Login

russian armor

Allies weapon racks upgrade and USF smoke

18 Oct 2016, 14:25 PM

When I asked Miragefla for some advice for my mod, he made me realise that the XP-feeding values of certain low-member elite squads (4 or less people), e.g., Panzergrenaders are awarding XP which is way higher than their reinforcement cost.

1. One option is to tweak how much vet Riflemen feed.

Thus, I had a wild idea:
- What if we kept USF Rifleman veterancy bonuses as is, but instead spread them out to 5 veterancy levels (thus slowing down the process)
- In addition to this, we could make that the riflemen higher-vet-levels (vet4 and vet5) make them award way more XP than currently (sort of how much XP PGrens CURRENTLY award, and a bit more XP than Obers SHOULD award).
- (nerf USF mortar, obviously)

The idea is that Riflemen can retain their broken vet. At the same time, if the player misuses them, they can feed the entire enemy faction so much vet they can wipe USF off the map. This will act more like a balancing mechanism that will allow elite squads to buy into the game, when Rifles have already reached terminator-levels of vet.

That actually sounds reasonable, however it would need quite a bit of fine-tuning to get right. That is of course okay if you want to invest the necessary work into it, but it isn't something feasible for the one and a half person Relic has still working on COH2.

The problem with this approach is that I am too lazy to figure out how to equate BARs to LMGs (2 BARs = LMG, obviously. However, what about 1 BAR?). Also how many/which abilities become available if the squad carries only 1 LMG or only 1 BAR.

A subtler problem with this approach is that the current UI options only show one of the slot weapons that is equipped. This makes it difficult for the player to tell from the UI which squads are double-equiped (thus, e.g., lack snares), and which aren't.

Regarding the BAR, see my post above. The BAR was so heavily buffed a while ago, that it isn't straight up worse than other LMGs, it simply works a little bit differently while being in some regards significantly better than most LMGs out there. The old "2 BARs = 1 LMG" rule is not appropriate.
Since all units that have to upgrade their LMG (instead of picking it up) can freely use their abilities and thus only get one MG by deault, this should of course also apply here. Thus no change is needed on a squad that simply picks up one LMG.

The second problem could be fixed with colour, but I don't think that is possible to do through a mod. If a squad carries only a single LMG, the upgrade symbol below the unit flag could have a different colour than on a unit with two LMGs.

IMO, there should also be a difference between picking up a dropped weapon from the battlefield and picking a weapon up from weapon racks, but I don't think the game makes that option possible.
18 Oct 2016, 14:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2016, 14:20 PMEsxile

Maybe because while being able to fire on the move, RM/1BAR lose vs Gren/LMG at max distance and trying to close the gap.

They only lose when either trying to stay at max range, or when closing in without the use of cover. This is the way it is meant to be, because otherwise Grens would have no chance, regardless of their tactical situation - which would of course be bullshit, because then there would be no more reason to build Grens against USF, and thus there would be no more reason to even play Ostheer vs. USF matchups.

Your idea of making BARs even cheaper would counter the whole idea of fixing the double BAR spam that we currently see. Or better said: It wouldn't just counter it, it would also make it worse. We don't need a cheaper, stronger Rifleman-upgrade combo, that one already is too powerful.
18 Oct 2016, 15:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Well, what exactly is the correct formula? And sure, more distance numbers would be nice, but for an essential overview close and long range is enough.

DPS being calculated as: Damage x Accuracy x (Shots per burst x Shots fired before reload / Total time to shoot including reload)

Total time to shoot including reload = ((Shoot burst duration + Fire aim time + Wind up + Wind down)*Shoots fire before reload) + (Cooldown duration * Reload frequency) + (Reload duration)

accuracy*damage*(1+reload frequency) * (1+burst duration * rate of fire)
/
(ReadyAim + ReloadDuration - FireAim - Cooldown) + (1+reload frequency)* (Wind up+Wind down+FireAim+Cooldown+Burst duration

The point is, that the numbers you show up and what i do differ. You say that they have "more" DPS at long range, when they do only have it at 25 (when entering mid range). As you say, as a general overview it's fine. The problem is when you try to represent it as exact values and "hard" evidence in a nice graph but the raw numbers are flawed.

PD: there's also the focus fire tag which is impossible to account for the damage it secondarily generates (this is present on most SMG/AR/HMGs).
19 Oct 2016, 06:45 AM

They only lose when either trying to stay at max range, or when closing in without the use of cover. This is the way it is meant to be, because otherwise Grens would have no chance, regardless of their tactical situation - which would of course be bullshit, because then there would be no more reason to build Grens against USF, and thus there would be no more reason to even play Ostheer vs. USF matchups.

Your idea of making BARs even cheaper would counter the whole idea of fixing the double BAR spam that we currently see. Or better said: It wouldn't just counter it, it would also make it worse. We don't need a cheaper, stronger Rifleman-upgrade combo, that one already is too powerful.

Sometime it is good to ready the entire topic to understand what people are saying. Someone is complaining that RM>Gren, so I say it you want to make Gren=RM, do it also for the price.
At no moment I say that I want RM=Gren.
19 Oct 2016, 12:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2016, 06:45 AMEsxile

Sometime it is good to ready the entire topic to understand what people are saying. Someone is complaining that RM>Gren, so I say it you want to make Gren=RM, do it also for the price.
At no moment I say that I want RM=Gren.

That accusation is pretty funny, when it appears you didn't read anything I wrote. I don't want to equalise those two units, I want each of them to perform well in different situations, mostly by differentiating their performance at different ranges. I want to preserve some form of asymmetric balance, whereas your are solely concerned about having a unit that is no longer ridiculously OP in any scenario.

Not to mention that your way of addressing that issue is entirely bonkers: By assuming that BARs are significantly worse than LMGs (even if we go by elchino7's numbers that is totally wrong) you go for the idea of making double BAR-equipped Riflemen even easier to achieve (despite exactly that being the problem that sparked this discussion). Riflemen with a single BAR are totally okay (in relative terms, because vet3 on Riflemen is a completely different matter), there is no need for any kind of nerf or change here. So the question arises why you would want to then go ahead and reduce the cost (on the false pretence that the BAR is somehow worse than other LMGs)?

The point is, that the numbers you show up and what i do differ. You say that they have "more" DPS at long range, when they do only have it at 25 (when entering mid range). As you say, as a general overview it's fine. The problem is when you try to represent it as exact values and "hard" evidence in a nice graph but the raw numbers are flawed.

PD: there's also the focus fire tag which is impossible to account for the damage it secondarily generates (this is present on most SMG/AR/HMGs).

Thanks for the formulas, I will run the numbers again then. It doesn't change the underlying problem that is visible in the game though: All double upgrades are bollocks and should simply be removed. Picking up more weaponry that was dropped is fine (so there wouldn't need to be a reduction of weapon slots), because that is a rather limited occurrence meant to reward the collecting player. But anything else, BARs, M1919s, Brens, PzGrens's Schreck, all of that needs to go.

P.S.: Here we go. I included the numbers for only 1 BAR on Riflemen, to show that preventing them from getting a second one would solve a lot of problems.

DPS (vet 0, raw damage w/o rec. accuracy factors)Rifleman SquadGrenadier Squad
range 033.8523.08
range 0 w/ LMG48.2423.61
range 0 w/ 1 BAR41.02
range 358.359.04
range 35 w/ LMG13.7715.99
range 35 w/ 1 BAR11.06

DPS (vet 0, raw damage w/ rec. accuracy factors)Rifleman SquadGrenadier Squad
range 030.8022.39
range 0 w/ LMG43.9022.90
range 0 w/ 1 BAR37.33
range 357.598.77
range 35 w/ LMG12.5315.51
range 35 w/ 1 BAR10.06

Even with the right numbers, my general point still remains. The performance difference at long range doesn't justify the massive difference at close range. Yes, unlike I previously wrote, Grens will win long range engagements, but the double BAR upgrade still means that Riflemen basically lose their defining weakness. Combine that with powerful veterancy bonuses that especially Ostheer infantry lacks (all Ostheer infantry has higher veterancy requirements than their counterparts on top of that, because they are balanced against Soviet infantry and their even bigger than USF squadsizes), and you will see even that little difference that exists vanish into thin air.

The new numbers also still support the idea of limiting especially the BAR to one per squad. I'll do the M1919 numbers as well ASAP, but the M1919 comes with certain trade-offs that make me believe a simple DPS adjustment should be enough. In the most positive case though, all double upgrades should go (as I wrote above), as the double Panzerschreck on PzGrens is equally retarded.
19 Oct 2016, 14:35 PM

Comparing RM and Gren dps in a vacuum is certainly stupid. Not that showing stat doesn't make sense for the reflexion but basing all your argumentation on it shows the limitation your have at visualizing the big picture of the balance question.
The way you put far/close range stats without any once of questioning make me think you have 0 idea what you are talking about. You just add numbers happily seeing they are showing something going in your way. And how could it be different since we are talking about two units clearly different with quite a huge price gap.

