How do you move about the map?
Option Distribution Votes
14%
24%
62%
Total votes: 42
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
23 Jul 2016, 00:41 AM

So, the title says it - do most people prefer to use GridKeys with a WASD .ahk script, or do you use regular CoH2 controls with side scrolling/minimap?

Is it worth going through the time to learn how to play using GridKeys and WASD for movement, or is it okay to play stock and scroll? I've put in quite a few hours against AI and such; I tried using GridKeys for a match and absolutely hated it. Is it worth putting in the time to get used to, or is it okay as is?

Thanks! :)
23 Jul 2016, 01:10 AM

You mean gridkeys as in qwerasdfzxcv all corresponding to a position on the command card, aye? Where do you move the grid if using WASD? Do you just forget about command card slots row 1 column 2, and row 2 column 1-3? Am I not understanding what gridkeys are?

I click the minimap where I want to go, mousescroll the rest of the way, and use spacebar and control groups for extra jumping around.
23 Jul 2016, 01:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 01:10 AMJaedrik
You mean gridkeys as in qwerasdfzxcv all corresponding to a position on the command card, aye? Where do you move the grid if using WASD? Do you just forget about command card slots row 1 column 2, and row 2 column 1-3? Am I not understanding what gridkeys are?

I click the minimap where I want to go, mousescroll the rest of the way, and use spacebar and control groups for extra jumping around.

Maybe this is a more complicated issue than I thought - what I meant was disabling "classic" controls in the CoH2 menu (F for reinforce sound familiar?), and the script changes WASD to move around the map like arrow keys.
23 Jul 2016, 01:15 AM

Maybe this is a more complicated issue than I thought - what I meant was disabling "classic" controls in the CoH2 menu (F for reinforce sound familiar?), and the script changes WASD to move around the map like arrow keys.

So, again, what do you do with command card slots row 1 column 2, and row 2 column 1-3 when you unbind them through AHK?
23 Jul 2016, 01:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 01:15 AMJaedrik

So, again, what do you do with command card slots row 1 column 2, and row 2 column 1-3 when you unbind them through AHK?

Forgive my ignorance - what do you mean by command cards? You don't mean control groups, right?
23 Jul 2016, 01:19 AM

Forgive my ignorance - what do you mean by command cards? You don't mean control groups, right?

No. I mean the 3x4 grid UI in the lower right corner of the screen that holds such things as "reinforce" and "attack" and "retreat." I'm pretty sure it's called the command card.
Gridkeys are where you disable the classic hotkeys through the ingame option. The game by default only knows those two hotkey formats, and disabling classic hotkeys shifts them to each slot on the command card corresponding to a position on the keyboard:
qwer
asdf
zxcv
Hence, a physical 'grid.'
23 Jul 2016, 01:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 01:19 AMJaedrik

No. I mean the 3x4 grid UI in the lower right corner of the screen that holds such things as "reinforce" and "attack" and "retreat." I'm pretty sure it's called the command card.

So THAT'S what they mean by GRIDkeys... Thank you so much pal, it finally clicked what these things are.

These were the bindings that I found in the script that I tried to use:

w::up
a::left
s::down
d::right
e::w
r::e
t::r
g::a
b::s
n::d
`::Numpad0
23 Jul 2016, 01:29 AM

So THAT'S what they mean by GRIDkeys... Thank you so much pal, it finally clicked what these things are.

These were the bindings that I found in the script that I tried to use:

No prob :thumb:
Glad to see another AHK user! :D
The script I use is

#IfWinActive, Company Of Heroes 2

~Enter::Suspend
~+ & Enter::Suspend
Return

The enter suspend and shift enter suspend is for being able to type in chat normally, lol.
23 Jul 2016, 01:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 01:29 AMJaedrik

No prob :thumb:
Glad to see another AHK user! :D
The script I use is

~Enter::Suspend
~+ & Enter::Suspend
Return

The enter suspend and shift enter suspend is for being able to type in chat normally, lol.

So that's all you use for your script? Do you still use GridKeys despite that, and can you see the advantage of switching?
23 Jul 2016, 01:40 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jul 2016, 01:15 AMJaedrik

Code

return

MButton::Numpad0

XButton1::Numpad0

f::w
r::f

b::a
g::s

Space & 3:: Send, 7
Space & 4:: Send, 8
Space & 5:: Send, 9

Escape::Suspend

n:: Send, ^a

Middle row is mostly for building tool and there's not many active abilities besides vehicle decrew.

AWSD for scrolling.
Tactical map assigned to either middle or extra mouse button.
F is assigned to the W (stop option), R reinforce and T retreat.
B and G for building options.
N sends ping on map.

Cause i don't want to move the hand out of position, i bind the 789 control groups to be assigned to modifiers of 345. Although i mostly only use the 8 cause in my personal mind, 4 and 8 are for indirect fire (one been mortar and the other artillery) and generally i don't need too many groups.
23 Jul 2016, 01:58 AM

So that's all you use for your script? Do you still use GridKeys despite that, and can you see the advantage of switching?

Gosh dang these automatic smiley face emotes.

Yes, I still use gridkeys. And, no, I don't see a benefit (or it's too marginal) to switching.
If I want keyboard movement, I'll bind them to something silly like yghj. Still, I don't see a benefit.

Code

return

MButton::Numpad0

f::w
r::f

b::a
g::s

Space & 3:: Send, 7
Space & 4:: Send, 8
Space & 5:: Send, 9

Escape::Suspend

n:: Send, ^a

Middle row is mostly for building tool and there's not many active abilities besides vehicle decrew.

AWSD for scrolling.
Tactical map assigned to either middle or extra mouse button.
F is assigned to the W (stop option), R reinforce and T retreat.
B and G for building options.
N sends ping on map.

Cause i don't want to move the hand out of position, i bind the 789 control groups to be assigned to modifiers of 345. Although i mostly only use the 8 cause in my personal mind, 4 and 8 are for indirect fire (one been mortar and the other artillery) and generally i don't need too many groups.

For the life of me, I still don't know how to use multiquote.
Thanks for the ideas, though. I might switch the control groups 789 to shift 456, and ping to something. Also, I can't figure out how to get my mouse buttons to... I have them bound to 1234 because flipping Planetside 2 can't even and I'm too retarded to know how to properly operate the Logitech G700's control panel.
I also play lots of silly mods that give tons more abilities to units so I'd rather not compromise the spatially-oriented wiring in my brain :D
23 Jul 2016, 14:12 PM

I use the regular (shitty) hotkeys, but I scroll by holding down mid mouse. Much superior to side scrolling, imo!
23 Jul 2016, 15:17 PM

custom macro's on keyboard.

23 Jul 2016, 15:39 PM
Donator 11

end::suspend
q::d
z::m
c::e
b::v
x::s
y::b
v::t
tab::^a

This is what I use.
23 Jul 2016, 16:22 PM

Defaults on the exception that i have G button for command groups 7-0 so i dont need to move my hand from spot.

Only freaking nuance is that when changing faction i am miss clicking cause every faction seems to have similar abilities in different buttons.

About the scrolling... I have never ever seen anyone "rotate" their screen in replays... Just wondering is it just me in a marginal group rotating the screen to see windows and path better?
25 Jul 2016, 23:21 PM

Am I missing something? How do you move the camera with WASD?
nee
26 Jul 2016, 00:22 AM

I rather an option to just assign any key to any command. So if you wan WASD, then you can get it. Any other personal tweak would be possible as well.

But no, it's always got to be the money. Ironically.
26 Jul 2016, 01:12 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I just use gridkeys and the minimap, looking at all these keybindings and wondering how people use this shit makes my head hurt :s
26 Jul 2016, 03:51 AM

Abstained from vote because Arrow Keys isn't a listed option.
26 Jul 2016, 04:24 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Am I missing something? How do you move the camera with WASD?

Autohotkey or any other program which lets you alter the keybindings.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★