Login

russian armor

Relic: No Japanese faction in CoH2

5 Apr 2015, 03:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2015, 02:39 AMShang
So suddenly from all the realism, design, doctrinal style etc.. reasons it comes down to the only argument that they just don't appeal to you.

No, the reasoning is that their ground forces did not have the strength to go toe-to-toe with the Soviet Union or the United States. They were a Naval power and an Air power, but they did not do armoured warfare well. In CoH2 they could have an early-game, and a weakened mid-game, but they would have zero late-game. How would they face off against E8's, 85mm's, let alone IS-2's?
5 Apr 2015, 03:51 AM

No, the reasoning is that their ground forces did not have the strength to go toe-to-toe with the Soviet Union or the United States. They were a Naval power and an Air power, but they did not do armoured warfare well. In CoH2 they could have an early-game, and a weakened mid-game, but they would have zero late-game. How would they face off against E8's, 85mm's, let alone IS-2's?
In real life yes. In a video game, there a plenty of ways to make it work.
5 Apr 2015, 05:45 AM

Which brings me back to my original post:

Nah, you just need a lot of historical fiction to make them work.
5 Apr 2015, 18:25 PM

If you wanted Italy or Japan you would basically have to give them all of their prototype units that never saw mass production, and even then they would still struggle and would need major boost to stay competitive. Also they would have a very hard time creating doctrines for them.
5 Apr 2015, 19:06 PM

In the next generation of people, history will state that allies will be considered the bad guys and Axis the good guys which were mis-understood, with all this political correctness. Also, go tell a WW2 vet that his 1930s,1940s talk is racist and to shut his mouth, se how that works for you. People are so open minded about everything that they become closed minded on how to discern things these days.

My grandfather was a WW2 vet in the pacific war. This ww2 generation has one of the strongest back bones in the past 100 years, which our generation will never meet with all this political correctness.

Speaking in the 1930s and 1940s talk, I think we should have the 'Japs' in the CoH2 game.
6 Apr 2015, 03:49 AM

If you wanted Italy or Japan you would basically have to give them all of their prototype units that never saw mass production, and even then they would still struggle and would need major boost to stay competitive. Also they would have a very hard time creating doctrines for them.
As long as they have a semi-decent medium and medium TD (of which they have built) there is plenty of ways to build a faction to make up for lacking heavy vehicles such as snares, emplacements, and abilities. Vehicle stats can always be stretched a bit (just look at the penetration of the t34-85 vs the SU-85). It's not like they will be facing any King Tigers. And the US gets along just fine without heavies.
6 Apr 2015, 03:55 AM

hahaha this reminds me of the time my friend got absolutely blasted by an asian teacher at high school in art class.

My friend was drawing a picture of a 'bunyip', which is some native Australian mythical creature. When the teacher asked what he was drawing he misinterpreted calling him a 'dumb nip' as opposed to 'bunyip'. Some wierd ass Jackie Chan shitstorm rage ensued after :D
28 Apr 2015, 23:25 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

To wrap this thread up, and for record, in case the question arises again in the future, this is the reply from Quinn Duffy in a Q & A on 28 April 2015.

Hey, good question, and I think I can be pretty definitive that we won't see the Imperial Japanese Army make an appearance in COH2.
7 Oct 2016, 22:36 PM

Japs is maybe only a shorcut ( for US People ) but in WW2 it was a Rassism name for the Japanese given from the Us Soldiers.
Im in Japan every second Year because of my Wife and belive me : for the Japanese People its still today an absolutly Rassist Word !!!!
Belive it or not but this is Fact !

Greetings Orklord
8 Oct 2016, 08:05 AM

To clarify: I have never seen "Japs", or "John Jap", or "Nips" as racial slurs. It is the equivalent of "Tommy/Tommies" or "Jerries".

"Japs" is short for Japanese; " Nips" is short for "Nipponese"

and "Paki" is short for Pakistani. Being a shorter version doesn't mean it isn't a racial slur. "Chink" is a shorter form of Chinese.

8 Oct 2016, 11:02 AM

Why are you people even arguing about this? Just let it be lol
8 Oct 2016, 12:14 PM

the issue of lack of armored Japanese who worked in World War II to put in the game, they can simply by the prototypes that have been developed by the Japanese, despite never act in war, were decent vehicles yes, and it would be very pleasant to see them in COH. the own comet of the British never served in World War II, but it is in the game!
8 Oct 2016, 16:36 PM

Ugh with the thread necro.

But to pretend this is all valid here, Japanese, Italian, Hungary, etc, would probably be best implemented as a reskin and special voice acting.

Germany provided considerable military support to its allies, so the idea of a platoon of non-German Axis people using German equipment is probably more plausible than trying to implement an entire independent faction that has to balance itself with all the other barely manageable factions.
8 Oct 2016, 17:04 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Oct 2016, 12:14 PMTom_BR
the issue of lack of armored Japanese who worked in World War II to put in the game, they can simply by the prototypes that have been developed by the Japanese, despite never act in war, were decent vehicles yes, and it would be very pleasant to see them in COH. the own comet of the British never served in World War II, but it is in the game!

Comets actually did fight during operaton plunder. In fact all vehicles used in coh franchise were used in battle during ww2 and this is important clue when you wonder if a some vehicle will or won't be used in this franchise.
9 Oct 2016, 14:58 PM

And Germ is short for German.

Go figure...
9 Oct 2016, 15:01 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

and "Paki" is short for Pakistani. Being a shorter version doesn't mean it isn't a racial slur. "Chink" is a shorter form of Chinese.

1) Please don't necro. ;)

2) I agree the modern terms 'Paki' may have connotations, and certainly 'Chink' does have.

The terms I used in my post which you quoted, were common terms used in WWII, when the concept of political correctness was not even thought about. e.g. the name of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's dog/Eyeties/Wogs/Wops. I have written those last three expressions, bcs they are ensconced in a past era only.

I have not set out the name of the dog, since it has translated unfavourably into modern parlance.

And to finish, I repeat:

Hey, good question, and I think I can be pretty definitive that we won't see the Imperial Japanese Army make an appearance in COH2.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★