Login

russian armor

Layoffs at Relic? And the future of COH2

• This thread is locked
PAGES (11)down
14 Mar 2016, 13:19 PM

Even if yes, then what ? With amount of bugs and shit we had with every patch, even if there is some-one to build patches, it dosent make them some how better. Fact is fact, that IF brad make changes (and I'm sure that 99% changes are made by him, except for core "functions" like reversing, deep vet fixing, working with core functions and so on) no-one check them and barrely test them.

Don't get me wrong, by no means I say its justified to have what we had over last months.
Its possible to have an odd bug now and then, even a couple, but what happened recently was just comical and kudos for people playing and casting ESL in these game conditions.

But the game is hardly dying or anything like that.

Better QA, better supervision, sure, they could use it.
14 Mar 2016, 13:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 12:58 PMpugzii

The build should be automated along with tests, this is how it worked at my previous company. You could literally edit some variables and launch a build and it would tag the build, compile it, test it and push a patch to a repository where it could be QA tested - needing programmers to build it manually is awful and is only something shitty indies do.

They will have statistics 100%, and these will be reviewed at monthly (or so) meetings with leads of Relic, likely these constant patch fuckups and hotfix fuckups went to far and were noticed, especially when it costs them 'money and time' per patch.

Automated testing is good for stability and performance, but a good QA teams pass is essential with large changes to content or code.

Build engineers are often used when a title is multi-platform. Ideally one wouldn't be necessary for Relic, however without knowing their architecture, who can say.
14 Mar 2016, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 13:19 PMKatitof

Don't get me wrong, by no means I say its justified to have what we had over last months.
Its possible to have an odd bug now and then, even a couple, but what happened recently was just comical and kudos for people playing and casting ESL in these game conditions.

For a good part of the community coh is dying since release :foreveralone: Even will all shit coh has, it wont die untill DoW3 or CoH3, simply because there is no replacement for coh and its unique.

Sad part is that Relic are great at macking games and game concepts, but ppl responsible for balance and desing in general are from the other planet. Maybe we had chance to get normal ppl, because its not that hard to fix major BS of the game.
14 Mar 2016, 14:00 PM

Didnt like all guys left who programmed the Engine? If the documentation is bad, it's very hard to work on said Engine without having people left who knows how it work...Its the only plausible explaination for the poor Patches
14 Mar 2016, 14:05 PM
Patrion 14

What part of "there is no COH2 team any more" do you not understand?

The same sources that broke the (now-validated) news about Brad indicated that Kyle and most if not all of the rest of the COH2 team is either laid off or reassigned within the company.

There will be no QA. There will be no supervision. There will be no bugfixes or optimization, and frankly I'd be surprised to see a single new balance patch. The current build is COH2's "2.602".
14 Mar 2016, 14:10 PM

What part of "there is no COH2 team any more" do you not understand?

The same sources that broke the (now-validated) news about Brad indicated that Kyle and most if not all of the rest of the COH2 team is either laid off or reassigned within the company.

There will be no QA. There will be no supervision. There will be no bugfixes or optimization, and frankly I'd be surprised to see a single new balance patch. The current build is COH2's "2.602".

Dat Onion guy knows everything.

14 Mar 2016, 14:12 PM

<snip>

Up to today, I'd say that the game is more alive than ever (the game is in a state that I can now start recommending it to more casual friends).

Also, given that Brad was recently starting to approach Miragefla, we would say that CoH2 was the closest to this moment in its history:

However (assuming that the rumours are true), many key and beloved community-facing employees at Relic were also affected (i.e., not just Brad, even though everyone loved to hate Brad). This means that the relationship between Relic and the CoH2 community will have to be rebuilt from scratch; and that takes time.

In the best case scenario, it will probably take some time for the replacements to get into grips with the game. In the meantime, we're left with the unfun stuff that ruins the current meta.

In the worst case scenario, Relic is dropping active support for CoH2 because they consider it unprofitable. Yes, that would be a very stupid decision to make. However, what if the seeds of incompetence lied within management and the laid-off employees were just the scapegoats?
14 Mar 2016, 14:12 PM

There's the ongoing Alpha about Warspoils, I doubt Relic will throw away its development due to laying off staff.
14 Mar 2016, 14:17 PM

There's the ongoing Alpha about Warspoils, I doubt Relic will throw away its development due to laying off staff.

Didnt they throw away coh online too ?
14 Mar 2016, 14:19 PM
Patrion 14

Devs throw away works in progress all the time. There are more thrown-away works in progress than completed works and it's not even close.

I don't expect we'll ever see war spoils. I'd love to be proven wrong, though, just like I'd love to be proven wrong about the layoffs.
14 Mar 2016, 14:24 PM

Let's add sauce to the gravy:

Last weekend was PCGWEEKENDER in London which Relic attended to. I heard that at the end of the event, they gave away all Relic related banners and posters that decorated the stand to the attending community members. Did Relic/Sega intend to give them away knowing that they'll never present that game to the public anymore? Or was that some kind of generous act?
14 Mar 2016, 14:32 PM

Last weekend was PCGWEEKENDER in London which Relic attended to. I heard that at the end of the event, they gave away all Relic related banners and posters that decorated the stand to the attending community members. Did Relic/Sega intend to give them away knowing that they'll never present that game to the public anymore? Or was that some kind of generous act?

since the full game is priced somewhere near the 400euro mark i would bet on the first option :snfPeter:
Neo
14 Mar 2016, 14:32 PM

Where is the verification of the rumours you mentioned, onion?
14 Mar 2016, 14:33 PM
Donator 22

voting for thread of the week!
14 Mar 2016, 14:33 PM

Maybe not wanting to bring it back to Vancouver or to save storage space...

The game is still alive, maybe not kicking as strong as it should but it will cause the fans are still there and we love our game !
14 Mar 2016, 14:34 PM

Yeah, lets pretend coho was an actual thing instead of development and monetization experiment they did, because they could while preparing coh2 :romeoMug:
14 Mar 2016, 14:35 PM
Patrion 14

lol holy shit, Hans just asked the guys if he could have the banners after the weekend, they said yes. More conspiracy theories please
14 Mar 2016, 14:36 PM

Maybe not wanting to bring it back to Vancouver or to save storage space...

They kept all the other SEGA advertisement merchandise. A mate of mine asked for Sonic stuff when Relic/SEGA gave away CoH2/DoW2 stuff, but they refused. It seems it was not a matter of lack of storage..

lol holy shit, Hans just asked the guys if he could have the banners after the weekend, they said yes. More conspiracy theories please

I did say that I added more sauce to the gravy (which in Englishman terms means, adding more conspiracy to a rather saucy theory).:foreveralone:
14 Mar 2016, 14:38 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 14:32 PMNeo
Where is the verification of the rumours you mentioned, onion?

Brad's LinkedIn, we've been over this. I'm guessing you don't have much experience with the professional world because Brad's profile would not indicate his term was over in March 2016 unless he left; it would say "-Present" like Kyle's.

Admittedly this is only evidence that Brad is gone, it doesn't necessarily mean that no one will replace him. But I don't think there's any reason to doubt the sources for this news, given that they are right so far.
14 Mar 2016, 14:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2016, 12:25 PMKatitof

Except, its NOT designers who are to blame for bugs, but developers.

Not the guys coming up with ideas and balance, but the ones who code.

Release patch Tiger Ace, Release patch Avre churchill, Release patch Calliope, Lets double Aoe Katy patch, ML-20 spam patch, Jagdtiger 80 range ignoring all shoot blocker, ( and so on ) bad ideas and balance :P

EDIT : wrong quote ! soz
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight