Login

russian armor

Recon Company // Mechanized Company

6 May 2016, 10:38 AM

Do something about them, PLEASE

Greyhound has been nerfed to uselessness - my solution? Move canister shot to vet 1 and rebuff it to its original state. That way the greyhound has to do some work prior to using this ability, and this ability will make him a feared anti-infantry force on the battlefield, once vet 1 is achieved.

IR pathfinders need some extra uses or flavour too, currently theyre only ever used for their, frankly great, artillery strike. Radio beacons serve no purpose aside from giving you some intel, as paratroopers are way too costly to call in.

Paratroopers? 2 paratroopers (random weapons) and 1 unmanned AT gun costs you a whopping 900 MP. I really dont know who can afford to float like that - and the product you get for spending these is a bad joke to say the least.

Also fix the bugs (if they havent been already) associated with this commander, such as the Forward Observers bug, in which the bonus only applies to the original members of the rifleman squad.

Regarding Mech Company, buff the WC51 in some way (to match its ridiculous 20 fuel cost). Also, either HP buff the M3 halftrack (it literally is made from cardboard) or replace this call in with a cavalry riflemen call in, as seen in Ardennes Assault.

Mech Company really is fine besides that, it only is lacking in its signature commander call in units.

The preview is still running, and these changes wouldnt be too hard to implement, yet finally refresh the USF meta status quo.

Got any other changes? Agree? Disagree? You can even hate me for no reason if you want to.

6 May 2016, 10:55 AM

wasnt the forward observers bug fixed in the engine update?
6 May 2016, 11:28 AM

I agree the Recon Support needs a buff. Change the IR Pathfinders to be more like Airborne and make the Paratrooper call in actually useful somehow. Buffing the M8 is also good, but I don't think Canister Shot is the answer. That ability is cancer and always will be. Anyone remember the Stuart from CoH1? *shudders* My suggestion would be to improve the main gun penetration so it is more effective against other light vehicles.

Mechanized company is actually pretty good though. The WC51 is really, really good and any buff would push it over the top. I think the solution to the M3 call in would just be to change it to an M5 and increase the cost appropriately. That way, the transport would actually be good for something.
6 May 2016, 11:33 AM

I agree the Recon Support needs a buff. Change the IR Pathfinders to be more like Airborne and make the Paratrooper call in actually useful somehow. Buffing the M8 is also good, but I don't think Canister Shot is the answer. That ability is cancer and always will be. Anyone remember the Stuart from CoH1? *shudders* My suggestion would be to improve the main gun penetration so it is more effective against other light vehicles.

Mechanized company is actually pretty good though. The WC51 is really, really good and any buff would push it over the top. I think the solution to the M3 call in would just be to change it to an M5 and increase the cost appropriately. That way, the transport would actually be good for something.

that would make it a cheaper stuart. sadly nothing more. canister shot isnt cancer, in contrary, it adds some flavour and spice to the unit. i would take that over bland stats any day.
6 May 2016, 11:39 AM

that would make it a cheaper stuart. sadly nothing more. canister shot isnt cancer, in contrary, it adds some flavour and spice to the unit. i would take that over bland stats any day.

I disagree. Firstly, it being a cheap Stuart isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would still be unique in that it would create additional strategies and teching options because it fills a niche for USF (currently, there's a big gap between the M20 and the Stuart which the AAHT doesn't really fill). As for canister shot, I kinda have to assume you weren't playing much of the game before it was nerfed. Seriously, Relic changed it for a reason. People would just wait, call in 2-3 M8s and then ride around getting guaranteed squadwipes on Grens and other small, bunched up squads. Absolute bullshit.
6 May 2016, 11:41 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Just shamelessly gonna advertise my mod here. It reworks some commanders, including these two.

Recon:
0CP: Forward Observers
1CP: M1 81mm Mortar Team
240MP, four men, same stats as the Soviet PM-41. White Phosphorous barrage at Vet 1.
4CP: Recon Sweep
5CP: M8 Greyhound
Comes with armored skirts, gun from the Stuart, pintle MG from the M20. Slightly increased armor and health. Increased cost to 280/50 and population to 8.
8CP: 155mm Artillery Barrage
This is the same that is normally available on IR Pathfinders and in Mechanized Company.

Mechanized:
0CP: Assault Engineers
Cost increased to 300. Now has five men. Damage on Grease Guns decreased from 4 to 3,2.
1CP: Dodge WC51
MG has the same stats as on the M20. Slightly increased armor and HP. Population increased from 5 to 6.
2CP: Withdraw and Refit
10CP: M4A3(76)W Sherman Command Tank
Costs 380/150. Has the same stats as a normal M4A3, but has +20 sight range, can't change ammo and has a larger gun with better armor penetration. All nearby allied vehicles have their accuracy increased by 20%. Can call in a targeted P-47 rocket strafe.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635567216
6 May 2016, 11:49 AM

I disagree. Firstly, it being a cheap Stuart isn't necessarily a bad thing. It would still be unique in that it would create additional strategies and teching options because it fills a niche for USF (currently, there's a big gap between the M20 and the Stuart which the AAHT doesn't really fill). As for canister shot, I kinda have to assume you weren't playing much of the game before it was nerfed. Seriously, Relic changed it for a reason. People would just wait, call in 2-3 M8s and then ride around getting guaranteed squadwipes on Grens and other small, bunched up squads. Absolute bullshit.

I have been here since CoH1 and release, dont worry. Regarding canister shot, thats why I would move it to vet 1, to both retain strength and prevent mindless abuse, keeping the unit unique and validated for being a doctrinal unit. A cheaper stuart would be just boring.
6 May 2016, 11:53 AM

Canister shot was bad. That being said, the Greyhound and the commander(s) do need some love IMO.
6 May 2016, 11:58 AM

It's in recon company right? Maybe give it really good sight range, sniper detection and a decent offmap arty strike ability
6 May 2016, 12:02 PM

When you know a single 222 kills without problem any M8 and see their cost/time to hit the field...
6 May 2016, 13:09 PM

To be fair I think the Canister Shot gib-fest was prior to the squad spacing fix... I don't think it would be *as* bad now but something does need to be done about the Greyhound
6 May 2016, 14:38 PM
6 May 2016, 15:03 PM

Rename the Jeep w/.50 cal to Jeep w/.30 cal

Add 20 muni upgrade for a .50 cal for extra damage.

Replace Combat Airdrop with a OKW falls paradrop assault reskin with a single vet 1 Paratrooper dropping down after a few P40 strafes at 6 CP for 150 Munitions, 200 Manpower.
6 May 2016, 15:15 PM

Recon company needs a fix for the last ability. 900mp is far too much for it to be useful in any way.

Mechanised company is fine. I would personally the M3 with assault engineers be an M5 with assault engineers at 4cp or something. These half track with infantry callins simply cost too much manpower, and some bulk discount needs to be given to make it viable.

Withdraw a WC51 the second they get Schrecks and it costs 60mp, 5 fuel, and whatever upkeep cost is.
6 May 2016, 17:46 PM
Patrion 27

OP

Trust me, this thread will die quickly. Mine did.
nee
6 May 2016, 18:57 PM

Recon:
0CP: Forward Observers
1CP: M1 81mm Mortar Team
240MP, four men, same stats as the Soviet PM-41. White Phosphorous barrage at Vet 1.
5CP: M8 Greyhound
Comes with armored skirts, gun from the Stuart, pintle MG from the M20. Slightly increased armor and health. Increased cost to 280/50 and population to 8.
8CP: 155mm Artillery Barrage
This is the same that is normally available on IR Pathfinders and in Mechanized Company.

I still disagree with some points, but I also cannot deny that this form is far superior to the original. The airborne gimmicks are taken out, and replaced with some generalist, practical abilities.
Both AI issues and preview patch eliminates the mortar team though, maybe bring back IR Pathfinders, where their unique flavour is they can spawn from ambient buildings? They can have a version of beacons that not only lets airborne stuff drop in tighter radius but has much larger sight range to serve a recon role; this commander no longer has any paradrops so that's meant to compensate. The IR Pathfinders retain their 155mm call in, but its cooldown can be global and linked with the off-map one so you cannot spam the ability.
Some more ideas on revamping IR Pathfinders: they can call in paradrop for 1x BAR + Bazookas for 50% increased cost (ie 150 munitions instead of running back to base and saving 50), would serve as good support role for regular units.
Greyhound performed too powerful and therefore a bit too similar to Stuart. Maybe instead of coming with pintle, it can be an upgrade where you choose to have an observer to call down something (like decoy barrage or T-70's observer toggle or even a "Forward Capture" toggle that allows taking sectors without having to debark the crew), or the classic MG. Similar to how Elite Armoured Doctrine's Panzer Commander works.
Another simpler idea is to just let M20s upgrade to Greyhound variant for a small munitions cost, everything else stays as-is.

Mechanized:
0CP: Assault Engineers
Cost increased to 300. Now has five men. Damage on Grease Guns decreased from 4 to 3,2.
1CP: Dodge WC51
MG has the same stats as on the M20. Slightly increased armor and HP. Population increased from 5 to 6.
2CP: Withdraw and Refit
10CP: M4A3(76)W Sherman Command Tank
Costs 380/150. Has the same stats as a normal M4A3, but has +20 sight range, can't change ammo and has a larger gun with better armor penetration. All nearby allied vehicles have their accuracy increased by 20%. Can call in a targeted P-47 rocket strafe.
I still prefer if it has M3 with Assault Engineers, and the first call-in are Cav Riflemen, plus halftrack gets that repair ability that was from the AA campaign; that might forego the need for Assault Engineers from a repair perspective. Some mods have that featured. I also think this should retain the 155mm off-map.

Anyhow the ideas are not my personal favorites, but I have to say they are still better than the originals.
nee
6 May 2016, 19:01 PM

Trust me, this thread will die quickly. Mine did.
If you want people to comment on your thread, ask. Don't act like a martyr about how it didn't work out, it's not even locked.
7 May 2016, 00:07 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post6 May 2016, 19:01 PMnee
If you want people to comment on your thread, ask. Don't act like a martyr about how it didn't work out, it's not even locked.

What I meant was: there isn't much support for these changes by the community or lelic since the commanders seem throwaway to begin with.
7 May 2016, 00:14 AM

900 mp for 3 paras will be a good upgrade to this commander
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
unknown 25
Peru 20
United Kingdom 201
Germany 34
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #