Login

russian armor

Secure Mode (Soviet Vet1 tank ability)

3 Feb 2015, 13:54 PM
Patrion 14

It was nerfed once into totally worthless state, 30 muni for increasing acceleration a little bit and little RNG protection, and Allies fanboy stated HOW USEFUL it is, and it is buffed again to this state.
Fanboyism aside, it was useless during its (brief) nerf period.

Some would even say...

Secure Mode useless.
3 Feb 2015, 14:28 PM

Secure mode is fine on T70, but on tanks like the IS-2 and KV-2 it just smacks of lazy design.

I think the T-34, IS-2, and KV-2 deserve to have real abilities awarded to them that compliment their use in the game.
3 Feb 2015, 14:35 PM
Donator 11

I see it only useful on the t-70. Everything else like the kv-1, t-34, and is2 really don't benefit from this ability and its pretty lack luster.

If you changed the ability to be a passive decap that would be unbalanced as people run around the map cutting territories like no other.

I feel like maybe they should get a 30% cap bonus rate or something so that its better than just using infantry or maybe they are more resistant to crits in this mode. Regardless it needs something or blitzkrieg needs nerfed so they can only move forward.
3 Feb 2015, 14:43 PM

Secure mode is fine on T70, but on tanks like the IS-2 and KV-2 it just smacks of lazy design.

I think the T-34, IS-2, and KV-2 deserve to have real abilities awarded to them that compliment their use in the game.

Just like tripwire mines on soviet infantry and medpacks on ostheer.
3 Feb 2015, 14:59 PM
Patrion 14

If you changed the ability to be a passive decap that would be unbalanced as people run around the map cutting territories like no other.
I am not sure this would be the case. You would need multiple vetted tanks, and you would need to split them up to achieve any real capping maneuvers. Thus playing against Soviets would achieve nice asymmetrical gameplay : they have no stock heavy hitters like the Panther, but where the US has vehicle crews and flexible forward retreat points, and OKW has superheavies and 5 levels of vet, Soviets would then have capping powah.

Or it could indeed be OP as hell; this is one of those things that we will never know, because Relic will never implement it. Secure Mode is, after all, working as intended :snfCHVGame:.
3 Feb 2015, 15:12 PM

*flanking speed for t34
*temporary rate of fire boost for kv1?
*temporary accuracy / scatter bonus for is2?
*smoke barrage for kv2?
*area denial flame attack for kv8?
*merge recon mode and capture mode for t70 since they both disable main gun already
3 Feb 2015, 15:12 PM

i like secure moe nd use it often: chase off harrassing obers or pios with t34 and recap the point --> very good, why is everyone complaining?
3 Feb 2015, 20:44 PM
Patrion 14

i like secure moe nd use it often: chase off harrassing obers or pios with t34 and recap the point --> very good, why is everyone complaining?
It is not useless, of course. I myself had that nail-biting IS2-securemode-at-1VP victory. Certainly this ability can win you the game when applied properly.

But compare that with how many times a timely Blitzkrieg saved a vet2 Panther so it lived to fight another day where destroying it would be a game changer...

You also lose field presence by having the tanks pull off capping duty which translates into opportunity costs.
4 Feb 2015, 10:14 AM

I find it works well with KV1s, idk. It's not super powerful but it's not useless either.
4 Feb 2015, 10:28 AM
Benefactor 115

I'd let the tank keep firing while securing, and disable the capping when the tank is moving
4 Feb 2015, 12:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Feb 2015, 10:28 AMtuvok
I'd let the tank keep firing while securing, and disable the capping when the tank is moving

No. A lone tank should not be simultaneously allowed to halt an enemy cap AND shoot at them, that would be op.
4 Feb 2015, 13:10 PM

No. A lone tank should not be simultaneously allowed to halt an enemy cap AND shoot at them, that would be op.

OP like tank using warp engines and phase armor to make it much faster and much harder to hit?
OP like single NASCAR tank circling and destroying effortlessly AT guns or TDs?
4 Feb 2015, 15:15 PM
Patrion 14

If you are used to Soviets having useless abilities, then yes, I see how introducing a useful one would be considered OP.

Meanwhile Blitzkrieg is okay and totally balanced.
4 Feb 2015, 16:25 PM

The problem isn't that it's not useful. It's just not useful very often.
4 Feb 2015, 16:49 PM

I have mixed feeling about this. I won some games with this ability due to my T-34 capping but at the same time I ENVY blitz and smoke ability that the Germans get. I agree, T-70 with this ability is ok, but T-34 or even the IS2 DOES NOT need this ability.
4 Feb 2015, 17:00 PM

if territory capping at vet1 was passive and always on, would Secure Mode become overpowered, keeping Blitzkrieg in mind?

Of course. Tanks are rapid response vehicles that infantry simply can't compete with in terms of map control. I suppose if people are fascinated with the concept of having this ability re-worked, you could make it available at veterancy 1 just like Blitzkrieg, with the same munitions cost and timer attached, and no weapons being disabled during use.
4 Feb 2015, 17:17 PM
Patrion 14

Of course. Tanks are rapid response vehicles that infantry simply can't compete with in terms of map control.
Are you implying that in this scenario Soviet player has 1 Veteran tank for every potential Axis infantry squad capping, and there are no Axis tanks on the field?
4 Feb 2015, 17:47 PM

No, what I'm implying is that having secure mode as a passive ability creates circumstances where just one veteran tank could destroy the income of the opposing player(s) or neutralize VP's with no effort.

Anything that involves neutralizing or capturing territory with increased ease in this game has so far required some kind of investment from the player using the ability. What you're proposing is too much.
4 Feb 2015, 17:52 PM

Vet 1 munitions cap point that instantly captures 5 random points on the map upon use.

Should be in line with a small munitions cost saving 175 fuel tanks as well as ending tanks by blitzlolling through at guns without a care and killing the target.
4 Feb 2015, 18:05 PM

Vet 1 munitions cap point that instantly captures 5 random points on the map upon use.

Should be in line with a small munitions cost saving 175 fuel tanks as well as ending tanks by blitzlolling through at guns without a care and killing the target.

This is a terrible idea if I am understanding it correctly.

The idea that everything should get something new at vet 1 was not a great one, but we appear stuck with it now. Agreed that the ability to cap is not useless but far less useful than the amazing "Blitz" ability. Either remove the vet 1 ability from tanks where it does not belong, and buff their stats at vet 1, or add an ability like "Flank speed", which would only boost forward movement (pretty similar to Germans, so kinda bland though). If someone can think of another ability that would be interesting I would be happy to hear it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49
Korea, Republic Of 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment