Login

russian armor

Why Ostheer is currently not much fun in my opinion

PAGES (7)down
11 May 2016, 14:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2016, 12:13 PMBlalord

And get counter sniped mins later

Yeah. No.

Step 1: Get early sniper -> Force brit off their fuel.
Step 2: Rush 222 and laugh as the Brit player is has no way of countering it because they don't have snares and can only produce a timely AEC if they have had fuel control; which they hadn't because you made an early game sniper. Rush double 222s for extra fun.
11 May 2016, 17:22 PM

Yeah. No.

Step 1: Get early sniper -> Force brit off their fuel.
Step 2: Rush 222 and laugh as the Brit player is has no way of countering it because they don't have snares and can only produce a timely AEC if they have had fuel control; which they hadn't because you made an early game sniper. Rush double 222s for extra fun.

Just to give an argument to your words, I did exactly what you explain here and it works. Replay on Semoisky
15 May 2016, 05:03 AM

Btw i am not saying 222 does not need a little cost increase, i am just argumenting that ost sniper against Brit is not obvious as against USF

Does anyone know if a 222 increase is coming w/ the May balance preview? I find it frustrating that the 222 meta right now makes the LT more or less pointless / suicide as USF, and especially since they're removing the Zooks from Captain. Not to mention their performance against UKF...
15 May 2016, 20:17 PM

Kind of a side-post from the original topic so pardon me about that, but it surprises me to see Osts having problems against the UKF early and mid games. I would have thought the late game would be more challenging to deal with if anything. Speaking from a UKF point of view (and don't have the "cancer regiment" you guys are complaining about fyi):

Two mortars, which aren't a bad idea to get in the matchup anyway since UKF infantry like long range and rely on being static, will take out a mortar emplacement safely and fairly quickly when you park them next to a halftrack which likewise is a good unit to have anyway. Sappers + mortar pit cost only somewhat less manpower than 2 mortars + halftrack, and whenever he uses brace you are free to temporarily retarget one of your mortars while the other one keeps bombing to threaten a squad wipe if he tries to repair. The Ost mortar's high rof and not so high accuracy actually helps in this regard, because the sappers could be repairing from anywhere so you get a lot of shells that scatter around to catch them.

Fast aec is no big deal, it's not like getting caught by a luchs or t70 since it's almost useless against infantry. Yes it can scout and get the occasional pick-off but it costs nearly 400 manpower and some fuel to get one out so you're still fine in a strategic sense. Imo the worst thing you can do against it is make a pak, because that off-sets the resources the put into making it that he now doesn't have for weapon racks/grenades/call-ins/mortar pit/sniper.

And that's the key to dealing with the rest of that. UKF doesn't have the manpower to field everything simultaneously if you keep the game at an active pace and have a good sense of timing/game awareness. The spot to hit them at is the transition between early and mid game, when they have to choose what to make and are at their most vulnerable.
15 May 2016, 21:51 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Never since the faction's first release has the AEC not performed against infantry in one way or another.
15 May 2016, 22:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 May 2016, 21:51 PMwouren

Never since the faction's first release has the AEC not performed against infantry in one way or another.

Like I said it does get the occasional snipe but by no means is it an AI vehicle right now.
15 May 2016, 22:59 PM

tl;dr
T3 and T4 will receive a buff - less MP and significantly less fuelcosts soon as WH
15 May 2016, 23:05 PM

Hey if teller mines actually reliably exploded and hurt vehicles, that'd be nice.

Can't tell you how many times I've baited an enemy tank into tellers only to have them explode for 0.

ive seen the same with the schuhmine from the OKW just yesterday, i thought its a relict from the past. i thought.
16 May 2016, 00:10 AM

Hey if teller mines actually reliably exploded and hurt vehicles, that'd be nice.

Can't tell you how many times I've baited an enemy tank into tellers only to have them explode for 0.

It usually happens when you place tellers on sloping surface.
As a workaround I would suggest to pay attention to ground eleveation and place them of clearly flat ground

16 May 2016, 02:33 AM

I don't use grens, I either go heavy support weapons with HT, or I go storm troopers.

Grens are top squishy. Vet 3 grens dying to a motor round. Or a stray bullet. Naaa

EDIT: MOTAR
16 May 2016, 03:26 AM

Agreed.. ever since western armies came out its such a pain to play as Ost.. Especially in 1v1. In 2v2 and up ill say they are fine.
16 May 2016, 04:10 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I don't use grens, I either go heavy support weapons with HT, or I go storm troopers.

Grens are top squishy. Vet 3 grens dying to a motor round. Or a stray bullet. Naaa

EDIT: MOTAR

Third time's the charm, I believe in you :p
16 May 2016, 15:11 PM

I don't want to sound biased, but I bought myself the British faction about a week ago when it was on humble sale for 3,50€.

I proceeded to play 1v1 and 2v2 as Brits (with USF premade and also random mates) and I honestly have to say...

As a (ex- ?) Axis fanboy, playing as Allies, especially Brits is such a charm. You need a shit ton less micro and your troops aren't wiped by RNG bullshit nearly as often as when playing Ostheer. I can decide what to play (AEC, heavy IS + PaK, Bofors, etc...) and don't have to simply react to my opponent.

In 2v2, I don't have to do a lot. I build some IS, an MG, REs and then a AEC/Bofors and Mortars. I camp out until I have enough fuel for a cromwell, while my enemies simply bleed like hell. I don't even have any premium commanders, I don't want to think about how the game would feel with that bullshit emplacement doctrine.

My mate isn't even a pro (nor am I), we had a battle yesterday where he almost lost his whole army multiple times, but we simply won because of Bofors/Mortar denial and RNG bullshit.

TBH I don't know if I'm gonna play Axis in the next time, because it simply is a lot more stressfull. As Brits I somehow can relax while playing and I am not a single bit salty.

Even if I lose I think "Well, that German player was skilled and outplayed me", while when losing as Axis I really often thougth that I was simply betrayed by cheese and RNG.

It was the first time in months that I honestly could say "I enjoy playing Company of Heroes" even when losing. This really was a great feeling.

Just my honest opinion, thank you.

/Edit: Before all the people complain "play against the pros and you will see how Brits feel" - I am no pro, nor do I want to become one. I play CoH for fun and not to get into the top 20. I represent the "middle skilled" player base that plays about 5-10 games or less per week.

Of course you cannot compare my gameplay to a HelpingHans or Jesulin, but keep in mind that I represent about 90% (maybe even more) of the active CoH playerbase.
16 May 2016, 15:26 PM

^ Could your relaxation come from the fact that you feel no pressure to perform with Brits but try really hard with axis? That's what I tend to do.
16 May 2016, 15:40 PM

^ Could your relaxation come from the fact that you feel no pressure to perform with Brits but try really hard with axis? That's what I tend to do.

I know what you mean but probably not. Imo as Axis it is simply way more crucial to make mistakes. As Allied I know that even if I lose a squad, I'm not clearly falling behind. When playing as Ostheer, losing a Grensquad, especially in the early game is almost a death sentence, especially when playing against an aggressive opponent.

I don't put myself in pressure when playing as Axis. I know that I will always be around Rank 300 - 700. If I manage to climb the ladder, it usually means that I'm falling down again. That's how it goes if you don't "train" yourself to become better. I simply find it way more frustrating as Axis because you have to babysit your troops way more. Your troops are somehow more easily wiped in single rounds whereas as Brits I mostly am losing squads because I hit retreat to late or was somewhere else on the map.

As Germans you get Vet 3 wipes by mortar rounds, hidden Bofors and cannot do anything against it. That sucks. In the games as Brits I often thought "Wow, if I was that Ostheer player, I would be so pissed right now", because a Vet 0 mortar simply one shotted a squad. I did not do anything, no micro, no skill, it was just a mortar I build, killing a gren squad in green cover, fighting my Infantry Section that was down to 2 men. The grens were clearly winning and I would have retreated a few seconds after. That is bad game design and shouldn't happen. Also when crushing their troops with the Cromwell. I could continue this list forever.

Losing squads as Brits feels like deserved whereas losing squads as Germans is way more often bad luck and cheese, simply because it is pretty often not your obvious fault. If I lose a whole squad to a rifle nade it is well played from my opponent, but losing a 240MP + 60 Mun full health Vet 3 Gren Squad to a Vet 0 mortar round is bullshit and everything but deserved.
16 May 2016, 18:00 PM

really not seeing any sense in those walls of text

brits don't suffer cheesy wipes? I must be wearing blinkers as IS are dependent on clumping up in cover to actually shell out any DPS, which usually=cheesy wipes from single mortar/LEIG/rifle nades

emplacement spam and non-DLC commanders can only get you so high in the leaderboard, I would say most sub 500 players know how to counter a bofors (just ignore it)
16 May 2016, 18:24 PM

I know what you mean but probably not. Imo as Axis it is simply way more crucial to make mistakes. As Allied I know that even if I lose a squad, I'm not clearly falling behind. When playing as Ostheer, losing a Grensquad, especially in the early game is almost a death sentence, especially when playing against an aggressive opponent.

This is a myth.

Ostheer has the easiest comeback doctrine in the game: Mechanized assault.
16 May 2016, 19:13 PM

This is a myth.

Gee, you wouldn't happen to have any replays/videos of mech assault being used in 1v1, would you? I've been trying to find some for ages. Despite being one of the most used doctrines I just don't seem to witness anyone picking it.
16 May 2016, 19:14 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

Like I said it does get the occasional snipe but by no means is it an AI vehicle right now.

I had this in a table at first, but I closed the tab to restart and I don't really have the energy to remake it.

Here are some stats for damage against a normal piece of armor 1 target size 1 infantry:

AEC: 18.9 near - 11.26 far
UC: 9.44 near - 9.35 far
Utility Car: 22.73 near - 3.17 far
222: 20.85 near - 3.92 far

Q.E.D. mothafockaaaaassss
16 May 2016, 19:41 PM

This is a myth.

Premium Commander, not everyone (including me) has it.
No insult to you, but I do not accept strategies that can only be played by a small amount of players.
It's the same with Osttruppen. Very viable against UKF, of course, but sadly not available for each and everyone.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 90

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment