Login

russian armor

Current 1v1 Meta

Which do you consider the strongest faction in the current 1v1 meta?
Option Distribution Votes
5%
80%
9%
5%
Total votes: 116
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
15 Jun 2015, 11:46 AM
Donator 11

Hello!

I'd like to hear your opinions on the current state of the 1v1 meta in terms of faction strengths. Having not played for a while, with some time opening up in the near future to jump on to the battlefield, I want to get an overview about the current state of the game.

What are the strengths & weaknesses of each faction? This is supposed to be a very general overview. I start with my understanding of the current situation, but bear in mind that this is just a suggestion since I lack the fresh experience.

OSTHEER
Strength: strong medium tanks / very well rounded
Weakness: weak early game / slow teching

SOVIETS
Strength: strong heavy tanks / strong early game
Weakness: mediocre infantry scaling

USF
Strength: strong early game / best standard infantry (rifles)
Weakness: micro-heavy late game

OKW
Strength: strong late game / high value units
Weakness: weak vs infantry spam

Again, this is just related to the current 1v1 meta!

What are your observations? Feel free to share your view / correct me! I also added a poll to see which you consider the strongest faction right now.

Cheers.
15 Jun 2015, 12:09 PM

IMO soviets are by far the strongest faction in 1v1 and in addition in 2v2.
Their guard motor tactics are ridiculously powerful. The German player, if unlucky, will bleed a lot of manpower due to 120mm and is not able to wipe soviet troops most of the time because of the large soviet squad sizes.

USF is very strong but has no heavy tanks late game. Though the Americans are very strong because they usually win the game before the end phase arrives.

15 Jun 2015, 12:15 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

15 Jun 2015, 12:26 PM
Donator 11

15 Jun 2015, 12:41 PM

Soviets win the 1v1 category by far.
15 Jun 2015, 13:06 PM

SU is the overall strongest faction, by a lot, and not just because of Guard Motor. If you want to start playing again, thats where I would begin. I'd recommend something along the lines of Guard Motor/Shock Rifle/Shock Heavy as a lineup, covers all bases from urban to open.
In the US vs OH matchup, much comes down to the map. Any map that allows early aggressive cutoff moves/and or fuel pressure is an OH nightmare, ie. Kharkov (especially West), La Gleize, Stalingrad, Semois, Kholodny Winter, etc. There are many ways to maximise this advantage, either by ie. spamming veteran Flamer Rifles into Cpt., or the more classical M20 timing push followed with BARs into Sherman, etc.
If you have long lanes with limited flanking opportunities, such as Minsk or a map like Langres where a triplecap is all but unattainable, well microed OH can bleed US so badly I actually see them in the lead, if you go full meta that is.
Overall, I think US is the slightly stronger faction, but its not a dramatic advantage by any means.

OKW is pretty hopeless in 1v1, unless you want to really challenge yourself or have a Herculean frustration tolerance I'd wait for the patch. Not that it will necessarily improve there, we'll see, but right now its not fun. I might add that its far less dire against US than it is against Soviets, in general at least.
15 Jun 2015, 13:13 PM

Hello!

I'd like to hear your opinions on the current state of the 1v1 meta in terms of faction strengths. Having not played for a while, with some time opening up in the near future to jump on to the battlefield, I want to get an overview about the current state of the game.

What are the strengths & weaknesses of each faction? This is supposed to be a very general overview. I start with my understanding of the current situation, but bear in mind that this is just a suggestion since I lack the fresh experience.

OSTHEER
Strength: strong medium tanks / very well rounded
Weakness: weak early game

SOVIETS
Strength: strong heavy tanks / strong early game
Weakness: mediocre infantry scaling

USF
Strength: strong early game / best standard infantry (rifles)
Weakness: micro-heavy late game

OKW
Strength: strong late game / high value units
Weakness: slow teching

Again, this is just related to the current 1v1 meta!

What are your observations? Feel free to share your view / correct me! I also added a poll to see which you consider the strongest faction right now.

Cheers.

Yeah, SU is pretty definitely the strongest in the current meta.

The thing with SU is that there is almost no need for teching, with the great synergy of their doctrines, and though conscripts aren't anything special in a straight up fight they have some great utility and and awesome reinforce rate and price. It really allows them to lay the pressure onto their opponents in the early game. It's entirely viable for an SU player to never build a single base building; they can rely on Guards, PTRS upgrades, or just plain AT grenades to fend off light armor or an early medium tank, and use the extra resources to dominate the map and deny their enemy fuel. Then by the time their starved Axis opponent finally gets some reasonable armor out it's already staring down the barrel of an IS-2 or a pair of T34/85s.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid your idea that OKW has slow teching is inaccurate; it's the OH that really get's screwed when it comes to teching. The need to first research an upgrade and then build a building really slows them down, plus the exorbitant fuel and MP costs which leaves them with a smaller army value compared to their enemies. Once again, many OH players will forsake anything above T2 and just bank for call-ins.

Meanwhile, USF has outstanding early game power just based on the fact that they have the best mainline infantry, hands down. Then you add their cheaper teching and the fact that they actually get something everytime they tech and it's very easy for USF to snowball their early game into a Sherman before their opponent can effectively fight back.

OKW isn't too bad either; their biggest issue is that Volksgrenadiers are absolutely terrible against enemy infantry, and Sturmpioneers can be very fragile and expensive. I'd say that OKW is all about rushing something to take the pressure off in the early game, whether that be a flak halftrack or a well-situated medic truck and an ISG. They also benefit greatly from their teching.

Altogether I think you'll find that the current meta is overwhelmingly dominated by call-ins. It's literally cheaper to bank for call-in armor than it is to actually tech up, and you'll find that most players don't even bother with tech these days, instead relying entirely on the same few doctrines.

You should also consider that there's a major patch coming out soon, and from what I've seen around the forums it's going to seriously shake up the meta, so this is probably a poor time to be asking about it.
15 Jun 2015, 13:13 PM
Patrion 14

In my opinion:
1. Soviets
2. USF/Ostheer
3.OKW
15 Jun 2015, 13:22 PM

Voted Guards Motor.
15 Jun 2015, 13:42 PM

SOV > OST > USF > OKW

SOV / OST is generally balanced if both sides abuse everything they can to the max.

Meaning Guard motor/Shock rifle and CAS/ STUG-E

Anything else other than these two doctrines tends to give the side which picked these meta doctrines the advantage.

I consider OST to be better than USF , but just because of CAS. The matchup generally is completely dependant on maps. OST tends to be better because it's more well rounded giving ostheer an advantage as the game drags on.

USF on langres or crossing is incredibly difficult to win. However, ostheer on stalingrad/la gleize/kholodny or semois winter struggles againts USF.

OKW is just bad in 1s right now because they can't do much againts mass infantry spam. M1919 rifles or flamer rifles, or guards/PTRS cons hiding behind sandbags.
15 Jun 2015, 17:24 PM

I believe opinion posts on this topic are obsolete.

..thanks to great work by Frans L.
coh2chart.com
15 Jun 2015, 17:31 PM

Permanently Banned
Soviets without a doubt. If I want a simple and easy game, I go soviets :)
15 Jun 2015, 18:09 PM

coh2chart.com

I hope you know those charts only show faction popularity in different game modes, it has nothing to show about balance and wins/losses.

I voted SU.
15 Jun 2015, 18:51 PM

I hope you know those charts only show faction popularity in different game modes, it has nothing to show about balance and wins/losses.

I voted SU.

1. Click on the 1v1 tab.
2. :facepalm:
15 Jun 2015, 19:22 PM
15 Jun 2015, 19:28 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, SU is pretty definitely the strongest in the current meta.

The thing with SU is that there is almost no need for teching, with the great synergy of their doctrines, and though conscripts aren't anything special in a straight up fight they have some great utility and and awesome reinforce rate and price. It really allows them to lay the pressure onto their opponents in the early game. It's entirely viable for an SU player to never build a single base building; they can rely on Guards, PTRS upgrades, or just plain AT grenades to fend off light armor or an early medium tank, and use the extra resources to dominate the map and deny their enemy fuel. Then by the time their starved Axis opponent finally gets some reasonable armor out it's already staring down the barrel of an IS-2 or a pair of T34/85s.

Meanwhile, I'm afraid your idea that OKW has slow teching is inaccurate; it's the OH that really get's screwed when it comes to teching. The need to first research an upgrade and then build a building really slows them down, plus the exorbitant fuel and MP costs which leaves them with a smaller army value compared to their enemies. Once again, many OH players will forsake anything above T2 and just bank for call-ins.

Meanwhile, USF has outstanding early game power just based on the fact that they have the best mainline infantry, hands down. Then you add their cheaper teching and the fact that they actually get something everytime they tech and it's very easy for USF to snowball their early game into a Sherman before their opponent can effectively fight back.

OKW isn't too bad either; their biggest issue is that Volksgrenadiers are absolutely terrible against enemy infantry, and Sturmpioneers can be very fragile and expensive. I'd say that OKW is all about rushing something to take the pressure off in the early game, whether that be a flak halftrack or a well-situated medic truck and an ISG. They also benefit greatly from their teching.

Altogether I think you'll find that the current meta is overwhelmingly dominated by call-ins. It's literally cheaper to bank for call-in armor than it is to actually tech up, and you'll find that most players don't even bother with tech these days, instead relying entirely on the same few doctrines.

You should also consider that there's a major patch coming out soon, and from what I've seen around the forums it's going to seriously shake up the meta, so this is probably a poor time to be asking about it.

Thx for your explanations. Since your statements regarding OKW/Ostheer are uncontested so far, I will include them in my initial post.

coh2chart.com

Interesting. Assuming the numbers are correct, it clearly shows the competitive deficit of OKW in the current 1v1 meta. 2v2 US seems very weak, which makes sense due to their late game problems. But in general it seems pretty even, no crazy OP/UP faction. Surprising, for such a complex RTS-game as CoH.

I guess RNG-god creates a lot of equality after all. ;)
15 Jun 2015, 19:28 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2015, 19:22 PMJawohl?
OKW :snfPeter:

rebel :snfBarton:
15 Jun 2015, 21:06 PM

USF: When used correctly it can wreck you. :foreveralone:
15 Jun 2015, 21:38 PM

I was AFK 2 months ... but USF is so easy to play.

Easy win, easy win

280 mp base unit vs 240 mp or 235 ... only in some maps unbalance, ostheer can win vs you for exemple ... kharkhov south for ostheer for exemple
15 Jun 2015, 21:39 PM

Soviet are just a bit better than ostheer ... but after it's depend of your luck too.

240 mp vs 240 mp = Rng Battle

I said nothing : 4 cons + 1 M3 + 2 guards upgrade win everything early MVGame it's mecanic because guards Upgrade win vs gren.

Only air Superiority OP can be a problem
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 45
unknown 34
Germany 453
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L