Login

russian armor

Various bugs: commandos, artillery & ninjas

24 Jan 2016, 12:30 PM

Cruzz is back, and there was some interesting discussion going on in his thread. Cruzz did the vast majority of the detective work, I am just merely reporting it:

1. Commandos ambush bonus (accuracy) is bugged (infinite duration)

2. All artillery reticules are misleading; scatter_offset complicates things further

3. The popcap cost of the doctrinal soviet mortar (120mm) is too high @ 13 popcap

4. The DPS of Tommy vet3 scoped rifles is, again, inferior to the vanilla riles they have

5. AEC Thread shot bug (clue)

6. Comet projectile still not fixed

7. British infantry benefits from additional -10% received accuracy in light/heavy cover (intended?)

8. Three shades of Bren (The Dropped Weapons edition)

9. British medics & The Hippocratic oath (oversight?)

10. Sapper destroy cover doesn't work vs constructed sandbags

11. British default weapon crews (Vickers/AT guns etc) have a 6.6 rear armor (probably doesn't affect anything)

Links to relevant posts (in case I forgot to highlight something!):
http://www.coh2.org/topic/36347/cruzz-s-the-more-you-know/post/476198
http://www.coh2.org/topic/36347/cruzz-s-the-more-you-know/post/476214
24 Jan 2016, 13:54 PM

Why is the issue with brens intended? Doenst obers drop their good Version of lmg 34 too?
Nice findings
24 Jan 2016, 22:00 PM
25 Jan 2016, 06:09 AM

Am I interpreting what you write about the commandos correctly like this? After they got their ambush bonus once they will have it for the rest of the game? Or just for as long as they stay in cover?

Because if it were forever, than wjy are commandos no better? Given their other stats with 50% bonus acc on all the time they should be wrecking things even at medium range which they dont, not even up close are they that dangerous. Maybe you could show a video of the test?

(Anyways always good for relic so it gives more credit to your claims)

Thanks for the effort anyhow!
25 Jan 2016, 07:02 AM

Tried this myself... Can't say I noticed any difference, they never did hit anything at range ( same with the other sten) so if they do now it doesn't seem to really be noticeable... 50% added on to truly sucky accuracy is still sucky.

You sure it isn't just the RNG gods having a laugh?
25 Jan 2016, 07:49 AM

Tried this myself... Can't say I noticed any difference, they never did hit anything at range ( same with the other sten) so if they do now it doesn't seem to really be noticeable... 50% added on to truly sucky accuracy is still sucky.

You sure it isn't just the RNG gods having a laugh?

Well if it does work the plan would be to give them double brens, as they are approx 40 % better you get 280 % bren on a squad with double bren, then add the 50 % acc from ambush on top and you have 420 % bren, seeing as commandos even get 25 % acc with vet vs is 20 % ut gets even better. Meaning that a 5 man double bren commando troop would effectivly be a 4.2 bren is troop. Making them quite insane.

All of this only applies ofc if they truly get a permanent 50 % ambush bonus.

Another question. If it does hold, does it stay even after a retreat? What if 4 models die and get replaced, do they still habe the buff or just the 1 remaining guy. All of this would need to be met otherwise to much effort for effect.
25 Jan 2016, 08:30 AM

I'm pretty sure ambush only affects commando sten. I think Cruzz covered this.
25 Jan 2016, 08:35 AM

I'm pretty sure ambush only affects commando sten. I think Cruzz covered this.

Thank you cindly. So still no reason to equipp Commandos witz brens, or to build them all together...
25 Jan 2016, 08:57 AM

Thank you cindly. So still no reason to equipp Commandos witz brens, or to build them all together...

Commando is currently one of strongest infantries in the game...

The bren is also a good upgrade...

Cruzz:
"Commando Bren is significantly (~40%) stronger and can fire on the move with 50% accuracy."

while it costs the same as other brens...

But this type of debate is not meant to be done in bug section....if you want to debate more it would be better to be moved to balance...
25 Jan 2016, 11:07 AM

Commandos ambush works like a double-edged sword. The accuracy buff is the plus side. The speed "buff" works against you; a sprinting commando will not be able to fire on the move, and if you aren't moving, how are you going to close the gap?

Thus, the optimal strategy right now is to gain the buff once, and do your best to never trigger the ambush bonus again.

Am I interpreting what you write about the commandos correctly like this? After they got their ambush bonus once they will have it for the rest of the game? Or just for as long as they stay in cover?

The 50% accuracy will probably still apply for the rest of the entire game.

Another question. If it does hold, does it stay even after a retreat? What if 4 models die and get replaced, do they still habe the buff or just the 1 remaining guy. All of this would need to be met otherwise to much effort for effect.

This is a very good question. I didn't try this (it's difficult to verify it), so I added it to the bug report.

50% added on to truly sucky accuracy is still sucky.

Spinflight is right on the money. Range affects both accuracy and burst length (how many shots will fire).

Even when I cranked the accuracy bonus to 40000% (for my test) commandos still had issues defeating grenadiers at max range with their stens (stens would fire 2 shots per second at max range)

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 08:57 AMMyself

Commando is currently one of strongest infantries in the game...

The bren is also a good upgrade...

Cruzz:
"Commando Bren is significantly (~40%) stronger and can fire on the move with 50% accuracy."

while it costs the same as other brens...

But this type of debate is not meant to be done in bug section....if you want to debate more it would be better to be moved to balance...

This is a topic better suited for the strategy section; we wouldn't want the balance section to lose more of its currency with irrelevant topics. If you open a discussion there, I will give you my opinion on brens/piats etc.
25 Jan 2016, 11:32 AM

I'm not saying there isn't a difference but I just tried it again and I'll be buggered if I can notice any extra damage being dealt.

In fact I'm wondering if the ability is itself bugged.
25 Jan 2016, 11:49 AM

I'm not saying there isn't a difference but I just tried it again and I'll be buggered if I can notice any extra damage being dealt.

In fact I'm wondering if the ability is itself bugged.

This is a situation where both of us are correct:
1. The damage buff IS significant in close (near melee ranges)
2. It is very difficult to know when the damage buff actually triggers.

This is a UI issue, and I have already reported it here: http://www.coh2.org/topic/47454/ukf-various-minor-bugs-tooltips-ui-inconsistencies (bugs #2 & #3).
25 Jan 2016, 11:55 AM

Great list, I do hope this gets some attention and included in Relic's database.

Please do not debate balance stuff in here, these are clear bugs.
25 Jan 2016, 12:01 PM

Commandos ambush works like a double-edged sword. The accuracy buff is the plus side. The speed "buff" works against you; a sprinting commando will not be able to fire on the move, and if you aren't moving, how are you going to close the gap?

I have to completely disagree with the double-edged comment.

Sprint is activated once you give an attack order and not once you fire, so it can be used to close distance while remaining in cover...You can close in by moving normally if you wish...

In addition Commandos are meant to stay in ambush with hold fire and let the enemy units move to them.

Being able to sprint to enemy units undetected would make the unit OP.

Again might better suited for another section...
25 Jan 2016, 12:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 12:01 PMMyself

Sprint is activated once you give an attack order and not once you fire, so it can be used to close distance while remaining in cover...You can close in by moving normally if you wish...

I was not aware that sprint worked like that, and this smells like a bug.

Normally, when you give an attack order commandos will open fire (thus breaking stealth). However, I can see that you can circumvent that using the following procedure:
- Force your commandos to face the other way
- Give the attack command
- Immediately move before the shot is fired (or just tell them to attack something behind a shot blocker)
- Presumably commandos will benefit from sprint while stealthed (I've never tried it like this)

Is this what you had in mind?
25 Jan 2016, 12:14 PM

Is this what you had in mind?

No sprint fades off when attack is canceled.
It can be used when there is a shot blocker between (like smoke or buildings) the target and commandos, when they are out of range and when there 2 units.

Targeting the unit that further way will help you close in on the intended target...
25 Jan 2016, 12:24 PM

In this case you are correct.

The ability to sprint while stealthing seems very very strong (and also, very likely, unintentional). I think I should add this to the bug report.
25 Jan 2016, 12:42 PM

Well you can't hold fire with them so other than the procedure above I suspect the bonus is mainly wasted at long range in normal usage leading to it being meh.

Happy to be shown otherwise though as I like commandos and would quite like to do some raping with them. :D
25 Jan 2016, 13:34 PM

Well you can't hold fire with them so other than the procedure above I suspect the bonus is mainly wasted at long range in normal usage leading to it being meh.
Happy to be shown otherwise though as I like commandos and would quite like to do some raping with them. :D

Commandos are far from meh and they can hold fire once cloaked...
25 Jan 2016, 13:43 PM

Ooooohhhh... Can they now?

In that case a bottle of whatever to any Relic dev who finds something better to do than fixing this. :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★