Login

russian armor

Do you prefer the "new" OKW or the "original" OKW Part II

25 Jan 2016, 21:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 20:43 PMMortar
I think many of the comments on here are missing the point of the real change in OKW.

OKW was a faction originally designed as late war western front units...units that were mixed veterancy and quality, mostly green with some absolutely bad ass units mixed in. It was also based on the idea that fuel and munitions were at a premium and big shortages existed. That's why I liked the faction. It did a nice job of being "different" from the others while trying to stay true to the late war situation the Germans faced. Fuel or munitions transfer helped to translate this real life problem into gameplay and made for interesting strategic decisions.

NOW, it just feels like any other faction. Is it more balanced? Yeah sure it is. Could Relic have maybe found a way to balance it without going away from its original design? Yeah, I think they could have.

I disagree. Not because I think that anything you said was wrong, but because I think that historical accuracy for a video game is more about forcing the player to confront the same problems that people did at the time, not just making sure that the uniforms and vehicles are historically correct.

By that metric, old OKW was a straight-up failure. The Germans in the ardennes needed a quick victory. A slow turtle win in the west would just have resulted in the Soviets breaking a chair across the back of Germany's proverbial head. But all that neat veterancy and late game tech incentivized OKW players to play conservatively until their late game advantage got out of hand. Even including the resource penalty, Relic got the basic strategic situation backwards IMO.
27 Jan 2016, 01:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2016, 21:25 PMWygrif

I disagree. Not because I think that anything you said was wrong, but because I think that historical accuracy for a video game is more about forcing the player to confront the same problems that people did at the time, not just making sure that the uniforms and vehicles are historically correct.

By that metric, old OKW was a straight-up failure. The Germans in the ardennes needed a quick victory. A slow turtle win in the west would just have resulted in the Soviets breaking a chair across the back of Germany's proverbial head. But all that neat veterancy and late game tech incentivized OKW players to play conservatively until their late game advantage got out of hand. Basically even including the resource penalty, Relic got the basic strategic situation backwards IMO.

I've said in the past that obers should have started at vet 5 or whatever the max was. Basically they're already elite, they shouldn't be able to scale from their initial superiority. Like I don't mean they start at actual current vet 5 stats (way too op), I mean they should be strong squads with no scaling. Similarly other elite units should have had poor scaling, most units except volks and weapon teams. Would have helped sell the core theme of the faction better imo.
nee
27 Jan 2016, 01:59 AM

I like the way OKWs HQ trucks worked. The way it works now is OK, but it's cheap cost and rather fast build rate means you no longer have the timer mechanic.

Personally I think making it similar to the British CoH1 style of deploying the trucks from command bar may be more useful.

To be fair though, it was clear the change was so you can tech faster, as you don't need to wait like 200 seconds between each truck to deploy for free. However the addition of making KT deploy like doctrinal unit kind of brings more whack to the change.
27 Jan 2016, 06:06 AM
Patrion 28

I've said in the past that obers should have started at vet 5 or whatever the max was. Basically they're already elite, they shouldn't be able to scale from their initial superiority. Like I don't mean they start at actual current vet 5 stats (way too op), I mean they should be strong squads with no scaling. Similarly other elite units should have had poor scaling, most units except volks and weapon teams. Would have helped sell the core theme of the faction better imo.

yeah. giving OKW less levels of vet would make them more elite. start them at vet 1 and have their vet 1 and 2 be, respectively, vet 2 and 3 for everyone else. or with volks have them start bad but have 4 levels of vet, etc.
27 Jan 2016, 22:00 PM

That would be a good way to make the mechanics match the theme. Too bad they didn't go for it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★