Login

russian armor

People are probably taking this game too seriously

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
24 May 2015, 12:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 11:26 AMmeh

Do you know how dumb it is to get emotionally invested into something you have no control over? You're probably one of those people, and if so, you are retarded. Any true man who has a true sense of logic would not get that emotionally invested to the degree you are talking about. To give you an example go talk to a Surgeon, or better yet talk to a Cardio Surgeon. (My father is one) and he'll tell you (as he has raised me) that the most important thing is 'state of mind', and not to get too high or too low, if you let petty issues (Such as a soccer game result) control your emotions you're bound to have screw ups in life, in driving, in working, in relationships with others, everything and anything. It's one of the major causes along with substance abuse that drives people to make poor decisions. People who grow up tend to be able to make that differentiation, but then again not everyone grows up (Which is probably true for the majority of the COH2 community).

If you still disagree, I would love to see you go under the table with a surgeon who is emotionally invested and is having your definition of a 'Bad Day.' Sure you can sue him for Malpractice etc. etc. etc. but it still goes back to why you don't get emotionally invested into things to which you have no control over.

Each individuals has a capacity to which they can have pure focus/concentration and energy. What you choose to 'waste' yours on, is up to you, but those decisions can easily affect your life and where you end up in the grand scheme of things.

If you know a surgeon, go ask him yourself, if you don't know one, try to find one ask them. I promise you he will tell you that if anything he enjoys watching soccer, has a favorite team etc. etc. But he won't let the outcome of a match adversely affect his overall emotions. I'm over 1,000 miles away from you and I'm certain if you talk to one he'll say exactly that.

All I was saying is that my comparison to soccer is perfectly valid. I never claimed to be one of those people. My key point is that taking a hobby seriously like many coh2 players do is nothing unusual and considered normal at least in my culture.

Your post is nothing more than a theory. You could also argue that getting worked up over things that are completely irrelevant from an objective point of view functions as sort of an outlet that helps you to be able to stay calm when it comes to life challenges that actually matter.
meh
24 May 2015, 12:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 12:27 PMGiaA

All I was saying is that my comparison to soccer is perfectly valid. I never claimed to be one of those people. My key point is that taking a hobby seriously like many coh2 players do is nothing unusual and considered normal at least in my culture.

Your post is nothing more than a theory. You could also argue that getting worked up over things that are completely irrelevant from an objective point of view functions as sort of an outlet that helps you to be able to stay calm when it comes to life challenges that actually matter.

Yeah, they call that meditation or 'Mindfulness' --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

intentional, accepting and non-judgemental focus of one's attention on the emotions, thoughts and sensations occurring in the present moment

If your argument is to stay calm, it's been proven thousands of time over that meditation or the practice of mindfulness is far superior to that of other outlets to which you want to name. Even in sports this is the viewed as among the best practices, if sports is your go to route --> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/phil-jackson-meditation-coaching-tactics_n_3606632.html

Phil Jackson, 9 NBA titles worked with both Kobe and Jordan. I don't care at all about basketball, but again this is just another example that validates my point... I often ride my road bicycle to do just this, often if I were to have my mind cluttered with other garbage I could end up in a nasty accident as I average around 24+ mph as I ride though the mountains and coastal front. Anyways I'm going to do just that now, and enjoy my Memorial Day Weekend, have a good Sunday... Peace...

It just dawned on me that I actually know alot of NFL players to whom I tutored while in school. Now granted they might not be the smartest individuals, if you talked to them you'd find out that alot of them have the same mentality as even a surgeon as I mentioned earlier. Just talk to them, they're very much all alike, they neither get too high or too low. I'm only mentioning this because I want to state that it has no correlation with intelligence. I'm willing to venture that MANY athletes have the same ideology, and if they don't they often get criticized for it.
24 May 2015, 14:34 PM
Coder Red Badge

People play poker professionally. People play Hearthstone professionally. Dota 2, the second-largest competitive game right now, has entire heroes designed around RNG. Saying a game can't be taken seriously because it has random elements is absurd. There are a lot of issues keeping CoH2 from being taken seriously on a large scale, but randomness in gameplay isn't one of them, and getting upset at people for taking the game seriously is entirely counterintuitive. The more people who take the game seriously, the better it is for the health of the game overall.
24 May 2015, 14:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 08:22 AMSierra
Cookieez got it right, it's competitive. When you've got thousands of little snakes all abusing the cracks that make this game as shitty as it is, it becomes an un-fun shitstorm.

To elaborate, I'm getting really tired of this shitty T-34/85 Call-In Meta, I'm also EXTREMELY tired of how Allied tanks can effortlessly run over infantry and give no fucks like it's Grand Theft Auto.

Im also really tired of this shitty Tiger Call-In Meta, Im also EXTREMELY tired of how CAS can shut you down effortlessly like it ironically happened to the Germans 1944/45.
24 May 2015, 15:01 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

whoever mentioned the Referees in sports and RNG...

It actually makes perfect sense that people get upset over a bad officating call in sports,and upset over bad RNG. they're basically the same thing.

Some thing you cant control ruining your hobby..whether its watching sports,playing sports,watching COh2,playing coh2.

Coh2 is no different than a typical hobby,really.
and people tend to take their hobbies seriously.

At least people I know.

But then on the flipside if you take the referees out of the mix,the game will become out of control and will transform into a totally different game that you probably wont be a fan of.

If you take RNG out completely,the game will be so controlled that it wont be COH anymore,and you wont be a fan anymore.
24 May 2015, 15:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 14:34 PMInverse
People play poker professionally. People play Hearthstone professionally. Dota 2, the second-largest competitive game right now, has entire heroes designed around RNG. Saying a game can't be taken seriously because it has random elements is absurd. There are a lot of issues keeping CoH2 from being taken seriously on a large scale, but randomness in gameplay isn't one of them, and getting upset at people for taking the game seriously is entirely counterintuitive. The more people who take the game seriously, the better it is for the health of the game overall.

I think people are complaining because it is TOO random.

This is why the World Poker Tour doesn't use wildcards or jokers. That would add an unacceptably high level of randomness.

I agree RnG has its place in CoH but not in its current form.
24 May 2015, 15:51 PM

I think people are complaining because it is TOO random.

This is why the World Poker Tour doesn't use wildcards or jokers. That would add an unacceptably high level of randomness.

I agree RnG has its place in CoH but not in its current form.

I still think that's a myth. As long as the better player wins everything's fine.

Edit: And the whole myth has developed from scrubs shouting RNG after they lose even though they're not even close to a level where RNG decides games. It's the same with all the BLOB whiners.
24 May 2015, 16:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 15:51 PMGiaA

I still think that's a myth. As long as the better player wins everything's fine.

Edit: And the whole myth has developed from scrubs shouting RNG after they lose even though they're not even close to a level where RNG decides games. It's the same with all the BLOB cry babies.

Sure, when players lose they may feel an exaggerated sense that RnG cost them the game.

Unfortunately, I'm painfully aware that RnG has not cost me any games, just my own bad play.

I suppose most of my RnG complaints are fixable by changing squad-clumping. mortar one-shots might go away if not that for that.

So I agree you with that probably RnG is not such a serious issue.

I have another feeling about blobs - I think it spoils the gameplay. That's a matter of taste though. If you're into blobbing up, then you'll probably be enjoying CoH2 very much.

And why call other forum users cry babies? We could probably get by without insults.
24 May 2015, 16:45 PM

Sure, when players lose they may feel an exaggerated sense that RnG cost them the game.

Unfortunately, I'm painfully aware that RnG has not cost me any games, just my own bad play.

I suppose most of my RnG complaints are fixable by changing squad-clumping. mortar one-shots might go away if not that for that.

So I agree you with that probably RnG is not such a serious issue.

I have another feeling about blobs - I think it spoils the gameplay. That's a matter of taste though. If you're into blobbing up, then you'll probably be enjoying CoH2 very much.

And why call other forum users cry babies? We could probably get by without insults.

Fixed it for you :P
24 May 2015, 17:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 16:45 PMGiaA

Fixed it for you :P

Gg, Well trolled :P
24 May 2015, 18:20 PM

Im also really tired of this shitty Tiger Call-In Meta, Im also EXTREMELY tired of how CAS can shut you down effortlessly like it ironically happened to the Germans 1944/45.

Except Tigers are pretty garbage and are frontally penetrated by Jacksons that are a fraction of their cost and 3 times their speed and acceleration capable of kiting them to death.

King Tigers are no better, and in some cases, actually worse! CAS Doctrine seems to be the only thing that shuts down infantry spam and infantry blobs, besides you can't blame CAS for being one of the only doctrines that actually does its job and does it well.

On the flipside Allies still have Mark-Target that instantly makes all Axis armor paper thin and they still have Lol-Rocket Strike P-47's.
24 May 2015, 19:10 PM

Heated discussion shows that people are invested in the game. Sure, there's never an excuse to be angry or rude, but such is life.
24 May 2015, 20:26 PM

Let's make a try

RNG wins me the game or not?

