Login

russian armor

In House Jumbo.

Do u think the Jumbo belongs inthe amercan army?
Option Distribution Votes
28%
52%
20%
Total votes: 81
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
10 Aug 2015, 14:31 PM

How many of you think that the Sherman Jumbo should be non-doc and become available when all tiers are purchased in the American army. Or at all. Please vote.
11 Aug 2015, 01:47 AM

Hell yeah, the Jumbo would be excellent and a unique take on the heavy tank concept. Arm it with the Easy Eight's gun and give it the IS-2's Vet 2 Panther durability, then tweak it from there.

11 Aug 2015, 01:51 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

give it the IS-2's durability

Oh god please no
11 Aug 2015, 01:55 AM

Oh god please no

Vet 2 Panther's durability then? I want something that can take the role of a Heavy Tank, but not. Much like the Sherman Jumbo in real life.
11 Aug 2015, 01:57 AM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Vet 2 Panther's durability then? I want something that can take the role of a Heavy Tank, but not. Much like the Sherman Jumbo in real life.

Sounds better. Given the Jumbo was not a real heavy tank but in fact a better armored E8, he could gain a bit more durability with vet
11 Aug 2015, 02:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd imagine giving it IS-2 durability would probably veer a bit too close to the heavy tank role if you wish to avoid that. The durability factor is pretty big in the heavy tank equation - even if it's just an E8 gun, IS-2 durability basically means you've already got like half of a heavy tank, and an E8 gun is probably something like somewhere around 60-75% of a heavy tank gun.

REAL MATH!
11 Aug 2015, 02:04 AM

Sounds better. Given the Jumbo was not a real heavy tank but in fact a better armored E8, he could gain a bit more durability with vet

Nitpick, but it wasn't an up-armoured Easy Eight, just a standard M4A3. It's official name was M4A3E2 Assault Tank. The M4A3E8 'Easy Eight' was a separate version of the Sherman, primarily featuring the new Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension. :p
11 Aug 2015, 02:07 AM

I want something that can take the role of a Heavy Tank, but not. Much like the Sherman Jumbo in real life.

This is all i want from USF, at the very least. Something that doesnt explode instantly upon first contact with the enemy. Cant be too much to ask for one tank with real durability.
11 Aug 2015, 02:10 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

This is all i want from USF, at the very least. Something that doesnt explode instantly upon first contact with the enemy. Cant be too much to ask for one tank with real durability.

Spam REs for your armour screens
nee
11 Aug 2015, 02:46 AM

I think they just need to rework the regular Sherman's veterancy to improve armour; right now, no USF vehicle has armour bonus from veterancy or even upgrades besides M20. Meanwhile, all medium Axis armour have armour improvements. Even Soviet vehicles have no veterancy that improves armour. Or at least have armour upgrades with or instead of pintle MG.

At least then, you got Jumbos in the form of vet3 Shermans. The armour could be an upgrade but is locked behind veterancy, so if you ever try the vehicle crew switcharoo you still need to spend the munitions.

Regardless, I don't think it should also have 76mm gun though, it could just be HE only in exchange for greatly improved durability, whereas regulars have toggle for versatility, and for AT you have Jacksons for offensive firepower.
11 Aug 2015, 03:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2015, 02:46 AMnee
Regardless, I don't think it should also have 76mm gun though, it could just be HE only in exchange for greatly improved durability, whereas regulars have toggle for versatility, and for AT you have Jacksons for offensive firepower.

I disagree, I don't think USF's only heavy vehicle should be forcibly gimped for the sake of being gimped.
nee
11 Aug 2015, 04:07 AM

I don't see that as gimping a unit that doesn't presently exist; rather it's balance. If you want firepower you have AT gun and Jackson. The role of Jumbo, regardless of being a discrete unit or just a buffed regular Sherman, should not compete with the roles of other units.

That it's the USF's "only heavy unit" doesn't matter either way. A Jumbo is either a durable vehicle, or a durable vehicle that can dish out AT firepower better than regular Sherman. The latter IMO will just have people skip Jacksons and regular Shermans altogether. Such a unit would have no tactical drawbacks that encourage combined arms.

Anything that attacks the Jumbo that the latter cannot destroy can always be dealt with by covering Jacksons and AT guns anyways, so this gimping doesn't make the Jumbo useless. It WOULD be useless if that's the only thing you send up against a Jagdtiger, but that is what you call hardcounter, and not flanking.

Other abilities can also make up for the Jumbo's lack of integral AT firepower, such as support abilities that allow other tank killers to do their job better.

Without any of these ideas put in place, Jumbo is just USF's perfect vehicle. Which USF doesn't need.
11 Aug 2015, 04:18 AM

just give the sherman 800 hp and 24 size. It's already a large target at 23 size so just turn the sherman into a bullet sponge magnet.

the jumbo and the pershing were both pretty cool tanks, but we shouldn't be using them to balance the USF. Just buff the sherman.
11 Aug 2015, 11:43 AM

Jumbo a heavy tank? What some people may write....
11 Aug 2015, 20:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Aug 2015, 11:43 AMJohnnyB
Jumbo a heavy tank? What some people may write....

It's not a Heavy Tank, but it was used like one.
12 Aug 2015, 02:02 AM
Donator 11

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes sense why the OKW gets a KT for completing all tiers and the USF gets diddly.

You take the most AT heavy faction and pit them against an army with paper tanks...
nee
12 Aug 2015, 02:52 AM

It's not a Heavy Tank, but it was used like one.
Seeing that you're using the term so much, I think you need to actually define what you think a USF heavy tank would be.
12 Aug 2015, 03:09 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

No
USF needs pershing
12 Aug 2015, 03:21 AM

*smugly calls in Pershing*

ahhhh victory at last

*crawls up to frontline*

*instantly killed by a Jadgtiger or elefant*
12 Aug 2015, 06:58 AM
Patrion 14

I'd like to see the Jumbo, not sure on whether doc or non-doc would be better, though. OTOH, I'd hate to see the Pershing again.

But the Jumbo shouldn't have the 76mm gun or anything especially useful for offensive combat, it should just be a damage sponge.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★