Login

russian armor

Swearing

26 May 2015, 19:11 PM

Why the gardening can't you swear any more in this game.

Those puddings at relic need to grow up.
26 May 2015, 19:28 PM

It's a shame really. I would be fine if they censored profanity in chat if they actually had in-game voice chat, but they don't have it when it's a pretty basic function in most multiplayer games.

I can use profanity in Dota 2 via voice chat and typing it, yet Relic feels that profanity doesn't fit in a rated M game. Let's also ignore the amount of profanity in the voice lines for several units.
26 May 2015, 19:31 PM

Relic is full of a bunch of gardening nice persons if you asked me. Apparently it's ok for the riflemen in COH1 to say "Jesus Conrad tie your fucking laces" and "Get your dicks swinging" in this M-Rated game, just not the people who actually play it.
26 May 2015, 19:33 PM

Its really silly… if it offends you, maybe there should be an option instead?

Its the usual gardening pudding from Relic.
26 May 2015, 20:19 PM

So tell me in which way would this game be any better if you could swear?
26 May 2015, 20:35 PM
Patrion 27

Counterpoint: How is it better since we can't swear?
26 May 2015, 20:38 PM

"Garden you, you flowering pudding" is much nicer to read from an rage quitting enemy.
I also think it would be better to manually enable and disable the chat filter but I can't understand the point that the game was better when having all the swearing.
26 May 2015, 20:45 PM

"Eat pudding" - best rage ever! :D
26 May 2015, 21:09 PM

It was implemented with Observer mode. It's there in the off-chance a viewer is watching that is easily offended.
26 May 2015, 21:52 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Fair question. Moved to Scrap Yard

It is not a question of 'growing up' - you usually find that educated mature adults do not find the need to use extreme expletives, in day-to-day conversations.

I am not a spokesman for Relic, so I cannot talk on behalf of their policy. I will, however, state that our board deprecates extreme bad language for 2 reasons: first and importantly, it tends to deter outsiders from joining, who think such stuff is toxic. Second, if somebody kicks off with expletives , it is highly likely that they will receive a response in kind.. and so bar-room brawls develop.

Now, there are some here who clearly salivate at the prospect of such brawls - they get out the popcorn etc... but most do not. And that is why I refer you to para 1 of our site rules, (n the bottom Right Hand corner of your screen).

Last, since somebody will undoubtedly refer to swearing by the troops in-game, this is carried out in a humorous context and not made out of anger or spite.
26 May 2015, 21:55 PM

"This FUCKING snow is in my pants Heins" - Grens 2k13-2k15
"Fucking Soviet Dogs" - Pioneers 2k13-2k14
"This Balance is Great!" - Relic Devs
Oh wait is that not swearing? :foreveralone:
26 May 2015, 22:51 PM

As soon as my pak40's stop exclaiming that joe stalin can suck their dick will be when I start applying a personal filter to my more... Expressive verbage. Until then I thought the enforcement email had a purpose. And to fence all of us in upsets me.

26 May 2015, 23:30 PM

^ Great scene from Casablanca, definitely a humorous moment.

cuss words in a M-Rated game is too much for some people to handle, especially in 2015. Watching Soviet Soldiers get instantly turned into quadruple amputees from the splash damage from your Tiger tank is just fine with relic however.
27 May 2015, 00:00 AM

To be honest there should be a profanity filter in game options...

On by default but with the option to turn it off... its abit daft.

Theres a game featuring people being blown to pieces but we cant say naughty words? come on... lol
27 May 2015, 00:57 AM
Donator 11

It doesn't really matter cause people know what words are censored and what their counter parts are. Example, Idiot > Nice Person. It adds humor seeing someone type "You gardening buddy, stop being a kitty cat." Much better than the alternative.
27 May 2015, 02:12 AM

Profanity filter does nothing to prevent actual abusive language in chat. I'm much more offended by someone telling me to kill myself, or to get cancer and die etc. than I am at someone saying shit when they misclick, or lose a unit to a one-shot or something similar.

If Relic really wants a feature that would help, include the ability to mute chat, or squelch certain players. Truly abusive players will always find a way around a simple filter anyway.
27 May 2015, 09:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It was implemented with Observer mode. It's there in the off-chance a viewer is watching that is easily offended.

Except that all chat won't show up in observer mode
27 May 2015, 10:55 AM
Patrion 15

Well, first of all there is a huge difference between an in-game unit sound file containing a expletive and this being used in game and someone swearing AT another person.

The chat filter isn't there because they don't think swear words should be in the game but because a minority of players use the in game chat to abuse other players.

They wanted to censor this abusive behaviour rather then the words themselves - and as they can't check P2P chat for context, they just censored the lot.

Personally it doesn't bother me - type what you want, but I get why they may have felt that it needed sorting. More likely is that the Publisher decided that they needed the filter and not Relic, IMO.

Eitherway, it should be a config option. But it isn't, and that doesn't really bother me because I'm playing CoH2 to...well play they game and not to type in the in game chat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★