Login

russian armor

HOW to FIX MG's in this game

4 Apr 2016, 00:04 AM

Permanently Banned
I will provide what I believe to be simple and effective fixes to the current MG mess based on my approx. 5k hours of playing this game:

ALL MG's:
Decrease travers time on ALL MG's. Blobbing is still an issue in this game, esp vs OKW, and a good way to reward well-microed MG's is to decrease (speed up) traverse time so players can actually engage multiple targets within the cone of fire in a realistic manner. This would also have the added benefit of soft nerfing maxims to a degree since they have the smallest cone of fire.

1) USF .50cal
This needs reduced tear down time. The reason is very simple: nades. I should be able to react to a rifle nade/incid nade without having to retreat. As it currently stands 2 rifle nades gurantee a wipe, and sometimes 1 rifle nade will wipe. Even if you properly spot for your .50 cal and are firing at max range, 2 gren's can still basically walk straight up to these and 1 will definelty get into rifle nade range and possibly wipe your MG. Redcuced tear down will also synergize with the sprint ability allowing to avoid nades and reposition quickly, providing a benefit to players that micro the mg well
2) Maxim
This needs a cost increase to 260 manpower and set up time increase. The days of this being an "inferior" and cheaper MG are long gone, and since the MAIN issue isn't 1 or 2 maxim, but spamming 4+, a logical solution is to increase the cost. since 260 is the standard cost atm for MG, lets put it there.
3) Vickers
PROBABLY BALANCED. At 280 it's the most expensive, and without reduced teardown time vulnerable early game to rifle nades, imo as it should be to make up for the BEAST it becomes at Vet1. Vet1 ability is a bit ridiculous, but that should be your reward for paying 280 manpower, and after these changes, the most vulnerable early game because of long teardown and LESS supporting early game troops (since your infantry sqauds are 280)
4)MG42
PROBABLY BALANCED. 260, great vet 1 ability, no long range rifle nade threat, seems fine as is.
5) MG34
With increased traverse speed, this will probably be balanced as the cheapest MG but requiring commander selection to actually get balancing out it's cheap cost.
4 Apr 2016, 00:20 AM

i still think the 15mp reinforce cost of maxims are problematic too. they trade very efficent due the nature of MGs are very cheap to maintain which results in a big manpower win every engagement
aaa
4 Apr 2016, 00:28 AM

I remember how they increased cost of mg42. They increased price +20. But gave them +60 of starting mp and left reinforce cost the same.
Do that with maxim too plz.
4 Apr 2016, 00:41 AM

Remove the fucking 25% received accuracy nerf they got like 3 years ago. (Unless that was reverted already)

People were bitching "Waaah my units don't kill support weapons fast enough when they flank them" so now everything is made of paper and dies on retreat.
aaa
4 Apr 2016, 00:47 AM

As of maxim i just dont understand how players use them.
Vs oh not viable cuz of snipers and grenades. So i never get single 1.
Vs okw 90% of the games i get 0-1. If i get 2 amxims i wouldnt have enough units vs luchs. There is 80 fuel diff betw luchs and t70. So there is big window when you have to keep it inactive
4 Apr 2016, 00:52 AM

Maxim needs a nerf. It goes back to that relic decision yonks back where they decided 6 man support team crews were a good idea. It's most problematic on maxims and AT Guns.
aaa
4 Apr 2016, 00:53 AM

Remove the fucking 25% received accuracy nerf they got like 3 years ago. (Unless that was reverted already)

People were bitching "Waaah my units don't kill support weapons fast enough when they flank them" so now everything is made of paper and dies on retreat.

Your mg42 spam is an abuse. Such a garbage. And they dont die on retreat unless there are shocks or blob.
4 Apr 2016, 00:55 AM

Maxims aren't really OP. Only change I would like for them is maybe less Courage so they get suppressed/pin quicker than other MG's.

aaa
4 Apr 2016, 01:04 AM

2 maxims per squad upgrade with seperate arcs. Solved
4 Apr 2016, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Maxims aren't really OP. Only change I would like for them is maybe less Courage so they get suppressed/pin quicker than other MG's.

HMGs' suppressed state needs a do-over in general - though Maxims seems to be a special case for still shooting and being a threat even while pinned.
4 Apr 2016, 01:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2016, 01:13 AMVuther

HMGs' suppressed state needs a do-over in general - though Maxims seems to be a special case for still shooting and being a threat even while pinned.

If suppression works the way it did in DoW2, it increases the cooldown on the unit by like 20x.

Maxim has the highest ROF and probably lowest cooldown or whatever so isn't hurt by this as much.

