Login

russian armor

ESL - Only for Pro's?

2 Feb 2016, 10:25 AM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Feb 2016, 09:31 AMNight
Very funny to see players here talking about 'Welcome to the competitive scene', 'Communist competitive scene', special olympics etc.
Please inform yourselves about leagues and other divisions before posting such crap. Everywhere in sports, whether it's Esports or Sports, you have leagues and divisions.

What was I thinking, trying to discuss something on this forum.. :)
Topic can be closed as some of us lack brains to think.

Seriously people, you guys are stupid as ass if you think it's about everyone needs to win.

I belive you didnt come here to discuss at all.
Yes there are divisions in some games and there are not in many cases as well.
I played 4 Years at ETF2L (Div6 to Div2) also national cups aswell so I know about division system. But other games I played like Street Fighter or any other FGC there are no divisions at all(And Capcom CUP is Worldwide tournament just as in ESL right now). Team Games are tend to do more division system because Its not up to one player.
Not to mention there are not hundreds of players playing actively on competetive scene of COH2 (currently)
Maybe It was a league I could try to understand but Its a cup base tournament which leads to Major CUP.

P.S. Also If your to argument was a bid strong, you wouldnt be scared off so easly calling people stupid or ass :lolol:
2 Feb 2016, 10:28 AM

Naturally there is no problem per se to have a lower level tournament. Beginners tournaments have been done in the past and will be done in the future!

Right know there isn't really space to change the ESL into more competitions, we already do only about 120-130ish players every week split over NA and EU, that is not significant enough to warrant several divisions or leagues.

This might change in the future but the single KEY to that is to get more people playing. I suspect tournaments will be a lot more fun, players skills will improve, new fun strategies tried and so the more players we get into the tournaments.

So sign up today, worst thing that happens is you loose and will have to try again. :)

2 Feb 2016, 10:57 AM

I will go against the general conscious her because I like debating things with merit.

The numbers are small because the majority of people are not going to enter a competition dominated by a few and real sports have divisions for a reason. You want the numbers or participants and by flow on viewers to increase then increase the range of people who can actually participate. I would watch a game my mate was playing in regardless of division. I don't watch any but the top ESL game because why do I care? Just like the tennis I do not watch a 100+ seed player take on Murry, Federer, Djokovic why would this be different. But two tennis player not in the top ten playing each other can still be good to watch as they are more likely to be evenly matched.

The money objective could be completely nullified by doing what other games do and offering in game crap they normally charge for to the winner. Give a set of Commanders or skins to the lower divisions. Who really cares? If it helps promote the game which in turn would lead to more people actually watching the ESL then whats the harm? Hell have a call in specifically for the lower division winner named after him that only he gets. I am sure they had a dozen put forward in development they never introduced.
2 Feb 2016, 11:57 AM
Donator 11

Mind that all the groups you mentioned in the opening post are right now taking part in esl and are being casted live. This will probably change due to prize increases but as for this month there is nothing to be unhappy about.
2 Feb 2016, 13:02 PM

HelpingHans hight++ ??? :D
2 Feb 2016, 13:06 PM
Patrion 14

Hmm like in formular 1, there is no 1, and nr 2 is the first of the loosers... But instead make a tournemt for average players level 500 down to 2000 could be fun
2 Feb 2016, 13:08 PM

hmm well, you want noobs to win money prizes or what? :snfBarton:
2 Feb 2016, 13:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Feb 2016, 10:25 AMruzen

Not to mention there are not hundreds of players playing actively on competetive scene of COH2 (currently)

There's several thousand ranked 1v1 players. (Out of placement, played games in the last few weeks.)

The second lowest rank soviet player has over 800 games played and a 20% win ratio.

A_E
2 Feb 2016, 13:32 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

There's several thousand ranked 1v1 players. (Out of placement, played games in the last few weeks.)

The second lowest rank soviet player has over 800 games played and a 20% win ratio.

Yeah people are underestimating the size of the 1v1 playerpool and it's patronising to people with mid-low ranks, cut that elitist bs out, this game is very active for its age.
2 Feb 2016, 13:35 PM
Patrion 15

The avarage attendance for ESL cup is 67,6.
2 Feb 2016, 13:41 PM
Patrion 14

hmm well, you want noobs to win money prizes or what? :snfBarton:

Why can noobs not win money prizes instead of soap eating coh2 geeks :)
2 Feb 2016, 13:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

One of my proudest accomplishments in COH2 was getting my name on the final poster for SNF5 by winning my R1 game :) As has been said already, just adjust your expectations and give yourself a goal and you can have fun in a tournament, even if you get knocked out in the second round. I got obliterated by Barton in the first tourney I ever played in, but hey I made it past the first round!
2 Feb 2016, 13:46 PM
Donator 11

I am not a competive player. The point with competitive tournaments is that the best players play against another and the rest of us who are interested in the game can be entertained, and watch and learn from the best players. It is the same thing in every other competitive sport. It is called "competitive", because people compete with each another and the best player wins.

If someone want everyone to win, then they can play the Swedish board game "Fia med knuff" instead. (The game is called "Mensch ärgere Dich nicht" in Germany).
2 Feb 2016, 14:00 PM

With all due respect the tournaments for lower level players do exist and come around fairly often. But you are not going to find public ESL events for low level players. Nobody wants to see that and it doesn't help showcase the game in any respect. The game has never been big enough to warrant tournaments for this side of the community.

Lets not forget that when these events are held none of the lower ranking community ever signs up for them!

Obviously ESL will be dominated by the top players but when you're saying that it's always the same people I would have to disagree with that. There's loads of new faces popping up and beating the big names. Talisman, Black Ace, DevM, Overlord, Jove to name a few. With money being put into the tournament more of these big players will come in to public eye and it will get more interesting and diverse from there.

I'd say that's pretty damn interesting... but then again.. I would ha!

I think hes saying he wants to see participation from other top 10-20 players?
2 Feb 2016, 14:04 PM

I have 2000 hours in this game and i spent the majority of it watching live games and not playing , and i must say it's really entertaining watching top players play.
However the skill gap between top 10 players and top 50 players is really big .
Matchups of that kind are really boring to watch and players hardly put up a fight.
It would be nice to have leagues for different skills but with the current playerbase it's impossible to do so.
2 Feb 2016, 14:07 PM

Better find an interesting job and leave competitive gaming to crazy guys like Luvnest, Jesulin, DevM etc :snfPeter:

WHO
2 Feb 2016, 15:02 PM

The idea of having tiered tournaments for players of different skill is an OK idea. It's debatable as to whether there's enough interest.

Having prize money for them?? Not a chance.
2 Feb 2016, 18:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Feb 2016, 13:35 PMruzen

The avarage attendance for ESL cup is 67,6.

ESL is a lot of hoops to jump through for someone who just plays automatch. Looks like they fixed their website though since the last time I looked at it.

Sign ups for OCF was almost 600 odd players. And that's just within the relatively niche community here. Not all people who play 1v1 ranked regularly come here or had time to participate.
2 Feb 2016, 18:26 PM

One thing that I hate with ESL games the most, is that early game is all about getting a T0 MG into a particular building of the map, preferably with an engineer reserving the building first.
Hux
2 Feb 2016, 18:33 PM
Patrion 14

Put on your own novice/intermediate tourney?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★