Anti air to powerful?
Option Distribution Votes
57%
7%
36%
Total votes: 28
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
11 Apr 2016, 20:33 PM

We have all hade it happen to us you call in a rocket strike or whatever and the enemy has really bunched up thiere tanks and then a pintel mount or base AA gun shoots it down, GG then you rage quit.

On the other hand we all have the painful memorys of the soviet 23 cannon who wiped squads instatly before you could react.

I feel that the pintel mounts and the base AA guns (for okw) is a bit to effective at shooting down planes and the airplanes are a bit to inconsitent but i also feel that the AA positions and vehicles should be really good at shooting down the enemys planes and mabye that thiere should be some more options for doing that.

what are youre 2 cents on the matter
11 Apr 2016, 20:43 PM

The problem is that they made AA units completely RNG dependent with each shot having X% chance of taking down a plain. This can lead to ridiculous results such as a top gunner taking out a recon run with 1 burst, or a M5 quadmount not taking down a plane while shooting 2 thousand rounds up in the air.

They should just give planes hitpoints.
11 Apr 2016, 20:44 PM

AA is not overpowered, just inconsistent.

IIRC each shot fired has a chance to take down a plane, making rapid shooting guns, like the M5 AA HT, more potent than their more expensive counterparts.
11 Apr 2016, 20:45 PM

For the most part its okay for vehicles.

OKW Flak HT (the vehicle), Ostwind, USF AA HT, Etc. are all vehicles that come with a trade-off and are hard countered by tanks. Many of them aren't regularly built and should be effective at AA if built. The ONE exception to this I might argue against is the 222 scout car with is A) Cheap as hell B) OST has Ostwind as well. The Autocannon used to be a Munitions upgrade too - which at least justified the the AA ability in the past - now you could argue about nerfing it since its free.

There was an old thread on here that I can't find about OKW's T4 building's Anti-air ability... I tended to agree with the side that argued for either nerfing it OR making it a side-upgrade. I think it's pretty stupid that you get a great AA building just for teching up seeing as how it invalidates expensive airstrikes.
11 Apr 2016, 20:46 PM

Actually, from what I can remember the stat gurus have said, AA units performance is all over the place, with some half-tracks that actually have 'AA' in the name being significantly worse than pintle MG's and the like.
11 Apr 2016, 20:47 PM

AA is not overpowered, just inconsistent.

IIRC each shot fired has a chance to take down a plane, making rapid shooting guns, like the M5 AA HT, more potent than their more expensive counterparts.

The M5 quad is actually quite bad at AA from my experience. I think each shot has a very low chance to take down the plane.

Ostwind seems to be the best.
11 Apr 2016, 20:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2016, 20:41 PMKatitof
lol, now we've seen it all

Ever seen a purple carrot?
11 Apr 2016, 20:50 PM

The M5 quad is actually quite bad at AA from my experience. I think each shot has a very low chance to take down the plane.

Maybe, I'm honestly not really sure about it's actual performance as I rarely build it and get the chance to use it against aircraft.

Ostwind is quite potent indeed, but to me it seems that the bofors is the best one. Lost so many recons during their first approach getting shot from all over the map :(

11 Apr 2016, 20:57 PM

well as far as i can remember as soon as the m5 gets it to shoot down a plane it gains insane xp but i m not sure about that, its been a while..
11 Apr 2016, 21:03 PM

Ok then you have seen everything i guess
11 Apr 2016, 21:18 PM

The M5 is horrid at shooting down planes. The AA HT is reliable.

Most Axis AA units (ost, flak ht, flak truck) are pretty reliable. The OKW Flak truck is too reliable. It's a waste of muni to send any plane in orbit near/over the Flak truck.
11 Apr 2016, 21:37 PM

Purple carrots are delicious.

Also, I feel that AA should be either more reliable, or predictable in their function.

IMO, AA should work like Sector Artillery and such. By which I mean AA vehicles or emplacements (I'm looking at you OKW base flaks) only operate as AA on planes going through their sector.

By extension, more control over where planes originate from would be preferable to avoid crossing into certain sectors, etc.
11 Apr 2016, 21:48 PM

I voted they are fine, but I think what needs some tweaking is the OH/SU airstriJesus

They have a lot of loiter timing compared to the new factions. Specifically talking about the AI straffs.

Not sure if this is right on paper but if I remember correctly it is. Could be wrong
12 Apr 2016, 01:37 AM

I think that they are *mostly* fine. It has always annoyed me though how the OKW gets an automatic AA gun with their T4. I also agree with the suggestion that planes should have health (as long as that is easy/doesn't break anything... which it probably will). It would make it more consistent at the very least.
12 Apr 2016, 04:45 AM

the best i see it Flak HT from OKW, I see it shot down plane all the time and very fast, I think because it have same chance for each shot as Ostwind, but fire way faster.
12 Apr 2016, 04:51 AM

The problem is that they made AA units completely RNG dependent with each shot having X% chance of taking down a plain. This can lead to ridiculous results such as a top gunner taking out a recon run with 1 burst, or a M5 quadmount not taking down a plane while shooting 2 thousand rounds up in the air.

They should just give planes hitpoints.

I like the variability, personally. It makes people think a little before they press the plane button since it could end up doing nothing. As the player with AA it feels fine either way since you either get lucky or you kill it a little bit later. Pretty rare for it to get the full effect without dying.

What I don't like is how poorly distributed AA is among the factions. Axis seem to get very no brainer AA options, while Allies have to consciously pursue it. (And dumb things like Bofors is crap at AA because of its bad rotation, even if it should be good) This makes some sense since Allies have offensive plane abilities while Axis by and large don't except for a couple of strafing runs, but this just makes said strafing runs that much more powerful.

I wouldn't mind this so much if blizzards were still a mechanic (which prevented plane abilities from being used) but since cold tech was nuked anti-air has become more important than ever.
12 Apr 2016, 15:16 PM

AA has always been weird in this game. Used to be awful for soviets in vanilla because other than the m5 quad, IS2, and ISU they had nothing while just about everything from T3 up for ostheer could bring down a plane.

I also have a massive issue with every kind of loiter call in since the start as they were either blatantly overpowered and did all your work for 200muni, or just gave very expensive recon before crashing into your own guys. I would love to see all of these abilities replaced with their single line, skill dependent counterparts.

As for how AA is currently behaving, the randomness is what bothers me the most. M5 quads for USF and soviets are just plain bad, while ostwinds(especially hulldown vet 2) and sdkfz 251/17 can do some serious work. I think if its possible to add health to planes that would probably bring AA units more in line with each other
12 Apr 2016, 21:00 PM

Ostwinds change their weapon actually at vet 2, at least as far as AA is concerned. At vet 2 Ostwinds (hulldown or no) are designed to snipe planes like crazy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★