Login

russian armor

How is DPS effected by cover?

14 Sep 2015, 04:26 AM

Sorry, second post about stats :P

For example, an OKW assault pioneer squad has 65 dps to a rear echelon's 16.

I read green cover gets .5 accuracy and .5 damage. So does that mean 65 dps equals 16 dps against troops in green cover? (65*.5 = 33*.5 = 16)

At close range (3m)
OKW is in no cover
RE is in Green

That means it's basically 16 dps vs 16 dps? My image is that assault pios are going to win that engagement every time but the stats tell otherwise. Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

14 Sep 2015, 04:35 AM

Actually, within 10 meters most cover bonuses are null. Special bonuses like Osttruppen's accuracy bonus or British rate-of-fire bonus will still apply, however.

So in the scenario above, Sturmpioneers would very easily clear out the Rear Echelon's.
14 Sep 2015, 04:38 AM

Wow, is that right? Trying to figure out DPS to units in cover is very complicated! I didn't even know of Osttruppen's bonus.
14 Sep 2015, 04:43 AM

Well don't forget about accuracy and the thing if you drop model your dps also fall
Echelons don't really scale good vs stormpios. I would say you can play these games with su combat enginers.
15 Sep 2015, 01:16 AM

Ok, so is my thinking correct that being in green cover cuts DPS by 75% usually?
15 Sep 2015, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ok, so is my thinking correct that being in green cover cuts DPS by 75% usually?

Pretty much, yeah. Some stat wizard might be able to tell ya more precisely, but that should be the gist of it since it halves two fairly simplistic factors to DPS, and 25% is 100% halved twice.
15 Sep 2015, 01:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2015, 01:31 AMVuther

Pretty much, yeah. Some stat wizard might be able to tell ya more precisely, but that should be the gist of it since it halves two fairly simplistic factors to DPS, and 25% is 100% halved twice.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I have been playing since CoH since 2006 and I'm still learning :P Seeing the actual numbers really makes cover seem essential. In the heat of the moment it's hard to concentrate on exactly how effective are some mechanics.
15 Sep 2015, 16:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Notice that green cover will now affect against explosives. It doesn't care where the shell lands, if you have cover between your unit and the enemy you'll receive the damage mofidier (this also applies to mortars).
15 Sep 2015, 21:56 PM

Notice that green cover will now affect against explosives. It doesn't care where the shell lands, if you have cover between your unit and the enemy you'll receive the damage mofidier (this also applies to mortars).

does that mean units in green cover take more or less damage from explosives?
15 Sep 2015, 23:31 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Pretty sure it has always been this way, they just removed it for one patch by mistake.
15 Sep 2015, 23:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

does that mean units in green cover take more or less damage from explosives?

Less, should be by 50% in all cases I think.

...though in most cases, aside from grenades (which do a maximum of damage equal to an infantry model's health) and a few weaker AT-intended weapons, the bunching will probably just worsen the weapon's AoE effect than being out in the open. Don't expect this to save many men from medium tank shells.
16 Sep 2015, 00:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2015, 23:52 PMVuther

Less, should be by 50% in all cases I think.

...though in most cases, aside from grenades (which do a maximum of damage equal to an infantry model's health) and a few weaker AT-intended weapons, the bunching will probably just worsen the weapon's AoE effect than being out in the open. Don't expect this to save many men from medium tank shells.

i was talking about grenades
16 Sep 2015, 00:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

i was talking about grenades

Totally halved. A squad at full health might be better off standing still than trying to dodge a grenade if you didn't see it coming the entire time.
16 Sep 2015, 00:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Sep 2015, 00:32 AMVuther

Totally halved. A squad at full health might be better off standing still than trying to dodge a grenade if you didn't see it coming the entire time.

thats good to know im sick of my guys getting killed by the axis grenade barrage ugh nasty stuff
16 Sep 2015, 00:53 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

thats good to know im sick of my guys getting killed by the axis grenade barrage ugh nasty stuff

Yeah, full-health squads in heavy cover will probably make it out of that one.
16 Sep 2015, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Sep 2015, 23:31 PMTobis

Pretty sure it has always been this way, they just removed it for one patch by mistake.

Yeah, i was refering that on the actual patch you are gonna get wiped so you have to dodge everything.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★