Login

russian armor

[Mod] Commander Rework

20 Oct 2016, 17:20 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Since the "Lack of viable commanders for Soviet & Wehrmacht" came up pretty high in Relic's balance poll, I decided to do some shameless advertising for a mod of mine. It started as a rework of the very terrible Soviet Defensive Tactics back in February, and I have since added many other Commanders that I felt were severely underperforming.

I would like to stress that this mod is, in its current state, not balanced at all, and I don't think I'm a skilled enough player to have a valid opinion on game balance. Instead, the mod is intended to be a collection of ideas made playable in order to evaluate their potential.

I appreciate constructive criticism, but please actually test a commander before complaining about it. Suggestions are also welcome, of course!

The mod is available on the Workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635567216

You can also view and download the source files on GitHub:
https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/CommanderRework
Feel free to copy my changes for your own mods, as long as you give me credit.

Currently included:

Soviets: Defensive Tactics

Soviets: Urban Defense Tactics

Soviets: NKVD Rifle Disruption Tactics

Soviets: Tank Hunter Tactics

Soviets: Conscript Support Tactics

Wehrmacht: German Infantry Doctrine

Wehrmacht: Jaeger Infantry Doctrine

Wehrmacht: Elite Troops Doctrine

Wehrmacht: Defensive Doctrine

Wehrmacht: German Mechanized Doctrine

USF: Mechanized Company

USF: Recon Support Company

Please note that you can only see the changes once you're in a match, not in the lobby or loading screen. When several commanders share a unit, all of them receive the changes, regardless of whether I listed the commander or not. For example, I buffed the KV-1 and added it to Defensive Tactics, so it will have the same buffs in Counterattack Tactics.
21 Oct 2016, 10:28 AM

RIP tiger ace !!
21 Oct 2016, 13:12 PM

All of the doctrines look good now. The main issue with most of the doctrines in the live game is that, even when the doctrine comes with unique units abilities, they lack a coherent identity. E.g., what is supposed to be the preferred playstyle of UKF Tactical Support (except free recon and artillery cover spam).

<444>3:
- Zis truck (though, it would be nice with Sturmpioneer-like medkit crates)
- Commissar
- The entire tank hunter doctrine
- Opel Blitz Ambulance

RIP:
- Recon paratroopers :(
- Hull down :(((
- USF reinforcement HT :((((((

PS:
1. Forward observers: It might be best to copy-paste the Tommy version of increased sight (vet1, under their cover bonus), than to rely on USF forward observers. The latter feels a bit wonky.
2. Elite Troops could use the King Tiger instead of Tiger I, if you want to keep it unique, without it being cheesy (I've seen the KT idea used in many mods already)
3. Unless Marksman flares also reveal camouflage, he will get picked off by the sniper quite easily :(
4. Is there anything special that the KV-1 can do animations-wise?
- Carrying troops?
- Throwing grenades?
- Smoke?
- Hull Down?
- Make it shot/sight-blocking?

Rather than leave the KV-1 as an ability-less block of HP, we might be able to at least impart it with some swag points. (No; auras don't count!)
21 Oct 2016, 14:41 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

RIP tiger ace !!

Don't worry. I have a King Tiger Ace included in another mod I'm working on :megusta:

All of the doctrines look good now. The main issue with most of the doctrines in the live game is that, even when the doctrine comes with unique units abilities, they lack a coherent identity. E.g., what is supposed to be the preferred playstyle of UKF Tactical Support (except free recon and artillery cover spam).

I agree! A (somewhat) coherent identity is exactly what I tried to give the commanders. With an empty buzzword like "Tactical Support", it's a bit difficult to think of something, though! Also, as I'm working on a complete overhaul for the Brits, I'm a bit hesitant to include some of their commanders in this mod.

- Zis truck (though, it would be nice with Sturmpioneer-like medkit crates)

Great idea! I'll add it in the next update. I didn't want to add an ambulance to a doctrine that supports Con spam, but single medpacks that cost ammo should be fine!

RIP:
- Recon paratroopers :(
- Hull down :(((
- USF reinforcement HT :((((((

I wanted to get rid of the half-assed Airborne theme for the Recon Support Company. Instead, I plan on making Airborne Company more attractive by letting Pathfinders spawn from ambient buildings and enabling them to call for MG/Mortar/ATG drops to free up space for one or two new abilities.
Do people actually use Hull Down? I'm not really opposed to including it in Defensive Doctrine, but I'm not sure which other ability to remove.
The USF M3 halftrack was... just bad. And with reinforcement available from the ambulance and the WC51 making for a decent clown car, I didn't quite know what else to use it for!

PS:
1. Forward observers: It might be best to copy-paste the Tommy version of increased sight (vet1, under their cover bonus), than to rely on USF forward observers. The latter feels a bit wonky.
2. Elite Troops could use the King Tiger instead of Tiger I, if you want to keep it unique, without it being cheesy (I've seen the KT idea used in many mods already)
3. Unless Marksman flares also reveal camouflage, he will get picked off by the sniper quite easily :(
4. Is there anything special that the KV-1 can do animations-wise?
- Carrying troops?
- Throwing grenades?
- Smoke?
- Hull Down?
- Make it shot/sight-blocking?

Rather than leave the KV-1 as an ability-less block of HP, we might be able to at least impart it with some swag points. (No; auras don't count!)

1. I had a quick look and USF Forward Observers is indeed implemented somewhat strangely. I replaced it with a custom ability and will give that some testing.
2. Good idea - I'll include that in the next update!
3. It's a copy of the Soviet Sniper's flare, so it doesn't. I'll change that! I'm not quite sure about the unit itself though. It's intended to be used for countersniping, but that might not go so well without camouflage. Definitely needs testing!
4. It doesn't have any special animation states, which makes it difficult to add something unique. I could try to enable carrying troops, but it's probably gonna look pretty bad, if it works at all. In its current state, it's supposed to be a slow, but cost-efficient meatshield that's effective against infantry and medium tanks. Any ideas for special abilities?

Thanks for the great feedback!
22 Oct 2016, 04:17 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Tank Hunters Salvage Kits
Engineer Salvage Kits were the core of this doctrine: as long as you destroyed an enemy vehicle and could salvage it, you got amazing rewards. 100MU for a Kubel, (not sure of the exact values) 250MP 50FU for light and medium armor is insane. This is what keeps you in the fight long enough to gain a tech advantage and build a massive T-34/76 horde. I suggest that you keep the upgrade, make it come a bit earlier, and combine it with the PMD-6M mines.

G43 Package
I did some testing with a friend. The PGren G43s are not an upgrade, nor a downgrade, so essentially all you get is interrogation. I suggest giving them JLI G43s (the ones with 75% HP kill crit). This way, it's not a no-brainer sheer buff like Gren G43s, but a trade off: you gain incredible long-mid range defensive firepower (standing still behind Green Cover) but trade the offensive firepower (when you can charge at LMG squads to get up close and personal).

Elite Troops Tiger Ace
I had this idea that you kept the Tiger Ace, made it cost 800MP 280FU, but had no resource penalty. While it would have the stock stats of a Vet 3 Tiger, it would have 3 additional levels of Veterancy, which provided utility. This would keep it unique, but not cheesy (as it is), and not overpowered either (as it can, but shouldn't be).
- For example, Vet 1 would give it a timed self-repair (60MU, duration 30 seconds, disables weapons and movement, removes all crits and restores 320HP), Vet 2 wold give it OKW HEAT shells, Vet 3 would give it KT Spearhead Mode.

KV-1
To better serve as a meatshield tank, increase it's HP to 960, and give it "Lock Down" like CoH1 PE Panzer IVs. Trades mobility for rate of fire, which would allow it to win battles with Axis medium armor (apart from the (underpowered) Panther) via sheer DPM. The ability should also increase burst length and accuracy of it's two MGs. This would make it a "rock for the enemy to break upon."

Mechanized Company
- I removed Recon (very redundant) and gave them a timed "Vehicle Assault" ability that allowed vehicles to move faster and cap territory. 30 seconds, +50% speed and acc/deceleration, caps territory at normal speed. I feel that it would fit better with the "mobile, aggressive" theme of the doctrine.
- Also, I think the P-47 strafe is a bit too much for the Sherman Command Tank. An aura buff for nearby units is already huge. Also, I think reducing reload time would be a better idea than increasing accuracy, as main guns' accuracy is mainly reliant on scatter.

Recon Support
- I made Forward Observers an upgrade for Riflemen. It costs 30MU, but permanently increase their line-of-sight, and allows them to "Deploy Marksman", sniping a model at a maximum of 40 range for 30MU. A "surprise" counter-snipe.
- I'd argue to keep the I&R Pathfinders, since they are something unique to the doctrine. Just decrease the cost of their artillery strike, and give them extra utility. Personally, I'd add Smoke Barrages (free or cheap), and Binoculars Mode (disables weapons, SU-85 cone vision).
- I'd also trade the repetitive 155mm Artillery Barrage with something new. Remember the Precision Artillery Strike for Fox Company from Ardennes Assault? I went on with that idea and gave them an "M1 203mm "Black Dragon" Precision Artillery Strike." Essentially a WM Railway Arty, but with only 1 shell, and no smoke, just a sound. Costs 150MU. It stays with the "Spot and Smash" theme of the commander.

Also, please, no more Forward Retreat Points. Makes blobbing all the worse.

Other than that, your mod is great! I hope you touch up some other commanders as well!

A couple ideas:
- German "Mechanized Grenader/Pangergrenadier Groups" (Sdkfz. 250): cost adjustment. After all, it's just a mobile garrison.
- Opel Blitz: it's just a bit too redundant as it is right now. Extra abilities?
- USF Airborne: weapon drops cost adjustments.
- Commando Regiment: Assault (possibly make it apply to all infantry), Commando Gilder Insertion (cost decrease)
- Royal Engineers: Command Vehicle (no free recon), Anti-Building Flame Mortar Support (turn it into an incendiary artillery barrage, because right now it's almost completely useless, since it doesn't fire anything)
- Royal Artillery: Early Warning (cost adjustment), Concentration Barrage (cost adjustment or performance increase (i.e. perhaps allow Sextons and 25-prds to ignore cooldown and fire 3 shells at the target) Valentine (I feel firespark's idea is great, remove Sexton Barrage), Sexton (make it cheaper, and take up less popcap), Perimeter Overwatch (currently it's exceptionally useless, since you just can't spot anything quickly enough. Maybe a Sector Arty for all frontline territories?)
- UKF Tactical Support Forward Observation Post: I have never seen this built, ever. Must be a reason.
- Crocodile: Mr. Smith's QoL Mod fixes this nicely
1 Nov 2016, 20:27 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Sorry about the late response! I appreciate the feedback.

Tank Hunters Salvage Kits
Engineer Salvage Kits were the core of this doctrine: as long as you destroyed an enemy vehicle and could salvage it, you got amazing rewards. 100MU for a Kubel, (not sure of the exact values) 250MP 50FU for light and medium armor is insane. This is what keeps you in the fight long enough to gain a tech advantage and build a massive T-34/76 horde. I suggest that you keep the upgrade, make it come a bit earlier, and combine it with the PMD-6M mines.

I disagree. The vanilla salvage kits give way too many resources (although somewhat inconsistently), while the rest of the commander was pretty mediocre. My new ability is easier to use and its purpose is to reliably provide Munitions, for example to make stock Soviet armor more effective against Axis armor via Improved Ammunition.

G43 Package
I did some testing with a friend. The PGren G43s are not an upgrade, nor a downgrade, so essentially all you get is interrogation. I suggest giving them JLI G43s (the ones with 75% HP kill crit). This way, it's not a no-brainer sheer buff like Gren G43s, but a trade off: you gain incredible long-mid range defensive firepower (standing still behind Green Cover) but trade the offensive firepower (when you can charge at LMG squads to get up close and personal).

It's true that the current G43 package doesn't add much value to PGrens, but Ostheer doesn't really need another long-range squad, if you ask me. I'll have to think about what to do with them!

Elite Troops Tiger Ace
I had this idea that you kept the Tiger Ace, made it cost 800MP 280FU, but had no resource penalty. While it would have the stock stats of a Vet 3 Tiger, it would have 3 additional levels of Veterancy, which provided utility. This would keep it unique, but not cheesy (as it is), and not overpowered either (as it can, but shouldn't be).
- For example, Vet 1 would give it a timed self-repair (60MU, duration 30 seconds, disables weapons and movement, removes all crits and restores 320HP), Vet 2 wold give it OKW HEAT shells, Vet 3 would give it KT Spearhead Mode.

The Tiger Ace literally is a Tiger that comes with Vet 3 and +240HP, so adding special abilities would simply make it even stronger! I like Mr.Smith's idea to replace it with a KT, though.

KV-1
To better serve as a meatshield tank, increase it's HP to 960, and give it "Lock Down" like CoH1 PE Panzer IVs. Trades mobility for rate of fire, which would allow it to win battles with Axis medium armor (apart from the (underpowered) Panther) via sheer DPM. The ability should also increase burst length and accuracy of it's two MGs. This would make it a "rock for the enemy to break upon."

I already gave the KV-1 960HP and an armor value of 270, so it's pretty close to a Tiger in terms of survivability (300 armor and 1040HP). For that reason, it's already pretty damn good against P4s and StuGs. Lock down is a good idea, but it might have to come with a price increase!

Mechanized Company
- I removed Recon (very redundant) and gave them a timed "Vehicle Assault" ability that allowed vehicles to move faster and cap territory. 30 seconds, +50% speed and acc/deceleration, caps territory at normal speed. I feel that it would fit better with the "mobile, aggressive" theme of the doctrine.
- Also, I think the P-47 strafe is a bit too much for the Sherman Command Tank. An aura buff for nearby units is already huge. Also, I think reducing reload time would be a better idea than increasing accuracy, as main guns' accuracy is mainly reliant on scatter.

The Major's recon is not very good, so I don't feel the recon ability is redundant. As far as I know, it can't be shot down by AA, but I'll have to check that.
I played around with the value of the P-47 strafe a lot, so it might be way too strong. I'll give it some testing! The accuracy buff almost exclusively helps against enemy vehicles, which is intended. Reducing reload is already provided by Radio Net, and further buffs might lead to lots of infantry wipes!

Recon Support
- I made Forward Observers an upgrade for Riflemen. It costs 30MU, but permanently increase their line-of-sight, and allows them to "Deploy Marksman", sniping a model at a maximum of 40 range for 30MU. A "surprise" counter-snipe.
- I'd argue to keep the I&R Pathfinders, since they are something unique to the doctrine. Just decrease the cost of their artillery strike, and give them extra utility. Personally, I'd add Smoke Barrages (free or cheap), and Binoculars Mode (disables weapons, SU-85 cone vision).
- I'd also trade the repetitive 155mm Artillery Barrage with something new. Remember the Precision Artillery Strike for Fox Company from Ardennes Assault? I went on with that idea and gave them an "M1 203mm "Black Dragon" Precision Artillery Strike." Essentially a WM Railway Arty, but with only 1 shell, and no smoke, just a sound. Costs 150MU. It stays with the "Spot and Smash" theme of the commander.

With a permanent sight buff, Riflemen might steamroll over Axis MGs even more, especially with their long-range smoke grenades. The Sniper ability sounds nice, though, and I'm thinking of giving it to Pathfinders from Airborne Company, along with letting them deploy from buildings. Giving them a smoke barrage would also be possible, but then again, USF already has lots of smoke. I'll think about it!
The I&R Pathfinders were literally only good for their artillery strike (which is now included as a direct commander ability) and for giving them double BARs; I don't really like them.

Also, please, no more Forward Retreat Points. Makes blobbing all the worse.

I agree that FRPs are not very good for the game, but since it's unlikely that Relic will remove them entirely, I prefer all factions having access to them. I do try not to make them too easily available, though.

Other than that, your mod is great! I hope you touch up some other commanders as well!

A couple ideas:
- German "Mechanized Grenader/Pangergrenadier Groups" (Sdkfz. 250): cost adjustment. After all, it's just a mobile garrison.
- Opel Blitz: it's just a bit too redundant as it is right now. Extra abilities?
- USF Airborne: weapon drops cost adjustments.
- Commando Regiment: Assault (possibly make it apply to all infantry), Commando Gilder Insertion (cost decrease)
- Royal Engineers: Command Vehicle (no free recon), Anti-Building Flame Mortar Support (turn it into an incendiary artillery barrage, because right now it's almost completely useless, since it doesn't fire anything)
- Royal Artillery: Early Warning (cost adjustment), Concentration Barrage (cost adjustment or performance increase (i.e. perhaps allow Sextons and 25-prds to ignore cooldown and fire 3 shells at the target) Valentine (I feel firespark's idea is great, remove Sexton Barrage), Sexton (make it cheaper, and take up less popcap), Perimeter Overwatch (currently it's exceptionally useless, since you just can't spot anything quickly enough. Maybe a Sector Arty for all frontline territories?)
- UKF Tactical Support Forward Observation Post: I have never seen this built, ever. Must be a reason.
- Crocodile: Mr. Smith's QoL Mod fixes this nicely

Thanks!
I actually replaced the Mechanized Groups by a much cheaper, empty Sd.Kfz. 250 that now has an MG and veterancy, so it's actually useful. Coming up in the next patch, probably this evening!
The Opel Blitz is pretty much a clone of the USF ambulance. What did you have in mind? Another troop transport is probably not needed, and not many people use those anyway.

USF Airborne will get a complete rework. Here's what I had in mind:
- Pathfinders that can spawn from buildings and call for MG/Mortar/ATG drops.
- Paratroopers might get a small buff, but they're mostly fine, I think.
- Resource Drop as seen on Ostheer commanders.
- P-47 MG strafe similar to the one in Tactical Support Company.
- The P-47 rocket loiter might be turned into a strafe as well, but I'm not sure yet!

I don't like the British faction at all, therefore I don't play them a lot. For that reason, I'm also working on another mod that completely reworks them (makes them quite similar to Ostheer, actually), so I might not bother with including some of their commanders here. Never say never, though!
1 Nov 2016, 21:37 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Just pushed an update!

German Mechanized Doctrine added:

0CP: Sd.Kfz. 250/1
Comes without a squad of Grenadiers. Now has an MG42 with the stats from the larger Sd.Kfz. 251/1 halftrack. Cost, health, armor, movement and veterancy copied from the Soviet M3A1. (Also available in Mechanized Assault Doctrine!)
1CP: Sd.Kfz. 223 Command Car
Costs 250MP/20Fu. This is a 222 with an MG42 instead of the 20mm gun; DPS is similar to the USF M20. It can throw smoke grenades as well as capture and lock down territory. The lockdown is improved with each rank of veterancy; the unit itself does not get better.
2CP: Withdraw and Refit
Copied from USF. Vehicles can be retreated from the battlefield to get some resources back.
5CP: Spotting Scopes
These are also available on the new vehicles in this commander.
9CP: StuH 42
This is basically a leFH 18 howitzer strapped to a StuG III. It performs similar to the Brummbär, so it's very effective against infantry blobs. Can be upgraded with an MG42 and Spotting Scope and gets a long-range artillery barrage at Vet 1.

Other changes:

Tiger in Elite Troops Doctrine replaced with King Tiger.
Mechanized Assault Group in Mechanized Assault Doctrine replaced with Sd.Kfz. 250/1, as seen in German Mechanized Doctrine.
The Soviet ZiS-6 truck (included in Concript Support Tactics) can now drop boxes of medical supplies.
The flare fired by the USF Marksman (and the Soviet Sniper) now detects camouflaged enemy units.
Conscript Spotters should work more consistently now. (If feedback is positive, I can include the fix for USF Riflemen as well.)
Grenadiers will now go prone when firing the PzB 39. (That thing is pretty heavy!)
2 Nov 2016, 14:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The Tiger Ace literally is a Tiger that comes with Vet 3 and +240HP, so adding special abilities would simply make it even stronger! I like Mr.Smith's idea to replace it with a KT, though.

I would say it's current issue is that it's 800MP call-in is cheesy. Making it the most expensive heavy tank that already comes out the latest would justify it being so powerful. Plus, it rewards unit preservation, as many people just trade away their Tiger Ace (especially due to its resource penalty).

However, the KT is also a great idea!

With a permanent sight buff, Riflemen might steamroll over Axis MGs even more, especially with their long-range smoke grenades. The Sniper ability sounds nice, though, and I'm thinking of giving it to Pathfinders from Airborne Company, along with letting them deploy from buildings.

With just 40 (up from 35) Line-of-Sight, I don't think this should be an issue.

Giving an active sniping ability to the Pathfinders just like in Ardennes Assault is decent, but it feels redundant as they can already do that (albeit passively). Since you removed Pathfinders completely from this doctrine, and as Mr. Smith said an uncloaked Marksman might die quickly in sniper-vs-sniper engagements, I think it should work out.

The Opel Blitz is pretty much a clone of the USF ambulance. What did you have in mind? Another troop transport is probably not needed, and not many people use those anyway.

I was referring to the ones in Assault Support.

USF Airborne will get a complete rework. Here's what I had in mind:
- Pathfinders that can spawn from buildings and call for MG/Mortar/ATG drops.
- Paratroopers might get a small buff, but they're mostly fine, I think.
- Resource Drop as seen on Ostheer commanders.
- P-47 MG strafe similar to the one in Tactical Support Company.
- The P-47 rocket loiter might be turned into a strafe as well, but I'm not sure yet!

Wehrmacht: German Mechanized Doctrine
0CP: Sd.Kfz. 250/1
Comes without a squad of Grenadiers. Now has an MG42 with the stats from the larger Sd.Kfz. 251/1 halftrack. Cost, health, armor, movement and veterancy copied from the Soviet M3A1. (Also available in Mechanized Assault Doctrine!)

1CP: Sd.Kfz. 223 Command Car
Costs 250MP/20Fu. This is a 222 with an MG42 instead of the 20mm gun; DPS is similar to the USF M20. It can throw smoke grenades as well as capture and lock down territory. The lockdown is improved with each rank of veterancy; the unit itself does not get better.

2CP: Withdraw and Refit
Copied from USF. Vehicles can be retreated from the battlefield to get some resources back.

5CP: Spotting Scopes
These are also available on the new vehicles in this commander.

9CP: StuH 42
This is basically a leFH 18 howitzer strapped to a StuG III. It performs similar to the Brummbär, so it's very effective against infantry blobs. Can be upgraded with an MG42 and Spotting Scope and gets a long-range artillery barrage at Vet 1.

Wow, this makes the doctrine much stronger. Two thumbs up!

I don't like the British faction at all, therefore I don't play them a lot. For that reason, I'm also working on another mod that completely reworks them (makes them quite similar to Ostheer, actually), so I might not bother with including some of their commanders here. Never say never, though!

I don't really understand how to play British all that well, because I am an extremely (sometimes overly) aggressive player, and I tend to fail with them that way. However, if you were re-working the Brits, Vipper's rework (posted in the official forum) is an incredible idea and decent starting point.

Edit: Is it okay if I PM you a list of my ideas?
3 Nov 2016, 10:26 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Nice mod idea for Relic copy and paste.
3 Nov 2016, 15:19 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2016, 10:26 AMnigo
Nice mod idea for Relic copy and paste.

I'll take that as a compliment :D Honestly, I would love to see any of this included in the game. Doesn't even have to be a complete commander, although that would be awesome.

With just 40 (up from 35) Line-of-Sight, I don't think this should be an issue.

Giving an active sniping ability to the Pathfinders just like in Ardennes Assault is decent, but it feels redundant as they can already do that (albeit passively). Since you removed Pathfinders completely from this doctrine, and as Mr. Smith said an uncloaked Marksman might die quickly in sniper-vs-sniper engagements, I think it should work out.

I'll have to play Airborne Company some more before starting to make changes. But you're right, having both passive sniping and an ability would be redundant.
The Marksman also definitely needs some work - I might give him camouflage after all.

I was referring to the ones in Assault Support.

Oh, I didn't realize that - sorry :D The supply truck is generally not that useful, because you could just build caches instead. Replacing it with the ambulance might be an option. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do with it. It is in one of the better commander as well.

I don't really understand how to play British all that well, because I am an extremely (sometimes overly) aggressive player, and I tend to fail with them that way. However, if you were re-working the Brits, Vipper's rework (posted in the official forum) is an incredible idea and decent starting point.

I had a look at his idea and while it does seem interesting, it's quite different to what I had in mind. My British faction uses the same proven teching system that Ostheer does, giving them a large selection of strong core units that can deal with any enemy strategy, while removing all the cheese:

- no cover bonuses forcing static infantry play
- no messing with squad sizes
- no weapon racks; squad upgrades instead
- no crutch units that perform too well for their cost (REs, Cromwell)
- no emplacements
- no commander abilities doing five things at once
- no free stuff (Recon, Emergency War Speed, tracking through the FoW, tank grenades)

That's not something for this thread, though. If you're interested, you can get the prototype here:
https://github.com/PlanetSmasherCOH/BritishArmy
Put the BritishArmy.sga in documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\tuning.

Edit: Is it okay if I PM you a list of my ideas?

Sure, please do! No guarantees on whether I implement them, though :D

3 Nov 2016, 16:20 PM

Hello again Planet Smasher, how did you go about modifying the Commander abilities? Did you clone the Tiger call_in and just replace the UI elements and squad it calls in?

For OKW support commanders I'm wanting to give them the SturmTiger over the KT, but I wasn't sure if changing the UI Icon would affect the in-game commander's CP abilities.
3 Nov 2016, 17:43 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2016, 16:20 PMArtigo
Hello again Planet Smasher, how did you go about modifying the Commander abilities? Did you clone the Tiger call_in and just replace the UI elements and squad it calls in?

For OKW support commanders I'm wanting to give them the SturmTiger over the KT, but I wasn't sure if changing the UI Icon would affect the in-game commander's CP abilities.

I made a new thread for that: https://www.coh2.org/topic/57379/modding-commander-abilities

Got a small update incoming, consisting of some changes to (and fixes for) German Mechanized Doctrine.

StuH 42: I wanted to distinguish it from the Brummbär a little more and give it a unique role. It can now provide fire support from longer range, but is less effective in a direct engagement and pretty helpless if left unprotected and flanked.

Cost increased from 340/120 to 380/140.
Range increased from 40 to 60.
AoE near distance decreased from 2 to 1,5 (smaller insta-wipe radius).
AoE mid damage decreased from 0,35 to 0,25 (40 instead of 56 damage).
After moving, it now takes one second for the gun to aim and fire. (This is a huge nerf!)
Pintle MG upgrade removed.
Now uses the model of the StuG III G (long barrel).

Other stuff:

Sd.Kfz. 223 Lockdown now has a recharge time of 10 seconds.
Fixed Sd.Kfz. 223 decapturing with 400% speed.
Fixed Sd.Kfz. 250/1 having the wrong weapon. DPS for the MG 42 is now similar to the Soviet M3A1's M2HB.
3 Nov 2016, 18:14 PM

Dislike what u done for Soviet Defense tactics (with exception about dshka bunkers), cause it would fck up my super working start, to use dshka spam supported with penals and 2 m42's and occasionaly mortar, into fast t3/t4.

But i love your idea about frp for vanilla faction though, so much needed many times. And your docs seems to be on cons heavy strats :)

4 Nov 2016, 00:57 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Dislike what u done for Soviet Defense tactics (with exception about dshka bunkers), cause it would fck up my super working start, to use dshka spam supported with penals and 2 m42's and occasionaly mortar, into fast t3/t4.

That does sound pretty savage. Sorry :D

But i love your idea about frp for vanilla faction though, so much needed many times. And your docs seems to be on cons heavy strats :)

Thanks! Whether FRPs are good for the game or not can be debated, but either all factions should have them or none at all.
Cons just needed some love. They're supposed to be mainline infantry! While their Vet is actually decent, their DPS is just too low to effectively fight MG42 Grens or StG44 Volks. Weapon upgrades were the natural solution here.
4 Nov 2016, 12:58 PM

Thanks! Whether FRPs are good for the game or not can be debated, but either all factions should have them or none at all.

Exactly
Not having FRP has always been thing i hated most about vanilla factions, imo not having frp just punishes big assaults, (im not talkkin about killer rifle blobs. And btw blobs isnt as cancerous with vanilla factions (gren or con blob anyone?, ffs)

Keep up good work, so many good ideas... Just dont fck with soviet defense doc :D

Ah and for Tank Hunter doc, - mark target would be savage for it, in place of increased pen. (or maybe isu call in (if only it had better pen :D )
4 Nov 2016, 14:05 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Ah and for Tank Hunter doc, - mark target would be savage for it, in place of increased pen. (or maybe isu call in (if only it had better pen :D )

Yeah, I made that before the SU-85 got a pen buff, so Improved Ammo might not be necessary! Mark Target is a good option. To include the ISU, it would need a buff against tanks, but I don't wanna mess with it too much. There was a time when it was OP as fuck :D
3 Feb 2017, 16:47 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

4. It doesn't have any special animation states, which makes it difficult to add something unique. I could try to enable carrying troops, but it's probably gonna look pretty bad, if it works at all. In its current state, it's supposed to be a slow, but cost-efficient meatshield that's effective against infantry and medium tanks. Any ideas for special abilities?

I thought the KV-1 could use something extra aswell in my mod, so I searched a bit and found a state that opens the top-hatch. I made a throw grenade ability which is mostly copied from the Churchill.
The state_machine_name is: "turret_mg42_state",
the do_action_state_name: "ready"
and the undo_action_state_name: "unarmed".

Screenshot from my ability:

I can give you more info if you're interested.
3 Feb 2017, 16:55 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I thought the KV-1 could use something extra aswell in my mod, so I searched a bit and found a state that opens the top-hatch. I made a throw grenade ability which is mostly copied from the Churchill.
The state_machine_name is: "turret_mg42_state",
the do_action_state_name: "ready"
and the undo_action_state_name: "unarmed".

Screenshot from my ability:

I can give you more info if you're interested.

I guarantee that there will be several interested posters who play SU, who will be interested to read this discovery. :D
3 Feb 2017, 18:47 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

[...]

Thanks! I'm not a fan of tanks throwing grenades, so I tried using that animation state to add a spotter. This is how it turned out:

...I might add a grenade ability after all :guyokay:
What did you use for the projectile's launcher_marker?
3 Feb 2017, 19:13 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

What did you use for the projectile's launcher_marker?

I use launch_marker: marker_dam_mainhatch
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS