Login

russian armor

Appeal of playing Ost?

29 Sep 2016, 18:01 PM

So a lot of people here think that Ost is weak, especially vs. the new and improved USF. This thread is addressed to them.

What I'm wondering is why people still love playing Ost despite considering it to be outdated and outclassed? Personally, although I enjoy playing OKW a lot more I find this inexplicable draw towards Ost and tend to play as them a lot more, even after games that make me go "I'm never playing this inept faction again!"

So what motivates you to search for a game as Ost? Is it the challenge? Is it the masochistic playing style? Is it the voice acting? :)
29 Sep 2016, 18:14 PM

What motives me to play as Ost? To lose, badly.
29 Sep 2016, 18:19 PM

I personally like the combined arms approach of the faction, working different units classes in unison just feels the most rewarding when you pull it of (although its also more punishing if you mess up). Since Ost has a lot of (somewhat viable) options theres also a lot to play around with in terms of army composition and build orders - although most of the time you'll probably loose without mobile defense, mechanized assault or some other meta commander ;).
29 Sep 2016, 18:22 PM

Still my favourite faction because of the core of iconic German units such as the MG42, StuG and Tiger I.

Also they seem to be the most well thought out faction of the game with a grid of good support weapons.

Since some patches ago they also have the most options to start. Osttruppen spam into T2, MG spam, MGs+ Pioniere into T2, Grenadier, Snipers and so on. Every unit they have early is useful (at least in the early game).

Later they become shit in what they originally should excell in: Late game. Ironically they are the exact oppostie of the initial design (weak early , strong late).
29 Sep 2016, 18:39 PM

As an old friend always said :"I play ost because they have the cool suit"
29 Sep 2016, 18:56 PM

I just love Tigers :guyokay:

Plus I really like to use combined arms instead of a-move 3x Rifles with double BARs supported by 2 auto-sniping mortar :P

Tho I lose heavily with OST and like 3/4 of the games versus players I'm almost sure I would win as OKW, but as the game moves on Grens are losing their power more and more and more... It's depressing :guyokay:

If at least people playing allies would split 1/3 for each faction.. But in my last 21 games, 15 were versus USF :romeoPls:
29 Sep 2016, 20:45 PM

Unless you are at the very bottom of the ladder (in which case, you need to L2P), matchmaking will, eventually make it so that you are matched against opponents you have chance of beating (even if it means dropping to rank 600-ish so that you are matched against rank 1k+ opponents).

Personally, I really love playing OST post patch for the sole purpose that I love playing aggressive factions. Especially in teamgames.

The USF mortar has forever altered the dynamics of the early game, making it mandatory to go for a mad dash to grab it/neutralise it, which gets adrenaline pumping. This is, while also doing something to neutralise the light-tank advantage of USF/Soviets.

Thus, the innate disadvantage of OST vs USF, and the requirement to bully UKF in the early game, make for a very fun experience.

As Panzergrenadiers tend to remark in-game: relax; take a shit; whatever.

Also, Stug spam never gets old.
29 Sep 2016, 22:02 PM

Luff supply. just sit back and spam drop zone and recon+dive bomb 247. Best way to finish off opponents in 2v2
30 Sep 2016, 00:06 AM
Patrion 14

no matter how UP a faction is, as long as there is asymmetry the faction will live on. Do i like facing against USF mortar? Land Mattress? nope. but there is no substitute for OST style of game play.
30 Sep 2016, 00:17 AM

Its more of a challenge, the playstyle is far more diversified than ie. US (these days at least where flanking no longer is a requirement),and more rewarding if you actually win for once, especially when playing off meta.
Ost voice acting is pretty meh, although nowhere near as bad as that of OKW.
30 Sep 2016, 00:20 AM

finnaly in 4vs4 mode usf can rape ost and i like it
30 Sep 2016, 01:37 AM

It's a challenge. You always feel on the back foot. They become very fun once you manage to vet all your units to vet 3 and just outplay your opponent. When I play ost I always feel like a phalanx that the enemy breaks themselves upon. I like feeling unshakable in the late game. The meta however tends to wreck this satisfaction as it consists of rocket artillery where the enemy just sits back and bombs the hell out of you. Ostheer isnt offensive so you cant really respond to their artillery properly.
30 Sep 2016, 02:09 AM

Bunker spam against low level players...
30 Sep 2016, 02:48 AM

Generally Ostheer, IMO is probably the best and most well though out and implmented army of the game.

Truly what makes it diffcult, is the fact that the army requires a lot of skill to micro several units,"combine arms" if you will.

Other armys are much more newbie friendly and accessible, for exame OKW is staright forward such common builds usually boil down to a few core units, like -->strums -->volks--> raket and/or some AT-->end game units which is simplicity for a lot of low end players.

The ostheer player however must maintain a well balance army throughtout the entire match. Any loses are generally really bad as they relie heavliy on Vet units to outperform there allie counter part.
30 Sep 2016, 16:44 PM

Whatever problem you have, there is a unit specifically to deal with it.
30 Sep 2016, 16:58 PM

If I want to play Ostheer, I just play the faction that they copied badly from for CoH2, VCoH Ostheer lol!
30 Sep 2016, 17:03 PM

Watching support units die when I get that sneaky flanking pgren in position. Bundle nade whatever is slowing down the lmg grens and let the stg melt the others. Another of my favs is sneaking the pgrens around to their retreat path and then push the main assault with grens et al. Once they start to retreat the pgren pops out and no more freedom fighters/commies. The trick is being conservative with the pgrens until they get to vet 2.

im seriously loving storm doctrine lately with an okw mate. nobody remembers riegel mines. the absolute best part of it for me is the ambush camo. mandatory on mg42 and pgrens.
30 Sep 2016, 17:49 PM

Ost is a generally diverse faction, no unit alone can function (except maybe 222's). Getting it to work requires near constant micro, anticipation of enemy movements, smart engagements, and ultimately good tank micro. When you pull it off it is very sweet.

I like playing Ost a lot, but I just get annoyed when I have to fight sniper mortars or Brit emplacements, the faction itself is still fun to play.
30 Sep 2016, 19:38 PM

Playing as ostheer is super fun. Playing against certain allied units AS ostheer is not fun. I feel so much more BA with all my ostheer troops at vet 3 compared to having my army at vet with any other faction. My favorite vet 3 ostheer units are the pwerfer, pgrens without Shreks, p4, and mortar.
30 Sep 2016, 20:23 PM

My favorite vet 3 ostheer units are the pwerfer, pgrens without Shreks, p4, and mortar.

And then you realize that vet 3 Calliope is way better than vet 3 Werfer, vet 3 PzGrens are not that good vs vet 3 Rifles with BARs and vet 3 mortar is nowhere near vet 3 USF mortar :foreveralone::foreveralone::foreveralone:

Only Pz4 stands becasue of extra armor when compare to Sherman :guyokay:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS