Login

russian armor

British's Advanced Emplacement Regiment: Counter Battery

3 Mar 2016, 13:36 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

This ability allows the base 25 pounders fire counter barrages for free with reasonable success. It can be quite effective especially in 3v3s and 4v4s, in where these artillery will never stop firing. This means they will not stop giving value. In my opinion it should not be free. My proposal is that while 25 pounders have this active the munitions income should be reduce by 10-25% each. This will stop giving free value and give the player the need to give slight oversight on these buildings.

Here is a video that shows the best/worst case possibility. Note the player's I was against were not top quality players. The top screen shows it hitting the targets while the bottom screen shows its constant firing at time 4 speed. These two screens are not in sync. The total actual length was 6 minutes starting around 11, when it could have reached far beyond 30+ minutes.

3 Mar 2016, 13:45 PM

This ability allows the base 25 pounders fire counter barrages for free with reasonable success. It can be quite effective especially in 3v3s and 4v4s, in where these artillery will never stop firing. This means they will not stop giving value. In my opinion it should not be free. My proposal is that while 25 pounders have this active the munitions income should be reduce by 10-25% each. This will stop giving free value and give the player the need to give slight oversight on these buildings.

Here is a video that shows the best/worst case possibility. Note the player's I was against were not top quality players. The top screen shows it hitting the targets while the bottom screen shows its constant firing at time 4 speed. These two screens are not in sync. The total actual length was 6 minutes starting around 11, when it could have reached far beyond 30+ minutes.

in most 4vs4/3vs3 the front its so far that the counterbattery range doesnt reachs
3 Mar 2016, 14:47 PM

Wow, that mor blob tho.

Why are people wanting to somehow nerf this? If you get bombed then you should expect it for the rest of the game.

Expect to relocate and fire agaain.
3 Mar 2016, 14:52 PM

Lol!

4 mortars and an ISG that you could throw a duvet over?

Seems contrived.
3 Mar 2016, 14:54 PM

Wow, that mor blob tho.

Why are people wanting to somehow nerf this? If you get bombed then you should expect it for the rest of the game.

Because emplacement spam is boring, requires minimal skill and takes pretty much runs itself. The main counter to emplacement spam is arty, which is also countered by Counter Battery by pressing a button on your base buildings. Its a no-skill counter for a no-skill build.
3 Mar 2016, 14:57 PM

I love it how Ostheers only truely reliable counter to sim city is counter by a free to use ability. Mortar halftrack.

I played a game yesterday vs noobs with my noon cousin and every time I'd use my mortar half track it would suddenly be attacked by his free counter barrage ability. I only ever lost it once because I kept repositioning, but I did lose 2x pios to one shot that hit my halftrack while it was repairing behind the front lines. I guess my halftrack suddenly found a target and revealed itself. I was of course microing elsewhere and didn't notice till too late.

I really hate how viable the advanced placements regiment is for the amount of needed micro.
3 Mar 2016, 14:57 PM

So much blob...what is man to do against such reckless play?

If you lose 3 MHT to a single shot the video is probably not the one you want to post about balance. Also notice the fact that you actually stood under the shells for long periods of time and yet the mortars continued to fire and you continued to reinforce at the med truck.
3 Mar 2016, 15:15 PM

Mortar blob :sibPheasant:

Players were not top quality players?

Gardening-mortar-blob!

They were below trash :romeoHype:
3 Mar 2016, 15:18 PM

Because emplacement spam is boring, requires minimal skill and takes pretty much runs itself. The main counter to emplacement spam is arty, which is also countered by Counter Battery by pressing a button on your base buildings. Its a no-skill counter for a no-skill build.

The main counter to emplacement spam is getting some light vehicles and dominating the side of the map where emplacements are not. Then getting fuel cashes and rushing panthers.
3 Mar 2016, 16:39 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

If you're intent on using indirect to counter emplacements you have to spread all of ur tools out and keep it all moving and reinforced so the counter battery fire will miss or be less effective

In your video all your shit is way too bunched up. Literally all on top of eachother which is like the only way for the howitzer to even do good damage.

spread out, brah
3 Mar 2016, 16:47 PM

Maybe reduce munitions income when the guns are activated?

3 Mar 2016, 17:05 PM

Or some kind of cooldown between barrages. It doesn't have to be long, but since it's automatic, it shouldn't be a constant.
3 Mar 2016, 17:29 PM

Basically the Advanced Emplacement doctrine hardcounters trash players.

The Bofors counters idiots who dont understand how to attack it or just move to the other part of the map and the counter battery counters idiots who refuse to relocate after barrages/split their LeIG spam up.
3 Mar 2016, 17:49 PM

Wow, that mor blob tho.

I don't think that a free ability should counter a unit (Lefh) for the rest of the game. That's just bad design. Especially since indirect fire is supposed to be a counter to fortification, so this commander basically counters its counters.
3 Mar 2016, 17:54 PM

its sad that counter battery is useless in 4vs4 maps :guyokay:
3 Mar 2016, 18:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 17:49 PMofield

I don't think that a free ability should counter a unit (Lefh) for the rest of the game. That's just bad design. Especially since indirect fire is supposed to be a counter to fortification, so this commander basically counters its counters.

Don't both units have the same range. If you build a LeFH in range to barrage the opponent's base, then you are doing it wrong if you know they have this commander.
3 Mar 2016, 18:03 PM

Don't both units have the same range. If you build a LeFH in range to barrage the opponent's base, then you are doing it wrong if you know they have this commander.

not sure, gonna check my replay from yesterday, but it felt like lefh has way less range than the counter firing 25pounders, don't they have unlimited range anayway?

I watched the replay. It wasn't the counter battery, but concentrated fire ability of the british arty commander which killed my lefh. That ability unfortunately works on FoW.
3 Mar 2016, 18:05 PM

1v1 or even some 2v2 maps make the counter barrage be able to shoot you in base and you can't anymore build LeFH inbase, so you need to build it outside.

Just too easy to use to counter indirect which should be hard counter on emplacements. And people say you don't know how to redeploy, well redeploy or not first shot u shoot you instantly get shot by counter...
3 Mar 2016, 19:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Mar 2016, 17:49 PMofield

So you find something what counters the thing that counters the counter for his units (a.k.a. nothing, in this case)
Bloody typical way of Relic dealing with UKF army, 25-pounders are usually ridicoulusly bad, so instead of generally buffing them, they introduce an ability to change them into wrecking machines.
3 Mar 2016, 19:17 PM

It still amazes me that people think a "counter" to emplacements should be an absolute hard counter with no risk involved and no possibility of counterplay. You see it in every thread where emplacements are mentioned.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★