Login

russian armor

Appeal of playing Ost?

30 Sep 2016, 20:40 PM
Donator 22

Ostheer is the best well designed faction. I really enjoy playing them. And when you play against good top players and won that match it feels like:

30 Sep 2016, 20:47 PM
Strategist Badge

For me the appeal comes from finding a way to win despite the poor balance. Using new builds or the same units in different ways to beat a tryhard opponent using all the OP stuff is very satisfying.

If a faction is already very strong in the current meta you usually have to do something less effective to do something new, which can be fun but also counter intuitive.
30 Sep 2016, 20:59 PM

And then you realize that vet 3 Calliope is way better than vet 3 Werfer, vet 3 PzGrens are not that good vs vet 3 Rifles with BARs and vet 3 mortar is nowhere near vet 3 USF mortar :foreveralone::foreveralone::foreveralone:

Only Pz4 stands becasue of extra armor when compare to Sherman :guyokay:

"Axis strong late game"

What a myth. Maybe a few years ago but not today.

I would love to see how Allies would deal with having the same reinforcement costs as ostheer. 30mp for grens and 42 for pgrens is absurd.
30 Sep 2016, 21:29 PM

I like the Ost purely because of the sniper. I just have fun challenging myself to get to 50 kills... or 100 kills in a 2v2 with it...

In a 2v2 its not too bad in combination with a OKW player. But vs USF it is pretty cancer...

And to be honest... all allied factions currently outmatch the Ostheer early game except maybe the british (but their double LMG's make up for it).

Alot of people have issues with the USF mortar... and i agree... infact its the only way i ever seem to lose squads in a scenario where...

Full HP 4 man gren squad, in heavy cover, fighting a rifle squad out of cover... BOOM mortar shell hits, 2 grens dead, other two at 2% hp gunned down by the rifles on retreat.

So yeah as much BS the USF mortar is, i think theres another unit thats actually worse and often overlooked...

PENALS!
These Mother F**kers are currently insane... Since their rifle accuracy buff, (which they didnt need) they have just become totally mental in the early game. You CANNOT stand behind cover, or they will microwave you with the flame thrower, and if you stand in the open, they will just gun you down. Then going either guards or AT partisans (which seems to be a new meta with sov reserve army)... Just gives them map control and early AT to get rid of any ostheer counter such as a 222 or FHT.
30 Sep 2016, 21:39 PM

"Axis strong late game"

What a myth. Maybe a few years ago but not today.

I would love to see how Allies would deal with having the same reinforcement costs as ostheer. 30mp for grens and 42 for pgrens is absurd.

Eh

PGrens reinforcement cost has been 34MP for a year now.

(Stormtroopers are 33MP-a-head)
1 Oct 2016, 21:39 PM

Their appeal?
If you lose, you can always blame balance, so it's never your fault!
And if you win? PURE SKILL BRO.
2 Oct 2016, 00:51 AM

LOL at the crying noobies qqing about balance.

OST is the strongest faction in this game, as it been always, you just need to get gud.

Now that T4 is so cheap, late game is a breeze.
2 Oct 2016, 00:59 AM
Developer Relic Badge

LOL at the crying noobies qqing about balance.

OST is the strongest faction in this game, as it been always, you just need to get gud.

Now that T4 is so cheap, late game is a breeze.

Here we go again with random aggression. Don't assume you know everything. And if you're going to say something, put some effort into the post and explain. If not you might as well not type or add to the conversation.

If you're talking about team games then yes, T4 is cheap, but so is everything else since you can actually safely rush it thanks to 2-3+ teammates. In smaller games, it's still not viable, especially when Ostheer has no way to force the enemy to react to give themselves breathing rooms aside from 222s or certain doctrines. Getting T4 is easier, but the vehicles except the Werfer are still expensive and means more time for the enemy to run around.

Ostheer can be strong, but it requires flawless micro and good positioning if you're not going cheese-meta aka call-ins or relying on snipers and snipers means less map control for a faction that will generally have less map vs everyone but Brits.

You can't afford bad engagements or you'll have a hell of a time trying to retake ground as Ostheer excels at holding, not assaulting until T3/T4. Furthermore, you've got to be prepared for light armour which means less AI which is needed for factions like USF. Finally, Ostheer units, until you reach tanks, are mainly glasscannons. You cannot sustain damage for long, hence the need for good positioning and micro, though bad RNG probably hurts Ostheer the most.

As to why I like Ostheer when I play them. Combined-Arms, diverse units, strong defense (barring RNG), and it probably feels the best winning with the faction as it probably has the least cheese aside from Snipers (less so now) and 222 spam. (I don't even touch call-ins as it's too meta)

2 Oct 2016, 04:12 AM

After trying to work out with OKW, now i'm back with Ostheer. Something in me makes me feel way more comfortable when playing as Ostheer rather than OKW (Probably cause I rank higher in the ladder (2v2) as Ost (660) than as OKW (2000+)). 

I feel like the only reason Ost is considered weak nowadays is due to their nature to be fragile. Beside from that, they are fairly balance. The lack of light vehicles can be compensate with Panzergrens dueling Schrecks, Pak 40 (Hands down the best AT gun in the game in my opinion, especially the target weak point) and faust from Grens. 

Ostheer is fragile, that's true. However, the diversity of the army open up so many strategies and ways for you to adapt to many situations. 
- They go heavy-infantry build and they aren't Sov: Go Sniper (Something which OKW can't afford) .‎
- They go heavy-infantry build and they are Sov: Mortar + MG42 (Best MG in the game with incendiary rounds) is the way to go (Mortar is something OKW can't afford, same with the MG)‎
- They go LV rush: Teller mine (Ost also has 2 seperate types of mines for 2 different purposes, which I like a lot), Pak 40 and dueling Schrecks Panzergrens with make sure those bastards won't rise supreme (OKW can't afford these kinds of diversity)‎
- They go heavy-support-weapon and not Brit: Mortar + Ostwind later on will end the game in your victory (OKW don't have this good mortar with smoke)‎
- They go heavy-support-weapon and being Brit: Spearhead is the way to go, if not then Festung Armor Doctrine, which also come with one of the most OP ability in the game: Relief Infantry (OKW don't have Relief Infantry)

So basically, if you want a faction that fragile but has a huge diversity in strategies and counter-strategy, Ostheer is the best faction in my opinion. Going OKW would mean you remove the fragile element but at the same time, lose the "diversity" element. Yeah we all complain about how fragile they are, but it just like you complain about our old wife. Keep thinking and complaining there are women out there prettier than her, but eventually with still stick to her since you know her best, not those others! ‎
2 Oct 2016, 04:30 AM

As to why I like Ostheer when I play them. Combined-Arms, diverse units, strong defense (barring RNG), and it probably feels the best winning with the faction as it probably has the least cheese aside from Snipers (less so now) and 222 spam. (I don't even touch call-ins as it's too meta)

The moment you win 2 USF players that spam Rifle with your Ost mate in less than 6 minutes all thanks to MG42 + Mortar + 2 Grens is just the best! Seeing those players QQs then leave... Make me triggered everytime! 

Also, agree with everything else you said. This faction by far, in my opinion, required you to be as flawless at micro as possible and basically required the most out of all other factions. However, when you win as the faction that has been considered the weakest by the community, it just the best feel and the reason why i'm coming back to play as Ostheer again.

2 Oct 2016, 14:12 PM

Unfortunately, despite Lelic's attempts, meta is still all about call-ins, like how many competitive games that doesn't include Stug E spam / Puma call-in?
14 Oct 2016, 21:16 PM

It's the challenge.

And vetting up some of their units is incredibly fun, like the PGrens and 222.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★