Login

russian armor

WTF Bofors?

Is the Bofors emplacement to strong currently?
Option Distribution Votes
31%
69%
Total votes: 126
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
11 Jan 2016, 07:28 AM

Sorry guys, if there is another thread about this topic (and I'm sure there has to be), but I only slpt a few hours this night and I wasn't able to find it :snfPeter:

Hoooowever

is it only me or is the Bofors currently a game breaker in team games?

I mean it is somehow immune to death regarding its self repair and its brace funtion.
My mate and I played on Ettelbrück Rail Station yesterday and were raped pretty much by two Bofors that hit the field around 5 or 6 minutes. We had 2 mortars and two LeIGs fireing at one (!) Bofors and it simply braced, getting about 0 damage at all. Not to mention that we lost three squads after finding out that the Bofors was there at the first place.

I do not own the Brits so I don't know if that Bofors mortar stuff is a Vet1 thing or some garrison bonus or whatever, but holy crap this is heavy. The Bofors is a direct inf killer with a range that is only a bit shorter than the FlakHT afaik but much more lethal. And it can suppress units all around the map with its barrage, that's somehow an overkill for me.

All immobile implacements should be weak against artillery fire, but the Bofors (and in fact all British emplacements) are not. You actually cannot counter a Bofors without tanks at the moment and even then it is tricky because it has a lot penetration. Don't try the Raketenwerfer at it has the same or a bit less range.

Yes I play mostly Axis and yes I don't know the downsides of the Bofors (I think it costs a bit fuel?), but it

• Kills infantry that is not absolutely IMMEDIATELY retreating (even then it's 50% of the time a squad wipe)
  • Can suppress and kill via it's mortar ability
  • Doesn't die (honestly, it survives a direct Stuka bomb while in brace and that with more than 60% of its HP)
  • Repairs itself (I still don't get why and how)
  • Comes very early (about 5-8 minutes).

Am I just too tired and talking bullshit?
11 Jan 2016, 07:37 AM

How did u lose 3 squads?! That is L2P. You can easily destroy a bofors with indirect fire... I never have issues with it and its usually an easy win if they did get a bofors (means no dankwell rush since they used fuel on it).

Don't shoot at it when its in brace - you need to bait them into bracing it and then bomb the fuck out of it when it comes off brace... obviously if the stuka could damage it when its braced why the fuck would anyone build it.

Also remember 'self-repair' is a doctrinal ability, not something it has by default. I literally never see anyone build it in high level 2v2 because its just a huge waste.
11 Jan 2016, 07:38 AM
Donator 11

Use Mortar HT's Incendiary Mortar Barrage against it.

I have also destroyed it by using mortars and Leigs to force it to brace, and then moved units with Panzerschrecks close to the Bofors, and when the brace stops, then shoot one Schreck with each unit to destroy it (or if you know that you can't destroy it, shoot once with each Panzerschreck squad, and retreat, and finish it with mortars and Leigs or with the Stuka bomb).
11 Jan 2016, 07:42 AM

Sorry guys, if there is another thread about this topic (and I'm sure there has to be), but I only slpt a few hours this night and I wasn't able to find it :snfPeter:

Hoooowever

is it only me or is the Bofors currently a game breaker in team games?

I mean it is somehow immune to death regarding its self repair and its brace funtion.
My mate and I played on Ettelbrück Rail Station yesterday and were raped pretty much by two Bofors that hit the field around 5 or 6 minutes. We had 2 mortars and two LeIGs fireing at one (!) Bofors and it simply braced, getting about 0 damage at all. Not to mention that we lost three squads after finding out that the Bofors was there at the first place.

I do not own the Brits so I don't know if that Bofors mortar stuff is a Vet1 thing or some garrison bonus or whatever, but holy crap this is heavy. The Bofors is a direct inf killer with a range that is only a bit shorter than the FlakHT afaik but much more lethal. And it can suppress units all around the map with its barrage, that's somehow an overkill for me.

All immobile implacements should be weak against artillery fire, but the Bofors (and in fact all British emplacements) are not. You actually cannot counter a Bofors without tanks at the moment and even then it is tricky because it has a lot penetration. Don't try the Raketenwerfer at it has the same or a bit less range.

Yes I play mostly Axis and yes I don't know the downsides of the Bofors (I think it costs a bit fuel?), but it

• Kills infantry that is not absolutely IMMEDIATELY retreating (even then it's 50% of the time a squad wipe)
  • Can suppress and kill via it's mortar ability
  • Doesn't die (honestly, it survives a direct Stuka bomb while in brace and that with more than 60% of its HP)
  • Repairs itself (I still don't get why and how)
  • Comes very early (about 5-8 minutes).

Am I just too tired and talking bullshit?

The point of using Indirect Fire in the first place is to get it into brace so you can attack it. So when it braces you rush it with your units and take it out.
11 Jan 2016, 07:45 AM

I have also destroyed it by using mortars and Leigs to force it to brace, and then moved units with Panzerschrecks close to the Bofors, and when the brace stops, then shoot one Schreck with each unit to destroy it (or if you know that you can't destroy it, shoot once with each Panzerschreck squad, and retreat, and finish it with mortars and Leigs or with the Stuka bomb).

Not everyone has spearhead in their loadout, and a single unit shouldn't force a commanded choice.
11 Jan 2016, 07:46 AM

The point of using Indirect Fire in the first place is to get it into brace so you can attack it. So when it braces you rush it with your units and take it out.

Have you seen how much punishment a brace structure with self repair can take? Assuming the guy isn't an idiot and has the structure properly supported it can be near impossible..
11 Jan 2016, 07:51 AM

Have you seen how much punishment a brace structure with self repair can take? Assuming the guy isn't an idiot and has the structure properly supported it can be near impossible..

So push away the support before attacking the bofors - same argument can be used against the flak HQ..
11 Jan 2016, 07:53 AM

Self repair is a doctrinal ability.

But the trick to taking out emplacements is first forcing a brace and then hit them hard when the brace wears off.

For example, you force a brace with mortar fire, then after 25 seconds you rush in with a panther and call in railway arty which will kill any emplacement 100% of the time if their brace is on cooldown.
11 Jan 2016, 07:53 AM
Donator 11

Not everyone has spearhead in their loadout, and a single unit shouldn't force a commanded choice.

I gave also a second option how to destroy it, that is, force it to brace and then move several Schrecks close to it. Of course you can also destroy it with StuGs, which you can get quite early.
11 Jan 2016, 07:58 AM

Hello.

Usually Bofors tend to disapear when medium tanks hit the field. Sure they are a tough nut to crack but they are not exactly as effective as you could think. Stug and Paks tend to clear them pretty quickly (with a spotter). Until you are able to deal with them you should simply avoid them.
A good source of inspiration is to not let them build them on critical points like fuel and force your presence at any cost.

Kozo.
11 Jan 2016, 08:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2016, 07:37 AMpugzii
How did u lose 3 squads?! That is L2P.

This happened because it was placed behind a shotblocker and we (1 squad from me, 2 from my mate) discovered it after we stood right in front of it. The first squad was dead before we could even retreat (< 1.5 seconds), the second died on retreat and the third was a bit L2P because my mate didn't stop it from entering a building.

To show where it was placed:

The Red Square is the Bofors, the green arrow is our path.

I played OKW and my mate simply doesn't have Spearhead as it is P2W. And the other Mortar Halftrack commander is simply garbage as everyone knows.

That is viable in mid to lategame. In the early game you mostly have 1 shreck and no vehicles, let alone Stuka Bombs. And in addition, people tend to forget in such threads, that the Brits also have inf that is very strong in cover and in buildings. Building heavy maps against Brits are annoying because atm the Ost mortar sucks against buildings IMO and the LeIG comes too late. If the Brit player manages to get 2 MGs into the buildings near the Axis base, there is very few things that the Germans can do as it will suppress every infantry before any grenades can be thrown. Also mortar smoke is bugged.

That is mostly what I was trying to say. A left alone Bofors can be handled somehow in a decent amount of time, while a supported bofors is really a pain in the neck.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2016, 07:58 AMKozokus
Hello.

Usually Bofors tend to disapear when medium tanks hit the field. Sure they are a tough nut to crack but they are not exactly as effective as you could think. Stug and Paks tend to clear them pretty quickly (with a spotter).

As Ost, this is of course a very viable idea. OKW, however, has a very low ranged AT gun and a low health StuG counterpart (Puma). The JP4 that used to be in the MedicHQ would have been a good counter, but all medium tanks were moved to the SchwererPanzerHQ :/

11 Jan 2016, 08:21 AM

As Ost, this is of course a very viable idea. OKW, however, has a very low ranged AT gun and a low health StuG counterpart (Puma). The JP4 that used to be in the MedicHQ would have been a good counter, but all medium tanks were moved to the SchwererPanzerHQ :/

You are pertty right, as OKW, ATgunz and puma are usually a bad idea and get destroyed by the Bofor.
The method i tend to use is to force a brace (with leig most of the time), approach with volks and throw as many fire grenades (and shreck if i bought them)as possible. Burn the heretic.
Otherwhise i wait for the jp4.

Kozo.
11 Jan 2016, 08:51 AM

It's fine.

It's immobile, it won't chance you so if you get in it's fire that's fault of your poor reconing.
It's killing just slighlty better on the retreating path than Schwerer. Once I made a test. Don't remember exact numbers but Bofors killed 21 model while schwerer 19? Or 19/16? Well, something like this.
Trick is not force it to brace and then finish it with coordinated assault.
LeFH is doing amazing job agasint geavy emplacement strat.
11 Jan 2016, 08:56 AM

2 volks and 2 puppchens is all it takes to roll over it.

Approach with volks(preferably, but not mandatory with shrecks) from one side(preferably through yellow cover at least), sneak up 2 puppchens, volks draw fire and poke it, puppchens rip it apart and either force brace or its dead within next 9 seconds.

Its not like its schwerer which can take crapload of punishment without holding fire and fights off med armor :sibHyena:
11 Jan 2016, 08:57 AM

Bofors is fine. /Thread.
11 Jan 2016, 08:58 AM

It's fine.
LeFH is doing amazing job agasint geavy emplacement strat.

LOL
11 Jan 2016, 09:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2016, 08:56 AMKatitof
2 volks and 2 puppchens is all it takes to roll over it.

Approach with volks(preferably, but not mandatory with shrecks) from one side(preferably through yellow cover at least), sneak up 2 puppchens, volks draw fire and poke it, puppchens rip it apart and either force brace or its dead within next 9 seconds.

Its not like its schwerer which can take crapload of punishment without holding fire and fights off med armor :sibHyena:

Welp, this right here is a load of BS. Play the game. Then you'll realise that vacume situations written on the forums don't happen in game.

Most bofers are supported. Not left alone...

Schwerer doesn't self repair. It doesn't magically become invincible to any fire with a push of a button. I don't even know why your even trying to compare the two units. Or even bring up the schwerer..

11 Jan 2016, 09:24 AM

Welp, this right here is a load of BS. Play the game. Then you'll realise that vacume situations written on the forums don't happen in game.

Thats the exact gardening thing that I DID in the game ffs.

Just like schwerer yet all I see from axis fanboys is "you need only 1 at gun to counter it" etc :luvDerp:

Brace is a really annoying game mechanic. It forces a non-fun gameplay style.

Barrage area
*brace*
Barrage area
Barrage area
*repeat*

And until the bofors is gone, you can't go in its area. So boring.

I don't think CoH is as fun when there's a lot of indirect fire vs emplacements.

This video is a nice example of what its like to play vs bofors + brace + self repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1IiTIQCzk

So yes there's a counter to the bofors. but NO, it is not fun. I didn't sign up for fckn angry birds ww2 style.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★