Login

russian armor

Sov vs OKW: Broken Match up

3 Feb 2016, 01:14 AM

As for the rest of your post have you ever faced maximspam? Cuz i can tell you luchs is no hard counter.

How? If they build 3-4 maxims, they'll likely be lacking sufficient AT to defend all 4. Luchs is great against maxims, as long as its flak kills the guy wheeling back the maxim, you'll likely be able to wipe it. The maxim is still the only mg who's models don't warp to the mg when they drop it on retreat, and the luchs is the best infantry chaser in the game.
3 Feb 2016, 02:27 AM

So I've been having a lot more success in this match up after practicing a specific strategy. I haven't been doing much maxim spam.

What I've been doing is 3x Conscripts into Medics, followed up by T1 for a sniper. Then I get T2 and buy an AT gun, then research AT grenades. If you're not conceding too much territory, this is about the same time a Luchs is hitting the field. I follow up with a maxim or a mortar and then go T3 and get an Su76. At this point I like a munitions cache and maybe a fuel cache and then I go T4 for a Katyusha and then t-34's. A halftrack has great synergy with this build provided you use it for reinforcement.

I use the Advanced Warfare doctrine with it for a few reasons. Radio Intercept is really nice just in case he decides not to get mechanized, then I get double down on a second sniper. It also helps me know if I should expect volks spam or whatever and plan accordingly.

PPSH are super useful for letting conscripts perform really well against most OKW infantry. Nuff said.

Conscript repair is nice since I only have one engineer, they can keep my vehicles topped up while my engineer does important things like build caches.

t-34/85 is a nice option to have, especially in a winning situation where I don't need to rush for a t-34/76.

Strafing run is great late game once I get 1-2 muni cache up and can use it as needed. Between that and Katyusha I have a lot of anti infantry potential.

I've beaten a couple of top 100 players doing this, so I don't know how well it continues to scale but it has been working out very well for me.
3 Feb 2016, 02:52 AM

Snip.

Interesting - have you considered replacing one of the Conscripts with a Penal? I've found that they do a bit better against Volks in the early game and the extra flamer can be handy on more garrison heavy maps. Albeit they admittedly don't scale nearly as well as Conscripts do.

I'm kind of curious how/when you use the IL-2 Stafe as well... whenever I use it I always just feel underwhelmed for its 180 Muni cost. Especially against OKW where T4 building always seems to shoot it down -.-
3 Feb 2016, 03:14 AM

Interesting - have you considered replacing one of the Conscripts with a Penal? I've found that they do a bit better against Volks in the early game and the extra flamer can be handy on more garrison heavy maps. Albeit they admittedly don't scale nearly as well as Conscripts do.

I'm kind of curious how/when you use the IL-2 Stafe as well... whenever I use it I always just feel underwhelmed for its 180 Muni cost. Especially against OKW where T4 building always seems to shoot it down -.-

I thought about it but it didn't suite me. It's okay on urban maps like La Gleiz though. I like the mobility and versatility of conscripts better.

It's the 90 muni one that fills in a line. Not the loiter planes. Just does a single pass of doom.

I do find that I need to be pretty aggressive about killing their tech structures in this match up though. Everytime I don't finish them off I regret it.
3 Feb 2016, 03:41 AM

So I've been having a lot more success in this match up after practicing a specific strategy. I haven't been doing much maxim spam.

What I've been doing is 3x Conscripts into Medics, followed up by T1 for a sniper. Then I get T2 and buy an AT gun, then research AT grenades. If you're not conceding too much territory, this is about the same time a Luchs is hitting the field. I follow up with a maxim or a mortar and then go T3 and get an Su76. At this point I like a munitions cache and maybe a fuel cache and then I go T4 for a Katyusha and then t-34's. A halftrack has great synergy with this build provided you use it for reinforcement.

I use the Advanced Warfare doctrine with it for a few reasons. Radio Intercept is really nice just in case he decides not to get mechanized, then I get double down on a second sniper. It also helps me know if I should expect volks spam or whatever and plan accordingly.

PPSH are super useful for letting conscripts perform really well against most OKW infantry. Nuff said.

Conscript repair is nice since I only have one engineer, they can keep my vehicles topped up while my engineer does important things like build caches.

t-34/85 is a nice option to have, especially in a winning situation where I don't need to rush for a t-34/76.

Strafing run is great late game once I get 1-2 muni cache up and can use it as needed. Between that and Katyusha I have a lot of anti infantry potential.

I've beaten a couple of top 100 players doing this, so I don't know how well it continues to scale but it has been working out very well for me.

This seems like a well thought out strategy and I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't really play on any of the strengths of the Soviet faction until the early mid game where combined arms between SMG cons, AT guns, snipers and a Halftrack can really lock down territory. But early game I think that 3 cons into sniper is very vulnerable to call-in infantry spam like JLI or Fusiliers. I also think you could benefit from an additional engie in there, so you can plant more demos/mines and build tiers without sacrificing map presence.
3 Feb 2016, 04:57 AM

decent strat but snipers seem to be very redundant. sov t2 is sufficient. ppsh cons are able to deal with okw infantry well enough, keep that mp and fuel to push out t70s or su76 earlier should be a better investment.

t70 can keep luchs away from machineguns, mortars, at guns and support against infantry pushes. while ppsh conscripts can yolo into volks trying to schreck ur t70 down.

the idea is to be very cautious with ur t70, use support teams to draw fire and annoy the crap out of okw, then counter push with conscripts.
3 Feb 2016, 05:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Feb 2016, 04:57 AMwongtp
decent strat but snipers seem to be very redundant.

The sniper is critical, actually. Conscripts really can't stand up to a fair fight against OKW's infantry, but if you tip the odds with the sniper you stand a chance. Especially against Obers. Even with PPSH and vet obsers chew them up.

The alternative is to rely on maxims, but I wanted a more mobile playstyle.

T70 is good but I find it too risky. The odds are stacked against it with p schrecks, raketens, pumas and mines. If I do build one, it's purely for recon mode and supporting my other units.
3 Feb 2016, 08:36 AM

Maximspam requires micro now?

i've been playing with maxims the wrong way all this time :foreveralone:

@OP
Spam maxims, fast tech to t3, get a light vehicle (preferrably luchs)
That breaks okw.

Without maxims/dhsk, well you're gonna have a bad time.
With it tho, it's a snorefest.

Keeping track of where your maxims are, and their positioning is micro intensive. Along with retreating the second you are flanked/get incendiary naded otherwise your insta wiped and give them a maxim which is GG.

This is far more micro than attack moving a volks blob
3 Feb 2016, 09:40 AM

I'm rather dubious about the viability of the PPsH Conscript blob. Whenever I see one of these things I just try to keep my infantry at range while inflicting as much bleed as I can before the Conscripts get too close. As soon as the distance gets closed, I just run away. You end of conceding a bit of territory usually, but you accumulate veterancy and such.

Dullahan, you're ranked higher than I am so I differ to you, but I feel like your build would be vulnerable to Fusilier spam backed by a Luchs.
3 Feb 2016, 11:50 AM

How? If they build 3-4 maxims, they'll likely be lacking sufficient AT to defend all 4. Luchs is great against maxims, as long as its flak kills the guy wheeling back the maxim, you'll likely be able to wipe it. The maxim is still the only mg who's models don't warp to the mg when they drop it on retreat, and the luchs is the best infantry chaser in the game.

1 con 4x maxims t3 t70.
Add guards at will/if neccessary.

If you play half-decent map is equal or more in your favor.

T70 then arrives about the same time as luchs, no further at needed but i like to get 2x guards after, just in case (and their AI ain't bad either).

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Feb 2016, 08:36 AMpugzii

Keeping track of where your maxims are, and their positioning is micro intensive. Along with retreating the second you are flanked/get incendiary naded otherwise your insta wiped and give them a maxim which is GG.

This is far more micro than attack moving a volks blob

I could make a similair post about how to micro volks vs maxims, but i simply leave it at the folliwng:
A-moving maxim will beat an a-moving volk.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★