It's dumb because Maxim vs MG42 or vickers maxim always wins hard.
4 Apr 2016, 02:39 AM

3) Vickers
PROBABLY BALANCED. At 280 it's the most expensive, and without reduced teardown time vulnerable early game to rifle nades, imo as it should be to make up for the BEAST it becomes at Vet1. Vet1 ability is a bit ridiculous, but that should be your reward for paying 280 manpower, and after these changes, the most vulnerable early game because of long teardown and LESS supporting early game troops (since your infantry sqauds are 280)

I don't know about this bit. They have terrible suppression, and if even a single volksgrenadier gets within a large range a fast flame nade forces you to relocate. Vet 1 sort of improves that, but only when a building surveys a large open area.
4 Apr 2016, 02:51 AM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2016, 00:47 AMaaa
Vs okw 90% of the games i get 0-1. If i get 2 amxims i wouldnt have enough units not to let luchs annihilete late my squads. There is 80 fuel diff betw luchs and t70. So there is big window when you have to keep it inactive

They're easier to use at lower ranks. I had quite a lot of success around the 300s/400s with Soviets. There's a good way to use Maxims that takes a bit of a while learning but once you've got it down it becomes a lot easier and less stressful to use. I'd usually get 2-3, but no more than three. Couple conscripts, shock troops. If I was able to get both fuels or deny my opponent fuel, I could just skip to T3 and get T70. w/ AT nades Luchs isn't an issue. ZiS is required if the game is about even. Sometimes Su76 is required instead of T70.

Maxims are good support units but there's a reason why you never really see more than two in any single game of Europe's ESL.
4 Apr 2016, 10:01 AM

They're easier to use at lower ranks. I had quite a lot of success around the 300s/400s with Soviets. There's a good way to use Maxims that takes a bit of a while learning but once you've got it down it becomes a lot easier and less stressful to use. I'd usually get 2-3, but no more than three. Couple conscripts, shock troops. If I was able to get both fuels or deny my opponent fuel, I could just skip to T3 and get T70. w/ AT nades Luchs isn't an issue. ZiS is required if the game is about even. Sometimes Su76 is required instead of T70.

Maxims are good support units but there's a reason why you never really see more than two in any single game of Europe's ESL.

Maxim spam is quite common in NA esl
4 Apr 2016, 10:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Apr 2016, 00:47 AMaaa
Vs okw 90% of the games i get 0-1. If i get 2 amxims i wouldnt have enough units not to let luchs annihilete late my squads. There is 80 fuel diff betw luchs and t70. So there is big window when you have to keep it inactive

1vs1 me and i show you how a decent player uses maxims...

Except you know, they are OP.
4 Apr 2016, 11:28 AM

Maxims might be slightly over performing due to low setup time, but soviets just need them to counter OKW early game, Cons are extremely UP against all their units and become more useless as the game goes on, except if you got some upgrades for them, T1 is kinda risky and you need to upgrade all your penals with flamers to make decent use of them, snipers in general are good but they don't work against OKW either, also very map depending.

Cons still need either some stock upgrades or just more accuracy or dmg, I mean they even buffed Volks damage to 12, that is probably one of the reasons Cons are so terrible against them now.
4 Apr 2016, 13:55 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

6 man support teams was flawed when the game was released and its still flawed today.
4 Apr 2016, 14:33 PM

Except you know, they are OP.

Please, they're a shadow of their former glory. As I said, the only problem I have with them is their effectiveness against other MG's. Which has always been ridiculous. I remember back in 2013 I was doing maxim builds and talking about how great they were at beating MG42's and countering grenadiers and no one believed me. They all insisted they were utter shit for months until the meta caught up. Then they got steadily nerfed since then.

They're pretty much fine now, it's entirely a L2P issue.

6 man support teams was flawed when the game was released and its still flawed today.

"Waah muh sniper can't kill them fast enough"

They have 6 men because their weapons are shittier and they don't have the firepower to really defend them as well as other factions do. Their sniper counters are also all in the other tech building as well, whereas everyone else gets more streamlined access to either countersniper or light vehicle.

There are also economic reasons: soviets would bleed way too much manpower if they had 4 men. (Effectively raising reinforcement cost by 50% on maxim/mortar) This might be interesting since you could use Merge to reinforce for cheaper but I'd rather keep the flavour of 6 man squads than turn everyone into the same 4 man MG bullshit.

4 Apr 2016, 14:38 PM

Please, they're a shadow of their former glory. As I said, the only problem I have with them is their effectiveness against other MG's. Which has always been ridiculous. I remember back in 2013 I was doing maxim builds and talking about how great they were at beating MG42's and countering grenadiers and no one believed me. They all insisted they were utter shit for months until the meta caught up. Then they got steadily nerfed since then.

They're pretty much fine now, it's entirely a L2P issue.

Except maxims were buffed since that time. Quite alot actually.

Oh, and i have beaten top 10 players with maximspam. But you're right, they need to L2P, as opposed to you.
4 Apr 2016, 14:39 PM

Except maxims were buffed since that time. Quite alot actually.

Oh, and i have beaten top 10 players with maximspam. But you're right, they need to L2P, as opposed to you.

Everyone has off games.

What would you suggest as changes to the maxim then?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 13
unknown 10
Russian Federation 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak