Login

russian armor

Reverse hotkey (U key)

11 Mar 2016, 16:56 PM

Excuse me, but this has annoying me since the game went live. The hotkey for Reverse command is currently put on extremely terrible position, U key. Many times I lost my atguns and vehicles in action because my left hand couldn't reach U key.

While I'm not hoping for hotkey rebinding, could Relic please change the hotkey for Reverse command to R or T key please?

And no, please don't advice me using grid key. I can't get used to that.

Also, does anyone else have the same problem as me?
11 Mar 2016, 17:00 PM

You can get used to the grid hotkeys. I recently switched to grid hotkeys after having like 1500 games played with normal hotkeys. It just takes ~20 games before you get used to it. It actually overall improved my hotkey usage immensely as all the non-standard stuff such as placing certain types of mines, fuel cashes, odd abilities are much easier to memorize when they don't have random letter assigned to them.
11 Mar 2016, 17:03 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Grid keys solves all your problems. You are asking for Relic to make a solution to poor hotkeys layout, but you wont try the one they already made.

Just stick it out, play some compstomps if you care about your rank. Gridkeys are just so much better.
11 Mar 2016, 17:13 PM

the problem is making the change from classic to grid is even more worse. since ur muscle memory is so used to classic. i tried it and it made me go insane
11 Mar 2016, 17:13 PM
Donator 11

Gridkeys are one of the solutions. The other is AutoHotkey. The third one is using your mouse driver/software. The ultimate solution is using all 3 of them at once. Thats what I do.
11 Mar 2016, 17:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2016, 17:13 PMDAZ187
the problem is making the change from classic to grid is even more worse. since ur muscle memory is so used to classic. i tried it and it made me go insane

Just stick it out. I would suggest first playing some custom games and/or big team games to get a bit used to the new hotkeys in a low-pressure environment. If you swap hotkeys and go directly into hard games, you will just end up clicking the symbols because you have no time to think about the new hotkeys.
26 Mar 2016, 22:48 PM

Just stick it out. I would suggest first playing some custom games and/or big team games to get a bit used to the new hotkeys in a low-pressure environment. If you swap hotkeys and go directly into hard games, you will just end up clicking the symbols because you have no time to think about the new hotkeys.

been trying to make the transition to grid keys now vs AI. problem is learning all 5 factions. i dont know how u managed to get used to it after 20 games :foreveralone:
26 Mar 2016, 23:08 PM

Autohotkey is your answer. Try to use that and you'll be fine.
26 Mar 2016, 23:17 PM

I think that the most annoying thing about Grid Hotkeys is how R is "Reinforce" on normal hotkeys, and "Retreat" in gridkeys. Makes for some pretty hilarious situations when you take the time to softretreat to a halftrack, only to have that squad sprinting back to base instead :(

Personally, I've rebound the reverse hotkey to one of my mouse buttons. I basically picked up that hint from there:

nee
26 Mar 2016, 23:27 PM

You can also try using macrokeys, just bind a macrokey that's closer to your left hand and assign it to input "u".

Of course, this means you must have a keyboard with macrokeys, and a macrokey you're not using at the moment.
26 Mar 2016, 23:31 PM

I think that the most annoying thing about Grid Hotkeys is how R is "Reinforce" on normal hotkeys, and "Retreat" in gridkeys. Makes for some pretty hilarious situations when you take the time to softretreat to a halftrack, only to have that squad sprinting back to base instead :(

For me one of the annoying things when switching from standard to grid hotkeys was that I often accidentally pressed 'R' instead of 'T' when trying to upgrade weapons on a squad.
27 Mar 2016, 02:08 AM

i hated grid keys before i got my naga chroma epic. im not suggesting you buy a way over priced mouse but the grid keys are DAMN handy (not that im used to them) not needing to remember that the hot key for the same basic ability changes because you are playing a different faction is amazing if you swap about PLUS reverse becomes R!
27 Mar 2016, 03:37 AM

Get autohotkey (or whichever program u want) and change u to Q , only takes a few games to get used to it and you're good to go. Q is a good key because it isn't used, if u use R or E you run into troubles with certain tanks having the same key (t70 recon m20 smoke etc.). I can post the script I use here or just google.
27 Mar 2016, 05:43 AM

but when you use Gridkeys, how do you scroll? i use keayboard to scroll. how would you do that then?
27 Mar 2016, 07:24 AM

Am I the only one who's going to stick up for the OP's premise here? Lol.

U is an awful hotkey for reverse gear, and I've contended this since the game's release. Simply pointing out that you can completely flip the entire hotkey layout on its head with grid hotkeys, or that you can use third party software to change one bad hotkey placement is not justification for such a terrible design decision on Relic's part.
27 Mar 2016, 07:59 AM

but when you use Gridkeys, how do you scroll? i use keayboard to scroll. how would you do that then?

Wait, how do you scroll exactly? Is there something other than the arrow keys? :o
27 Mar 2016, 08:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Mar 2016, 07:24 AMKothre
Am I the only one who's going to stick up for the OP's premise here? Lol.

U is an awful hotkey for reverse gear, and I've contended this since the game's release. Simply pointing out that you can completely flip the entire hotkey layout on its head with grid hotkeys, or that you can use third party software to change one bad hotkey placement is not justification for such a terrible design decision on Relic's part.

Relic hard coded the key bindings into the game which is why nobody can set custom bindings and they likely won't/can't change this in the future or it may screw the game up unintentionally. I don't really understand why they didn't allow custom key bindings in the first place because hard coded key bindings is amateur level programming.
27 Mar 2016, 09:31 AM

I also use classic hotkeys, but, for me, I don't find U inaccassible, it is frickin Numpad 0 for goddamn tactical map that annoys me.
27 Mar 2016, 10:02 AM

After 2000hrs its pointless to switch for custom keys but garden me, guy who picked 0 for tactical map is truly dumb.
27 Mar 2016, 12:08 PM

Wait, how do you scroll exactly? Is there something other than the arrow keys? :o

i use WASD to scroll and all the keys around.

with GridKeys, you have to switch sides of the keyboard, don't you? that's very awkwar imo
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★