Login

russian armor

New Community Map Feedback Thread

9 Nov 2016, 19:55 PM
Patrion 14

This thread is specifically for commenting on the new maps added to the 1v1 map pool from most recent Tric's Map Making contest. The point of this thread is to help Relic add fixes to these maps for the next patch.

This thread will be moderated more harshly and any posts derailing the thread and other posts referring to that post will be invised. Any non constructive replies will also be invised. To be constructive, be specific down to every detail.- i.e. "Market Ruins is imba for OST" is not constructive. To be constructive, you have to not only name the map and the faction but also write why, details including specific units, strategies and specifics within the map i.e. 'high bush shotblockers' 'building by the western cutoff' etc etc.

Thanks and let us improve the maps together.

Map List (2):
  • Market Ruins
  • Caen
  • Bombarded Refinery
  • Rustungswerke Essen
  • Bryansk Forest
  • Westwall

Newly Added Map Lists:
  • (2)Halbe
  • (4)Lisores River
  • (4)Prypiyat Sector
  • (4)Schilberg Outskirts
  • (4)Elst Outskirts
9 Nov 2016, 20:17 PM

Market Ruins:

Quite fun map but it does not leave space for flanking imo. It's mostly about frontal pushes. It's good that there is map like this but sometimes when you know you can't win by pushing forward, you need to flank - really hard on this map. 3 SU76 can shoot down any vehicle play without reasonable chances to flank.

Weswall:

Probably best map. It has wide sectors as well as a bit cluster one. Overall really good one.

Essen:

Deadly map for Ost, blessing for USF and SU.
Critical palces on map favour SU/USF infantry and fast light vehicles.
Ostheer infantry is helpless very often. Too closed, to many vision blockers in most important places.
Tho there are places for flanks (but easily defended by one mine).

Refinery:

Bit more opened than Essen but Ost suffers from the same thing. Thight, closed, favouring USF/SU infantry and light vehicles. Plenty of obstacles/narrow roads make turret-less vehicles way less desired, hard to use AT Gun becasue except clean lines of street, if you want to use full arc of fire, you need to move forward and expose AT Gun.

Caen - really good map. City map like above but with way better balance for all kinds of infantry.

Forest - haven't played yet.
9 Nov 2016, 20:55 PM
Strategist Badge

I don't think i have enough experience with some of the maps to comment, however:

Market Ruins, I believe this map would be more enjoyable and more balanced if there was a narrow (only infantry and team weapons can move though) passage from one street to the other. This would allow a flanking rout and an escape rout for infantry. It also fits the theme of the map as many dense city areas have narrow alleyways.
9 Nov 2016, 23:30 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

I don't think i have enough experience with some of the maps to comment, however:

Market Ruins, I believe this map would be more enjoyable and more balanced if there was a narrow (only infantry and team weapons can move though) passage from one street to the other. This would allow a flanking rout and an escape rout for infantry. It also fits the theme of the map as many dense city areas have narrow alleyways.

Already being worked on / planned. Will be streaming it tomorrow, refinery also went through changes as well.
10 Nov 2016, 14:35 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Market Ruins suggestions:
10 Nov 2016, 16:08 PM

All I can say is that the maps are super pretty, and in one of my games the elevation on Westwall made AT guns feel redundant, but besides that it's a really good map.
10 Nov 2016, 18:50 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2016, 14:35 PMcapiqua
Market Ruins suggestions:

Finally someone who pointed out all the flaws that were missed/ suggested after the submission period!

The only thing with moving the vps vertically is that they will cause more camping, which is not ideal, from testing having them grouped in the north caused larger flanks out of the base and contested the fuel cutoff more. That's the only thing not changing, other than that we are good, all of of this was planned but I had to go the last week of submissions to help my grandparents, so I missed out a lot of work on refinery and market, that was planned adjustments.

Thanks for the screens as well. Makes it much easier to see that we were thinking the same things.
10 Nov 2016, 20:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Nov 2016, 18:50 PMTric

Finally someone who pointed out all the flaws that were missed/ suggested after the submission period!

The only thing with moving the vps vertically is that they will cause more camping, which is not ideal, from testing having them grouped in the north caused larger flanks out of the base and contested the fuel cutoff more. That's the only thing not changing, other than that we are good, all of of this was planned but I had to go the last week of submissions to help my grandparents, so I missed out a lot of work on refinery and market, that was planned adjustments.

Thanks for the screens as well. Makes it much easier to see that we were thinking the same things.

Please be gentle with the map. My baby must not be harmed!
10 Nov 2016, 21:05 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Ill keep this copy just for you bb.
nee
11 Nov 2016, 01:53 AM

Screw that, ima play it rough!
11 Nov 2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Caen suggestions:
13 Nov 2016, 11:52 AM
Developer Relic Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Nov 2016, 08:24 AMcapiqua
Caen suggestions:

Excellent finds, capiqua. Very many thanks!

I've identified a few of these problems already, but the majority are being implemented now!

Thanks again! Keep it up!
14 Nov 2016, 11:42 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Rüstungswerke Essen suggestions:

14 Nov 2016, 14:30 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Solide points! Thx. I will definitely adjust your suggestions.
15 Nov 2016, 09:50 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Bryansk Forest suggestions:

17 Nov 2016, 09:15 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Westwall suggestions:
17 Nov 2016, 11:46 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Hm. I like most of the suggestion but i wont change the dragon teeth line.
They can be passed with light vehicles. There are passages for big vehicles. It is a risk to push with the vehicles over the best line of defense.
18 Nov 2016, 11:47 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

Bombarded suggestions:

18 Nov 2016, 13:48 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Nov 2016, 11:47 AMcapiqua
Bombarded suggestions:

At first look the pipes all seem random, but they are actually part of how the map performs. Blocking those medium crushways opens a dynamic to the map that to me, is fun and interesting. The reason for this is that the only way we get movement blockers of medium crush or more is that they are ALL heavy cover and half additionally block sight, these are all yellow cover and allow you to see through, which is a mechanic we don't widely see if it all.

You suggested opening up paths, almost all of these were touched on (outside the VP ones) and additionally the east base pathing was opened up more, and the "forever" sight blockers (fuel containers and the large fuel barrel pile) around the middle VP were removed, as it was not clear at the late stages of the map when the entity's were destroyed that they still blocked site.

Also there is another additional medium crush "pass" into the middle plaza area from the west and east building rows, this is to keep indirect fire to being effective, but offering another way for it to be attacked outside of just along the road, this will also give savvy players another opportunity to flank later on with their tanks into the back lines of the opponent.

Thanks for the feedback :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS