Login

russian armor

COH2 player base

31 Oct 2015, 22:17 PM
Donator 22

Dear All

Firstly I am drunk I have just got back from watching the rugby finals which means I have been drinking beer for a good 11 hours :) So no grammar Nazi please.

I have been a fan coh since it came out and whilst I am not the best player I find it enjoyable and competitive.

Since coh2 came out I have noticed something a bit peculiar and this is why I am posting to search for an answer.

Why are there so many forum warriors, staff and people generally interested in this game that very rarely play this game?

I appreciate that I have spent a substantial amount of time playing this game (don't bother holding this against me) but to some people it seems like this is a good game to watch rather than play?

There seems be a lot of back seat gamers who clearly like watching the game but don't play it often and the forums evidence this.

Would it not benefit the community to have a bigger player base?

I see people on this forum complaining about balance that have only played a handful of games and use it as an excuse. Or base their opinion on what they have seen and not necessarily what they have experienced.
(axis/allies fan boys...please play both)

There seems to be two sections of this community one which watches and the other that plays.

Anyone else share these views and can maybe answer why this is the case?

Don't get me wrong the balance issues and bugs are more than frustrating but I also see how the game has developed and it's potential. I just wish more of the watchers became players.

31 Oct 2015, 22:47 PM

I think you either doesn't play rugby but you are not refuse to watch and talk about it :D
31 Oct 2015, 22:57 PM
Patrion 14

I play the game. Though I don't dismiss those who play less than me like Dr. Cruzz because they usually have stats, watched replays, or have heard about the meta enough to know what's up and what's down.

And usually, people like Dr. Cruzz are the ones to suffer from cancer while looking at all the ninja changes/bugs relic implements in each patch.
31 Oct 2015, 23:02 PM

I don't play 1v1 but like to watch casted 1v1 matched especially when caster explains what happening and why. I find it as entertaining as playing the game. I play 10 times games more than I watch though.
31 Oct 2015, 23:03 PM
Donator 22

I think you either doesn't play rugby but you are not refuse to watch and talk about it :D

Haha I used to play rugby :) But now I am too old lol

Point noted.

I just want more people playing this game :P
31 Oct 2015, 23:05 PM

Well, sometimes the game can be pretty intense and stressful. I tend not to play CoH2 when I'm tired or in a bad mood.
31 Oct 2015, 23:08 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 23:05 PMF1sh
Well, sometimes the game can be pretty intense and stressful. I tend not to play CoH2 when I'm tired or in a bad mood.

Even wada gives up in the face of :hansRNG: spiting him.

31 Oct 2015, 23:19 PM

My quick two cents.

A lot of people enjoy watching streams over playing because it is a lot less effort for potentially more entertainment to watch a stream versus playing a game like CoH 2.

There are days that I come home from work and don't have the energy to put towards serious practice or 1v1 laddering, but it is still nice to turn on a stream to see what's up.

I could also see it having to do with people being scared to play. Most people are scared to lose so they'd rather sit around on forums or in streams trying to prove themselves superior rather than just playing the game and letting their actions speak.

But yeah, for the most part I think there has been a major shift recently in watching streams versus playing... kind of like look at how many people watch sports on TV but never (or rarely) go out and play said sports. Nothing wrong with it especially considering how important viewership is in sports/esports, just people just prefer to watch and relax than play.
1 Nov 2015, 01:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 23:05 PMF1sh

+1 to this. I can't play immediately before bed because chances are I'll end up angry and won't be able to sleep.
1 Nov 2015, 03:44 AM

COH 1 sold a lot more copies than COH 2 did. The first game won every game of the year award out there it seems while the 2nd one was a technical mess at launch and did a lot of things worse. There are a lot of latent COH1 fans that don't like COH 2 which is why you see so many detractors of this game. A LOT of the old fanbase simply despise the new game. The interface, the performance, and the design decisions in having so many dlc commanders and warspoils aren't necessarily things that the original fanbase liked about the game.
1 Nov 2015, 04:25 AM

COH 1 sold a lot more copies than COH 2 did. The first game won every game of the year award out there it seems while the 2nd one was a technical mess at launch and did a lot of things worse. There are a lot of latent COH1 fans that don't like COH 2 which is why you see so many detractors of this game. A LOT of the old fanbase simply despise the new game. The interface, the performance, and the design decisions in having so many dlc commanders and warspoils aren't necessarily things that the original fanbase liked about the game.

This game reminds me of Evolve. It was a good game but it died because the devs and company were too greedy. Evolve was like COH2, asking for full 60 dollar price tag on release, and on top of that "new content" DlCs. Like Evolve you have to buy DLCs on top of the full game to be competitive. You dont "need" commanders like CAS, Lightning war, Elite troops etc etc, to play the game

but you have to get them to be competitive.

Evolve wasnt a bad game, but its dead now, I think Coh2 should have died too, but there is no competition in the cinimatic WWII RTS market. Yeah I hate this game, but what the garden am i suppose to play now? Coh1 is better, but its also history.

Ever since opposing fronts, Relic has been trying (and failing comically hard) to weave micro transactions and dlc into the core gameplay. Coh2, warspoils, the commander system, this was an another experimental failure like COH online. (I mean failure loosely, people like us are still here and the game didn't get shut down)

The belief that the "commander system" brings more variety or tactical choice into this game is wrong. There are fewer then 4 viable commanders for each faction. This is basically exactly like the doctrine system from coh1 except we have to pay 2.99+ USD to unlock a "doctrine'. Like what happened in Evolve when people were asked to fork over for "new" characters, lots of people left.

I think Relic should make this game free to play, throw one giant ass balancing patch,finish DoW III and start on Coh3

also please don't fuck up DoW III with stupid ideas pls
1 Nov 2015, 04:31 AM

And how can you tell that they don't play the game? Are you assuming? I've probably drank as much as you and even I don't make assumptions like that
1 Nov 2015, 06:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Oct 2015, 23:19 PMCieZ
My quick two cents.

A lot of people enjoy watching streams over playing because it is a lot less effort for potentially more entertainment to watch a stream versus playing a game like CoH 2.

There are days that I come home from work and don't have the energy to put towards serious practice or 1v1 laddering, but it is still nice to turn on a stream to see what's up.

I could also see it having to do with people being scared to play. Most people are scared to lose so they'd rather sit around on forums or in streams trying to prove themselves superior rather than just playing the game and letting their actions speak.

But yeah, for the most part I think there has been a major shift recently in watching streams versus playing... kind of like look at how many people watch sports on TV but never (or rarely) go out and play said sports. Nothing wrong with it especially considering how important viewership is in sports/esports, just people just prefer to watch and relax than play.

This. It's just like Football matches and their fans. Most of them have not even touched a footabll, but they discuss as they are Sir Alex Ferguson himself.

In my case, I haven't played in the past 2 weeks because the games is Puddinged up badly. Cheese and cheese and cheese.
1 Nov 2015, 06:52 AM

because i need to run my war spoil farm script all the time lol

and dont forget the invention of smartphones, 80% of the time im forum'ing via smartphone and couldnt play anyway in that time.
1 Nov 2015, 07:12 AM
Donator 11

IO think making the base factions F2P would go along way
1 Nov 2015, 07:32 AM

Agreed with this, they have so much DLC you might as well have them free.
1 Nov 2015, 07:46 AM

I will play a game, then watch one for an hour, then play another and so on.

I don't have the capacity (attention span or micro skills) to be full on playing solidly like all the streamers.

I play for fun whilst trying to climb the 1v 1 and 2 v 2 ladder and for me I need a rest for a bit.
1 Nov 2015, 10:04 AM

yeah for its scare to play rank with other player,
i start playing 2v2, which i keep on losing at all faction,

i ask for a guidance where i could improve my 2v2, which i did tnx to some strategist they help me alot on my 2v2,

at that time i was too scare to play 1v1 even tho i want to play 1v1,
n tnx to Luvnest, i finally found my courage to play 1v1,

as im not scared at losing the game at all,
cause losing is part of the game,

n the game was meant to be fun,
1 Nov 2015, 11:27 AM

+1 I think they would make more money in the long run. Most people don't want to pay $40 for the base game
1 Nov 2015, 13:14 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2015, 06:38 AMRMMLz

This. It's just like Football matches and their fans. Most of them have not even touched a footabll, but they discuss as they are Sir Alex Ferguson himself.

Did Fergie ever play to a serious level? :unsure: I don't think he did, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Back to topic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS