Login

russian armor

How to improve micro

16 Sep 2015, 03:28 AM

Hello everyone, does any one have tips on how to get better at micro. I would like to clarify that my micro is not good but not bad. Thank you for the help.
16 Sep 2015, 04:20 AM

The way I've had the most luck learning is by watching Atr3uh and Propagandacast.

Watching higher level players and hearing the commentary on their micro gives you a good idea of what good micro looks like, and from that you can evaluate your own micro skills like "I should have expected grenades in that engagement and dodged as they were in the air."

Typically you can develop habits that help like glancing at the unit badge things on your UI every 3 seconds- even in the heat of battle- to check if someone needs to be retreated or put into cover or whatever. You also want to make a habit of using hotkeys for absolutely everything. Want to build your T1 Wehr structure? Select pio, V, B, click.

Also the more you try to bring yourself up to the standards of people you watch, the more practice you get and the more you can do things quickly without thinking.
16 Sep 2015, 04:22 AM

we should try to define micro better, do you want to get better at positioning individual units during a firefight, or do u want to get better at macroing across the whole map and making sure your units are always doing something?

for the latter, you just need to keep reminding yourself to check up on all your units every few seconds. the easiest way for me is to 1. look at the top right corner at your units cards. 2. looking at the minimap every couple seconds. other ways that are very important is audio cues! a squad will tell you when an enemy squad is throwing a grenade at you, if theyre under attack, what kind of enemy theyre under attack from, and if theyre getting sniped!

another tool some people have failed to mention is the spacebar. pressing the spacebar will snap ur camera to the last notification, such as when a unit finishes training and walks onto the field, or when a unit finishes capping a point. so when you hear your announcer telling you your unit is finished training, hit space bar and immediately give it an order to where it should go. or if a unit finishes capping, hit spacebar so u can tell it to go cap another point.

the most important thing though is to always remind urself to look at the top right and make sure everything is in order. you will know wether ur units are engaged, dying, idle, suppressed, etc etc by looking at the top right.

theres one micro technique that is similar to the cloning technique from sc2. when you have a large number of units selected at once, you can press TAB to cycle through each unit in the group, and you can give them individual commands that are only issued to them instead of the whole group. this is useful when youre controlling blobs and want to get each squad into cover quickly or to spread out when artillery hits. its also useful when you have a large force in ur base and u want to move out into several areas of the map, you can select the whole group, press tab, order them to go to an area on the map, press tab again, order them to go to another area etc etc.
16 Sep 2015, 04:32 AM
16 Sep 2015, 06:23 AM
Senior Editor Badge

*In thick Russian accent*
Don't fuck up.

What Lemon said, really.

I always monitor stuff. Sometimes I even move units out of green cover into light cover into anticipation of a nade if I have several engagements going on more than 1 screen length away.
16 Sep 2015, 06:47 AM

16 Sep 2015, 07:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 06:47 AMRollo
learn tactical blobbing

Sprice is a bad coh2 role model :luvCarrot:

Play more, polish your awareness, bind tactical map to one of your mouse buttons, watch better players and analyze your loses to know where you need to improve.

That is what works for me.
16 Sep 2015, 07:28 AM

Riddle me this batman.

How, quite precisely does one firing a Ost/OKW HMG. i.e. tripod mounted MG42 anticipate to "dodge" a US tactical nuclear grenade?

e.g. #1. Sited in yellow cover on open ground on Faymonville, clear LOS of approaches. One squad of two is pinned, the other flanks because of narrow arc of fire. "T" is pressed the same time as USF Übernade animation occurs. Before HMG can actually flee (packing up is sooooo slow) entire HMG squad is killed leaving free pickup HMG under the mushroom mini-cloud. OK can pack up and flee when seen coming from afar, but really. <sigh>

e.g.#1 Langres. USF inf Überblob walks through fire from X2 firing Ost HMG co-sited and supported by adjacent Gren squad and Mortar firing HE behind. MG's are staggered and spaced so as to have entire blob coincidently within both arcs of fire. Blob continues to just move forward (walking, not crawling or suppressed/pinned)s like "The Blob" from the move of that title, completely ignoring suppression to throw grenades with as ready and endless a supply as a carton of giveaway over-ripe apples.

Apart from "Oh sh1te, USF of more than a single squad is heading my way. Let''s -"anticipate" and "micro"- press "T" and flee and give up position to survive, how exactly would you suggest one 'anticipate' and 'micro' -such a wannabe elitist BS word that - to counter AMRAAM missile style ranged and homing tactical nuclear warhead explosive characteristic 'grenades that are available so early and in such plentiful supply?

To be completely honest, the only 'strategy' I've seen of USF players who win from me is to blob and abuse their endless supply of Überkill -one nade kills any squad, HMG, or indeed any unit not armoured instantly with USFÜbernades to create total IMBA and thus field control from which there is no recovery in the 1v1 game. I'm trying to like this game I really am.., but Relic & SEGA are making it a difficult and tiresome chore.

As to what Rollo said. Although he's right in about what it is, "tactical blobbing" that's actually a contradiction in terms. There is NOTHING tactically adept about blobbing. OMG has RTS in 2015 come so far as to have really descended to mimic the Red Alert tank rush, the origin of blobbing which actually started the mindless blob and rush 'strategy', all over again?
16 Sep 2015, 07:51 AM
Donator 11

Wow this was really helpful and I have been playing for a long time, some really good points
16 Sep 2015, 15:31 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 07:28 AMWerw0lf
snip

-You don't need to pin a troop to make it combat ineffective.
-First case, you just need to suppress them both. If they throw smoke you have to move back. If 2 rifles aproach from different directions and your MG is alone, it's deserved to be pushed. Yellow cover is bad for MG cause they make them bunch up. Green cover (with the next patch) or nothing is better.
-You don't wait till you hear grenade! This applies to all MGs.
-For your second case, i beg to see a replay as i failed to see how double interlapping MG42 can't stop a blob (i guess 4-5 rifles). Smoke was used? On me! by a Cpt ?

OP: hotkeys + automatize actions. Anything that reduce your attention and frees you APM will be good.

1-If you don't use control groups, start by using 2 or 3 and then slowly add up. You want to mantain certain personal order on what number has what kind of troops. This will help you with the control and positioning of your army, as you don't need to scroll to the unit itself in order to give an order.
2-Utilize hotkeys all the time. You shouldn't be clicking the icons on the lower right bar. USE GRID HOTKEY. Similar abilities tend to be in the same places, so it's "easy" to access to them between units and factions. This is the difference between a dead tank and one which escapes using smoke/blitz.
3-Shift command orders. Specially useful for artillery. Shift + Barrage + click to go behind your lines.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★