Login

russian armor

Do you think CoH multiplayer will go f2p?

16 Feb 2015, 14:59 PM
Donator 11

Just sitting here eating breakfast and just thinking about CoH.
What do you guys think? I figure the singleplayer stuff would still be paid for content.
16 Feb 2015, 15:04 PM

I think (and hope) it won't. The cheaters flood would be unstopable. And why the hell did I pay for this game anyway?
16 Feb 2015, 15:04 PM

Maybe in 10 years, when SEGA has enough profits from the amount of DLC spammed throughout the years, so they can do well from "supporting" Relic.
Good thing I've never invested a dime into this game, got WFA and CoH2 for free thanks to several raffles I didn't know I was in. :D
I honestly believe it's worth $5-10 on a decent balance patch month.
16 Feb 2015, 15:10 PM

YES. The cow been milked enough and it's time to make it F2P.

You heard it here first.
16 Feb 2015, 15:20 PM
Benefactor 115

16 Feb 2015, 15:34 PM
Donator 11

Well we saw A Meta map a long time ago, Supplys, War Effort, as well as Custom commander ability packs. I wouldn't be surprised with their free weekends and such that the multiplayer portion of the game could go f2p.

All large competitive games such as Dota 2, League, starcraft, are going f2p.
17 Feb 2015, 00:48 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 39

I'm 100% sure it will go f2p.
17 Feb 2015, 01:09 AM

Going F2P would be the best thing CoH2 could possibly do.

The sheer amount of population influx would greatly relieve much of the matchmaking woes. This is great for everyone. Even publicity would be fantastic. What was the user count for Ami's last tournament, almost 2k? That's very good, but with advertisement and F2P he'd have 5k+. That's leverage.

Most new players are buying CoH2 at a discount such as steam sale. Keep in mind that when not on sale a single commander is as high as $3.99, so why even bother selling the main game for $10 and WFA $5. Open the floodgates and DLC revenue would far, far surpass what they are making on copies.

I've spend a lot of money on CoH2, I even bought AA despite still not playing it. But I don't lose a thing if CoH2 goes F2P. I gain everything.

Plus maybe a influx of poor, drunk Russies would help allied matchmaking.
17 Feb 2015, 01:29 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

I wouldn't mind if the multiplayer is going to be free to play. Whatever gets more people into the game. F2p RTS right now would have a big impact on the competetive scene if you ask me.
17 Feb 2015, 02:21 AM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Feb 2015, 01:09 AMHambone

The sheer amount of population influx would greatly relieve much of the matchmaking woes. This is great for everyone. Even publicity would be fantastic. What was the user count for Ami's last tournament, almost 2k? That's very good, but with advertisement and F2P he'd have 5k+. That's leverage.

You mean stream viewers.

Can barely get 128 participants to show up on the day to fucking play the game.
17 Feb 2015, 08:26 AM
Patrion 28

i don't think sega or relic have either the guts to do it or the skill to do it successfully.
17 Feb 2015, 09:21 AM

i don't think sega or relic have either the guts to do it or the skill to do it successfully.

Exactly. I more concerned about their Business model (in other words, skill) if they are going to do this.
17 Feb 2015, 09:31 AM

There wouldn't be any big changes to now. People will start with no bulletins and only 3 commanders. They can unlock new things with war spoils but can also buy bulletin packs and commanders.

It would increase the player base immensly but on the other hand they would somehow snub the people that payed for the game. Because only commanders and (rather ugly) skins are not worth the 70€ I payed for this game with WFA.
17 Feb 2015, 09:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Feb 2015, 15:34 PMMittens

All large competitive games such as Dota 2, League, starcraft, are going f2p.

Not really.
"extended trial" isn't really F2P and comparing RTS to MOBAs isn't really a good one down to the payment model.
17 Feb 2015, 09:42 AM
Patrion 14

It would increase the player base immensly but on the other hand they would somehow snub the people that payed for the game.
Team fortress 2 did the same and it was widely considered as a great move. But then, Gaben can get away with stuff like that. Relic doesn't have much good will with existing fans.

Speaking as someone who practically preordered EVERYTHING (CoH2, AA, WFA), I for one would not mind CoH2 becoming f2p, I have like 1200+ hrs or something, every cent I poured into this game has paid off in spades. More players in automatch can only do good for this game.
17 Feb 2015, 10:07 AM
Benefactor 3110

Team fortress 2 did the same and it was widely considered as a great move. But then, Gaben can get away with stuff like that. Relic doesn't have much good will with existing fans.

Speaking as someone who practically preordered EVERYTHING (CoH2, AA, WFA), I for one would not mind CoH2 becoming f2p, I have like 1200+ hrs or something, every cent I poured into this game has paid off in spades. More players in automatch can only do good for this game.

I would not mind f2p either. I mean, i played had fun and honestly what is the difference betweeen a steam sale every 2 months where the game is avalable for 5-8 $ and f2p.

Best thing would be to just make multiplayer f2p and get some money for skin, leave the singleplayer at a small entry price so relic gets some money from there too.

It would have been best from the beginning if multiplayer (ladder) would not have been affected by Commanders at all. It was not a smart decission. If ladder is such a small group there was not a chance to earn money from them at the beginning so why annoy them with p2w commanders.
In Comp Stomps /fun mulitplayer on the other hand, which i did not play in the past, p2w would have been funny. Getting a commander with 3 king Tiger in lategame would have been funny. I would have paid for it.

The wrong decission was from the beginning not to divide the small e-sport ladder Community from the rest. The point behind was understandable (making a small group even smaller does not sound too smart), but in the end nobody got what they wanted.

I really hope relic learns from coh2 and does not do the mistake with dow3 or whatever title comes next again. In my dreams relic fixes that problem with coh2.

Best Regards
awa59
17 Feb 2015, 10:20 AM

Permanently Banned
I am sorry but, i pay for game, pay for commnaders/camo, and now its be f2p. I hope Relic write why thay do it. It was 5 years Relic plan about game and thay see that thay fail and decide to do f2p ?
17 Feb 2015, 10:26 AM

I am sorry but, i pay for game, pay for commnaders/camo, and now its be f2p. I hope Relic write why thay do it. It was 5 years Relic plan about game and thay see that thay fail and decide to do f2p ?

It's just theoretical, Relic did not announce anything.
17 Feb 2015, 10:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Feb 2015, 15:04 PMVonIvan
Good thing I've never invested a dime into this game, got WFA and CoH2 for free thanks to several raffles I didn't know I was in. :D
I honestly believe it's worth $5-10 on a decent balance patch month.

It's unbelievable how some people spend time with games they don't like. I have loads of games and would have zero problem going to any of those if I didn't like the one at hand.
17 Feb 2015, 11:09 AM
Donator 11

I dont see Steam gaining anything if coh2 goes free 2 play
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment