Login

russian armor

M3A1 Scout car

10 May 2016, 10:19 AM

What about giving the M3A1 some ability to actually scale into the late-game through the support role? It's not going to be on the front-line after the first 5 minutes and it's not that strong in counter-harassment, so give it something else.

I've experimented in the CE mod where you pay munitions to give it an ambulance healing aura so Soviets can choose to pay munitions rather than MP for healing, but there are plenty of other ways. Maybe some sort of stationary camo for scouting, mobile repairs, maybe have Kubel mini-map hack, etc, etc.

Sounds interesting
11 May 2016, 05:10 AM

What about giving the M3A1 some ability to actually scale into the late-game through the support role? It's not going to be on the front-line after the first 5 minutes and it's not that strong in counter-harassment, so give it something else.

I've experimented in the CE mod where you pay munitions to give it an ambulance healing aura so Soviets can choose to pay munitions rather than MP for healing, but there are plenty of other ways. Maybe some sort of stationary camo for scouting, mobile repairs, maybe have Kubel mini-map hack, etc, etc.

This plz, currently most SU vet ability are uselss compared to new factions, give it some late game utility would be nice.
11 May 2016, 05:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd be satisfied with a bit better vet so it can fend off infantry without having to be repaired every time it faces an LMG (a bit of range so it's easier to kite handheld AT without less constant micro would be to my taste), but that works too.
11 May 2016, 06:56 AM

Why not letting snipers back in again :snfPeter:

nee
11 May 2016, 08:46 AM

Utility based abilities does sound interesting, hell it's interesting if applied to several units in the game.
Healing aura upgrade sounds nice, though it does sort of defeat the HQ medics ability, which only cost manpower and does not require any micromanagement besides retreating squad and wait to heal.

I don't know about camouflage though, it would just bring the same problems as cloaked Rak taking flags.
Maybe if it was something like ability to toggle itself to hull-down, and be able to convert to a makeshift pillbox using troops garrisoned inside. While it's not much superior to Conscripts' sandbags, it doesn't rely on a combat unit to build, acivates much faster, and can be untoggled to redeploy elsewhere and help shift the front lines with its mobility; it's two MGs alone also helps deter attackers that try to, say, ninja-cap a VP flag.
The problem with that and any other idea is that M3A1 is a light vehicle, so if you make this or other abilities a vet1 unlock, it will only ever see the light of day one out of a hundred 1v1 games.
11 May 2016, 08:48 AM

BA-60 is a bit too op I think, it's better than 222 in every way

Like greyhound and M-20?

I like the ideas of customizing M3 later on though, would definitely get it if it could become repair station.
11 May 2016, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2016, 08:48 AMKatitof

Like greyhound and M-20?

I like the ideas of customizing M3 later on though, would definitely get it if it could become repair station.

Soviets already have mobile repair station in form of plain engineers.
Building immobile repair station for muni is doctrinal ability of particular commander.
I don't think that it is needed.

What Soviets lack is forward healing.
11 May 2016, 11:32 AM

Soviets already have mobile repair station in form of plain engineers.
Building immobile repair station for muni is doctrinal ability of particular commander.
I don't think that it is needed.

Ah engineers!
Why no one thought of that before!

That solve all sov and ost "repair options fallen far behind" problems instantly!

Just check mechanized company in AA for reference.

What Soviets lack is forward healing.

I disagree with that.

Might lead to too much field presence, M5 is all that is needed here.

On the other hand, M3A1 ambulance is actually historically accurate.

There was also a command vehicle M3A1 version.

Still, biggest concern for both sov and ost is lack of repair options/slow repairs in comparison to, well, any other army that gets armor back to the field in no time.
11 May 2016, 11:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2016, 11:32 AMKatitof

I disagree with that.

Might lead to too much field presence, M5 is all that is needed here.

On the other hand, M3A1 ambulance is actually historically accurate.

I don't think of it as an issue if it's solely healing and not reinforcing. It feels just stupid when you have to retreat your troops even though you have an M5.
11 May 2016, 12:00 PM

I don't think of it as an issue if it's solely healing and not reinforcing. It feels just stupid when you have to retreat your troops even though you have an M5.

This.

More reasons to build T1 instead of (in addition to?) T2.

Actually I had another idea about Soviet healing.
14 May 2016, 20:48 PM

Permanently Banned
It is the only AC capable of wiping retreating units. It also snipes 1-2 grens with each burst. And it arrives 5 minutes earlier than a 222, and is the cheapest flamethrower in game. If anything, it's moving accuracy should be nerfed to the ground.

What else do you want.
14 May 2016, 20:53 PM

It is the only AC capable of wiping retreating units. It also snipes 1-2 grens with each burst. And it arrives 5 minutes earlier than a 222, and is the cheapest flamethrower in game. If anything, it's moving accuracy should be nerfed to the ground.

What else do you want.

14 May 2016, 21:04 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Actually I had another idea about Soviet healing.

I say yes because all of my crawlers that I can do nothing about breaks my heart :guyokay:
14 May 2016, 21:50 PM

Nothing wrong with the m20.

it got a bit power creeped with the soviet sniper weaker then the ost sniper and penals being shit.

with the penal buff and the fact you can backtech to tier 2 you will see a lot more m3's running around.

Reminds of the glory days where captain rollo would spam the shit out of the m3
14 May 2016, 21:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2016, 20:53 PMKatitof

have you ever considered responding in a normal way to a post you don't agree with or are you in a permanent snide asshat mode?
14 May 2016, 21:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2016, 21:53 PMZyllen

have you ever considered responding in a normal way to a post you don't agree with or are you in a permanent snide asshat mode?

Sure, but not to mad people with ridiculous claims.
Hux
14 May 2016, 22:58 PM
Patrion 14

The M3 does not need healing cabilities, I don't think.

its capabilities should revolve around its ability to be a highly mobile support unit that can move all over the map, not locking a single point of it down for blobs to retreat to.
nee
14 May 2016, 23:06 PM

Maybe it can get an upgrade to repair nearby vehicles when out of combat, like the M3 halftrack from Ardennes Assault? It can be unlocked after building T3, and removes transport and/ or machine guns as a drawback.
It'd still be a light vehicle but can actually be of use when tanks are out. And like other repair abilities only vehicles not in combat get repaired when nearby. Very useful when no engineers are around, yet not so durable that a smart enemy would just try to headshot it worth some panzergrenadiers or a tank rush. By the time you've got tanks you'd want something to help them out besides engineers, which may be doing other things like taking points.

Only real problem is that Soviets have the most doctrinal choices for repairing vehicles.

As for ambulance being historical, that's nice but irrelevant due to the fact that HQ has medics, and it would encourage USF style blobbing.

Late-game camo unlock wouldn't be bad either, especially in that stage you'll have lots of AT that would easily wipe it out, and the camo could toggle off mobility and shooting, it would then be what it's named for: a scout car. I'd still take a T-70 over that, however, at least the latter has better armour, gun, speed and overall utility.
14 May 2016, 23:09 PM

How bout a camo/steal feature and make it a car used for scouting?

Utility would be preferably to combat stats for me anyway. Give it a nice big sight range while sitting still/hiding and the ability to gtfo should something scary come along. After the early game is done if it survives you've got a nice little scout for your ATguns/etc.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★