My opinions is not, we had both lot of successes and failures during the game. He probably call it RNG because I manage to save my tanks every time (except from his stuka strike, I was microing somewhere else)

So I saved my tanks sometime in the edge... But he also manages to save his squads the same way, many times I my shots didn't made any damage to his troops. And if I remember well I OS one of his grenadiers, but that because of the pacing.

Now I agree with some people here, there are many ways to put a limit to the RMG variable, Uppor and Lower limits. The problem isn't the RNG by itself but thats it isn't controlled at all.
24 May 2015, 20:57 PM

Permanently Banned
Is2 call in meta > tiger call in meta.
24 May 2015, 22:37 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I like playing this game because I play with friends in TAB because I'm not good enough to have real friends. :foreveralone:

Also, I am halfway decent at this game and like to take it seriously. I'm getting better now at accepting squad wipes, for example... If a tank I have dies in two seconds after going on the frontline, I put it in front of some AT guns. A lot of AT guns, actually.

If I have a squad I leave alone for five minutes and it dies, well, fuck me, that's my fault.

If I have a con squad moving through the open with three men and a GrW 34 mortar round lands on it, I accept the heat-seeking mortar rounds that are in Coh2 (just like heat-seeking schrecks from volks).

If my five man airborne squad gets one-shotted by a Tiger as it comes around a stone wall because of clumping/aoe effects, well, that's fucking awesome for that guy.

What really makes me mad though, is when I put my HMG42 in a building at the five minute mark and it dies because of the setup bug.

meh.
coh2 is fun.
24 May 2015, 23:07 PM

Is2 call in meta > tiger call in meta.

Don't care ?
24 May 2015, 23:22 PM

e
jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 11:19 AMmeh

My point is a you're a Hypocrite, thats my point.

hypocrite
[hip-uh-krit]
noun
a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

look, it's the shitposting that occurs afterwards. i think people take those FORUM POSTS too seriously, ie. that is how flame wars begin... you nailed it. emotions over something out of their control, spilling over into hateful expression.
so, please. tell me how my role as a volunteer writer on a video game website is in-congruent with that position? presuming my role even related to the forums, if anything, wanting to participate in discussions in other, not so vitriolic, areas of the game could be construed as the exact opposite. or can you not find that in a google search?

i'm going to stop, 'cos it's starting to get personal. in which case, you would be entirely correct, but just bear this mind, calling someone hypocritical in a negative context implies an in and out knowledge of their beliefs, AND projects your own understanding and framework on someone else's actions, and to a degree culture, relying on an assumption of personal exceptionalism.

and i mean, really man. if i wanted to, couldn't i throw it right back at you, and say you're being hypocritical because you're getting worked up by the actions of the mob, which you effectively have 0 agency over?
25 May 2015, 00:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 May 2015, 09:51 AMGiaA

How much impact does a soccer fan (or any sports fan for that matter) have on the game he's watching ? None, literally no impact at all. And yet it's completely normal in germany to get worked up over a soccer match.

as a proud lfc supporter, and having played in some monstrous away venues. i think fans have a hugeee impact on the game. for the exact emotional and psychological reasons discussed, it's one of the reasons why home field, court etc. in playoffs are so coveted. but i'll agree that those factors, unlike rng, are very difficult to frame, measure and thus to rationalize.

and as a final aside: bemoaning or lauding what's seen as uncontrollable has been a stalwart in human culture. who am i to decide what's deemed appropriate and acceptable behaviour? what's foolish, rash, and bullish, or on the other side as, luminary or insightful. come what come may, i will go about my life, and appreciate each spectrum as passion, and part of the human experience. humanity.
aaa
25 May 2015, 02:15 AM

Arent they going to release any patch soon? I read smth like that but nothing specific
25 May 2015, 06:29 AM

I don't find rng as frustrating as maphack. The game has not enough anti-cheat protection.

Safer tactics are reducing rng effects sometimes. This is one of the reasons for which blobbing it's used so much. Combined arms expose you to even more rng besides requiring more micro. I have nothing against blobbers, tbh. And I got beatend several times because of opponent's blob.

Combining blobbing with maphack, now that is total shit. Blobbing is allowed by the gameplay, maphack and cheats are something that is outside the game. A blobber without maphack can make uninspired attacks and lose engagements. He can enter into an mg fire ark, he can step on mines. He can come across a Tiger, a Buldozer, Etc, etc. A blobber who sees everything will never make a mistake. He will come with his blob only where you are unprepaired, every time. This is the problem, and I bet some of you lost BECAUSE of that, not because of rng or other things. As much as such discutions are not welcomed by the mods (why? this is a mistery for me), no matter what coders will tell you, this phenomenon is real.

This is one reason for which you feel frustrated in COH2, guys.
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 45

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment