Login

russian armor

Wipe fai-safe mechanic

11 Apr 2016, 16:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2016, 12:25 PMKatitof

No need to link me vid.
I'm the guy who does balance similar kind of randomness in games actually.

There is balance, there is immersion, there is what makes sense to happen and what not.

Thing is to gauge how often these most unpleasent things happen and evaluate from there, the cause, frequency and so on.

ISU of old was best example. That thing wiped reliably full health squads, so it was nerfed numerous times.
It still wipes squads, but not nearly as often as it used to. It should do it, because it would look silly for a gun like this not to wipe on perfect score and this is what you're suggesting.

There are only few units able to one shot full health squad, even less if we don't consider squad clumping, but since squads still do clump, this is your cause for the wipes, not the weapons themselves and that should be fixed, not artificial nerfs or counter logical buffs for a problem that can be fixed with squad spacing fixes.

Just because you "work" for some budget-less no-name student indie startup doesn't make you experienced, knowledgeable or relevant in anyway at all. You should watch the video.

PS: I love kids who call themselves "balance designers" and "game developers" because they can open up Unity3D.
11 Apr 2016, 16:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2016, 16:41 PMpugzii

Just because you "work" for some budget-less no-name student indie startup doesn't make you experienced, knowledgeable or relevant in anyway at all. You should watch the video.

Its actually one of biggest EU publishers with titles that pretty much everyone heard about, but thanks for care :snfPeter:

PS: I love kids who call themselves "balance designers" and "game developers" because they can open up Unity3D.

Beats hot air breathers, who believe their opinion is valid if they repeat it often and loud enough :romeoMug:
11 Apr 2016, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2016, 16:49 PMKatitof

Its actually one of biggest EU publishers with titles that pretty much everyone heard about, but thanks for care :snfPeter:

Beats hot air breathers, who believe their opinion is valid if they repeat it often and loud enough :romeoMug:

Your a game balancer for a publisher?! How does that work?
11 Apr 2016, 17:04 PM

1) Like vCOH, no early squad at full health should be wiped by any ability. I'm talking mainly about the bullshit that is mines in this game.

2) If such abilities exist, they should be mitigated by going into cover just like vCOH. Instead, going into cover actually causes wipes because the way the game "stickies" units into clumps near certain cover places on maps. This started in the patch 2 years ago that supposedly fixed unit cover but made unit movement on rails and harder to micro.

None of this will ever happen. Relic is so grossly incompetent and lacking in any deep understanding of the game.

The biggest problem with wipes is really the awful game performance and the bad matchmaking that puts you with people that often have 1 second+ ping. That plus the awful input lag already built into the game makes for unplayable, frustrating games.

When you have an RNG-laden game full of abilities that wipe in a second while your units only respond in 2 seconds, that's going to be incredibly frustrating.
11 Apr 2016, 17:07 PM

11 Apr 2016, 17:16 PM

Squad wipes are part of the game.

Chances are if you get wiped it's because of your own mistake. Not having sweepers, not listening for mortars and moving out of the way, letting infantry face down a sturmtiger or whatever.

It has been the same whining since day one. (Mortars are OP!)

Seems like you don't read the post I only meant full squad wipe not " wewe I over extended my men 4 volks and they got wiped plos neff Lelic "
Mortar can wipe entire squad on yellow cover with one shoot no time to move that's what I want to remove
11 Apr 2016, 17:18 PM

Seems like you don't read the post I only meant full squad wipe not " wewe I over extended my men 4 volks and they got wiped plos neff Lelic "
Mortar can wipe entire squad on yellow cover with one shoot no time to move that's what I want to remove

I know exactly what you fucking mean.

Every single squad wipe can be predicted and is probably your fault. Sometimes you get unlucky like "i tried to dodge but then I got unlucky" but 9 times out of 10 it's due to negligence.

You can HEAR THE MORTAR SHOOTING. You should not be standing still when it is. Especially behind cover where you will get wiped.
11 Apr 2016, 18:22 PM

I know exactly what you fucking mean.

Every single squad wipe can be predicted and is probably your fault. Sometimes you get unlucky like "i tried to dodge but then I got unlucky" but 9 times out of 10 it's due to negligence.

You can HEAR THE MORTAR SHOOTING. You should not be standing still when it is. Especially behind cover where you will get wiped.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but from the fear of wipe I retreat full squad the moment I see a tank
:foreveralone:And the 120 ml hurts
Ps:why swear ? We are civil people no need to insult
11 Apr 2016, 19:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yellow cover = bad against explosives. You should know the risk involved when facing infantry who can use nades, there's a tank around or indirect fire can be used.

We don't need safe mechanics against wipes, more like fixing squads formations when moving.

#Fallslivesmatter
11 Apr 2016, 21:40 PM

Why is it no surprise to see people claiming that wiping full 340MP, 120muni squad with a 30 muni mine is a legitimate part of a game and the faction in question is designed to have all its units being accompanied by 200MP 35 unit at all times...
11 Apr 2016, 21:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2016, 16:56 PMpugzii

Your a game balancer for a publisher?! How does that work?

Now I know why most games have a awful balance, their game balancer have thousands of posts in other games forum which they dont even play :sibPheasant:
11 Apr 2016, 22:30 PM
Donator 11

Now I know why most games have a awful balance, their game balancer have thousands of posts in other games forum which they dont even play :sibPheasant:

At least he likes what he does, if one can be ballance designer in one game at work and then come back home just to talk about other game ballance he must really enjoy screwing those games up :D
12 Apr 2016, 00:22 AM

I have said for a long time that there should be a toggle button between loose formation and tight formation....

I think just a looser formation in general would improve the game dramatically and allow Axis to be a lot more playable against allied artillery since that is the side that suffers the worst from squad wipes.
12 Apr 2016, 00:34 AM

To be honest this insta wiping thing is the most annoying thing in the game and by fixing it in some way it will make the game more enjoyable.
I think wiping a vet 3 gren squad should be a reward for good micro by your opponent or punishment for bad micro for you and not a 10 muni trip wire or 30 muni mine you even forget you placed there.
How is mine wiping good for this game ? The guy who places the mine most of the time doesn't even know he wiped a squad, and the other guy need to build a vanilla squad 40 minutes into the game. Yeah, this is how the game is but the purpose is to improve it no ?
For a game where veterancy makes all the difference this insta mine wipes feel out of place.
I honestly think that the developers just CAN"T fix it because of their spaghetti code engine.
12 Apr 2016, 00:45 AM

if you lost a game because one mine wiped one of your squads, you are playing this game wrong, seriously.

squad wipes need to happen or else you will get into stalemates every game.

also, mines are rarely wiping full health squads nowadays, only way to reliably do it is putting them on house doors, but if you walk on one of those mines you deserve to lose your squad.
nee
12 Apr 2016, 02:31 AM

I wouldn't agree to a fail-safe per se, but what one poster says, giving a designated squad leader a bit more hp, would help prevent them from occurring too often. It won't help against a 240mm shell landing on top of them, but it will help against, say, a tank shell or a grenade that's close to the entire squad. And this is of course from full health- a squad with very low health isn't going to prevent a squad wipe, and thus makes medic/ healing more important to squad preservation (and hence also cut down on blobbing?)
All you need to do is take a certain amount of hp from all members of the squad and give it to one squad member so that the latter gets a tad more.
There is even a tactical angle to this: losing a squad leader means your squad is eve more susceptible o squad wiping due to the loss of a high-hp model. Any player that wants to preserve squads would pay attention to that and keep it healed and reinforced as best as practical.
There is of course the issue of balance- larger squads ought not to have similarly more durable leaders than smaller ones.

TLDR: squad wipes should exist, and it should exist due to certain damage thresholds like clumped squads having heavy artillery land on top of them; redistribute a squad's health so one "squad leader" gets a bit more to help preserve. Squad with squad leaders are less susceptible to wiping; those without leaders are more susceptible.
12 Apr 2016, 03:30 AM

I'd rather see improvements to squad spacing while moving and in cover as well as adjustments to explosion profiles than kludges like these.
12 Apr 2016, 13:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd rather see improvements to squad spacing while moving and in cover as well as adjustments to explosion profiles than kludges like these.

Ya huh. Better than squads at 50% health for each man dicking around an ISU-152 and not getting what they deserve for some reason. Plus it's still dumb when a PF/Script squad at 5/6 men stand in a bush and a single medium tank shell kills them all too.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★