Now, if you really want to be useful with your numbers, you'll have to consider the reality of the game like: assuming USF is an aggressive faction and Ostheer a defensive faction, RM are offensive tool and Gren defensive tool, assuming the RM squad is charging to close the range, passing through successive yellow/green/red covers vs a green covered gren squad, so assuming the RM squad reach close range where his DPS shine,
1)how many RM squad member are still alive at that time?
2)how many Gren squad member are still alive at that time?
3)What would become the dps and life remaining of the RM squad at close range
4)What would become the dps and life remaining of the gren squad at close range

And then, taking only those 2 assumptions as a beginning, I'll be interested in the numbers you may provide.
Knowing there are many many other assumptions possible, that would simply be a beginning of intelligent reasoning upon numbers.

Hope it explains the sarcasm I made when I responded that if we put RM stat equal to Gren stat, we could also put their relative prices equal...

19 Oct 2016, 15:05 PM

<min-range stats>
<max-range stats>

I am not sure if your calculations also consider the fact that the following are affected by range:
- Aim time (ready and fire_aim)
- cooldown
- burst-duration
- (maybe some other stuff that I forgot)

I don't have a DPS calculator handy on the machine I am writing this post (I have one at home, though). From memory, though, the numbers for range-0 LMG riflemen and LMG-grens seem a bit wonky compared to their non-LMG versions.

Also, Elchino already mentioned why it's a fallacy to only present min-range stats and max-range stats:

- HU only shows DPS at longest/closest range. CRUZZ shows the entire DPS graph for all ranges
- (even for the ranges displayed), the HU website uses an incorrect formula to derive the DPS values
- (even when the correct formula is correct), HU sometimes altogether displays incorrect weapons for several squads
- We have no way to contact the admins of the HU website to rectify those errors (whereas, Cruzz is a prominent patron of this website, and is always open to suggestions).

If you insist on only making conclusions based on those two extreme values, you will soon find that your conclusions will contradict actual in-game experience.

For instance, vet3 PGrens can beat vet3 fully-upgraded Tommies in equal cover for any distance up to 25. That's a very generous distance. Yet, if you only only base your conclusions on max-range data, you can completely miss that out.

I'm not arguing that vet3 riflemen are not bullshit. I'm only arguing that this is not the right way to show this.

However, I don't agree with your conclusion that CoH2 should completely throw away the slot-item system. Yes, at the current state it's overpowered. Yes, it sucks that one faction (Soviets) has no access to this mechanic. It also leads to untenable situations where some factions are allowed to outspend their opponents to a state that they makes the opponents' investment worthless (double-LMG USF vs single-LMG Ostheer).

The game has multiple aspects, some of which attract some users more than others (e.g., artillery, tank warfare, defensive play, logistics, tactical infantry play). I would argue that no-brainer infantry upgrades hurt the depth of infantry play, as much as auto-fire mortars limit the depth of artillery play.

However, to completely remove infantry customization would leave infantry play in a state that is at least as poor, if not poorer than the current one. (Think of it as removing mortars from the game, than simply nerfing their auto-attack potency).

IMO even double LMGs are ok, as long as they expose the squad to some kind of weakness that the enemy is allowed to exploit.
19 Oct 2016, 16:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2016, 14:35 PMEsxile

Comparing RM and Gren dps in a vacuum is certainly stupid. Not that showing stat doesn't make sense for the reflexion but basing all your argumentation on it shows the limitation your have at visualizing the big picture of the balance question.
The way you put far/close range stats without any once of questioning make me think you have 0 idea what you are talking about. You just add numbers happily seeing they are showing something going in your way. And how could it be different since we are talking about two units clearly different with quite a huge price gap.

This vacuum is what basically happens most of the time, though, especially now that the USF mortar basically makes MG play useless. Yeah, on this forum every single person will tell me "Use your MG.", without ever stopping to think what this means: We're constantly talking not only about different amounts of field presence due to different teching structures and different squad sizes and squad costs, some people also like to fog up the discussion by suddenly ignoring the investments their "l2p"-demand necessitates.
By that logic, we couldn't make any prediction about the game whatsoever, because there are basically hundreds of constellations to think of. By putting directly competing units in a vacuum, comparing their different performances allows us a glimpse into their effects in the game. This is basically the only chance we have to give somewhat relevant predictions about the game, without having to calculate hundreds or thousands of data points and combine them with hundreds or thousands of data points collected ingame.

TL;DR: My method of putting these units in a vacuum is a necessary oversimplification for the lack of better data management options available to us. The fact that nobody has ever provided a better one so far suggests that the work required to do so would be too immense for any single individual to do.

Yes, allowing for models to die in that calculation is an interesting point, and I will take the effort required to do so in consideration when making such lists in the future, but as I wrote above, I was making maximum-comparisons. These include the best possible scenario for both sides on the basis that these factors decide the majority of outcomes. There is of course always some uncertainty in these calculations in any case, as some of these values are random number dependant (accuracy for example), and are only assumed to reach these optimums if you compile an infinite amount of data points in the game. This would of course be an interesting job for a statistician, but I doubt that any of us here would gain anything out of that, not to mention that many people would be surprised to learn that the RNG in COH2 is probably mediocre at best...

I am not sure if your calculations also consider the fact that the following are affected by range:
- Aim time (ready and fire_aim)
- cooldown
- burst-duration
- (maybe some other stuff that I forgot)

I don't have a DPS calculator handy on the machine I am writing this post (I have one at home, though). From memory, though, the numbers for range-0 LMG riflemen and LMG-grens seem a bit wonky compared to their non-LMG versions.

[...]

If you insist on only making conclusions based on those two extreme values, you will soon find that your conclusions will contradict actual in-game experience.

The damage development of those two units over distance is extremely similar. That is the advantage of making these statements in a vacuum, because comparing becomes easier. And these number may appear wonky, but only if you don't consider that an MG upgrade replaces on of the normal weapons (4+1 and 3+2 on Riflemen). Since not every weapon upgrade is a clear DPS upgrade at any range, these values appear less extreme as you may expect of a specific upgrade (for example, the LMG 42 on Grens deals 6.33 DPS at close range, while the Gren K98k deals 5.76 DPS - that means that the LMG 42 barely improves the close range performance, making the squad based number appear too low despite being right).

For instance, vet3 PGrens can beat vet3 fully-upgraded Tommies in equal cover for any distance up to 25. That's a very generous distance. Yet, if you only only base your conclusions on max-range data, you can completely miss that out.

As I said, I was choosing a certain "vacuum" for a reason. Of course you can say that my "vacuum" is too narrow, and you would technically be correct, but the way I selected the "vacuum" itself is fine.

I'm not arguing that vet3 riflemen are not bullshit. I'm only arguing that this is not the right way to show this.

However, I don't agree with your conclusion that CoH2 should completely throw away the slot-item system. Yes, at the current state it's overpowered. Yes, it sucks that one faction (Soviets) has no access to this mechanic. It also leads to untenable situations where some factions are allowed to outspend their opponents to a state that they makes the opponents' investment worthless (double-LMG USF vs single-LMG Ostheer).

The game has multiple aspects, some of which attract some users more than others (e.g., artillery, tank warfare, defensive play, logistics, tactical infantry play). I would argue that no-brainer infantry upgrades hurt the depth of infantry play, as much as auto-fire mortars limit the depth of artillery play.

However, to completely remove infantry customization would leave infantry play in a state that is at least as poor, if not poorer than the current one. (Think of it as removing mortars from the game, than simply nerfing their auto-attack potency).

IMO even double LMGs are ok, as long as they expose the squad to some kind of weakness that the enemy is allowed to exploit.

I never said that I wanted to entirely abandon the slot system, that would be pretty daft as it would require a major overhaul of the current game's background systems, which I am sure Relic can't and won't do.

What I want is that weapon slots and weapon racks are separated, thus allowing for example Riflemen to still pick up weaponry on the field while equipped with a BAR, but to prevent them from equipping a second BAR from the weapon racks. The numbers I used were meant to point out that the general performance of Riflemen justifies this "downgrade" while keeping their general profile as close-in infantry. That's why I also wrote, that Riflemen veterancy needed only a slight touch at best, to keep their current profile (instead of nerfing both BARs and Riflemen vet to a level where they can't perform properly in their role).
19 Oct 2016, 17:53 PM

TL;DR: My method of putting these units in a vacuum is a necessary oversimplification for the lack of better data management options available to us. The fact that nobody has ever provided a better one so far suggests that the work required to do so would be too immense for any single individual to do.

Do it as you want, but the only people you'll interest are yourself and people thinking like you. Do not expect any balanced reflexion coming from it.
19 Oct 2016, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Oct 2016, 17:53 PMEsxile

Do it as you want, but the only people you'll interest are yourself and people thinking like you. Do not expect any balanced reflexion coming from it.

Since you didn't offer any better method or argument, I don't think that I should give more heed to your claims than mine, which are least somewhat based on facts. But hey, it's always the other guy's fault, eh? Or in other words: Offer something better, or get lost. Because the only one listening to you with that attitude are people who wouldn't recognise the truth if it bit them in their arses...
20 Oct 2016, 06:38 AM

Since you didn't offer any better method or argument, I don't think that I should give more heed to your claims than mine, which are least somewhat based on facts. But hey, it's always the other guy's fault, eh? Or in other words: Offer something better, or get lost. Because the only one listening to you with that attitude are people who wouldn't recognise the truth if it bit them in their arses...

I do not try to offer better argument but balanced arguments, here lies the difference and reading your participation on the other threads shows how lost you are in this matter. Or maybe you try to be original by asking for nerf on stuff that is not problematic but keeping the stuff OP alive.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★