Login

russian armor

CoH2, is it pay to win?

13 Apr 2015, 15:22 PM

Is it? In its current state? Conscript PTRS and all that?
13 Apr 2015, 15:28 PM

technically you can get anything from war spoils.

With that said with 2 evenly matched players the one with more options will have the advantage of course.

But its not like some p2w games like Age of Empires online for example where i can buy consumable damage buffs and units. So i think the integrity of the game is still intact but I also think you NEED to buy the DLC commanders to be competitive.
13 Apr 2015, 15:30 PM
Donator 22

Naah the stock doctrines are overall usually the best ones for soviets, usf and okw. Only ost in current meta needs premium doctrines(ones with the tiger). Which you still can get from war spoils.
13 Apr 2015, 15:31 PM

Pay to win? you can't be serious.. USF and OKW has the best basic doctrines in the game, and OST and Sov has very powerful commanders.

OKW has Command Panther and JT commanders
USF has Paras/Priests,1919's/ and M10's
Sov has Sock rifle frontline(!), Gaurds motor
Ost has Elephant/Hulldown,Pak43
13 Apr 2015, 15:36 PM

Nope, vannila doctrines are the best. Especially for soviets.

Ostheer metagame is with premium doctrines, but it can do fine without them really.
13 Apr 2015, 15:38 PM

Cons PTRS all the time? Hmm Ive faced only once PTRS blob so I would not say that.

And it's not P2W if you can get all commaders from war spoils. Not to mention that best SU doctrines are in fact stock ones, OKW and USF have ver good stock units and they dont need to rely on commanders so much, while Ost has so many commanders with Tiger that you always have something.

But even then, when sale is on, 0,75 or 0,99$ for a doctrine is hardly P2W if you ask me.
13 Apr 2015, 15:39 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

In the past it was, but not in the current state.
13 Apr 2015, 15:48 PM

It is p2w by definition because it takes ages to get commanders from war spoils. A player can have the advantage over the other. but this game has no professional players where it might matter.

So technically no p2w
13 Apr 2015, 15:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2015, 15:39 PMBudwise
In the past it was, but not in the current state.

It is, you have a large advantage in 1v1 with mech. assault and/or elite troops, same goes with rifle company. Other more arguable choices are scavenge, lightning war, counterattack, etc. (Not sure if fortification is paid but every okw 1v1 v. Soviet uses that doc).

It doesn't matter how cheap the commanders are when on sale or how you have a (tiny) chance of getting better commanders through war spoils. If you want a competitive game you can't have this shit give a player an advantage from the very start of the game because they happened to have spent more money on it or played longer.
13 Apr 2015, 15:57 PM

Lol'd.
Best thread this week.
10/10
Would read again.
13 Apr 2015, 16:06 PM

No. It is not.
13 Apr 2015, 16:15 PM

unbalanced? yes
some bad designs? yes
p2w? no
13 Apr 2015, 16:20 PM

It is, you have a large advantage in 1v1 with mech. assault and/or elite troops, same goes with rifle company. Other more arguable choices are scavenge, lightning war, counterattack, etc. (Not sure if fortification is paid but every okw 1v1 v. Soviet uses that doc).

It doesn't matter how cheap the commanders are when on sale or how you have a (tiny) chance of getting better commanders through war spoils. If you want a competitive game you can't have this shit give a player an advantage from the very start of the game because they happened to have spent more money on it or played longer.

Yes, this is what I think. I mean, I´ve read about the overpowered conscript PTRS doctrine, yet I could not find it among my commanders, which means I am really disadvantaged. However, I understand Relic and Sega. They have to get their money somewhere. And since all the big publishers do all kind of bullshit nowadays (day 1 DLC, premium accounts...), they have to do it aswell. The evolution of gaming industry in this regard has been really sad for the last 5 - 6 years. I hope another crash is around the corner, but the costumers don´t seem to give a damn about what they are being served anymore.

But that is just my opinion. Propably gonna play CoH2 anyway...
13 Apr 2015, 16:24 PM

P2W..no.

Infuriating reward system that has been broken for ~1 year and makes no sense...definitely YES.
13 Apr 2015, 16:29 PM

Well, we gamers behave like idiots to be honest.

People are throwing money on the projects they didn't even seen in action. Pre order culture and all that.
In Star Citizen for example people are spending heavy money to but items that don't exist for a game no one even seen a single fragment of gameplay. (hangar and arena module aren't gameplay as they don't represent the game and are only here to boost the sale of new ships)

All this allow craps like Assassin Creed Unity to profit when 8 years ago no one would buy it. I guarantee.
13 Apr 2015, 16:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

@BearGryllsFan: however unfair it may seem to you, I consider that you may be trolling. I see you started a thread already, about why Good Old Boys are no longer around (with an unnecessarily aggressive thread title, which I have already restrained - and yes, that thread drew out a troll....).

Now this thread... If you have more lined up...there may be consequences. :) You are not splitting this community. Polite, divergent views? Fine! Stoking Civil War? Ban :)

Non-Balance thread moved to Scrap Yard
13 Apr 2015, 17:37 PM

Really? Mech assault i agree with. Definately disagree with that. Rifle company isint even the best USF doctrine. Armor is currently the best 1v1 doctrine for the USF.

ATM armor > airborne >rifle/infantry> recon > mechanized.
13 Apr 2015, 17:54 PM

This is a troll thread,coh2 isn't p2w if you played the game youd know that
13 Apr 2015, 19:34 PM

This is a troll thread,coh2 isn't p2w if you played the game youd know that

Ehm, no, I have to disagree on this one. Even though it may not be intentional by the developers, in its current state, when most of the OP abilities are available only to those, who paid for DLC (commanders), it is pretty much the definition of pay to win. I know it is a balance problem, and that it will change most likely, but until that happens, it is pay to win.

@BearGryllsFan: however unfair it may seem to you, I consider that you may be trolling. I see you started a thread already, about why Good Old Boys are no longer around (with an unnecessarily aggressive thread title, which I have already restrained - and yes, that thread drew out a troll....).

Now this thread... If you have more lined up...there may be consequences. :) You are not splitting this community. Polite, divergent views? Fine! Stoking Civil War? Ban :)

Unnecessarily aggressive thread title? We are talking about a game here. Besides, I did post it in the vCoH section, so that fanboys would not be irritated. Yet it seems it is not enough.

I just asked a simple question about the game. I apologize if it caused any misunderstandings, it apparently did, because it had to be removed, but I don´t think it could be considered "offensive" or "aggressive". I am just looking for honest opinions, while also posting my own. And some people seem to agree with me, so I don´t see the problem. About splitting the community... I don´t think there is a way to stop it. Some people play vCoH and hate CoH2, some people play CoH2 and hate vCoH. And this site is about everything CoH related. I think the community already is split, CoH2 is just bigger, because it has a lot of new players, who haven´t ever played vCoH.
Hux
13 Apr 2015, 19:55 PM
Patrion 14

I think it's less about creating overpowered paid commanders and more a lack of foresight regarding after effects of implemented balance changes post patch.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★