2%
2%
5%
Total votes: 322
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
11 Dec 2015, 03:33 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The Ostwind seems pretty lackluster to me. There is really no situation where I thought, gee, I wish I had an Ostwind right about now to deal with this infantry. It is not strong enough to justify buying it over the P4 in anti infantry power.

If you compare the Ostwind to the centaur, they both have the same fuel cost but the centaur is far better. I think the Ostwind needs to be brought in line with other AI vehicles. The only other stock anti infantry vehicle Ostheer has is the Brummbar, which while good, is in a much later tier. Since Ostheer has no decent AI light vehicle like the Soviets, USF, and OKW have, this medium AI tank should be buffed to fill the missing role.

What are your thoughts?

Edit to add:
I vote for an increase in the reload speed and fire rate. The Ostwind performs alright when it is actually shooting, but the incredibly long reload leaves any target it is shooting at a long window to run away or turn to fight it while it does nothing.
11 Dec 2015, 03:41 AM

agreed centaur is fatter and better AI than Ostwind by alot....
11 Dec 2015, 03:44 AM

It should have just been a Whirblewind so it could basically be cloned from the Centaur.
11 Dec 2015, 03:47 AM

the thing i hate Ostwind is it have weaker AI power than ally AA HT... while AA HT have about same AT power that Ostwind have...
11 Dec 2015, 03:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 03:33 AMTobis

If you compare the Ostwind to the centaur, they both have the same fuel cost but the centaur is far better. I think the Ostwind needs to be brought in line with other AI vehicles. The only other stock anti infantry vehicle Ostheer has is the Brummbar, which while good, is in a much later tier. Since Ostheer has no decent AI light vehicle like the Soviets, USF, and OKW have, this medium AI tank should be buffed to fill the missing role.

don't just ignore the mp cost. The centaur cost 40 mp more and is significantly slower.
11 Dec 2015, 03:57 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

don't just ignore the mp cost. The centaur cost 40 mp more and is significantly slower.

It's still fast enough to chase down retreating infantry and annihilate them. Ostwind can chase you all the way back to base before it will wipe a squad.
11 Dec 2015, 04:02 AM

Permanently Banned
The ostwind is garbage. Weaker than a quad AA or m15 AA halftrack. Its sad.
11 Dec 2015, 04:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 03:57 AMTobis

It's still fast enough to chase down retreating infantry and annihilate them. Ostwind can chase you all the way back to base before it will wipe a squad.

centuar max speed = 4.6
ostwind max speed = 6.3

infantry speed on retreat = 5.0

the centuar is factually slower than a retreating infantry, and a 1.6 difference is quite a bit.

The centuar and ostwind also kill models at the same rate. The centuar have the benefit of consistentce and generally more fragile german infantry.

Ostwind have a better AOE that allow it kill/damage multiple model at the same time.
11 Dec 2015, 04:18 AM

Ostwind is with brumbar in the catagory of terrible AI units that should never be built. It never justifies its price, inconsistent damage thanks to its projectile based attacks, and it doesn't have a window to be built, P4 is usually needed to counter Stuarts, T-70 and AEC. I have seen Ostwinds not hit shit or do minimal damage to squads, and even lose to Captain. They arent worth the opportunity cost or its actual price
11 Dec 2015, 04:21 AM

I think a small incremental increase to either its accuracy or its aoe is in order, since I am hestitant to think of what an overbuffed ostwind would do to the game.
11 Dec 2015, 04:22 AM

I have a little information for this topic. Ostwind has better capability against garrisoned infantry than centaur has. ost have damage all in hold flag="ture" still.
11 Dec 2015, 06:44 AM

It should have just been a Whirblewind so it could basically be cloned from the Centaur.

I loved the Wirbelwind and I'm sad they didn't make it Ostheer's AA / AI platform. Especially since the Ostwind was rare and the Wirbelwind was.. still rare, but twice as common as the Ostwind.

If they ported the Wirbelwind over from CoH1 to Ostheer as a replacement, I'd be quite happy. OKW can keep their Ostwind, they're the 'rare toys' faction anyway.
11 Dec 2015, 08:23 AM

agreed centaur is fatter and better AI than Ostwind by alot....

assymetrical balance.

Ostwind is fine.
11 Dec 2015, 08:35 AM

Ostwind is a killing machine well used. So use it well. No need for a nerf or a buff.
11 Dec 2015, 08:39 AM

Don't move around like a flee infested dog with ostwind and it'll rack up kills just as well.
11 Dec 2015, 10:22 AM

Absolute shit of a unit,never build.
Poor accuracy and dmg and is less effective than halftrack.

But then again relic on ignore mode as far as wehrmacht is concerned.
11 Dec 2015, 10:28 AM

Well, I find it hard to believe that the majority of voters can't see how shitty this unit is. I guess the hate against axis is real :).
11 Dec 2015, 10:34 AM

Give OST Whirblewind with 20 mm quad from vCoH and leave Ostwind as OKW call-in.
11 Dec 2015, 10:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Dec 2015, 08:39 AMKatitof
Don't move around like a flee infested dog with ostwind and it'll rack up kills just as well.

mobility is key for survival. omly axis ai platform that is mobile and does good dmg is luchs.
11 Dec 2015, 10:43 AM

mobility is key for survival. omly axis ai platform that is mobile and does good dmg is luchs.

Mobility, not panic reverse as soon as you see single con squad.

You need to be mobile enough to not get engine crit, which single squad will not inflict on you.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 105
unknown 12
South Africa 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak