Login

russian armor

Do you prefer the "new" OKW or the "original" OKW Part II

23 Jan 2016, 20:52 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2016, 20:37 PMKatitof
New OKW will be easier to balance on the long run as long as people will accept that things like more costly medium and heavy armor are the indicator of limited fuel and NOT the units cost effectiveness performance.

I actually thought all the vehicles were fine.

It was the infantry balance that was bad for okw. Thats why they always got stomped in 1v1.
23 Jan 2016, 22:24 PM

I actually thought all the vehicles were fine.

It was the infantry balance that was bad for okw. Thats why they always got stomped in 1v1.

Thats why I thought OKW needed a buff when it came to elite inf and that was it.

You didn't need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
23 Jan 2016, 22:38 PM

Neither.
24 Jan 2016, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I vote for other as i prefer both for different reasons.

Old OKW:
-It needed some adjustments on Elite infantry costs, reinforcement and veterancy.
-Maybe 100% muni income with some upgrades and abilities cost increased.
-Resource convertion could reduce mp income instead of crippling the opposite resource.

New OKW:
-New OKW will be easier to balance on the long run as long
24 Jan 2016, 07:57 AM

I like the new, but miss early JP4.
24 Jan 2016, 08:49 AM

Voted Other, New OKW doesn't address the principal issue: volks spam every game. Old OKW was probably going to be a pain to balance.

Looking forward to see OKW side upgrades implemented and reduce the brainless abilities/shreck spam.
25 Jan 2016, 02:53 AM
Patrion 26

The new version is much better. But shrek blobs are still a complete joke, so with that in mind I'd say the redesign isn't quite finished..
25 Jan 2016, 02:58 AM

New one is going to take some more balancing to get right, but it's a step in the right direction. Comparing it right now, when there's only been one minor tweak to it since it launched is unfair compared to the old OKW that was balanced and balanced for a year or more. Let it settle for a few more patches before making final judgement.
25 Jan 2016, 06:46 AM

New one is going to take some more balancing to get right, but it's a step in the right direction. Comparing it right now, when there's only been one minor tweak to it since it launched is unfair compared to the old OKW that was balanced and balanced for a year or more. Let it settle for a few more patches before making final judgement.

Few more patches and more of the community will have left/be fed up over Relic constantly shifting the game, completely quaking the balance and not addressing obsolete units and commanders. And thus, with the advent of constantly more DLC (as Relic needs to make money), it doesn't make any of the problems easier to solve. Imo, this game had potential, but was too intertwined with Meta game that there wasn't ever much room for strategy, flanking, and most importantly combined arms.

Imo, they should so what 4A games did with Metro 2033, combine both games, improving general mechanics, and vastly improving graphics. Company of heroes redux if you will :D
25 Jan 2016, 08:04 AM

The old okw was a lot better in many ways imo, the new okw is even more spammy and doesn't have the same feel to it

With the old okw you made a high value unit that was powerful and used it to turn the tide of the game, if you lost it you were in trouble but now you can just make a new one without it really affecting you too much

Great examples are JT and KT, they costed a shit ton but were able to turn the tide completely, once vetted they were beasts and if you lost them you were in trouble since it would take another 10-15 minutes to save for a new one

The new OKW is noob friendly but the old one benefited conserving units and smart resource usage, you were not able to re make all of your troops/upgrades because of the resource penalty which was great

The new okw is easier to balance but the old okw was overall better
25 Jan 2016, 08:18 AM

Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post23 Jan 2016, 00:34 AMhubewa
OKW would have been perfectly viable if elite inf were actually doing their job and killing infantry.

There was no reason to make the vast changes that Relic did IMO.

You got to be kidding me.
25 Jan 2016, 09:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 08:18 AMNight

You got to be kidding me.

Why not? OKW had good AT Options, vast AT Options.

It also had good baseline inf options. Volks were fairly decent in holding the line with cover along with fusileers.

However, its elite inf did really poorly against vet 2 or 3 rifles and lacked the kind of punch that a late, rare, expensive endgame unit should have.

25 Jan 2016, 09:57 AM

Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 09:23 AMhubewa

Why not? OKW had good AT Options, vast AT Options.

It also had good baseline inf options. Volks were fairly decent in holding the line with cover along with fusileers.

However, its elite inf did really poorly against vet 2 or 3 rifles and lacked the kind of punch that a late, rare, expensive endgame unit should have.

Well that's your opinion. But I don't think many will agree that that time was a good time. Where Obers mowed away every damn counterpart, where fusiliers could run around without even taking cover, where Sturmpio's could take down shocks etc.
25 Jan 2016, 10:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 09:57 AMNight

Well that's your opinion. But I don't think many will agree that that time was a good time. Where Obers mowed away every damn counterpart, where fusiliers could run around without even taking cover, where Sturmpio's could take down shocks etc.

Keep in mind that there were counters even back in the day.

Snipers could take out expensive OKW elite infantry and do a number on OKW's MP

Grenades, vehicles tend to be good too against elite inf.

Obers IMO were a lot like the VCoH's KCH.

Of course you don't want them just wiping inf at an instant but at the same time you want them to win against vetted base infantry, not the elite inf we currently have. Somewhere in between is good.
25 Jan 2016, 11:40 AM

I cant say what i like more. What i can say is that Relic should fix this OP unit called ISG or LEIG. Its way to good for its price.
25 Jan 2016, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 10:16 AMhubewa

Keep in mind that there were counters even back in the day.

Snipers could take out expensive OKW elite infantry and do a number on OKW's MP

Grenades, vehicles tend to be good too against elite inf.

Obers IMO were a lot like the VCoH's KCH.

Of course you don't want them just wiping inf at an instant but at the same time you want them to win against vetted base infantry, not the elite inf we currently have. Somewhere in between is good.

No, there was only one counter against them back in the day and that was either early game mortar spam or indirect fire. 2-3 obers squad walk all over snipers. can flank and kill all retreating infantry. If vehicles come, switch with volks and shrek. If Allies use vehicles... i'm sure Axis has them too. Old OKW was very strong.

Sturms were so powerful at killing all baseline infantry, they had to get reinforce nerf and received accuracy increase.
Obers were nerfed and lmg became an upgrade...

USF didn't have snipers or mortars to counter obers/volks spam.

All of this was before Allies' baseline infantry rework. No vet 3 buff for riflemen. No vet 3 buff for conscripts. Conscripts had a script line for a chance of instant burn death from grenades and flamers... Allies were always fighting the uphill battle in the "old" days.

So imagine OKW then... they ripped through everything. The more they vet, the more unstoppable they became. Then, they buffed katyusha to deal with shrek/ober squads... overdid it. katyusha spam to kill forward HQs and infantry blobs.
Nerfed katyusha and buffed allies baseline infantry instead. Allies blob became too strong. buff volks. Buff panzerwerfer so it squadwipes. introduce calliope as an allied squadwiper. game is blobber vs. mobile anti squadwiper.

Do you see where this going? a lot of the patches were to address blobbing and superior infantry.
25 Jan 2016, 20:33 PM

*snip*

Thanks for the post :)

I was aware of how OKW was uber broken on release.

I'm not asking for the good ol days when OKW melted through everything. And personally, I think sturms are fine where they are at the moment.

I was thinking the best thing would be somewhere between now where elite infantry can't compete against vetted baseline inf to when it was OP, somewhere in the middle ground is good where they will win an even engagement but not be killing models on retreat.
25 Jan 2016, 20:43 PM
Donator 22

I think many of the comments on here are missing the point of the real change in OKW.

OKW was a faction originally designed as late war western front units...units that were mixed veterancy and quality, mostly green with some absolutely bad ass units mixed in. It was also based on the idea that fuel and munitions were at a premium and big shortages existed. That's why I liked the faction. It did a nice job of being "different" from the others while trying to stay true to the late war situation the Germans faced. Fuel or munitions transfer helped to translate this real life problem into gameplay and made for interesting strategic decisions.

NOW, it just feels like any other faction. Is it more balanced? Yeah sure it is. Could Relic have maybe found a way to balance it without going away from its original design? Yeah, I think they could have.
25 Jan 2016, 20:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 20:43 PMMortar
I think many of the comments on here are missing the point of the real change in OKW.

OKW was a faction originally designed as late war western front units...units that were mixed veterancy and quality, mostly green with some absolutely bad ass units mixed in. It was also based on the idea that fuel and munitions were at a premium and big shortages existed. That's why I liked the faction. It did a nice job of being "different" from the others while trying to stay true to the late war situation the Germans faced. Fuel or munitions transfer helped to translate this real life problem into gameplay and made for interesting strategic decisions.

NOW, it just feels like any other faction. Is it more balanced? Yeah sure it is. Could Relic have maybe found a way to balance it without going away from its original design? Yeah, I think they could have.

+1 exactly my thoughts, I actually liked the faction and just thought a few things needed buffs and OKW was all good again.
25 Jan 2016, 21:05 PM

I did really like the old OKW due to their manipulation of resources via fuel/munition transfer, weak but expendable infantry backed by elite units (sturms, falls, etc), and their theme of having lower income but with highly veteran troops once they get rolling. The new OKW seems easier and more mindless but they did need some buffs. Hopefully they'll tweak the new OKW more to a good spot.

I liked playing the old OKW more than I like playing the new OKW, but I think this needed to be done. Old OKW was an out-and-out failure by relic's own stated goals. Remember how much everybody here laughed when Relic said that they were the extreme early game faction?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★