizontally once each sides finds the rhythm. The long extended flanks with site blockers make for large decisive movements to get behind the enemy.

Also the VP tick is the same as 2-1 vps with 3 vps when you have both, the only reason it gets extended is when both sides hold one. And at one point or another somebody has to push, make a play. All ins.

If you don't like that play style slap a veto on it.
12 Jan 2017, 23:50 PM

Permanently Banned
Problem are that need more veto Kappa.
13 Jan 2017, 00:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2017, 23:26 PMTric
And you all just described what the map was intended to do. If the game lasts over an hour.

Veto it if you don't like it, like I said, others enjoy it a ton and I'm not getting anything new out of it.

The map was designed to be "this side" and "that side", and when one is lost you move over and fight up a side together, it has a ying yang effect early on in the game and than splits down the map horizontally once each sides finds the rhythm. The long extended flanks with site blockers make for large decisive movements to get behind the enemy.

Also the VP tick is the same as 2-1 vps with 3 vps when you have both, the only reason it gets extended is when both sides hold one. And at one point or another somebody has to push, make a play. All ins.

If you don't like that play style slap a veto on it.

Of course? There's nothing to dispute there.

But I will say the VP tick is 2-0. It's only the same as 2-1 when one of the VPs is neutral. With 3 VPs the VP tick usually only freezes as a result of territory trading hands. With 2 VPs the default state is frozen and trading 2-0 control. It's definitely a different pacing: a drain rate of mainly two and some zero versus mainly one and some three.

The map entails a lategame. Plan accordingly. :p
13 Jan 2017, 00:34 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Of course? There's nothing to dispute there.

But I will say the VP tick is 2-0. It's only the same as 2-1 when one of the VPs is neutral. With 3 VPs the VP tick usually only freezes as a result of territory trading hands. With 2 VPs the default state is frozen and trading 2-0 control. It's definitely a different pacing: a drain rate of mainly two and some zero versus mainly one and some three.

The map entails a lategame. Plan accordingly. :p

This.
13 Jan 2017, 09:21 AM

Ok fine, I guess I cant argue your veto argument. But pls let me tell you one more thing: since the fuel depot is next to HQ and kinda impossible to cap for the enemy, early agressiveness isnt paying off at all on this map.

The smartest thing to do is just to play campy and static af (for example in front of a VP) until you can spam a ton of tanks and arty to annihilate the enemy with an all in push. And I really feel more and more players on this map realize that <444>_<444>

Feels4v4Man
13 Jan 2017, 11:43 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Ok fine, I guess I cant argue your veto argument. But pls let me tell you one more thing: since the fuel depot is next to HQ and kinda impossible to cap for the enemy, early agressiveness isnt paying off at all on this map.

The smartest thing to do is just to play campy and static af (for example in front of a VP) until you can spam a ton of tanks and arty to annihilate the enemy with an all in push. And I really feel more and more players on this map realize that <444>_<444>

Feels4v4Man

The fuel was tested in other areas, and ultimately this was the best fit, this is in large due to the two VP mechanic.

Imagine if the fuels were on the far ends of the VP's in the middle, they would be contested more and more, but this would lead to slower teching and ultimately much longer games if teams were aggressively decapping one another.

However there is the argument that this could lead to "faster" games if one team managed to hold both fuel for any real amount of time, however this was not what was happening on average unless there was a large skill gap between the teams, so overall, moving the fuels to more aggressive places, typically prolonged games even more.

I can see what can be done further down the road, but currently kyle barely responds to anyone, so I don't know if we are even going to have an opportunity to fix any issues on the maps or when it might be.
15 Jan 2017, 20:19 PM

I am still looking for some good ideas to improve Halbe. As I mentioned before, it was never supposed to be a conventional map, exspecially not for ranked games.
So I fully understand why several people don´t like it.

But the highway will remain the main feature of the map. Which doesn´t mean I can´t improve a few things. Here is the current plan. I am planning to create some safe passages, where you can cross the Autobahn without cover penalties, exspecially near the VPs and fuel points. And what do you think about additional cover on the highway?

15 Jan 2017, 20:25 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

I am still looking for some good ideas to improve Halbe. As I mentioned before, it was never supposed to be a conventional map, exspecially not for ranked games.
So I fully understand why several people don´t like it.

But the highway will remain the main feature of the map. Which doesn´t mean I can´t improve a few things. Here is the current plan. I am planning to create some safe passages, where you can cross the Autobahn without cover penalties, exspecially near the VPs and fuel points. And what do you think about additional cover on the highway?

Craters take priority over the roads negative cover effect, so you don't have to use more items and create cluster or pathing issues if you desire more cover.

This way you don't have to redo much if anything, just rescaling some craters to cover those sections, this will lead to a less confusing scenario of undoing the negative cover along those portions.
15 Jan 2017, 20:28 PM

Permanently Banned
Its can be green covers zone, its can be craters, its can be broken part of planes,cars and another.
15 Jan 2017, 20:31 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Its can be green covers zone, its can be craters, its can be broken part of planes,cars and another.

You want pathing issues due to green cover all being medium crush and up? The increased move speed of the road will fuck up light vehicles, and then introducing anything above medium crush will make pathing horrendous.

The best solution is craters to maintain the "free" pathing the map currently uses along the middle area.
15 Jan 2017, 20:46 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2017, 20:31 PMTric

You want pathing issues due to green cover all being medium crush and up? The increased move speed of the road will fuck up light vehicles, and then introducing anything above medium crush will make pathing horrendous.

The best solution is craters to maintain the "free" pathing the map currently uses along the middle area.

Pathing ? Do you think about pathing at Market map :).
Road are big at map, so its can be, but need wait to see new version. Now light vehicles play in the map are too good.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★